Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 39
Gallery: Maddyg2014
Ketosis Question

I was on Atkins Fat fast diet a while ago and lost 5 lbs in about a month. It is really easy for me to get into ketosis. In the past few weeks I have not been dieting, having my wine at night and eating what I want. I don't tend to eat a lot of bread, rice etc anyway but I have been to a couple of Mexican restaurants this past week. Anyway, I am still in ketosis. I check throughout the day and I am surprised this is still going on. (Btw, I am using the Reli-o test strips purchased from Wal Mart). However, I am not losing weight but neither am I trying. Here is the question: Does the process of ketosis come from your fat stores, exclusively? Or, does the dietary fat that you eat be converted into ketones?

I have been testing blood sugar and I range from 80- 100 (after a meal).
Maddyg2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,736
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
A person can be in ketosis and not lose weight. If a person is losing weight on a ketogenic diet, the fat is coming from body stores and diet. If a person is on a ketogenic diet and not losing weight, the fat is likely coming from diet alone, unless said person is building lean body mass/muscles while simultaneously losing body fat. If so, then fat would be coming from both body stores and diet.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 39
Gallery: Maddyg2014
Ketosis.

Then all of my ketone production must be coming from the dietary fat that I am consuming. Therefore if I restrict the dietary fat from my diet then I would be dropping pounds like crazy because the ketones would be coming from my fat stores. However, I have read that we need to keep our dietary fat high to produce ketones from our stored fat. This is so confusing. Btw I am not exercising so I am not gaining or losing muscle. Just maintaining my weight in Ketosis.

Last edited by Maddyg2014; 10-16-2013 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Adding exercise info
Maddyg2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member
 
cherylockholmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas, PA
Posts: 53
Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddyg2013 View Post
I was on Atkins Fat fast diet a while ago and lost 5 lbs in about a month. It is really easy for me to get into ketosis. In the past few weeks I have not been dieting, having my wine at night and eating what I want. I don't tend to eat a lot of bread, rice etc anyway but I have been to a couple of Mexican restaurants this past week. Anyway, I am still in ketosis. I check throughout the day and I am surprised this is still going on. (Btw, I am using the Reli-o test strips purchased from Wal Mart). However, I am not losing weight but neither am I trying. Here is the question: Does the process of ketosis come from your fat stores, exclusively? Or, does the dietary fat that you eat be converted into ketones?

I have been testing blood sugar and I range from 80- 100 (after a meal).
Using keto-stix is not a reliable way of telling if you are in ketosis. The only real measure is through testing with a blood ketone meter.
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnetteW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 659
Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/176/135 (5'5", 51 yrs)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: Nov 4, 2014 @ high weight
I'm in nutritional ketosis right now, but I'm not really losing. In other words, I'm eating at maintenance levels. There are a certain amount of calories that are taken in to consideration here. We can't believe otherwise.

Being in ketosis doesn't mean all ketones are coming from current body fat. Fat in the diet, from what I've read, is very fluid, going in and out of our blood stream. The fat in our body goes in and the fat we in goes in, and out, etc.

We can't worry about whether or not it is specifically one fat or the other turning in to ketones, it's all just fat (or triclycerides actually, correct me if I'm wrong here.)

If you aren't losing, eat a bit less fat, use more of your own fat stores.

Just watch the carbs and proteins.
__________________
My Skinny Jeans (NK Journal)
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 118
Gallery: Anjikun
Trying keeping your percentages of fat/carbs/protein the same but cutting calories. One of the online trackers will help you do this.
Anjikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 39
Gallery: Maddyg2014
Nova max meter

Finally got my nova max ketone test strips. Tried it just now after eating a bowl of trader joes blueberries and yogurt plus almonds. Tested at (.3). Last night we went out to dinner and I ate and drank what I wanted.

So I am in Ketosis. Does this mean that the ketones that have been detected our coming from my fat stores as oppose to the fat I am consuming? The urine strips are testing a moderate range.

