Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Preparing 3rd attempt--Need help and advice! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/815251-preparing-3rd-attempt-need-help-advice.html)

Anjikun 10-17-2013 08:06 AM

Preparing 3rd attempt--Need help and advice!

Hi all,

I have tried twice to get into ketosis and failed both times. First time I started having palpitations and dizziness. I'm not sure it was the low carb, but I got scared and stopped. The second time I was very careful about salt intake/hydration and I made it 8 weeks, but my energy levels were still sub-zero after 8 weeks, so I slipped and gave up.

Now I am preparing to try again, because eating a "normal" diet has me gaining weight steadily, and my energy levels are not all that much better!

Does anyone have any advice on how to help with the adaptation (other than salt intake/hydration/potassium)?

Also, do any of you track glucose levels with a monitor (in addition to ketones)? I feel that I need something to help motivate me from the start, but the ketone strips for the blood monitor are super expensive and I don't want to start using them until I'm pretty likely to be in ketosis (I figure that if my energy level is sub-zero I must not be in ketosis).

Is anybody out there in a similar situation (just starting this way of eating after eating high carb for a period)? If so, maybe we could start a facebook conversation (or personal message on this forum) for moral support!

nill4me 10-18-2013 07:59 AM

[/QUOTE]
Also, do any of you track glucose levels with a monitor (in addition to ketones)? I feel that I need something to help motivate me from the start, but the ketone strips for the blood monitor are super expensive and I don't want to start using them until I'm pretty likely to be in ketosis (I figure that if my energy level is sub-zero I must not be in ketosis).[/QUOTE]

Hi. I track glucose, but I'm diabetic. I. Do believe it can be invaluable in trying to learn how different foods effect you though. I have an app on my phone that I plug my numbers into and it will show your current, running average and goal in different colors on a chart by period. (Week, month,etc.). I find it really helpful and very motivating.

I test my ketones once a day in the morning when I get up, generally. I should email the app guys and ask them to add a ketone chart too. That would be awesome.

If I'm feeling really weird or off I test everything.

nill4me 10-18-2013 08:01 AM

Well I dorked up that whole quote thing didn't I? Hah!
:)

lovetoknit 10-20-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjikun (Post 16647248)
Hi all,

I have tried twice to get into ketosis and failed both times. First time I started having palpitations and dizziness. I'm not sure it was the low carb, but I got scared and stopped. The second time I was very careful about salt intake/hydration and I made it 8 weeks, but my energy levels were still sub-zero after 8 weeks, so I slipped and gave up.

Now I am preparing to try again, because eating a "normal" diet has me gaining weight steadily, and my energy levels are not all that much better!

Does anyone have any advice on how to help with the adaptation (other than salt intake/hydration/potassium)?

Also, do any of you track glucose levels with a monitor (in addition to ketones)? I feel that I need something to help motivate me from the start, but the ketone strips for the blood monitor are super expensive and I don't want to start using them until I'm pretty likely to be in ketosis (I figure that if my energy level is sub-zero I must not be in ketosis).

Is anybody out there in a similar situation (just starting this way of eating after eating high carb for a period)? If so, maybe we could start a facebook conversation (or personal message on this forum) for moral support!

I advise people to keep their protein at a low normal. 5 to 6 oz a day of a protein food is enough for most women. I read in one of the books, (I cannot remember which one) that sometime keto flu is caused by eating too much protein. I eat mostly fat usually in the form of meat fat, eggs, cream in my coffee, cream cheese, and fat bombs. I feel better and lose better if I keep my protein low (less than 50 grams). If you exercise a lot, you will need a little more. I also do not usually eat more than 10 grams of carbs, though that is a very individual thing.
Carolyn

Moss11 10-21-2013 05:23 AM

Hi
Maybe if you have been eating high carb for a lengthy period it would be better to approach NK a bit slower. Try reducing carbs to 60 if you feel okay after a couple of days try 50 and so on. Your body maybe needs a bit of time to adjust. That initial lack of energy on low carb can be enough to throw the towel in if life places a lot of demands on you! I used to eat 200-250 carbs on an average day, it took me about 10 weeks to lose that tired feeling:dunno:! Now going between 30-40 and feel fine, although if I official exercise I usually need a bit more for energy. We're all different, do some experimenting and find a way of doing this that works for you!:)

looseal 10-29-2013 04:33 AM

I don't go into ketosis unless I am really sick, with the flu or a bad cold. The only reason I eat low carb is to control my appetite. So far I’ve been successful during the day. But late night eating is still a struggle. So in the hope of getting fully in control of my eating I am moving into HFLC. I started early October, but am finding it difficult to eat that much fat – 65% - within my 1600 calorie goal. I find the balancing of fat/protein/carb a challenge.

onthepath 10-29-2013 05:52 AM

I have been eating low carb, most of the time for several years. I had lost 60 pounds and was at goal when I quit smoking and regained it all. After I felt safe with my nicotine quit, I went back on low carb. I lost 30 pounds and am now stuck for several months. I did get frustrated in August and went crazy with carbs and gained 8 pounds before going back on low carb and feeling 100% better. But the weight is coming of very slow. I've been thinking about doing a fat fast. I bought Dana Carpenters new book. It looks interesting and possibly doable. I bought a blood ketone tester and was very sad the it read .1 last night. Then I this morning my glucose tested at 123. I was very surprised at both readings. Especially the glucose. I've been under 20 carbs for almost 2 months. I really hate to go lower carb than 20. Food gets so boring if I can't make casseroles etc. Guess I'm just venting. Not sure if I'll go to almost zero carbs or do a fat fast and then go to zero carb. Actually, not sure what I'll do.

clackley 10-29-2013 06:26 AM

Food does not have to be boring...quite the opposite in my mind. It is a trade off but I feel also trading up. There is so much one can do to make good and satisfying foods in n.k..

