Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Do you take supplements? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/815241-do-you-take-supplements.html)

cherylockholmes 10-17-2013 07:03 AM

Do you take supplements?

I have heard that magnesium and potassium are recommended while in NK. I just bought myself a bottle of both. I have been eating pumpkin seeds, which are rich in magnesium, but from what I've read more is needed. Is 250mg going to be enough?

I'm not big on taking vitamins...I've never been able to commit to taking a multi daily (I have an issue with remembering to take them...have since I was a kid, and I don't see that changing after 35 years on the planet..lol), but I do always remember going for the chewable ones. I just ordered some grass fed gelatin from Amazon, and when it gets here I'm going to make my own gummi vitamins..I figure I'll get the added benefit of the gelatin and the vitamins and it will be something I'll want to/remember to take.

snowangel9 10-17-2013 12:14 PM

I do. Quite a few actually. Do you know what you are taking magnesium for or is just something you heard you might need? I take it because it increase energy production, relaxes blood vessels and helps metabolism. There is more it does but mostly that. I take it before bed and it magnesium glycinate, 800 mg.

As far as potassium goes, I don't take a supplement for that. Like I said, I have a fairly long list and I am going to cut back on a few... Hope that helped. :)

My daughter and I both did a health assessment with Maria and she recommended some too. That was interesting too.. :D

jephersun 10-17-2013 12:21 PM

I take a multi V everyday. I stopped taking magnesium as it affects me when I have to use the restroom and it's unpleasant... I take potassium... and I take 4 fish oils throughout the day. I also take a calcium supplement.

Ntombi 10-17-2013 12:21 PM

I take several (D, B12, folic acid) for health issues, but the only one I take that doesn't directly address a medically significant deficiency is soy-free fish oil. I take that because I eat mostly supermarket meats, which have omega 3: omega 6 ratios that are way out of whack.

ncbookseller 10-17-2013 12:51 PM

I love salt, so I liberally salt foods with table salt and sea salt for sodium and "lite" salt for potassium. I take magnesium at night if I'm feeling tired (seems to help) or if my legs are jumpy/crampy. I have also been playing around with alternating high fat and low fat in the diet. On low fat days, I have 4 teaspoons of Carlson's lemon fish oil.

cherylockholmes 10-17-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16647553)
I do. Quite a few actually. Do you know what you are taking magnesium for or is just something you heard you might need? I take it because it increase energy production, relaxes blood vessels and helps metabolism. There is more it does but mostly that. I take it before bed and it magnesium glycinate, 800 mg.

Ive heard that we need magnesium and potassium because we lose it through frequent urination associated with ketosis, and also for cramping.

AnnetteW 10-17-2013 05:27 PM

As a child I was FORCED to take supplement, so as an adult I do have a bit of rebellious attitude towards them, yet I know they are helpful.

I keep trying the magnesium and I keep stopping. I am currently not taking it as I just get too "loose."

I do attempt to take my hormones, vit D, and a multi. I recently added CLA and borage oil, and also probiotics.

But I'm taking a few days off.

Personally I can't get the whole thing to work to my advantage, but I keep trying.

Ntombi 10-17-2013 05:58 PM

That's part of the reason I don't take anything else, Annette. I take so many meds on a daily basis that I can't make myself take one thing more. I figure the fish oil is about as far as I can go right now. It is what it is.

The silver lining of having to take over a dozen pills, sprays, and injections daily is that I lay everything out for the week every Sunday, so I don't forget to take it. :stars:

nill4me 10-18-2013 08:25 AM

I take a multi-v, d3, b12+c (metfofmin depletes), 4-99mg potassium when I remember and magnesium when needed. I have that unpleasant "looseness" that so many describe if I overdo that puppy. My dog and I share fish oil on the weekends.

lovetoknit 10-20-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylockholmes (Post 16647034)
I have heard that magnesium and potassium are recommended while in NK. I just bought myself a bottle of both. I have been eating pumpkin seeds, which are rich in magnesium, but from what I've read more is needed. Is 250mg going to be enough?

I'm not big on taking vitamins...I've never been able to commit to taking a multi daily (I have an issue with remembering to take them...have since I was a kid, and I don't see that changing after 35 years on the planet..lol), but I do always remember going for the chewable ones. I just ordered some grass fed gelatin from Amazon, and when it gets here I'm going to make my own gummi vitamins..I figure I'll get the added benefit of the gelatin and the vitamins and it will be something I'll want to/remember to take.

