Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliot
Stats: 132/117/110
WOE: NK - HFLC/Atkins Induction
Start Date: Aug 2013
Newbie into NK.

Hello,

I'm new to NK, but have been on Atkins induction for a while. I did read through the other posts in this forum and was really interested by the post "Just the Facts, Ma'am" (Thankyou MerryKate)

I'm 4'9" with a small body frame and my ideal weight would be 48kg. I am 56kg now and trying to work out my protein and calories based on that.

Quote:
Dr. Phinney defined the appropriate protein range as being between 1.5 and 2.0 grams per kg of ideal weight. The formula looks like this:
Your goal kg is (goal_weight/2.2) so (goal_weight/2.2)*1.5 = protein grams daily.
So my protein would be: 48kg/2.2*1.5 = 32.7 grams
or to round it off, about 40grams?

Quote:
Dr. Phinney gives a range of 30-35kCal per goal kg weight.
Phinney's formula for daily calories: ((goal_weight/2.2)*30) or ((goal_weight/2.2)*35).
So, if your goal weight is 150 then (150/2.2)*35 = 2386. ~2400 calories is what a normally active person that has a correct weight of 150 pounds would burn daily.
My calorie needs would be: 48kg/2.2*35 = 763.6
or to round it off, about 800 cals.
OR
My calorie needs would be: 106lbs/2.2*35 = 1686.3
or to round it off, about 1690 cals.

I am a bit worried about consuming 1600 cals. While on atkins induction I was barely able to stick to 1000 as I was not hungry and was always feeling full. Now since I moved to NK, and my carbs have come down even more, I feel hungry and I can maybe get upto 1300 cals... but more than that is tough at the moment... I may be able to build up to 1600 gradually as I increase my carb intake a bit more to finally workup to 30-50g as I reach a maintenance phase.

Currently its been a week since I started NK, I had a lot of fatigue the first 3 days, but now no problems with fatigue at all. Getting my sodium and potassium in and will be getting magnesium soon for my leg cramps. I run once or twice a week but since Atkins induction & NK, its been tough to run (I walk instead) so just waiting to get over that and return to running. Days I run/walk I can take in more calories ofcourse...

Also is it realistic for me to hope to lose 3-4kg atleast by Nov end? I am losing inches but would like to see the weight go off too, so that my feet is running with less weight on it.. I am kinda injury prone (on my feet) and my Doc asked me to lose as much weight as possible and tone my legs a bit at least (got thunder thighs/legs).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance

Last edited by elliot; 10-13-2013 at 01:18 AM..
elliot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Hi there!! Well done for sticking out the first few days, they are really tough!!

I'm new too so just going with trial and error at the moment but there are some fantastic commentators on these boards who really know their stuff! I'm sure they will be able to orovide some guidance.

One thing i would say is just eat how much you want, i have the odd day where i'm starving but mostly not so much, so i'm sure it all balances out.

Good luck x
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Hi Sheened, thanks for the reply.
Yes the first week was a bit tough, I kept drinking broth and salt solution with Morton's lite salt to get me through, but it was still ok. Glad that is over.
I just hope I'm doing this right... Next week I'll be back to the gym, so I can be sure if I'm losing inches & if my endurance is improving on NK.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
Hello,

I'm new to NK, but have been on Atkins induction for a while. I did read through the other posts in this forum and was really interested by the post "Just the Facts, Ma'am" (Thankyou MerryKate)

I'm 4'9" with a small body frame and my ideal weight would be 48kg. I am 56kg now and trying to work out my protein and calories based on that.

So my protein would be: 48kg/2.2*1.5 = 32.7 grams
or to round it off, about 40grams?
It is okay to round up, and you may find you need a little more protein than the calculator tells you to eat.

Quote:
My calorie needs would be: 48kg/2.2*35 = 763.6
or to round it off, about 800 cals.
OR
My calorie needs would be: 106lbs/2.2*35 = 1686.3
or to round it off, about 1690 cals.

