Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Blood Testing (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/815129-blood-testing.html)

monica1210 10-16-2013 07:56 AM

Blood Testing

Hello! I am thinking about getting the ketosis blood tester. The Precision Xtra on Amazon apparently is a popular one.

When I read the recent review, it seems to be an older model with no strips to support it. Has anyone had this issue? Additional note: when I go to their website, it appears to be the same one being sold on Amazon.

winefairy 10-16-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica1210 (Post 16645473)
Hello! I am thinking about getting the ketosis blood tester. The Precision Xtra on Amazon apparently is a popular one.

When I read the recent review, it seems to be an older model with no strips to support it. Has anyone had this issue? Additional note: when I go to their website, it appears to be the same one being sold on Amazon.

I don't have an answer but I've been considering doing the same & have read the reviews on Amazon for the same meter regarding the strips.

Glad you asked this question & I'll look forward to someone coming along with some insight.:aprayer:

cherylockholmes 10-16-2013 08:46 AM

I wish we could provide links here, but since we can't...I noticed the same thing with Amazon, so to avoid confusion I just went and purchased mine from Walmart online. It just came in, and I am waiting on the ketone strips from Canada (much cheaper than in the US. If you Google Precision Xtra ketone strips Canada, one of the first sites that comes up is the one I got mine from)

monica1210 10-16-2013 09:01 AM

Was it the same brand?

Mistizoom 10-16-2013 09:52 AM

If you are in the U.S. at least, you can get a free Precision Xtra meter from the Abbott website. Then you need to purchase the strips, which are expensive. I got my strips from Universal Drugstore in Canada, the cheapest source I found, but now they call me every day to tell me I need a "refill" even though I've told them I am set for now, so I'm a bit annoyed at that.

monica1210 10-16-2013 10:26 AM

I ordered one from Nova Diabetes care. It was free with the purchase of two boxes of strips. The strips were on sale and came out the same price as the Universal price.

Now to get over the fear of sticking myself!

nill4me 10-18-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica1210 (Post 16645751)
I ordered one from Nova Diabetes care. It was free with the purchase of two boxes of strips. The strips were on sale and came out the same price as the Universal price.

Now to get over the fear of sticking myself!

Its not that bad. You can do it. Do you have someone else that can help? My daughter or hubby help sometimes sincd I get so tired of doing it all the time. :)

monica1210 10-18-2013 03:47 PM

I got my kit today and couldn't do it. I will try in the morning. I have given birth to four children for goodness sake! HAHA!

AnnetteW 10-18-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica1210 (Post 16649153)
I got my kit today and couldn't do it. I will try in the morning. I have given birth to four children for goodness sake! HAHA!

Did it come with the springloaded lancet thing? I got the free novamax but I don't remember.

It really isn't hard to do and once you do it, it's not that big of a deal. Make sure it's set in a middle range, not the highest. Too low and you might not get enough blood.

Milk your finger a bit first, then give it a go, then squeeze a bit. Be sure you have a large enough drop, you don't want to waste the strips.

I did not have good luck with the Novamax, the numbers were very inconsistent and usually didn't read anything. Then I got the Precision Xtra and all of a sudden I had real ketone readings.

Good luck with it. You can probably find some youtube videos on using a lancet device.

monica1210 10-18-2013 05:44 PM

Thanks Annette! I am sad to hear the Novamax isn't reliable. I have 10 strips to get through and I suppose I will look for the Precision free deal somewhere. :) I remember reading that someone had gotten that one for free.

Tomorrow morning I will try again and psych myself up and watch videos to prepare.

Mistizoom 10-18-2013 07:27 PM

Yes, you can get the free Precision Xtra meter from the Abbott website. But it only comes with 10 free glucose strips, not any ketone strips. They shipped the meter quickly.

I haven't tested in a while because I bruised two fingers last time I checked my ketones. I don't like the lancing device that comes with the Abbott meters (my husband has their Freestyle meter and it comes with the same lancing device and lancets). It is really hard to gauage how deep it will go, even when you change the settings. If anyone has another brand of lancing device/lancets they love, any recs are appreciated.

RebeccaLatham 10-18-2013 07:27 PM

I have the Precision Xtra and I get the strips from Universal Drugstore in Canada. I have not had any trouble with them. I have heard that the Nova Max is not reliable.

nill4me 10-19-2013 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16649420)
Yes, you can get the free Precision Xtra meter from the Abbott website. But it only comes with 10 free glucose strips, not any ketone strips. They shipped the meter quickly.

I haven't tested in a while because I bruised two fingers last time I checked my ketones. I don't like the lancing device that comes with the Abbott meters (my husband has their Freestyle meter and it comes with the same lancing device and lancets). It is really hard to gauage how deep it will go, even when you change the settings. If anyone has another brand of lancing device/lancets they love, any recs are appreciated.

Love may not be quite the right word one uses to describe a lancet. Lol. I use my one touch ultra lancet because I'm used to it. Didn't even try the one that came with the precision extra.

monica1210 10-19-2013 06:41 AM

I did it!!!! Drumroll please............. 2.1

cherylockholmes 10-19-2013 07:00 AM

:jumpjoy: Woohoo Monica! Good job!!

monica1210 10-19-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylockholmes (Post 16649784)
:jumpjoy: Woohoo Monica! Good job!!

:o Thanks! Feel so silly for being so nervous! That's a really good reading and I am very happy! :)

RebeccaLatham 10-19-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica1210 (Post 16649763)
I did it!!!! Drumroll please............. 2.1

You're so brave! And so ketogenic! :jumpjoy:

monica1210 10-19-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16649870)
You're so brave! And so ketogenic! :jumpjoy:

Thanks Rebecca. :)

Ice 10-19-2013 03:13 PM

I went to the Abbott lab and ordered my FREE Precision Xtra. I've not found anyone that beats Universal Drugstore in Canada on price of the ketone strips. Since the site says they charge 19.95 shipping internationally, I'm assuming that the same to the US? I thought I'd order a bunch and I also want my hubby to test some as well. Figure the more I order the more I'll save on the shipping. Not sure how long it will take Abbott to ship but the drugstore says up to 4 weeks for out of country. Hope it's not that long.

Congrats Monica on sticking yourself..... ;)

cherylockholmes 10-19-2013 03:21 PM

No, shipping to the US for me was $7.00. I ordered one box of 10 strips ($19.99)

RebeccaLatham 10-19-2013 07:52 PM

The drugstore is in Canada, but they ship from the US, so no large shipping charges.

Mistizoom 10-19-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylockholmes (Post 16650267)
No, shipping to the US for me was $7.00. I ordered one box of 10 strips ($19.99)

That sounds the same for me. I got them in less than a week. I think for them "international" means outside Canada or the U.S.