I take cod liver oil caplets in the morning, and once in a while I take a magnesium before bed.
Carolyn

Patience 10-20-2013 09:18 AM

I take a multi, extra calcium, sometimes extra mag (the chelated kind helps with "looseness" someone mentioned), always extra potassium, and extra salt. I order salt tablets as I was tired of drinking salt water. I am going to experiment with making my own capsules with sea salt, much cheaper. The salt is essential for me to stop leg-cramping, which thankfully has moderated of late. When cramps return I increase the salt. I have to really work on keeping my water intake up, which also increases my salt consumption. It's a balancing act that I am still working on. I don't stress if I forget some of the tabs everyday, but I tend not to forget the sodium as I won't get a good nights sleep without it.

MerryKate 10-20-2013 11:27 AM

I've seen a number of comments about unpleasant side-effects from magnesium. There are formulas that come in smaller doses, and it's a good idea to start small and build up. It is highly beneficial for low-carbers.

I have a supplement cocktail I take as well - B-50 time-release, magnesium, potassium, flaxseed oil, fish oil and calcium. I find I do best on that combination.

AnnetteW 10-21-2013 05:21 AM

I went quite a few days without magnesium, and then on Sat night took 1- 200 mg tablet and got the results Sunday morning. I did use the Slo-Mag in the past with no troubles and will probably go back to that.

nill4me 10-21-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteW (Post 16651811)
I went quite a few days without magnesium, and then on Sat night took 1- 200 mg tablet and got the results Sunday morning. I did use the Slo-Mag in the past with no troubles and will probably go back to that.

I tried the slo-mag....it was unpleasantly fast a couple of days later. I was taking two though. Maybe one wouldn't be so bad.

itsmeshelly01 10-21-2013 07:09 AM

I take quite a few.
I use Melaleuca vitamins. They are some of the most well absorbed out there. I take the womens vitality pack. I love that they are already portioned into AM and PM packets.
I also take additional D3, K2, Vitamin C, Biotin and powdered magnesium at night before bed. I also take melaleuca's omega 3 orange mango, it is yummy!!

cfine 10-21-2013 07:19 AM

I take:
Alpha lipoid acid
CoQ10
Vitamin K2
Liquid fish oil
L-Glutimate
Chromium picolinate
Berberine
Glutathione
MSM
Turmeric w/bromelain

It's a long list, but these are the things that I feel help me with my medical conditions. I would take a multivitamin if I could, but I have a bladder disease that doesn't allow me to take vitamin C or B6.

elliot 10-21-2013 07:42 AM

I take a Centrum multi-vitamin with Lutein on most days, and Premence for TOM if needed.

Mimosa23 10-22-2013 04:15 AM

I take fermented cod liver/butter oil, acerola powder (Vit C), a high strength multi strain probiotic, magnesium (liquid and tabs and oil on skin) and occasionally spirulina and kelp when I think I need some. I also drink a TB of Diatomaceous Earth every day in some water and I use celtic sea salt for extra minerals.

I try to eat my nutrients, but I do think that we need to supplement because of poor soil quality and how food is processed in these modern times...

lawrencep93 10-24-2013 01:28 AM

High quality Multi vitamin
ZMA
Vitamin D
L-Cartanine
Testojack 200
Fish oil (3g total omega-3)
CLA
raspberry keytones
CoQ10

Sometimes take other herbs and supps like horny goat weed, caffeine, gotu kola and more.

RebeccaLatham 10-24-2013 07:55 AM

I used to take a ton of vitamins (easily 30 pills/caps of lots of different things), but then I ran out of money.

Now, I take 2 tsp. Carlson's Cod Liver Oil Lemon Flavored in the morning, and at night, I take 500mg magnesium, 200mg potassium and ?mg of iron (I forget how many mg it is). I have been low in iron my whole life.

clackley 10-25-2013 06:56 AM

My thinking is that having excess fat tissue may be a symptom of being chronically under nourished (not my idea) and that supplementing is a good idea and then I change my mind and think it is a waste of $. Currently my first thought is prevailing. Here is my list....

probiotic
K2/D3
multi
magnesium
d3/mct
salmon fish oil
milk thistle