I am a bit worried about consuming 1600 cals. While on atkins induction I was barely able to stick to 1000 as I was not hungry and was always feeling full. Now since I moved to NK, and my carbs have come down even more, I feel hungry and I can maybe get upto 1300 cals... but more than that is tough at the moment... I may be able to build up to 1600 gradually as I increase my carb intake a bit more to finally workup to 30-50g as I reach a maintenance phase.
I would not be concerned with calories at all. Calories mean nothing in the human body. After you decide on the protein amount you want to eat and add the carbs you want to eat, just eat enough fat to keep you from being hungry. And as far as working up your carbs, you may or may not be able to do that. Personally, I have been doing this for over four years, and if I eat any more than 20-25 total grams of carbs (not net carbs), I start gaining weight. I would not be concerned about trying to increase carbs until you reach your goal, and then start experimenting.

Quote:
Currently its been a week since I started NK, I had a lot of fatigue the first 3 days, but now no problems with fatigue at all. Getting my sodium and potassium in and will be getting magnesium soon for my leg cramps. I run once or twice a week but since Atkins induction & NK, its been tough to run (I walk instead) so just waiting to get over that and return to running. Days I run/walk I can take in more calories ofcourse...
There are two schools of thought on running. The one I subscribe to is that running is not healthy, causes stress and overproduction of cortisol (causing fat gain) and is hard on the joints. Plus, for people who have "broken" metabolisms, running will not burn body fat, but will actually cause the metabolism to slow down to conserve body fat. Just something to think about.

Gary Taubes is a big proponent of the theory that exercising too much (such as running and other "chronic cardio") only increases appetite and is counterproductive. Exercise, within reason, is a good thing, but not necessarily for weight loss.

Consider lifting weights instead of cardio.

Quote:
Also is it realistic for me to hope to lose 3-4kg atleast by Nov end? I am losing inches but would like to see the weight go off too, so that my feet is running with less weight on it.. I am kinda injury prone (on my feet) and my Doc asked me to lose as much weight as possible and tone my legs a bit at least (got thunder thighs/legs).

Thoughts? Thanks in advance
There is no way to tell how realistic your goal is. Everyone is so different! Try setting goals that you know you can succeed at, like deciding what to eat and sticking to it, or a goal for walking or lifting weights and sticking to them. So many people try to set a time goal for weight loss, and the truth is that not only do you not know how long it will take your body to heal and start shedding the fat, you also don't know if you will be able to reach your weight goal at all.

I don't say this to be discouraging, but, at a certain point of damage, the body may not be able to heal enough to achieve perfect body composition.

So do the best you can and hope for the best.

By the way, I have still not reached my goal, but I cam getting closer after all these years. As of yesterday, I need to lose only 6.2 more pounds of fat and I need to gain only 2.2 more pounds of muscle to reach my very conservative goal of 30% body fat and weight of 136 pounds. I am 57 years old, menopausal and 5'3" tall. I also have Type 2 Diabetes, which is 100% controlled by the way I eat. I do not take medication or insulin.

I eat 120g fat, 90g protein and 25g total carbs (not net carbs).

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monica1210
Stats: 168/148/135-140 5'6" Age 45
Start Date: 1/2/2012 started NK 9/7/13
Math is NOT my forte. So please let me know if I am doing this right....if my ideal weight is 140, then I would shoot for no more than 29 for protein?

If that's true....I have been almost twice that amount.
monica1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica1210 View Post
Math is NOT my forte. So please let me know if I am doing this right....if my ideal weight is 140, then I would shoot for no more than 29 for protein?

If that's true....I have been almost twice that amount.
No. Going by Phinney's forumula, 140lbs.=63.5 kg. So you want to keep somewhere in the range of 95-127g protein.

"Dr. Phinney defined the appropriate protein range as being between 1.5 and 2.0 grams per kg of ideal weight. The formula looks like this:

Your goal kg is (goal_weight/2.2) so (goal_weight/2.2)*1.5 = protein grams daily."
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Oh gosh, that means I am not eating enough protein then. I average somewhere in the 70's.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I've been focusing more on my percentages of fat and keeping it above 70%. Not really tracking the numbers.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Just tracking percentages does not work. You hae to go by the absolute number of grams of fat, protein and carbs. You could be eating way too little or way too much and the percentages would still look right.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Rebecca. I will look more at those numbers and try to get more protein. Oh man! That's not going to be easy but will do some more tweaking. Thanks!

