Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Diabetic food, is it ok? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/815455-diabetic-food-ok.html)

Bryonykate 10-19-2013 10:38 AM

Diabetic food, is it ok?

Hi everyone

So I guess my basic question is, does the SOURCE of the carbs actually matter? Or purely the amount? I ask because today I found these diabetic cookies. There were 9g of carbs per cookie and obviously sugar free, but only 0.4g fibre. Would it be ok to have one of these whilst on ketosis? As long as I keep within my 20-25g net carbs a day?
Does where the carbs come from matter or is it best only to get them from vegetables? for example could I actually eat a few fries if I wanted to..as long as I kept within my carb gram range?
Thanks for any info!

metqa 10-19-2013 11:35 AM

That kind of logic is what makes is so hard to figure out what's the right thing to eat for many folks.

Choosing those cookies might not do anything except use up part of your carb allowance. But think about what you could have instead for that same amount of carbs. ( BTW how large are these cookies?) If you made the almond cookies on Linda Sue's recipe site, you could have 6 cookies for the same number of carbs. yes you lose the convenience of premade packaged goods but you gain control of ingredients and carb level.

Technically, as long as you stay below 20-25g of carbs you could theoretically stay in ketosis, but part of the matter is the quality of that food choice, as well.

The carb limit is not there to see what you can "get away with", it's a physiological limit to encourage your body to stay in ketosis, and by limiting your carbs to vegetables mostly you are getting the most nutrition per carb than if you go for a carb dense food like a flour/starch based product.

The reason flour based foods are considered good famine food is that, just like fats, they are dense in their main macronutrient. Flour is rich in starch, fats are rich in, well fats. Vegetables are not rich in starch or fat but are rich in water and fat soluble vitamins, so you can eat more of them and get more of that type of nutrition than if you ate flour.

So to really answer your question of "does the source of carbs actually matter" , It depends on what MATTERS to you. If you are trying to fit the most low carb nutrition into your day with the least amount of carbohydrates then yes, the source of the carbs matters. If on the other hand maybe you don't care so much about veggies, or the concentration of nutrition and vitamins and stuff and the carb limit is just a stopgate for you, then, no, it doesn't matter. But know that you are giving your body a "treat", not a good "food", and there is no reason that food can't be a treat.

Also, consider that some famous people have lost weight by eating candy bars each day, so long as they kept it below a certain level of carbs. A person could eat nothing but meat and a candy bar each day and still lose weight. Substitute candy bar for fries and you've improved it a bit, but you are not doing yourself any favors biologically. That's not to say that later you couldn't add potatos to your meal plan, but Why confuse your body while you are trying to shoot for ketosis. Ketosis is fat burning in the absence of sugar, and 20g of carbohydrates is very close to biologically no sugar, but why take a chance of spiking sugar in your body with a low fat cookie and maybe jumping out of ketosis cause your body thinks it has a supply of sugar. And are you REALLY gonna eat just one??? :laugh:

If you've bought them, have them as a treat occasionally, but I'd not get into that as a good habit. There are so many recipes that are easy and low carb friendlier than Diabetic packaged cookies.

ALMOND COOKIES - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
GINGERSNAPS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
SNICKERDOODLES - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
3 MINUTE CHOCOLATE CAKE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

cherylockholmes 10-19-2013 02:00 PM

Yes, the source does matter because regardless of the carbs, the cookies will likely raise your blood sugar. Getting carbs from veggies and some nuts is better because they will not really cause a blood sugar spike. There is so much JUNK out there being marketed to Diabetics that it's a sin. They just slap a carb number on there completely disregarding the effect these foods have on ones blood sugar. Do yourself a favor and skip the cookies.

metqa 10-19-2013 07:57 PM

What gives Bryonykate, You already knew that! I just read your post in the past about your success with low carb high fat. I'm sorry you had a lot of stress, but you know , it sounds like you already know the score and what's best for you. I thought I was addressing a newbie.

Anyway, I have to say that I have a bit of bias against Diabetic food in general because they promote low fat as if it's the only answer. Yeah, a product might be free of table sugar, but that doesn't mean that all the starch, flour and other carbohydrates are just free of harm.

I don't know what you are hoping to get out of your keto plan, but diabetic products are not designed to help you be in a state of keto, ADA actually scares people away from being in ketosis, so ADA approved diet products are not going to be low carb friendly and Keto relies on being low in carbohydrate not just low in sugar. A butter croissant, one of my favorite things, is sugar free, but definitely NOT low in carbs.

But I see what you are driving at, figuring that so long as you stay below the number it shouldn't matter. Actually, the type of carb could matter, because for example the way the body reacts to other things in the carb. Take fruit for example. the fruit has fructose and sucrose, the sucrose raises the blood sugar, but the fructose doesn't, but the fructose goes directly to the liver to be processed, which requires more effort and it still acts as sugar in the body so... Then there is wheat which gives some people issues with inflammation even if they aren't "allergic" to it.

One nice thing about Low carb/keto/elimination type diets is that you can par down your menu and then when you add something back after weeks of progress you can see how it affects you vs if you are constantly having a trigger of something that affects you the whole time. Anyway,Good Night and Happy Sunday!

Ps. It's probably okay to steal a french fry off of your friends plate occasionally, but don't order a cup for yourself!!

lovetoknit 10-20-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryonykate (Post 16650066)
Hi everyone

So I guess my basic question is, does the SOURCE of the carbs actually matter? Or purely the amount? I ask because today I found these diabetic cookies. There were 9g of carbs per cookie and obviously sugar free, but only 0.4g fibre. Would it be ok to have one of these whilst on ketosis? As long as I keep within my 20-25g net carbs a day?
Does where the carbs come from matter or is it best only to get them from vegetables? for example could I actually eat a few fries if I wanted to..as long as I kept within my carb gram range?
Thanks for any info!

It is my opinion that where they come from does matter. It would be better to eat green vegetables or an avocado than to have that cookie. A lot of diabetic foods are just not that good for a person. I stay away from starches all together.
Carolyn