Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Precision Xtra blood ketone strips (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/815151-precision-xtra-blood-ketone-strips.html)

clackley 10-16-2013 11:50 AM

Precision Xtra blood ketone strips

Found them at Coscto in Vaughan for 17.89 (box of 10). Thought anyone in the area might like to know. It also seems like if they get enough requests, they will order things like this for individuals.

I was paying 20.99 at the diabetes express and had to make a special trip. Costco is much better!! It also appears that there may be lots of folks doing N.K.!

Maddyg2014 10-16-2013 12:19 PM

I have a Nova Max Plus. Will those strips work on any glucose/ ketone readers.

Ntombi 10-16-2013 12:48 PM

No, the strips are meter-specific.

That's a great price, and so much more convenient!

clackley 10-16-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddyg2013 (Post 16646051)

It would be worth asking them if they can get your type of strips for you.

monica1210 10-17-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddyg2013 (Post 16646051)

Maddy, what do you think of this meter? I just ordered it and hear a lot about the Precision but not so much this one.

Ntombi 10-17-2013 12:41 PM

The Novamax is okay (I have both) and the strips are slightly cheaper, but I prefer the Precision Xtra. The Novamax doesn't give you a number if it's below 0.5, so you don't know if you are at 0.4 or at 0.0, which is a big difference! I stopped using the Novamax, and switched completely to the Precision Xtra.

I got both for free online. I'm not sure if they're still available, but you might want to spend some time with google before you spend money on the meters. You're going to need the money for the strips!

monica1210 10-17-2013 03:38 PM

Ntombi, thankfully it was free and the strips were pretty cheap, so if it's not good, I will find the free version of the Precision Xtra. :) I didn't know that about the low numbers. Ugh! I hope that my numbers will be above that since I have been doing this for a month now. Thank you for your reply! :)

Maddyg2014 10-21-2013 05:20 AM

Nova max

I don't know if they have improved the nova max. They are really trying to promote the reader. I got a .3 for ketones the other day followed up with another reading of 1.7. One thing for sure is that you need a bigger sample of blood for the ketone strips than the blood glucose strips. That was an expensive mistake and I wasted a few strips.

cfine 10-21-2013 06:14 AM

I wish I could get the Precision for free. I have searched the internet but can't find it.

clackley 10-21-2013 06:15 AM

talk to a pharmacist. They usually know the scoop on things like that.

lowcarbella 10-21-2013 07:53 AM

great!thx for this info.
I had been holding off testing due to a tight budget.

AnnetteW 10-21-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16651946)
I wish I could get the Precision for free. I have searched the internet but can't find it.

Google "precision xtra free meter" and you should go right to it.

Mistizoom 10-22-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteW (Post 16652418)
Google "precision xtra free meter" and you should go right to it.

Yes, you can find it on Abbott's website. They give you a choice of I think 3 meters. One is the Precision Xtra. Jimmy Moore's site might have a link to it.

cherylockholmes 10-26-2013 05:35 AM

Well I ordered my strips from the universal drugstore over 2 weeks ago and they still haven't arrived. I'm about ready to cancel my order and ask for a refund at this point. :(

Kvalmera 10-26-2013 10:03 AM

I just tried and I got mine. It says it comes with 10 strips, case, etc.

nisha2003 10-26-2013 10:29 AM

I just rec'd the free precision xtra meter. It only comes with 10 blood glucose strips. Ud have to purchase the blood ketone strips seperately

Ntombi 10-26-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylockholmes (Post 16658824)
Well I ordered my strips from the universal drugstore over 2 weeks ago and they still haven't arrived. I'm about ready to cancel my order and ask for a refund at this point. :(

It's coming from Canada, and unless you paid for faster shipping, it takes a while.

Mine took two and a half to three weeks, I think.

Ice 10-27-2013 03:20 AM

For all that have ordered Ketone Strips from Universal this is what is on their website concerning shipping -

New orders completed for the first time may require up to 2-3 days for processing.

Customers should reasonably expect to receive their medications within an average of 7-10 business days on average. Please note that there may be delays out of our contracted pharmacies' control, such as unforseen delays at your country's Customs, drug shortages of the medications you are ordering (which will be informed to you), etc. Note that we guarantee that your order will arrive within 21 business days after it is shipped. If your order doesn't arrive within the guaranteed time period, we will offer you the choice of a re-shipment at no additional cost or a full refund. Please note that this guarantee is valid for up to 90 days from the time of ordering.

It looks like you have to wait 21 business days before requesting a refund. I have had things from Canada arrive fast and others were quite delayed. One never knows how quickly parcels pass through customs. Also, since most US government offices were shut down recently, there may be a backlog? causing additional time to process.

MerryKate 11-03-2013 10:25 PM

I ordered some last week and received them in 3 business days, but I live over the border from British Columbia. I could have gotten them faster if I took the ferry and picked them up myself. ;D

Ntombi 11-03-2013 11:02 PM

Did you get the strips yet?

Ice 11-05-2013 04:03 AM

My stripes shipped on 25 Oct and I received them yesterday, 4 Nov, that's 11 calendar days. Considering it has to go through customs, I'm impressed!

AnnetteW 11-05-2013 04:10 AM

I just found one extra strip in my drawer, whoopee, and I went ahead and ordered 20 more.

Mimosa23 11-05-2013 06:15 AM

I managed to order a Precision Freestyle Xceed (new model apparently) and strips here in Germany!!! Finally, I'm going to get some more facts and I'll be able to keep a proper eye on my macros to see if I'm doing it right... Excited is not even close to how I'm feeling!

Hopefully it will come soon... The strips are 14 euros for 10, so not too bad, I guess...

Ntombi 11-05-2013 07:43 AM

Not bad at all! I'm glad you could find them. I look forward to hearing about your results.

AnnetteW 11-05-2013 02:23 PM

Well bummer, I ordered some strips this morning and they called to tell me they didn't have any in. I kept my order pending and hopefully they'll have them in a few weeks.

So heads up if you were planning on ordering.

clackley 11-05-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteW (Post 16672106)
Well bummer, I ordered some strips this morning and they called to tell me they didn't have any in. I kept my order pending and hopefully they'll have them in a few weeks.

So heads up if you were planning on ordering.

That'sinteresting. I wonder if thereis a 'run' on them?

bjjcaveman 11-14-2013 06:45 PM

As of now... they are still out of stock!

Ntombi 11-14-2013 07:20 PM

Well, shoot! I was thinking of ordering some this weekend. I just picked up some ketostix at CVS, and I'm curious about how they correspond.

BTW, I went to the doctor today, and she told me that there were ketones in my urine. I said there are suppsed to be. :p

MerryKate 11-14-2013 07:23 PM

Check ebay. There are a few lots of them on sale there, and most sellers offer free shipping.

Ice 11-15-2013 07:04 AM

I read on another forum that Universal is not going to carry the Precision strips now. I've emailed them several days ago to confirm and haven't heard a word. Meantime, I found another canadian source, tho a bit more per strip, but still way ahead of US costs.

I'm going to order some from them and see how Universal plays out. The name is Canadadrugs.com, $2.49 each.

I did find another as cheap as Universal, but they DON'T ship to the US.