Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliot
Stats: 132/117/110
WOE: NK - HFLC/Atkins Induction
Start Date: Aug 2013
Fat Fasts

I remember reading in Dr. Atkins book that fat fasts are for those who are metabolically challenged... like no loss of any kind during the first 2 weeks of induction etc.
I was wondering if you all do FF as a means to get over a stall or is it because the weight/inch loss is just not happening metabolically?
Just curious as I would like to understand the purpose of the FF for those of us who are in NK.
I myself did a one day FF to get me into ketosis quickly when I started (a long time ago) but haven't done it since. Also has anyone who FF-ed who was trying to lose the last few stubborn pounds? What were your experiences like?

Thanks in advance
elliot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't. If I'm losing scale weight or inches, I keep on as always. I've had periods when I've looked to be stalled for up to three months, or more recently, five weeks, but I'm definitely losing inches. Because of that, I see no reason for a fat fast.

I am with Dr. Atkins in saying that it's for people who can't lose another way. I can, albeit slowly, but I can.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: winefairy
WOE: LC/JUDDD
It has been a great tool for me. I do a short fat fast usually once a month for a couple of days. Especially when I've been bad on a weekend as a correction to get my body back on track. Does the trick every time.
winefairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I've tried it. But that was back in the beginning. It was waaaay to restrictive for me. And I really didn't need to do. Just wanted to see quicker weight loss. Today however, it might be easier what with fat bombs, bullet proof coffee etc... But didn't Atkins say like only 2% of the population is really metabolically resistant? I know it was a really low number...

So, if you can lose and eat real food, why wouldn't you?
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
I've used the Fat Fast, just recently, dropped 5lbs in 5 days, and it's stayed off.

I was most probably not a good candidate, as I don't think I'm metabolically stalled, I'm just impatient I guess, and want these last pounds off. I don't want to spend the next 2 months, eating less than 20 g carbs, and working out 5 days a week, to lose total 2 lbs The diet police, might be out looking for me, but I'm ok with that

I have however discovered, that I feel fantastic on High Fat, Low Carb, my energy levels are up. cravings are nil, moods are even, skin and hair are glowing, I could go on......

It's something that I'm incorporating 5 days a week, quite strictly, with 2 days of easing up, adding, slightly more carbs and of course protein.
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
I've recently done a three day FF. I'm also not metabolically resistant, having lost 30lb in three months
However, I AM impatient and want to get below 11 stone THIS YEAR
Therefore I'm planning to do two more FFs with a couple of weeks or so Atkins Induction in between
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
I don't. If I'm losing scale weight or inches, I keep on as always. I've had periods when I've looked to be stalled for up to three months, or more recently, five weeks, but I'm definitely losing inches. Because of that, I see no reason for a fat fast.
I am with Dr. Atkins in saying that it's for people who can't lose another way. I can, albeit slowly, but I can.
I admire you Ntombi, sticking through a 3 month stall is amazing and you got through it!
I myself am kinda stalled now, except for the loss I had in induction, nothing happening now. I try to tell myself I am not losing now cause I am not working out. During induction I was working out and on days I worked out I would lose a steady 1 pound per day. If I didnt workout nothing. So ever since I moved to NK, I have taken it easy and trying to let me body adjust, so hopefully by next week I can see some change at least once a week.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM View Post
I've used the Fat Fast, just recently, dropped 5lbs in 5 days, and it's stayed off. I was most probably not a good candidate, as I don't think I'm metabolically stalled, I'm just impatient I guess, and want these last pounds off. I don't want to spend the next 2 months, eating less than 20 g carbs, and working out 5 days a week, to lose total 2 lbs The diet police, might be out looking for me, but I'm ok with that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkoutchick View Post
I've recently done a three day FF. I'm also not metabolically resistant, having lost 30lb in three months
However, I AM impatient and want to get below 11 stone THIS YEAR
Therefore I'm planning to do two more FFs with a couple of weeks or so Atkins Induction in between
I guess I'm impatient too ... I will stick to normal NK for another 2 weeks as I will be able to resume my workouts in a day or two. Then if I see no loss whatsover I might be tempted to try a day or two of FF.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, I definitely wasn't in a stall. During those almost three months, I went down a size and a half in jeans. During this last five week period, I went down two sizes! That's why I find measuring to be so helpful. I mean, losing scale weight is great, but I'll take getting smaller any day.

I'd also worry about not getting enough protein while doing a fat fast. My weight loss goal is really a "retain muscle while losing excess fat" goal, which means I have to make sure I get enough protein for my LBM every day. I'm not saying everyone doesn't have appropriate goals, and I don't judge other people's choices, but for me, it's easier to keep eating the way I know works, slow as it may be.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
I really do think that I've lost a lot of LBM over the last few years of not so good dietary habits. I'm at a weight, that I haven't seen in about 5 years, but I can definitely tell that I have more body fat distributed all over, especially around my mid section.