I am one that has to keep carbs very low (15g or less total) and I never tire of the foods I get to have.

It is important however, to adopt the weighing and measuring and then tracking of your food. This is just a fact for some of us. It is burdensome in the beginning but becomes pretty routine after a while. It was also quite a learning tool for me.

I had been doing Atkins for years and when I began to also track for protein, it was surprising. I once thought all my protein was coming from the meat and eggs but there is considerable amounts in many other foods. It all needed to be included.

onthepath 10-29-2013 07:18 AM

Thanks for your reply Cathy. I have many low carb cook books and I have made my own 3 ring binder of things I have printed off the internet. I guess this morning I was just feeling like in order to get into ketosis I am gong to have to stick to meat and salad. Like the original Atkins book. And not be able to use the wonderful recipes I have found, used and love. I guess I just have to readjust my daily norm. I have never kept track of protein. I'll have to go online I guess and see how to many grams are in what meats/foods.
So what is your main diet? Yesterday I ate
2 eggs
1 bacon
1- 1 carb toast
3 cups decaf coffee with 1/3 tbsp of coconut oil and one squirt devinci's syrup

1 1/2 cup lettuce with 1 tbs cauliflower, 1 stalk celery and 2 Tbs 1 carb dressing and 1 cup chopped chicken.

5 chunks of dill pickle wrapped in ham and cream cheese.

1 piece Italian casserole (4 carbs) with 1 cup lettuce and 1 Tbs 1 carb dressing.

This is not boring, but if I have to go lower carb to get into ketosis it could become boring.

You have been doing low carb for a long time. Any suggestions.

Gloria

clackley 10-29-2013 05:51 PM

Gloria, I post my daily menu daily. Currently it is on the main board on the 'It's ---DAY. What' on your menu today?'.

Btw, what is 1 carb toast?

Bernsy 11-04-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16650840)
I advise people to keep their protein at a low normal. 5 to 6 oz a day of a protein food is enough for most women. I read in one of the books, (I cannot remember which one) that sometime keto flu is caused by eating too much protein. I eat mostly fat usually in the form of meat fat, eggs, cream in my coffee, cream cheese, and fat bombs. I feel better and lose better if I keep my protein low (less than 50 grams). If you exercise a lot, you will need a little more. I also do not usually eat more than 10 grams of carbs, though that is a very individual thing.
Carolyn

Carolyn,

How do you keep your protein low and not starve. I think that I have to lower my protein and up my fat intake, just not sure how to do it. What if you end up taking in too much fat?

lovetoknit 11-06-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernsy (Post 16670066)
Carolyn,

How do you keep your protein low and not starve. I think that I have to lower my protein and up my fat intake, just not sure how to do it. What if you end up taking in too much fat?

I eat about 2 oz of protein per meal or spread my protein out throughout the day. For instance, some days I have an egg day. So I eat about 6 eggs a day spread out throughout the day. I fill in my calories with fat. Usually with cream in my coffee and cream cheese. I also make fat bombs with butter, coconut oil, cocoa powder, and sweetener.
Carolyn

onthepath 01-03-2014 05:33 AM

I get the 1 carb bread on a sight called lindas diet delight.com It's from Thin Slim and it's called Love the Taste Low Carb Bread. It actually has 8 carbs but 7 of them are fiber. It toasts up very nice. Best I've found.

dee 01-03-2014 11:46 AM

I recall reading somewhere (I think on this site?) to be very careful with low carb claim breads. I am not sure, but I think Julian's bakery was one to avoid as the carb counts were not what they were advertised as. Does anyone have any comments on how bread (LC) affected them in ketosis? I used the one minute muffin type with Flax seed and I gained :( Now that could have been from water retention due to the extra fiber but it scared me into going without. Can anyone advise their experience with these breads?

lovetoknit 01-03-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee (Post 16740232)
I recall reading somewhere (I think on this site?) to be very careful with low carb claim breads. I am not sure, but I think Julian's bakery was one to avoid as the carb counts were not what they were advertised as. Does anyone have any comments on how bread (LC) affected them in ketosis? I used the one minute muffin type with Flax seed and I gained :( Now that could have been from water retention due to the extra fiber but it scared me into going without. Can anyone advise their experience with these breads?

On this WOE, grains, almost all sugar, and starchy vegetables are a no no. they will keep you from going into Ketosis.
Carolyn

laniereed 01-04-2014 05:14 AM

When I started using bullion (from the health food store) many symptoms u described went away.

clackley 01-04-2014 06:25 AM

I would be very cautious of any commercial bread claiming to be low carb. It almost always turns out to be of poor quality with very 'iffy' carb counts.

J.M. did an expose of sorts on Julian Bakery 'low carb' bread and found that it raised his b.g. quite rapidly and not in the way a low carb food should.

This is an old post and it appears that the op has quit posting. I would have agreed that a couple of cups of chicken broth might have been the solution.

barrybush 03-09-2014 05:46 AM

Read Maria Emmerich's book. "Keto Adapted", I also am on my 3rd attempt. I have maintained a .7 mmol reading on my blood meter for 2 weeks and have lost 10 lbs. before I could not understand why I kept getting knocked out of ketosis. Maria's book helped me understand why. I feel great, no cravings. I also bought her slow cooker and dessert books.

Elizabeth779 03-11-2014 04:04 AM

I was thinking of getting the "keto adapted" book......think I'll go download it now. Thanks for the suggestion.