And thank you for the math help everyone! My math issues can be a horrible embarrassment.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Elliot, Don't divide by 2.2 if you are using kg already. That is to convert from lbs to kg.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
Elliot, Don't divide by 2.2 if you are using kg already. That is to convert from lbs to kg.
Oh, good catch. I was confused by the numbers but didn't quite "get it".

Approximately 1600 cals for someone at 4'9" for maintenance, sounds about right (if not even a smidge high.) Depends on someone's activity level and age of course.

But they are always good goals to aim for, a number to start at, and to go from there.

That's of course, if you even choose to track calories.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
Oh! I didnt know that... yes I was a bit confused myself...I have bought their book but still to reach the bits mentioned here...
So my new numbers would be:
Quote:
Protein: 48kg*1.5 = 72 grams
Daily calorie needs would be: 48kg*35 = 1680
It might help to explain the less protein could be why I was feeling hungry often. I am going to log these in to work out what I need based on that. Thanks for the clarification Liz1959

Last edited by elliot; 10-14-2013 at 10:42 PM..
Old 10-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
It is okay to round up, and you may find you need a little more protein than the calculator tells you to eat.
I would not be concerned with calories at all. Calories mean nothing in the human body. After you decide on the protein amount you want to eat and add the carbs you want to eat, just eat enough fat to keep you from being hungry. And as far as working up your carbs, you may or may not be able to do that. Personally, I have been doing this for over four years, and if I eat any more than 20-25 total grams of carbs (not net carbs), I start gaining weight. I would not be concerned about trying to increase carbs until you reach your goal, and then start experimenting.
There are two schools of thought on running. The one I subscribe to is that running is not healthy, causes stress and overproduction of cortisol (causing fat gain) and is hard on the joints. Plus, for people who have "broken" metabolisms, running will not burn body fat, but will actually cause the metabolism to slow down to conserve body fat. Just something to think about.
Gary Taubes is a big proponent of the theory that exercising too much (such as running and other "chronic cardio") only increases appetite and is counterproductive. Exercise, within reason, is a good thing, but not necessarily for weight loss.
Consider lifting weights instead of cardio.
There is no way to tell how realistic your goal is. Everyone is so different! Try setting goals that you know you can succeed at, like deciding what to eat and sticking to it, or a goal for walking or lifting weights and sticking to them. So many people try to set a time goal for weight loss, and the truth is that not only do you not know how long it will take your body to heal and start shedding the fat, you also don't know if you will be able to reach your weight goal at all.
I don't say this to be discouraging, but, at a certain point of damage, the body may not be able to heal enough to achieve perfect body composition.
So do the best you can and hope for the best.
By the way, I have still not reached my goal, but I cam getting closer after all these years. As of yesterday, I need to lose only 6.2 more pounds of fat and I need to gain only 2.2 more pounds of muscle to reach my very conservative goal of 30% body fat and weight of 136 pounds. I am 57 years old, menopausal and 5'3" tall. I also have Type 2 Diabetes, which is 100% controlled by the way I eat. I do not take medication or insulin.
I eat 120g fat, 90g protein and 25g total carbs (not net carbs).
I just reworked the g of fat & protein and now its 117g fat & 76g protein and about 15g carbs for a total calorie of 1,411. I am going to see how this affect my weight/inch loss as I am currently not losing either and it could be cause I may have not been eating enough of protein.
Actually while on induction (with an hour of exercise) I was losing a pound or two everyday. That weight stayed off too, inbetween when I fell sick and was eating pretty much everything (not high fat, but high carb) healthy food. Now I'm kinda stuck and I guess its cause I have not been working out as much as I did on induction. Infact my workouts have become 0.
Running is something I have to do. Actually with all the various diets and stuff I've tried, its only when I started walking and later running that I actually started to see a difference in me. Also running is the only thing I know I can stick to in the long run. I also give plenty of time for my body to recover (something I learned the hard way after a few injuries) so I just have one long run a week and the rest are very light short runs or walks. Going to the gym, for me is pure murder, but I go to use other machines if I'm injured or not well. As for resistance training, I do it once or twice a week, but hope to increase it to 3 times a week gradually.

Last edited by elliot; 10-14-2013 at 11:04 PM..
Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I just reworked the g of fat & protein and now its 117g fat & 76g protein and about 15g carbs for a total calorie of 1,411.
That sounds like a great place to start!