Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   How safe is coconut flour? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/814780-how-safe-coconut-flour.html)

cherylockholmes 10-14-2013 06:51 AM

How safe is coconut flour?
 
Do any of you include coconut flour while in NK and has it caused any stalls? Also, if using to bake, what is the best sweetener? I hate the taste of Stevia, and would prefer to stay away from Splenda. I've been seeing a lot of posts about Swerve, but it appears that it has carbs. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Checkoutchick 10-14-2013 03:25 PM

I do use coconut flour but I don't eat much in the way of 'baked' goods, so I can't comment on it's potential to slow/stall Weightloss.

The best sweeteners appear to be Erythritol and Xylitol. I use and like Xylitol and prefer it to Splenda. I've not used Erythritol as yet.

AnnetteW 10-14-2013 04:53 PM

I don't care for coconut flour so I don't really bake anything with it. I don't bake currently anyway, but hope to in the future.

As far as sweetners (when I have baked...lol) I use a mixture of half splenda, half erythritol. I keep that combo in a little Truvia container and have been known to fool family members too.

cfine 10-14-2013 06:18 PM

Swerve is a brand of erythritol. It's actually my favorite brand.

cherylockholmes 10-14-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16643343)
Swerve is a brand of erythritol. It's actually my favorite brand.


I didn't realize that!! Thanks!

MerryKate 10-14-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16643343)
Swerve is a brand of erythritol. It's actually my favorite brand.

I've used Swerve successfully in baking, and I like everything but the price. It really does substitute one for one for sugar, and there's no tummy upset from it. It's a blend of erythritol and oligosaccharides (from chicory). It seems that you need to combine several SF sweeteners to get the best flavor. My favorite blend is sucralose and monk fruit - the monk fruit has a bit of a fruity flavor, and the combination of the two tastes closest to sugar in my book.

Coconut flour is a bit carby, but since you're using such a small amount it doesn't add a significant amount of carbs to recipes. I haven't yet found it stalls me, but I've only recently started doing a lot of baking with it. I found a recipe for zucchini bread on another site and the combination of coconut flour in a 1:3 ratio with almond flour works really nicely to replace wheat flour. I've been making zucchini bread every week since then (I had a GIANT zucchini to use up), with no problems. And...when I've shared the results with non-low-carbers they were fooled. Even my brother-in-law liked it, and he won't touch anything he knows is low-carb (we had some flops in the early days). I'm going to have to go back through my recipes and rework them all.

cherylockholmes 10-15-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16643612)
I found a recipe for zucchini bread on another site and the combination of coconut flour in a 1:3 ratio with almond flour works really nicely to replace wheat flour. I've been making zucchini bread every week since then (I had a GIANT zucchini to use up), with no problems. And...when I've shared the results with non-low-carbers they were fooled. Even my brother-in-law liked it, and he won't touch anything he knows is low-carb (we had some flops in the early days). I'm going to have to go back through my recipes and rework them all.

I'd love if you'd share that zucchini bread recipe! I have 2 of them that I need to use up, and I've got coconut and almond flours on hand!

snowangel9 10-15-2013 11:30 AM

I like the combo of Xyla (xylitol) and swerve. Just checked the swerve and those carbs are sugar alcohols. So, technically you wouldn't count them. The Xyla is made from hardwoods, sounds weird but it's been used else where for a while. The only draw back is it has more calories. But I like the two together.

Coconut and almond four aren't a one to one switch. So MerryKate, do you use that mixture to bake? So, 1 cup of coconut flour and 3 cups of almond flour? Maria uses mostly almond flour but does give options for coconut in her newer recipes. But, if you use that mix and it works, well heck that'd open things up again hu? :D

Re-learning to bake was one of the biggest challenges back when. I got tired of all the different ingredients you needed to try anything. So it's nice to see recipes using only almond flour or coconut flour. So, much easier...

MerryKate 10-18-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylockholmes (Post 16643675)
I'd love if you'd share that zucchini bread recipe! I have 2 of them that I need to use up, and I've got coconut and almond flours on hand!

Here you go:

Zucchini Bread

1 cup almond flour
cup coconut flour
teaspoon salt
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon xanthan gum
teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 packets Truvia
5 eggs
cup butter
3 tablespoons coconut oil, liquified
1 cup equivalent sugar substitute
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 oz. SF davinci Praline syrup
1 cup zucchini, grated
cup pecans

Preheat oven to 325. In small bowl, mix together almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda, xanthan gum, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.

In large bowl, beat eggs, butter, coconut oil, sweeteners, and extract. When smooth, stir in flour mixture a bit at a time until well combined. Finally, stir in zucchini and nuts.

