Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
Question for women

Ladies, have you experienced any changes in your cycle when starting NK?
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I have, but I don't know whether it is from low carb/NK eating, getting older and experiencing perimenopause (I'm 43), or if my fat cells are releasing estrogen as I lose weight and that's causing issues. But yes, there is some wonkiness. I am on a progestin-only birth control pill (mini-pill) as well.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ncbookseller
Stats: 164/160.5/137
WOE: NK
Start Date: 01/04/2014
No change in timing but no pain or cramping, and weight fluctuation is down to 2-3 lbs.
ncbookseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
Ever since being on LC and in ketosis,my cramps and pain completely disappeared.Cycles are more regular,less bleeding,less fatigue.Weight fluctuations are really low,max 2 pound range.
I am on no pills of any sort,but take Optivite tabs for Pms.And they help with water retention too
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Yes, I don't know if it's pre menopause wonkiness, but after keeping high fat, low carb, including 5 days of FF, my monthly came a whole 9 days early, with no pms symptons, what so ever. After being as regular as clockwork for 30 odd years.
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Many women will experience changes in their cycle when they lose fat, regardless of the method. Estrogen and other hormones are stored in the fat cells, so they are released into the bloodstream as one loses fat.

I've experienced some as well. Despite being on straight through BCPs, I've experienced a couple of bouts of breakthrough bleeding, and one full on period (hasn't happened in a few years) since I've been losing weight again this year. It sucks and I hate it, but it's to be expected.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks ladies! I asked because I was starting to get a little scared (I was late which never happens But Hallelujuia, it came last night...along with a 2lb. drop in the scale this morning from losing lots of water weight. Day 17 and officially down 8.6 lbs!!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Well done on the loss! I started yesterday (first cycle on LC) i have debilitating period pain usually, still have cramps but a bit better than usual, still a heavy flow unfortunately! maybe i'll see some more changes with time, i'd give my right are (well my DH right arm at any rate) to have a lighter, shorter flow.

I was also up from 11st 4lb to 11st 6lb, Hopefully it will go away

Quick question how much water retention does everyone get??

Last edited by sheened; 10-17-2013 at 01:10 PM..
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Well I can say that this cycle I have had NO cramps or other symptoms like headaches, etc. that I used to get. Usually I know when it's coming, but I had no indications whatsoever which is a really pleasant surprise!!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Ohhh looking forward to it!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Mine have become a little shorter...but, the excess oestrogen being released is giving me a nightmare. My last period was very heavy, quite cramps, 2kg of excess fluid ( yes!) that took a full 7 days to lose, and the most awful PMS that lasted untill I actually stopped bleeding. I'm now a week off ovulating, and the fluid retention has started again! I'm taking magnesium and eating brassicas as both apparently bind free oestrogen, as well as another natural medicine....I have a history of PCOS and imbalances, but this has to be the worst :'(
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
I had a hysterectomy three years ago so can't comment on the bleeding but I can say that the monthly cramping I was still experiencing is all but gone since starting low carb. Mood swings are also much better. I think it all ties in to less inflammation in the body with low carb.
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylockholmes View Post
Well I can say that this cycle I have had NO cramps or other symptoms like headaches, etc. that I used to get. Usually I know when it's coming, but I had no indications whatsoever which is a really pleasant surprise!!
I know exactly what u r talking about.Before I had a 10-15 day of 'PMS drama' that ranged from headaches ,throbbing in forehead,itching all over body,pimples and acnes,breast tenderness,heavy and bloated tummy,shooting pain in breasts,severe cramps,severe thigh pain that feels like huge needles being drilled into them,water retention,edema,mood swings ,uncontrollable crying,yelling at kids,cravings of the worst kind oh my...I used to say each period is like giving birth,and yes I had natural drug free no epidural births,so I know what I am talking about.

but today I just went to bathroom and found my periods started,and I had to lookup the calendar and realized it was actually time,no warning signs of any kind.That has never happened to me after 12 years of age.I credit that to ketosis and low carbing.

For those having severe pms like me,I suggest checking out PMT Optivite tablets,they have raving reviews on Amazon,and they have helped me tremendously too.U cannot take them when breastfeeding due to suppression of prolactin.
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post

For those having severe pms like me,I suggest checking out PMT Optivite tablets,they have raving reviews on Amazon,and they have helped me tremendously too.U cannot take them when breastfeeding due to suppression of prolactin.
bummer. I'm still nursing the youngest.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
bummer. I'm still nursing the youngest.
They do have a equivalent for nursing moms,not the same brand,but check this one out.I compared the ingredients they are almost same in every way except this contains more folic acid and calcium.

Lifetime Professional prenatal vitamin
Old 10-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thanks lowcarbella! Will check it out as I think I need something!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliot
Stats: 132/117/110
WOE: NK - HFLC/Atkins Induction
Start Date: Aug 2013
I have always had severe cramping for 1 day before and on the first day. After having my son, that changed to extreme fatigue starting almost 7-10 days before. Since I started low carb in August, the fatigue has reduced dramatically. Everything was on time like clockwork. This month since I am now in nutritional ketosis (or getting there) there has been no fatigue at all and if it doesn't start today, I can say I am being delayed.
Going by the scales, I am hoping today's the day... I seem to have lost a kg that I had put on 2-3 days ago...
elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliot
Stats: 132/117/110
WOE: NK - HFLC/Atkins Induction
Start Date: Aug 2013
This time I was delayed by almost 5-6 days. Also my weight today has come down to the weight I was at almost 12 days ago! a 2 kg increase overall and now the 2kg is gone. Sigh...
Except for a slight lower back pain that sort of let me know for sure and a few ghost cramps... so light I was wondering if I was actually feeling it or imagining it, nothing else.
No fatigue, no actual cramps and no fatigue. Except for the long delay, it has been a lot better.
elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NYCPhT
Stats: 288/266/144
WOE: NK / HFLC
Start Date: 09/20/2013
OMG I am sooooo glad I found this thread!!!

