Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Question for women (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/815122-question-women.html)

cherylockholmes 10-16-2013 06:23 AM

Question for women
 
Ladies, have you experienced any changes in your cycle when starting NK?

Mistizoom 10-16-2013 07:14 AM

I have, but I don't know whether it is from low carb/NK eating, getting older and experiencing perimenopause (I'm 43), or if my fat cells are releasing estrogen as I lose weight and that's causing issues. But yes, there is some wonkiness. I am on a progestin-only birth control pill (mini-pill) as well.

ncbookseller 10-16-2013 07:49 AM

No change in timing but no pain or cramping, and weight fluctuation is down to 2-3 lbs.

lowcarbella 10-16-2013 08:28 AM

Ever since being on LC and in ketosis,my cramps and pain completely disappeared.Cycles are more regular,less bleeding,less fatigue.Weight fluctuations are really low,max 2 pound range.
I am on no pills of any sort,but take Optivite tabs for Pms.And they help with water retention too

SuzanneM 10-16-2013 09:48 AM

Yes, I don't know if it's pre menopause wonkiness, but after keeping high fat, low carb, including 5 days of FF, my monthly came a whole 9 days early, with no pms symptons, what so ever. :dunno: After being as regular as clockwork for 30 odd years.

Ntombi 10-16-2013 05:40 PM

Many women will experience changes in their cycle when they lose fat, regardless of the method. Estrogen and other hormones are stored in the fat cells, so they are released into the bloodstream as one loses fat.

I've experienced some as well. Despite being on straight through BCPs, I've experienced a couple of bouts of breakthrough bleeding, and one full on period (hasn't happened in a few years) since I've been losing weight again this year. It sucks and I hate it, but it's to be expected.

cherylockholmes 10-17-2013 05:01 AM

Thanks ladies! I asked because I was starting to get a little scared (I was late which never happens :confused: But Hallelujuia, it came last night...along with a 2lb. drop in the scale this morning from losing lots of water weight. Day 17 and officially down 8.6 lbs!! :jumpjoy:

sheened 10-17-2013 02:09 PM

Well done on the loss! I started yesterday (first cycle on LC) i have debilitating period pain usually, still have cramps but a bit better than usual, still a heavy flow unfortunately! :lol: maybe i'll see some more changes with time, i'd give my right are (well my DH right arm at any rate) to have a lighter, shorter flow.

I was also up from 11st 4lb to 11st 6lb, Hopefully it will go away :aprayer:

Quick question how much water retention does everyone get??

cherylockholmes 10-17-2013 02:18 PM

Well I can say that this cycle I have had NO cramps or other symptoms like headaches, etc. that I used to get. Usually I know when it's coming, but I had no indications whatsoever which is a really pleasant surprise!!

sheened 10-17-2013 03:26 PM

Ohhh looking forward to it!!!

luckymuma 10-17-2013 03:56 PM

Mine have become a little shorter...but, the excess oestrogen being released is giving me a nightmare. My last period was very heavy, quite cramps, 2kg of excess fluid ( yes!) that took a full 7 days to lose, and the most awful PMS that lasted untill I actually stopped bleeding. I'm now a week off ovulating, and the fluid retention has started again! I'm taking magnesium and eating brassicas as both apparently bind free oestrogen, as well as another natural medicine....I have a history of PCOS and imbalances, but this has to be the worst :'(

finallylosing 10-17-2013 07:14 PM

I had a hysterectomy three years ago so can't comment on the bleeding but I can say that the monthly cramping I was still experiencing is all but gone since starting low carb. Mood swings are also much better. I think it all ties in to less inflammation in the body with low carb.

lowcarbella 10-17-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylockholmes (Post 16647752)
Well I can say that this cycle I have had NO cramps or other symptoms like headaches, etc. that I used to get. Usually I know when it's coming, but I had no indications whatsoever which is a really pleasant surprise!!

