Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliot
Stats: 132/117/110
WOE: NK - HFLC/Atkins Induction
Start Date: Aug 2013
How are your blood test results?

Obviously, whenever we explain our diet to someone, we are greeted with rolling eyes and comments like 'your cholesterol is going to go through the roof!'.

I have not yet done my bloodworm... I guess its cause despite all the faith I have in this WOE and how good I feel now, I am a tiny bit 'worried' I may get some unpleasant result and my family might go into a fit seeing that and ridicule me.

I have sort of mentally decided this is going to be my WOE for life.. or atleast as long as its physcially and mentally possible for me to do it. I have been trying to read as much as I can about NK and well, the more I read the more I feel this is it.

A lot of people I know kid me, including DH... but on the other hand I admit he lets me do as I please so I'm glad that way. However the constant scepticism is getting on my nerves.

I am curious, those of you who have been in NK for a while now, atleast 6 months and more... even more, could you tell me what your experiences were with blood tests and how did you family/doctor (especially non-believeing doctors who insist you will be in ketoacidosis) react to your blood results?
elliot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Mine are great.

Now, I've never had bad cholesterol, or high blood pressure, or been diabetic, so there hasn't been a huge turnaround, but my numbers are all in the optimal or very good range. I've been back on plan since January 3, and have had lab work probably 6+ times since then (due to unrelated medical issues). Except for one steroid-induced borderline A1C test (still not bad, just higher than my normal), my numbers have all been great.

And that's with me being hypothyroid, which can influence cholesterol numbers for the worst.

And my PCP is aware that I'm on Atkins/NK. She wasn't thrilled at first, but I made it clear it wasn't up for debate, and she's come around and is now encouraging. None of my other doctors, nor my family and friends, give me any kind of flack. They know me and trust my judgment.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 10-18-2013 at 12:39 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
I haven't had bloodwork done yet, but I highly recommend picking up a copy of Jimmy Moore's new book Cholesterol Clarity. It's great for explaining what all the results mean, and can help you educate others when they look at you in wonder as you stand there holding your outstanding results

Speaking of Jimmy Moore, his blog, livinlavidalowcarb you can find results of his bloodwork which he shares with everyone, as he has been in NK for quite some time now.
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
In the words of my physician, fantastic. I have been ketogenic for 4 yrs and at first he was seeing my every 3 months to monitor such things as lipids, b.p. meds and anything else. Over that time, I have normalized b.p. (no more meds) and my `cholesterol` is now excellent.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I have not had any medical issues so far, but I am considering getting a bloodwork done and (hopefully with good results) keep a copy in my purse so that I can shut people up when they kid me about this.
Ofcourse my body (with its weight/inch loss) is already beginning to do the talking , but some more scientific stuff would sort of help shut them up for good.
I am still scared... a bit of a 'what if...' scenario. I think its due to the years of hearing ' fat is bad and fat makes you fat and cholesterol is fat and fat kills'
I should really gather up my courage and get this done... maybe in a week or so...
Old 10-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

It would also be useful to understand what your blood work results actually indicate. Jimmy Moore has a new book out that may help. It is called cholesterol clariy. Your library may have a copy.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
My blood tests results have improved. Specifically, my HDL is above 50 for the first time ever, and my fasting insulin is half of what it was before LC.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
It would also be useful to understand what your blood work results actually indicate. Jimmy Moore has a new book out that may help. It is called cholesterol clariy. Your library may have a copy.
I shall try to get the book, thanks for the tip. Also the few other books I'm reading, does gat me looking at cholesterol in a whole new way.
Unfortunately the problem (as always) is not me. Its the family, so if my results look anything like 'not normal' to their eyes, I would be in BIG trouble.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Just be careful with the 'not normal'. The labs have preset norms and if one of your numbers fall outside their range it will get flagged. I had a 'diet doctor' tell me that my cholesterol was high. I walked out of the appointment at that point because the high flag was on my hdl #.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I personally don't think it's any of my family's business to be looking into my bloodwork. Just keep it private, it at all possible.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I personally don't think it's any of my family's business to be looking into my bloodwork. Just keep it private, it at all possible.
I agree but when it turns out to be really good, it is worth sharing!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Last time I had my cholesterol tested it was a little high, at 230, but my HDL was 111, and I wasn't even eating low-carb at this time.

I have my yearly exam next Monday and will see about getting new labs done because I"m curious. Plus the Dr. needs to track my FBS and A1c.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Last time I had my cholesterol tested it was a little high, at 230, but my HDL was 111, and I wasn't even eating low-carb at this time.
I have my yearly exam next Monday and will see about getting new labs done because I"m curious. Plus the Dr. needs to track my FBS and A1c.
Hope ur results are good. Do please keep us updated once you get yours. I could use all the positives I can get. *gulp*
Old 10-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Lol! but when you are indian, everything seems to be everyones business . I wish I could go to the doc and just get the test done without anyone knowing, but well, someone will know somehow. So I just gotta find something else.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
elliot, here's a story for you and it happens to be true. About two years ago I was getting ready to start MediFast. Decided to get my blood work done as a starting point. Hadn't low carbed seriously for a while.