Pour mixture into a silicone pan and bake for 25-30 minutes at 325 degrees. Cool for about 15 minutes, then remove from pan. Cool completely. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 16 pieces, each 180 cals, 6.4 carb, 2.7 fiber (3.7 net carbs) and 6.6 g protein.

cherylockholmes 10-19-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16649590)
Here you go:

Zucchini Bread

1 cup almond flour
cup coconut flour
teaspoon salt
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon xanthan gum
teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 packets Truvia
5 eggs
cup butter
3 tablespoons coconut oil, liquified
1 cup equivalent sugar substitute
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 oz. SF davinci Praline syrup
1 cup zucchini, grated
cup pecans

Preheat oven to 325. In small bowl, mix together almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda, xanthan gum, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.

In large bowl, beat eggs, butter, coconut oil, sweeteners, and extract. When smooth, stir in flour mixture a bit at a time until well combined. Finally, stir in zucchini and nuts.

Pour mixture into a silicone pan and bake for 25-30 minutes at 325 degrees. Cool for about 15 minutes, then remove from pan. Cool completely. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 16 pieces, each 180 cals, 6.4 carb, 2.7 fiber (3.7 net carbs) and 6.6 g protein.

Thank you so much!! I'm not a fan of the taste of Stevia...do you think I'd notice leaving it out since there's already a cup of sugar substitute?

alex_in_wonderland 10-19-2013 11:07 PM

If you are interested in cooking w/ coconut flour and have a WinCo/Cub Foods near you, it is only $3.24 a lb. there right now, organic too! At least in neck of the woods (PNW).

I have made "keto-donuts" w/ coconut flour, brownies, pancakes, pizza crust, and used it as an ingredient in "breading" too. In my opinion the amount usually used is not enough to leave a coconutty taste, unless you play it up on purpose. I am on Atkins/LC but tend to eat more NK style, I have to watch protein sometimes b/c of insulin resistance. My body is super good at converting that protein to glucose!

Patience 10-20-2013 07:26 AM

What's the carb difference between coco flour and almond?

MerryKate 10-20-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylockholmes (Post 16649698)
Thank you so much!! I'm not a fan of the taste of Stevia...do you think I'd notice leaving it out since there's already a cup of sugar substitute?

Sure - use any sweetener you like. I think I added the truvia in because my original recipe wasn't quite sweet enough. The last time I did this recipe I used 1/8 tsp of sucralose powder (not splenda - the concentrate) and it came out very nicely.

I'll also note that you don't have to use the Praline Davinci if you can't find it. I use that to get a brown sugar flavor in the recipe, but its not a make-or-break.

MerryKate 10-20-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella (Post 16650808)
What's the carb difference between coco flour and almond?

1/4 cup of coconut flour is 20 carbs, 12 fiber for 8 net carbs.
1/4 cup of almond flour 6 carbs, 3 fiber for 3 net carbs
1/4 cup of almond meal (with the skins included) is 5 carbs, 3 fiber for 2 net carbs

I like to use the almond meal in a lot of recipes because I find it produces more of a whole-wheat texture to baked goods. It's also a lot cheaper - Trader Joe's sells it for $4.99/lb, and the refined almond flour is around $6.50 lb.

keo480 11-07-2013 02:25 PM

I personally like coconut flour and use it in a simple, yet yummy blueberry muffin recipe. The recipe makes 6 muffins yet only calls for 5 tablespoons of coconut flour because of the amount of liquid it absorbs. So to eat a muffin with less than 1 tablespoon of the flour is pretty good and it doesn't stall me. I plan on making cupcakes for myself with it for my son's birthday next week and the amount of flour is so little, again, I don't see it affecting me unless I eat all the cupcakes at once. Which, won't happen.

alex_in_wonderland 11-08-2013 12:56 PM

Keo, can you share your recipe? :)

keo480 11-08-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_in_wonderland (Post 16676316)
Keo, can you share your recipe? :)

Even DH liked the recipe and he doesn't low carb. But I added fresh blueberries.

I got it from lowcarbsosimple
3 extra large eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream (I personally measure 1/2 cup because the weather affects how much the coconut flour takes).
1/3 erythritol crystals (I use granulated splenda)
5 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 cup blueberries frozen or fresh


preheat oven to 350

line the muffin pan with 6 foil liners (i found the papers still not stuck with spray)

whisk together the eggs, cream and erythritol

add the coconut flour to the egg mixture until smooth

wait 5 minutes until batter is thick and add the blueberries. (I personally don't wait because it gets thick while whisking, at this point I will add more cream if I feel it's necessary).

scoop into muffin cups and bake 25-30 minutes. (It takes 22-24 minutes in my oven so set your timer at 20 minutes to check).

Kelly

alex_in_wonderland 11-08-2013 11:44 PM

Thanks! Going to try it soon!:)

keo480 11-11-2013 08:49 PM

I tried a red velvet coconut flour cupcake today too ;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:46 PM.