Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bryonykate
Is coconut milk safe?

Hi everyone

Just wondering how safe coconut milk is? My friend had some left over from a thai curry she made and I decided to add it to my coffee along with a little butter just to see what it was like and it was so delicious! Thinking about making it my regular morning coffee (butter + coconut milk rather than butter+cream). Is it ok for ketosis? Also considering making a thai curry like my friend did as the curry paste is only 0.8g carb per serving!
Bryonykate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I've heard of coconut milk from a can being used a creamer, but I don't know the stats. You'll have to look at the serving size and the carb content.

One online source says that 2 T is 60 Kcal , mostly from fat, and with less than 1g of carb ( 0.84g to be exact)

So do you consider 1 carb for coffee creamer to be safe? Many would. Go for it.

I don't know how much is used for curry, but the same source says 1 cup of coconut milk has 7g of carbs, so you'd be adding 7 carbs to the recipe in addition to other spices and ingredients. That doesn't seem so bad.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 10-19-2013 at 11:43 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
It is especially good for people who can't tolerate dairy. When buying coconut milk, I always look for the full fat kind and always check the labels to get the one with the least amount of carbs.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I find labels on canned coco milk very inconsistent/confusing, as the serving size/quantity measures are highly variable. I do purchase the full fat kind. I like adding some to chicken or other broths for a bit of richness. A quarter cup seems to go a long way in flavor and satisfaction for me.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote