Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliot
Stats: 132/117/110
WOE: NK - HFLC/Atkins Induction
Start Date: Aug 2013
If you would be going to the middle of nowhere, what would you take to eat?

After being on a 2 day road trip, I realised that eating from restaurants was just simply too risky. No saying what ingredients go in there. I spent the whole two days mainly on heavy whipping cream and an omelette when I could get it.

So here's my problem, I (am indian but living abroad). Its easy to find what I want where I stay now, including my staple, heavy whipping cream in such short notice from shops on the way while travelling. HWC, the ones I buy need to be kept refrigerated before and after opening till consumed.

I will be travelling to India for a month in Dec (I leave on Dec 6th night & return Jan 5th morning). I am determined to stay in NK the whole time, but considering the amount of travel I'll be doing, I have no idea what I can prepare and keep with me that will:

1) Last 2-3 days without refrigeration of any kind.
It might just simply sit in my bag for 2-3 whole days.
2) Stay unspoilt in varying temperatures.
I could be in a vehicle for upto 3-4 hours at a stretch, then I may be out and may not necessarily be able to carry my food with me, so have to leave it in the vehicle. So considering how high temperatures can get inside cars or other vehicles.
3) Something thats dry and not messy
So easy to pop it in when hungry or when I think its time to eat?
4) Cooking or preparing something on the way is completely out.
So it has to be ready to eat food.
5) HWC is not available readily there
Even if it were available somewhere, I would have to go out of my way to find it which is again not possible, as I would be travelling with a group of people and again no refrigeration.
6) I do not want to risk eating out.
I have once had severe food poisoning and completely went off Atkins induction (was doing it at that time). It ruined everything and it took me almost 3-4 years to get back to everything I was eating at that time.

Any suggestions for some kind of NK friendly snacks that I can prepare in advance and take with me on these trips without risking a food poisoning episode and staying in NK?
Even snacks that will last a whole month (if there is such a thing?) So that way even if ingredients are not available in india, I can buy them where I am at now prepare them a day or so before my flight to India and then keep it in air-tight containers or something to last me whenever I need to travel?
elliot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
Beef jerky, dried fish, cooked vacuumed sealed bacon. Uhm......nuts. Dehydrated cheese.
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/233/160-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 9/9/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Beef jerky, dried fish, cooked vacuumed sealed bacon. Uhm......nuts. Dehydrated cheese.
I just ordered egg crystals from amazon. I'm testing them out next week on travel...I can update you on how convenient/ gross they are or are not. I got them for camping and our hurricane kit, and thought the might be good for travel. I always end up wasting eggs when I travel and it makes me crazy.
nill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/233/160-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 9/9/13
Nut butters if you eat them.
nill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
Jars of coconut butter. Num num!!
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
for survival

jerky- macadamia nuts-almond butter
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
oh- read your post again. Nuts would have to be in individually sealed bags if traveling to different countries. Cheese also. Even jerky.

HM- I can only think of sealed products that stay sealed until ready to eat.

Nuts, canned olives, vienna sausages and tuna with packs of mayo. Actually the packs of mayo would be GREAT! You don't have to refrigerate them and they are easy to carry.

Pork RINDS!

There is a type of coconut butter that comes in individual packets that Clackey talks about all the time. I forget the name but saw them at whole foods once. They are not coconut oil but actually coconut butter that you can just squeeze and eat as a snack.

Last edited by Spanilingo; 10-19-2013 at 07:40 AM..
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
There is a company called You Bars that will make bars to your specifications. They aren't cheap and I haven't tried them, but they look good.

I have seen whipping cream at Trader Joes that is in a little juice box type thing and isn't refrigerated.

When I go to meetings with bagels I have seen cream cheese in little packets that aren't refrigerated too.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
There is a type of coconut butter that comes in individual packets that Clackey talks about all the time. I forget the name but saw them at whole foods once. They are not coconut oil but actually coconut butter that you can just squeeze and eat as a snack.
I have seen a display of several kinds of these packets at Whole Foods. I think the brand is Artisan.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
I saw beef jerky at one of our stores here, but I don't know how to eat them. We dont eat them actually. Do we just eat it straight from the pack?
Vacuum sealed bacon, I have to see. I found a pack of bacon (not much preservatives and stuff) and again as its something we dont eat, I might have to find out how to prepare it as per your suggestion
Nuts yes... and cheese.. maybe canned cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nill4me View Post
I just ordered egg crystals from amazon. I'm testing them out next week on travel...I can update you on how convenient/ gross they are or are not. I got them for camping and our hurricane kit, and thought the might be good for travel. I always end up wasting eggs when I travel and it makes me crazy.
I checked out egg crystals, but not available locally and ordering from amazon is too expensive from here . So I may have to skip that as an option for now.
However do let us know how it is and I'm sure others would like to know if its easily available to them
Old 10-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylockholmes View Post
Jars of coconut butter. Num num!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nill4me View Post
Nut butters if you eat them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
for survival jerky- macadamia nuts-almond butter...
oh- read your post again. Nuts would have to be in individually sealed bags if traveling to different countries. Cheese also. Even jerky...
Pork RINDS!
There is a type of coconut butter ...
Nut butters and coconut butter, except for ones with a lot of extra ingredients, I havn't seen any locally here that I can buy. Coconut butter I have not seen at all. However I am going to find out if it will be possible to make it. I could just put it in small containers and have it on the go when hunger really hits.
Pork Rinds, again wouldnt work for me as no idea what they are and havnt seen them
Old 10-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
There is a company called You Bars that will make bars to your specifications. They aren't cheap and I haven't tried them, but they look good...
I just checked them out and was impressed by the choice and ease of building your own bar. However I doubt I could order it yet as firstly they are soo expensive and secondly they dont ship to where I am at.
If I could find recipes to make home made bars I could do that but using the guideline ingredients I found on the You Bar. I think I will give that a try.

Imagine if we could prepare home made ones, it would be cheaper, would stay fresh if individually sealed and we can have them on the go like instant NK bars! I am going to start searching now.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
Nut butters and coconut butter, except for ones with a lot of extra ingredients, I havn't seen any locally here that I can buy. Coconut butter I have not seen at all. However I am going to find out if it will be possible to make it. I could just put it in small containers and have it on the go when hunger really hits.
Pork Rinds, again wouldnt work for me as no idea what they are and havnt seen them
Tropical Traditions sells a delicious coconut butter...it's called "coconut cream concentrate". Nutiva also has their own brand called "coconut manna".
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
Here are my tips:
You could take protein powders with you.You can easily whip up smoothies or make omelettes for breakfast.
Nuts are a good choice for on the go.
I have personally found that Atkins shakes and bars despite the sugar alcohols in the bars(which i don't like) travel well.As long as you don't expose them to too hot temps,they are stable.
If you are eating out,dry beef and fish fries are the best options.
You could also get nut milks like almond,soy etc that does not require refrigeration.Buy them in single servings so they don't sit out in the open.They can be used in the smoothies.
another idea would be to buy dried coconut milk powder and then add liquids to them.(not coconut flour)
If you are staying with relatives,you can ask them to prepare stir fry low carb veggies for you and with some meat,you are good to go.
IMO it is better to stay LC than NK bcoz some NK foods require refrigeration like HWC,cream cheese ,butter etc and if you cannot cook,then it is very difficult,so soing a plain Induction is easier.eat only the non-veg,eat LC veggies when you get them and stay out of trouble.
make sure to eat something before you go out.
Even if you couldn't stick to your plan,as soon as you come back,start out with a fresh batch of NK foods.make the shopping list and put it on your refrigerator b4 u go.

And one more thing,leave the goodies and high carb snacks back in India;-)
Good luck
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
And one more thing,leave the goodies and high carb snacks back in India;-)
Lol! yes thats a toughie, but I think I will survive this time and no brining back any, but I'm sure they will insist anyway.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Protein powders was a good idea, but then for the additional fat I would need cream or butter to make it more NK... maybe could add coconut milk instead? might work
I'll try to buy a pack of beef jerky and see how I like them this weekend... might work as an additional snack on the go.

Am also seriously considering making my own energy bars. Maybe could try a few batches before I travel and see how they come out.

Last edited by elliot; 10-20-2013 at 01:20 AM..
Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rachelocity
WOE: Fitbit/My Fitness Pal
Start Date: Every day I'm shuffling
What about ghee? You could add that instead of or in addition to coconut milk to up your fat intake.
Rachelocity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
If you want a portable NK food, the best choice really is pemmican. Though I don't know if you eat beef, and if you make it yourself I don't know if you would be able to travel with it internationally.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelocity View Post
What about ghee? You could add that instead of or in addition to coconut milk to up your fat intake.
That's a great idea for a portable fat.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Whey based protein powder can be mixed with all kinds of oils. It it lightweight. I travel with a little bottle of MCT oil, with an eye dropper. When airport security asks about it, I just say it is sweetener (I used a old liquid sweetener bottle) because I don't want to explain MCT oil

I also travel with the lowest carb meat sticks I can find, and a few bags of pumpkin seeds as backup.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
After being on a 2 day road trip, I realised that eating from restaurants was just simply too risky. No saying what ingredients go in there. I spent the whole two days mainly on heavy whipping cream and an omelette when I could get it.

So here's my problem, I (am indian but living abroad). Its easy to find what I want where I stay now, including my staple, heavy whipping cream in such short notice from shops on the way while travelling. HWC, the ones I buy need to be kept refrigerated before and after opening till consumed.

I will be travelling to India for a month in Dec (I leave on Dec 6th night & return Jan 5th morning). I am determined to stay in NK the whole time, but considering the amount of travel I'll be doing, I have no idea what I can prepare and keep with me that will:

1) Last 2-3 days without refrigeration of any kind.
It might just simply sit in my bag for 2-3 whole days.
2) Stay unspoilt in varying temperatures.
I could be in a vehicle for upto 3-4 hours at a stretch, then I may be out and may not necessarily be able to carry my food with me, so have to leave it in the vehicle. So considering how high temperatures can get inside cars or other vehicles.
4) Cooking or preparing something on the way is completely out.
So it has to be ready to eat food.
5) HWC is not available readily there
Even if it were available somewhere, I would have to go out of my way to find it which is again not possible, as I would be travelling with a group of people and again no refrigeration.
6) I do not want to risk eating out.
I have once had severe food poisoning and completely went off Atkins induction (was doing it at that time). It ruined everything and it took me almost 3-4 years to get back to everything I was eating at that time.

Any suggestions for some kind of NK friendly snacks that I can prepare in advance and take with me on these trips without risking a food poisoning episode and staying in NK?
Even snacks that will last a whole month (if there is such a thing?) So that way even if ingredients are not available in india, I can buy them where I am at now prepare them a day or so before my flight to India and then keep it in air-tight containers or something to last me whenever I need to travel?
I would bring some dried meats such as pepperoni and a few nuts and seeds. We eat pepperoni bites, which keep very well on the shelf.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Protein powders was a good idea, but then for the additional fat I would need cream or butter to make it more NK... maybe could add coconut milk instead? might work
I'll try to buy a pack of beef jerky and see how I like them this weekend... might work as an additional snack on the go.

Am also seriously considering making my own energy bars. Maybe could try a few batches before I travel and see how they come out.

Be careful about beef jerky. It can be high in carbs and sugar.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
How about Quest bars? I've heard Jimmy Moore promoting them so I think they'd be NK friendly. They are high in fiber, so I'd eat a few before you go to let your body get used to them. Netrition sells them, and they ship overseas so you'd be able to get them the UAE. They also sell jars of coconut butter and a lot of other low-carb goodies. Check them out.

I would think you could find canned coconut milk and/or cream on your trip, and that makes a pretty good substitute for HWC. Look for the ones with the lowest sugar. In my experience the brands from Thailand and Sri Lanka are the safest. You could take along a protein powder and use coconut cream thinned down with water to make a smoothie.

Another food you could make as you go is "bulletproof" coffee or tea - it's a combo of coconut oil and butter (or ghee) in your coffee or tea, preferably blended in a blender. It's a good way to get a healthy dose of fat in your diet. You don't have to blend it, but the texture is better if you can.

Last edited by MerryKate; 10-20-2013 at 10:05 AM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Whey based protein powder can be mixed with all kinds of oils. It it lightweight. I travel with a little bottle of MCT oil, with an eye dropper. When airport security asks about it, I just say it is sweetener (I used a old liquid sweetener bottle) because I don't want to explain MCT oil
I also travel with the lowest carb meat sticks I can find, and a few bags of pumpkin seeds as backup.
Lol! atleast I dont have to worry about airport security . The flight is short even though the overall travel time is a few hours more, so I'll have a good dinner before I leave to keep me going till I reach my destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelocity View Post
I will have to try that. Have never actually had ghee with my proteins except carbs like rice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
If you want a portable NK food, the best choice really is pemmican. Though I don't know if you eat beef, and if you make it yourself I don't know if you would be able to travel with it internationally.
Yes, I eat all kinds of meat in general but not specific kinds of preparation that are found in the west & europe.
I googled pemmican, and we do dry out and grate meat into an almost powder or tiny shredded consistency... but I dont know about the fat part of it. What we do is usually before consuming it, we fry it with onions in oil... but not too much oil/fat. But from the description of pemmican, I doubt I would be able to eat it though
Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
How about Quest bars? I've heard Jimmy Moore promoting them so I think they'd be NK friendly. They are high in fiber, so I'd eat a few before you go to let your body get used to them. Netrition sells them, and they ship overseas so you'd be able to get them the UAE. They also sell jars of coconut butter and a lot of other low-carb goodies. Check them out.
I would think you could find canned coconut milk and/or cream on your trip, and that makes a pretty good substitute for HWC. Look for the ones with the lowest sugar. In my experience the brands from Thailand and Sri Lanka are the safest. You could take along a protein powder and use coconut cream thinned down with water to make a smoothie...
I shall look out for the canned coconut milk. I can definitely take canned food items on flight, wont have any trouble with that.
As for the quest bars, I am trying to make my own. If I succeed that is going to be way better than everything, but I'll keep this incase I need. Good to know they ship to UAE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Be careful about beef jerky. It can be high in carbs and sugar...I would bring some dried meats such as pepperoni and a few nuts and seeds. We eat pepperoni bites, which keep very well on the shelf.
Carolyn
Thanks Carolyn, most of the cured meats here, whether dried or refrigerated have a lot of additives as you said . But I'll check if any other kind are available.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ncbookseller
Stats: 164/160.5/137
WOE: NK
Start Date: 01/04/2014
Nuts, nut butters, individual preserved meats and pasteurized cheeses (we get ours from World Market but you can find online - 2 oz. size), beef jerky, other meat jerkys, maybe Atkins bars if you tolerate them. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by ncbookseller; 10-22-2013 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Typo
ncbookseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ncbookseller
Stats: 164/160.5/137
WOE: NK
Start Date: 01/04/2014
We've made pemmican before. It is very energy dense and therefore lightweight, but it is food for a purpose not for enjoyment. Personally, I think it tastes like a meat candle if I don't at least add berries.
ncbookseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Elliot restaurants in india are usually very accommodating, depending on where you are going you can ask them for what you want. If you are near the coast the seafood is fantastic, you could just ask for straightforward panfried or tandoori dishes if you do need to eat out. The coastal areas especially have grills etc and a LOT of coconuts.

I spent weekend before last in Dubai to see Omid Djalali, and I literally just ate meat and ignored everything else on the plate. Only put on 0.4 lbs after 3 days of boozing and eating steaks. I know weight gain isn't what you are aiming for but considering how much i drank that wasn't too bad considering i had no idea what was in the food. If you like your eggs ask for masala eggs, basically curried eggs (skip the onion), very nice.

I'm based in kuwait from the UK, India is a nice short trip from here!!
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheened View Post
Elliot restaurants in india are usually very accommodating, depending on where you are going you can ask them for what you want. If you are near the coast the seafood is fantastic, you could just ask for straightforward panfried or tandoori dishes if you do need to eat out. The coastal areas especially have grills etc and a LOT of coconuts.
I spent weekend before last in Dubai to see Omid Djalali, and I literally just ate meat and ignored everything else on the plate. Only put on 0.4 lbs after 3 days of boozing and eating steaks. I know weight gain isn't what you are aiming for but considering how much i drank that wasn't too bad considering i had no idea what was in the food. If you like your eggs ask for masala eggs, basically curried eggs (skip the onion), very nice.
I'm based in kuwait from the UK, India is a nice short trip from here!!
Sure is However but sometimes the actual time from home here in Dubai to home in India can take more than 12 hours and thats soo exhausting.
(I'm from India). Also accommodating restaurants depend on the kind you go to. Usually on trips across areas I am unfamiliar with, its usually the relatives who decide where we dine at, so its a hit and miss kind of thing. I do try to influence the decision as much as I can, but if we are going to be in a large group (like travelling long distance for a function) I prefer to take the back seat and just stay low. I get motion sick too in the hilly areas, so not keen on eating anything while travelling except for something I can nibble on to keep me from getting hungry.
Btw, why do you say skip the onions? I can't image life without onions or tomatoes, it goes in almost every curry dish we make.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I wrote to Linda asking her opinion on this.
She suggested the following as they would stay well in airtight containers at room temperatures.:
Butter Cookies
Coconut Crisps
Gingersnaps
SnickerDoodles
Peanut Butter crisps
Sesame Almond Crackers
Cheese Crisps

Last edited by elliot; 10-23-2013 at 09:59 AM..