I have to say ever since I tried the Fat Fast it truly changed the way my body is burning fuel. In the past the minute I changed to my regular diet I would not be in Ketosis. Anybody experience this?
Maddyg2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnetteW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 659
Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/176/135 (5'5", 51 yrs)
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: Nov 4, 2014 @ high weight
The best time to test is in the morning before eating, in a fasted state. That is the lowest ketone reading of the day and it should only go up.

0.3 is not considered in Nutritional Ketosis, Phinney and Volek say it starts at 0.5, so that's your first number to aim for.

Let us know what happens, though you might want to eat very low carb for a few days to make sure you are in ketosis. It stinks to waste the strips. But it's a great learning opportunity.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member
 
cherylockholmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas, PA
Posts: 53
Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
The best time to test is in the morning before eating, in a fasted state. That is the lowest ketone reading of the day and it should only go up.

0.3 is not considered in Nutritional Ketosis, Phinney and Volek say it starts at 0.5, so that's your first number to aim for.

Let us know what happens, though you might want to eat very low carb for a few days to make sure you are in ketosis. It stinks to waste the strips. But it's a great learning opportunity.
Jimmy Moore says, and other places I've read say that ketones are actually at their highest in the evening.
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,736
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylockholmes View Post
Jimmy Moore says, and other places I've read say that ketones are actually at their highest in the evening.
I think that's the point, you want to test when they are lowest. If it is 0.5 mM in the morning when they are lowest, you know you are in NK, as they they will be higher later in the day.

I also have heard that the lowest in the morning/highest in the evening is true for people eating low carb (in ketosis). For people eating higher carbs, the reverse is true, as they are in a fasted state overnight, and that is the only time someone not eating low carb would generally produced ketones, thus any ketones showing up in a non-LCer would highest in the morning.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 10-18-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
RebeccaLatham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 999
Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I think that's the point, you want to test when they are lowest. If it is 0.5 mM in the morning when they are lowest, you know you are in NK, as they they will be higher later in the day.

I also have heard that the lowest in the morning/highest in the evening is true for people eating low carb (in ketosis). For people eating higher carbs, the reverse is true, as they are in a fasted state overnight, and that is the only time someone not eating low carb would generally produced ketones, thus any ketones showing up in a non-LCer would highest in the morning.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member
 
cherylockholmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas, PA
Posts: 53
Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I think that's the point, you want to test when they are lowest. If it is 0.5 mM in the morning when they are lowest, you know you are in NK, as they they will be higher later in the day.

I also have heard that the lowest in the morning/highest in the evening is true for people eating low carb (in ketosis). For people eating higher carbs, the reverse is true, as they are in a fasted state overnight, and that is the only time someone not eating low carb would generally produced ketones, thus any ketones showing up in a non-LCer would highest in the morning.
Oh duh. Sorry...this readhead was having a blonde moment
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 39
Gallery: Maddyg2014
I tried again yesterday at 2:00 pm. I had been out all day so the last time I had eaten was breakfast 9:00am. For breakfast I had cup of coconut and avocado soup. The reading came in at 1.5.

I have a girls reunion coming this week so I am not going to bother with the diet. However, I will be back in force this November. Started at 169.8. Currently 162. Goal weight 130 but I will be happy reaching 140. I am 5.7 and 55 years young!
Maddyg2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member
 
Kvalmera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 3
Gallery: Kvalmera
Stats: 345/334/200
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I think that's the point, you want to test when they are lowest. If it is 0.5 mM in the morning when they are lowest, you know you are in NK, as they they will be higher later in the day.

I also have heard that the lowest in the morning/highest in the evening is true for people eating low carb (in ketosis). For people eating higher carbs, the reverse is true, as they are in a fasted state overnight, and that is the only time someone not eating low carb would generally produced ketones, thus any ketones showing up in a non-LCer would highest in the morning.
Oh thanks for that info!! I was wondering why my strips show light pink in the mornings but dark purple in the evening. Now that makes sense! And yes, I am using the urine sticks until I run out.
Kvalmera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.