Anyhoo, after taking the blood and waiting forever the Dr. comes in all excited and says you are diabetic! 'Bout fell out of the chair. I said, well I wasn't expecting that. He continues on with how high my A1c was, 11.4 etc. of course everything was whacked, not just the A1c. In fact when the nurse took my blood pressure, she asked if I had a headache? Well, noo..

Back to the Dr. I said, won't exercise and diet fix this?! I have to admit he freaked me out a bit. He says no. I knew then he didn't know what he was talking about. After years of reading etc. it was time to put my money where my mouth was. So, I told him, nope, no drugs, I'm going to try my way first.

Fast forward 6 weeks later and the A1c is dropping and continued to drop. Everything improved. I figured after hearing that, either I believed in Dr. Atkins, and the others I'd read since or I didn't. Turns out they are right. And I proved it. This is what convinced me to get back to low carb and make this really a real lifestyle change. I've seen what's waiting for me if I don't...

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
My dr asked me if I was secretly a teenager, as my bloodwork came back fantastic! The only thing that showed up was that I was too low in iron, but nothing to worry about. My blood pressure, and cholesterol numbers are very good, on the lower side of the normal scale, with HDL numbers very good. My liver and kidney functions were also fantastic. I don't have the exact numbers with me, but my results certainly justified my eating, and reinforced that I'll be doing this for life!

If only my joints would be this great, I'd be cheering myself on, LOL!

My dr told me to keep doing whatever it is I'm doing, since it clearly is working. I told her all about my dietary habits, and she seemed surprised, but also interested and said she'd have to read up on it!

ETA: I had bloodwork done two years ago, and although it came back ok, all my numbers improved significantly between then and now, and I've been doing LCHF consistently for the last 4-6 months.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/

Last edited by Mimosa23; 10-25-2013 at 01:00 AM..
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jink
Stats: 5'10: 230/165.2/165
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2013
I've been reading here for awhile, and finally decided to join in. I'm pretty excited about my test results today--
6/12:------ ---->11/13
A1C: 5.1. -- > 4.8
Cholesterol:257 --> 247
LDL: 155 --> 138
Hdl: 69 --> 94
Triglyceride: 167 --> 69

I started low carb July 5th (and more specifically NK since August) and have lost about 40 pounds so far, with another 18 to go. I didn't know what to expect, since I've read that the numbers can be somewhat skewed while one is still losing weight. In the meantime, I find this very motivating to continue on this path.

Last edited by Jink; 11-08-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Jink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
I've been reading here for awhile, and finally decided to join in. I'm pretty excited about my test results today--
6/12:------ ---->11/13
A1C: 5.1. -- > 4.8
Cholesterol:257 --> 247
LDL: 155 --> 138
Hdl: 69 --> 94
Triglyceride: 167 --> 69

I started low carb July 5th (and more specifically NK since August) and have lost about 40 pounds so far, with another 18 to go. I didn't know what to expect, since I've read that the numbers can be somewhat skewed while one is still losing weight. In the meantime, I find this very motivating to continue on this path.
Welcome and congrats! Your HDL number is stellar!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bjjcaveman
Stats: 180.0/180.4/165.0
WOE: nutritional ketosis
I've been checking my bloodwork pretty consistently and have noticed a pattern, at least for me, while in ketosis.

- LDL, including LDL-C and LDL-P went really high!
- Trigs are great and in the 50 range
- Thyroid function went into the hypothyroid range.
- HBA1c is upper limits of normal
- CRP is very normal, much less than 1.

I wrote more on my website, but have gotten in trouble for linking to it here... but just wanted to point out that a lot of LCHFers get shocked to see their LDLs sky rocket... Jimmy Moore had the same phenomenon.

The community still isn't entirely sure if this is a good thing or bad thing, but as long as inflammatory markers are low (CRP) and HDL:Trig ratio is good, then it shouldn't be something to worry about.
bjjcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
That's interesting. I didn't experience that. I wonder why some do and some don't.

BTW, because of an infection I've been fighting for almost a year, my CRP has been as high as 50, and no that's not a typo (under 3 is average), and I've had several other markers of a lot of inflammation and systemic infection, but my cholesterol never really changed.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buttonwillow
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: RE-start date Feb. 2, 2008
Elliot, there are nurse practitioners at some chain drug stores where you can get some medical tests, including your cholesterol count. It's not real detailed but it will tell you your total count, HDL, LDL, and trigycerides. The test is fairly accurate. Why not get a cholesterol count done there, unknown to your doctor or family members. You will get a good idea of where you're at without having to reveal anything to the "unbelievers".
buttonwillow is offline   Reply With Quote