I know exactly what u r talking about.Before I had a 10-15 day of 'PMS drama' that ranged from headaches ,throbbing in forehead,itching all over body,pimples and acnes,breast tenderness,heavy and bloated tummy,shooting pain in breasts,severe cramps,severe thigh pain that feels like huge needles being drilled into them,water retention,edema,mood swings ,uncontrollable crying,yelling at kids,cravings of the worst kind oh my...I used to say each period is like giving birth,and yes I had natural drug free no epidural births,so I know what I am talking about.

but today I just went to bathroom and found my periods started,and I had to lookup the calendar and realized it was actually time,no warning signs of any kind.That has never happened to me after 12 years of age.I credit that to ketosis and low carbing.:cool:

For those having severe pms like me,I suggest checking out PMT Optivite tablets,they have raving reviews on Amazon,and they have helped me tremendously too.U cannot take them when breastfeeding due to suppression of prolactin.

luckymuma 10-17-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarbella (Post 16648131)

For those having severe pms like me,I suggest checking out PMT Optivite tablets,they have raving reviews on Amazon,and they have helped me tremendously too.U cannot take them when breastfeeding due to suppression of prolactin.

:( bummer. I'm still nursing the youngest.

lowcarbella 10-18-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckymuma (Post 16648280)
:( bummer. I'm still nursing the youngest.

They do have a equivalent for nursing moms,not the same brand,but check this one out.I compared the ingredients they are almost same in every way except this contains more folic acid and calcium.

Lifetime Professional prenatal vitamin

luckymuma 10-18-2013 04:29 PM

Thanks lowcarbella! Will check it out as I think I need something!

elliot 10-18-2013 10:09 PM

I have always had severe cramping for 1 day before and on the first day. After having my son, that changed to extreme fatigue starting almost 7-10 days before. Since I started low carb in August, the fatigue has reduced dramatically. Everything was on time like clockwork. This month since I am now in nutritional ketosis (or getting there) there has been no fatigue at all and if it doesn't start today, I can say I am being delayed.
Going by the scales, I am hoping today's the day... I seem to have lost a kg that I had put on 2-3 days ago...

elliot 10-23-2013 10:29 AM

This time I was delayed by almost 5-6 days. Also my weight today has come down to the weight I was at almost 12 days ago! a 2 kg increase overall and now the 2kg is gone. Sigh...
Except for a slight lower back pain that sort of let me know for sure and a few ghost cramps... so light I was wondering if I was actually feeling it or imagining it, nothing else.
No fatigue, no actual cramps and no fatigue. Except for the long delay, it has been a lot better.

NYCPhT 11-09-2013 05:46 PM

OMG I am sooooo glad I found this thread!!!

I am relatively new to Keto dieting. I began my diet abruptly about mid Sept 2013. In the first two weeks I lost 11 lbs and about 5" off my waist & the third I lost another 3 lbs for a total of -14 lbs in three weeks. I fell off the wagon at the end of the third week (BDay celebration & family visiting from out of town). Got back on track and lost another 3-4 in October. (BE PREPARED FOR TMI. Sorry) I notice a lot of the ladies report improved PMS symptoms but has anyone out there experience amenorrhea? I have been regular like clockwork and keeping track of my cycles since I was 13. In the past 18 years I've only been late twice and completely missed my pd only once bc I was pregnant. I was due for AF 10/12/13. Had some light spotting 3-4 days before then nothing. I took a hpt at 4 days late then again at 11 days late both negative. I'm due for AF today 11/9/13 but again nothing & no spotting this time. The chances that I'm pregnant I believe are very slim. I am in a two year relationship & my partner always, always, ALWAYS, uses a condom EVERYTIME. I have an appointment with my GYN next week but until then a little feedback from anyone who has experienced this would be greatly appreciated.

Jody1958 11-13-2013 03:51 PM

No help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCPhT (Post 16677391)
OMG I am sooooo glad I found this thread!!!