I'd be interesting in doing that dunk test, that you did Ntombi to actually see where I'm at? and what I need to work on. Can you send me the link again, to see when they are in my area?
Thanks
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Please tell me what all you're eating, while on fat fast. Thanks
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Sure, Suzanne, I'll give it to you on FB. I'm due for my next test in a few weeks.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternut View Post
Please tell me what all you're eating, while on fat fast. Thanks
If you click here, you will see what a lot of people are actually eating.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Have anyone experienced any discomfort, like upset tummy etc on a FF?

I was thinking I could maybe use FF as part of a religious fast? I used to previously abstain from non-veg once a week but now I eat egg/fish/meat everyday. So Lent/advent & weekly abstinence days dont work. I could atleast do it once a week as a FF and that would be great... better than nothing

Does anyone do FF once a week or so? How do you find it?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
elliot,I had the same issues as you describe with Fasting for religious days.

I struggled with it for a while,about the last 8 years or so,bcoz i have food allergies too.My allergies started after having my first baby,and I was allergic/sensitive to corn,soy,all legumes,lentils,gluten and casein and some nuts and eggs.
I also find tummy troubles with sugar alcohols,whey protein and several food additives.
add low carbing to the mix,and then you take away starchy veggies,all grains,fruits.then I also had hypoglycemia.

Now imagine trying a lenten fast on top of that.If I were to abstain from eggs,meat and fish in addition to above foods,there is very little to eat.

I tried fasting by including fish and eggs only but it got boring too soon,and everytime the fasting season,I started gaining when I added more veggies to sub for the meat.After two trials,I gave up the religious fasting.
I was very upset about this for a while,but I made a deal with God that when he heals me ,then I would fast.I looked up the canon Laws and found that when someone is really sick,in my case,severe allergies and other health issues,I am not required to fast.
Plus pregnancies and breastfeeding are also excused.
Now that I am following and LCHF woe,instead of just LC where I ate lots of protein,things are looking good and I have more ideas.
If you are not allergic to soy,you could have soy burgers,tofu and such.Since I cannot do that,i found a few ideas which may help you also:

Use protein powders.
Use High fat meals like in fat fasts.
use some veggies,soups and smoothies.
Do Intermittant fasting which fulfills both types of fast-abstinence from meat and 1 meal a day.

being in NK allows you to fast more efficiently without being hypoglycemic.
So maybe I may take up religious fasting again,perhaps start with on Fridays only,or do only last 10 days before Christmas and Easter.i could also add IF without worrying about hypoglycemia.

the bottom line is to give up something you most love as a sacrifice or penance,so giving up TV or browsing or chocolate also counts.
I also suggest reading a few Low carb books which describe this WOE,so you are convinced about this lifestyle.The books that I found helpful were Gary Taubes books,Protein power,DANDR-Atkins,Maria Emmerich's books,and websites like jimmy Moore website.The Main lobby also has a ton of information if you are willing to read older threads.
Hope this helps.
180:
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
And here is a Fat fast thread,in case you are interested.
Anyone up for a Fat Fast Challenge?
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
elliot,I had the same issues as you describe with Fasting for religious days.
I struggled with it for a while,about the last 8 years or so,bcoz i have food allergies too...
... the bottom line is to give up something you most love as a sacrifice or penance,so giving up TV or browsing or chocolate also counts.
I also suggest reading a few Low carb books which describe this WOE,so you are convinced about this lifestyle.The books that I found helpful were Gary Taubes books,Protein power,DANDR-Atkins,Maria Emmerich's books,and websites like jimmy Moore website.The Main lobby also has a ton of information if you are willing to read older threads.
Hope this helps.
I get what you mean, ever since I started LC-ing or rather LCHF-ing, I too have noticed that some foods give my body weird reactions. The latest one to date is the tip of my little finger & index finger getting painfully swollen. I am trying to figure what it is, if its just a phase or if its something I am eating.
I discovered recently I am allergic to Ivy based products too (my whole body swelled up on taking some herbal sugar free cough syrup).

I think once a week fat fast would work for both of us. Also I liked your idea of abstaining the last 10 days or so and IF. Its still tough but more doable. Maybe instead of skipping the whole protein set, you could skip any one of it that you actually love more than the others. In my case I prefer meat to fish any day. Eggs is like my emergency food, so no way I skip that... if all else fails there is always egg.
Yes, it is all about giving up something you love, but since LCHF, I have stopped eating chocolates altogether so couldnt give up that... then the only other thing I can think of is running. Lol!. The most important thing of fasting and abstinence after all is to 'try with your heart' and not because its mandatory.