I am relatively new to Keto dieting. I began my diet abruptly about mid Sept 2013. In the first two weeks I lost 11 lbs and about 5" off my waist & the third I lost another 3 lbs for a total of -14 lbs in three weeks. I fell off the wagon at the end of the third week (BDay celebration & family visiting from out of town). Got back on track and lost another 3-4 in October. (BE PREPARED FOR TMI. Sorry) I notice a lot of the ladies report improved PMS symptoms but has anyone out there experience amenorrhea? I have been regular like clockwork and keeping track of my cycles since I was 13. In the past 18 years I've only been late twice and completely missed my pd only once bc I was pregnant. I was due for AF 10/12/13. Had some light spotting 3-4 days before then nothing. I took a hpt at 4 days late then again at 11 days late both negative. I'm due for AF today 11/9/13 but again nothing & no spotting this time. The chances that I'm pregnant I believe are very slim. I am in a two year relationship & my partner always, always, ALWAYS, uses a condom EVERYTIME. I have an appointment with my GYN next week but until then a little feedback from anyone who has experienced this would be greatly appreciated.
NYCPhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jody1958
No help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCPhT View Post
OMG I am sooooo glad I found this thread!!!

I am relatively new to Keto dieting. I began my diet abruptly about mid Sept 2013. In the first two weeks I lost 11 lbs and about 5" off my waist & the third I lost another 3 lbs for a total of -14 lbs in three weeks. I fell off the wagon at the end of the third week (BDay celebration & family visiting from out of town). Got back on track and lost another 3-4 in October. (BE PREPARED FOR TMI. Sorry) I notice a lot of the ladies report improved PMS symptoms but has anyone out there experience amenorrhea? I have been regular like clockwork and keeping track of my cycles since I was 13. In the past 18 years I've only been late twice and completely missed my pd only once bc I was pregnant. I was due for AF 10/12/13. Had some light spotting 3-4 days before then nothing. I took a hpt at 4 days late then again at 11 days late both negative. I'm due for AF today 11/9/13 but again nothing & no spotting this time. The chances that I'm pregnant I believe are very slim. I am in a two year relationship & my partner always, always, ALWAYS, uses a condom EVERYTIME. I have an appointment with my GYN next week but until then a little feedback from anyone who has experienced this would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have any insight to offer, but please let us know how this turns out. I don't think it would be impossible that you could be pregnant, not all condom failures are user failures. I love babies, so maybe I'm biased.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
NYC, you might try reposting this in the Women's Health section of this BBS for more responses. One thing I do know is that estrogen is stored in body fat, so if you're losing really well, your body is probably releasing a lot of estrogen into your bloodstream. It's possible your cycle is being delayed by the hormone fluctuations, so seeing your gyn is probably a good idea. Be prepared for questions about your diet - sadly, a lot of doctors are skeptical of low-carb diets.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Resolution

Jody my cycle started Wed night a full 60 days since my last one. Hallelujah!!! Im happy although this is the worst ive had in recent memory. Im assuming the sudden weight loss caused me to not ovulate so i didnt start my cycle in October. I love babies too and I've even been daydreaming about having another until I missed my period and freaked out lol I'm not ready!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I lost 11 lbs and about 5" off my waist & the third I lost another 3 lbs for a total of -14 lbs in three weeks.
Hey I just realized I short changed myself 2 lbs LOL!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jody1958
No baby this time

Quote:
Jody my cycle started Wed night a full 60 days since my last one. Hallelujah!!! Im happy although this is the worst ive had in recent memory. Im assuming the sudden weight loss caused me to not ovulate so i didnt start my cycle in October. I love babies too and I've even been daydreaming about having another until I missed my period and freaked out lol I'm not ready!!!
Oh, OK. That is odd how your cycle was so different with the low carb. About the daydreaming, yeah that happened to me once when I was first married. We weren't ready for a baby, but my period was late, and by the time it came, I had started to get excited for a baby. So you already have a child or children? Somehow from your post I thought you didn't. My babies are now 28, 25, 22, and 18 almost 19. I can't believe they are all grown. The youngest is the only boy and in his first semester of college, so we haven't seen him since late August. They will all be here for Thanksgiving, plus my son in law, so I'm excited for that.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

My cycle seems to have disappeared.... i'm not going to go looking for it, crippling pain, I'll see this as a respite!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Just 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody1958 View Post
Oh, OK. That is odd how your cycle was so different with the low carb. About the daydreaming, yeah that happened to me once when I was first married. We weren't ready for a baby, but my period was late, and by the time it came, I had started to get excited for a baby. So you already have a child or children?
That's me, always contrary LOL. Everyone else's got better,mine got worse... I already have a 4 year old, my bf has no children. We've discussed getting married & having kids but he hasn't pulled the trigger yet. X mas is coming so well see...