I am relatively new to Keto dieting. I began my diet abruptly about mid Sept 2013. In the first two weeks I lost 11 lbs and about 5" off my waist & the third I lost another 3 lbs for a total of -14 lbs in three weeks. I fell off the wagon at the end of the third week (BDay celebration & family visiting from out of town). Got back on track and lost another 3-4 in October. (BE PREPARED FOR TMI. Sorry) I notice a lot of the ladies report improved PMS symptoms but has anyone out there experience amenorrhea? I have been regular like clockwork and keeping track of my cycles since I was 13. In the past 18 years I've only been late twice and completely missed my pd only once bc I was pregnant. I was due for AF 10/12/13. Had some light spotting 3-4 days before then nothing. I took a hpt at 4 days late then again at 11 days late both negative. I'm due for AF today 11/9/13 but again nothing & no spotting this time. The chances that I'm pregnant I believe are very slim. I am in a two year relationship & my partner always, always, ALWAYS, uses a condom EVERYTIME. I have an appointment with my GYN next week but until then a little feedback from anyone who has experienced this would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have any insight to offer, but please let us know how this turns out. I don't think it would be impossible that you could be pregnant, not all condom failures are user failures. I love babies, so maybe I'm biased.

MerryKate 11-14-2013 12:32 AM

NYC, you might try reposting this in the Women's Health section of this BBS for more responses. One thing I do know is that estrogen is stored in body fat, so if you're losing really well, your body is probably releasing a lot of estrogen into your bloodstream. It's possible your cycle is being delayed by the hormone fluctuations, so seeing your gyn is probably a good idea. Be prepared for questions about your diet - sadly, a lot of doctors are skeptical of low-carb diets. :sad:

NYCPhT 11-15-2013 03:15 PM

Resolution
 
Jody my cycle started Wed night a full 60 days since my last one. Hallelujah!!! :jumpjoy: Im happy although this is the worst ive had in recent memory. Im assuming the sudden weight loss caused me to not ovulate so i didnt start my cycle in October. I love babies too and I've even been daydreaming about having another until I missed my period and freaked out lol I'm not ready!!!

NYCPhT 11-15-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCPhT (Post 16677391)
I lost 11 lbs and about 5" off my waist & the third I lost another 3 lbs for a total of -14 lbs in three weeks.

Hey I just realized I short changed myself 2 lbs LOL!

Jody1958 11-16-2013 10:06 AM

No baby this time
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCPhT (Post 16684674)
Jody my cycle started Wed night a full 60 days since my last one. Hallelujah!!! :jumpjoy: Im happy although this is the worst ive had in recent memory. Im assuming the sudden weight loss caused me to not ovulate so i didnt start my cycle in October. I love babies too and I've even been daydreaming about having another until I missed my period and freaked out lol I'm not ready!!!

Oh, OK. That is odd how your cycle was so different with the low carb. About the daydreaming, yeah that happened to me once when I was first married. We weren't ready for a baby, but my period was late, and by the time it came, I had started to get excited for a baby. So you already have a child or children? Somehow from your post I thought you didn't. My babies are now 28, 25, 22, and 18 almost 19. I can't believe they are all grown. The youngest is the only boy and in his first semester of college, so we haven't seen him since late August. They will all be here for Thanksgiving, plus my son in law, so I'm excited for that.

sheened 11-16-2013 04:36 PM

My cycle seems to have disappeared.... i'm not going to go looking for it, crippling pain, I'll see this as a respite!

NYCPhT 11-17-2013 02:13 PM

Just 1
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody1958 (Post 16685347)
Oh, OK. That is odd how your cycle was so different with the low carb. About the daydreaming, yeah that happened to me once when I was first married. We weren't ready for a baby, but my period was late, and by the time it came, I had started to get excited for a baby. So you already have a child or children?

That's me, always contrary LOL. Everyone else's got better,mine got worse... I already have a 4 year old, my bf has no children. We've discussed getting married :love: & having kids but he hasn't pulled the trigger yet. X mas is coming so well see...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 AM.