Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kay72979
Not a good start

After frying eggs in the coconut oil and getting nauseated,,,then ordering a spinach salad at Panera and when I got it saw lots of crunchy stuff on the top,,,so picked all around that..Got home and looked it up and saw it had 46 grams of carbs!!!,,,and last but not least not sure if I was supposed to eat any bread during induction,,,but i tried the Julian Paleo Almond that is supposed to only have 1 carb,,,,,,,eeeeewwwwwww,,,,nasty nasty bread!!!!! i believe in there ad it said it was safe during Atkins induction....then after i bought this 10 bucks a loaf bread,,read so many neg things and how the company deceives you on what's actually in their stuff as far as carbs go....But,,,today is another new day...
kay72979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
Yeah that bread is horrible (taste-wise and carb-wise). I made the same mistake, buying both the almond AND coconut flour ones. GROSS. I have since stopped trying to duplicate bread in any way, and life is much easier
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Sorry about that!
I cooked up my scrambled eggs in Coconut oil once and could not eat them.
I have such a hard time getting CO down me that I have started using more butter instead.

Giving up bread was easy for me thanks in part to the book,
The Wheat Belly Diet.
I use to live for a slice (well several slices) of sourdough bread toasted with butter.
I gave that up for good when I started LC and now I don't miss it at all.
I am often a little surprised by this. When I prepare food with bread for my family it often makes me feel a little sick.

Thank goodness for a new day to start fresh!

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change
Carl Rogers

Permanent weight loss requires permanent change.
Annabel Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have made my own nut flour breads and they are okay but really, I do just fine without it. It is really just a vehicle for the main stuff. Try the oopsie recipe or even the paleo wraps. Both are pretty good. But the best thing for me is a nice crisp Romaine leaf. It adds very little in the way of carbs, holds up pretty well and has a nice taste.

Cooking with coconut oil is tricky for me because I don't think the flavour is necessarily a good match for most things. I am going to start a thread of recipes that it does work well with.

C.O. in my coffee is my main use but if you don't like that either, mct oil is a very good alternative.

Don't worry about the mishaps with starting out. They happen and we learn from them. When people post about their own, we all learn from them. In other words - not a loss but rather a gain in knowledge.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

My main source of CO is fat bombs Easiest, most delicious way to get it down, IMO!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
It's all a learning experience.

Perhaps just stick the Coconut Oil in the back of the cupboard for now. Just get used to the new diet, use butter instead, and later when your tummy is comfy with the higher fat, the CO won't be as difficult. Honestly, I don't use it very often, I just don't care for it that much.

And breads and stuff, just set them aside, they aren't part of this diet...yet. Maybe later you can do some baking experiments and see what you come up with.

I haven't had a lot of luck with substitutions (except for cheesecake which was too good).

I did eat bread recently at an Italian restaurant (no pasta though) and it really was yummy with lots of butter on it. I was so afraid I would get a stomach ache or something since I'm not eating wheat, but I was fine. It is definitely to be avoided though.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Chatty Cathy
I have tried the whoopsie bread before I even started this diet...just wasn't my idea of bread I guess..Cherylockeholmes The fat bombs I think I have heard of,,will see if I can find a recipe...Thanks everyone...Did well today

Last edited by kay72979; 10-11-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Old 10-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I have been trying to bake a low carb bread and the best method I have found is to whip egg whites and fold in a low carb flour. I use oat fibre which has 0 net carbs and some baking powder and then just nuke it. I find if I add a bit of glucomannan powder it is easier to shape, but what I find is that I can't replicate sandwich bread. To me all the breads, gluten free or low carb turn out very dense. Not being able to use wheat is an issue because it contains gluten. You can add pure gluten which is legal on a low carb diet but then you really jack up the protein content of your breads.

When I first started low carb, I felt like just about everything was a disaster. I just didn't know how to eat. Carbs seemed to be in everything. Now it seems a lot easier because I have "go to" things to eat out and strategies for parties and social eating. LCF and the members here really helped me out. Because I just had no clue and was very frustrated. Like Annette said, it is all a learning process and it does get easier! LC is very worth the effort.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

This is my favorite burger bun I've found from mylivingnutrition

It has more of a bread feel than an oopsie roll. I love them!

Ingredients
¼ cup flax seed, ground
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
¼ cup greek yogurt
4 pastured eggs
1 tsp honey
2 TBS mixture of poppy seeds, sesame seeds and minced dried onion
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix ground flax, coconut flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
In a smaller bowl, beat the yogurt, eggs, and honey together until combined.
Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients, mix to combine. Let sit for 1-2 min, allowing the coconut flour to soak up the access liquid.
Use an ice cream scoop, to place balls of dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Top each ball of dough with a sprinkle of the seed mixture.
Bake for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

thank you punkin and cherylockholmes
Old 10-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay72979 View Post
Chatty Cathy
I have tried the whoopsie bread before I even started this diet...just wasn't my idea of bread I guess..Cherylockeholmes The fat bombs I think I have heard of,,will see if I can find a recipe...Thanks everyone...Did well today
I agree that it is not bread like in texture or taste but only in that it looks a bit like a bun and is able to 'act' like a bun. In other words, it is a vehicle.

I have many years of 'no bread experience' at this point and I have yet to find anything bread like in texture and taste. I gave up on the notion quite a long time ago and must say, am very happy I did. I no longer miss it until someone in my house makes toast. That doesn't happen very often anymore either.

Last edited by clackley; 10-12-2013 at 07:05 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

You're welcome! Here's a pic of it in action

Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

It looks good!!! yes,,,the smell of someone making toast,,,grrrr...My husband still eats toast with his breakfast...
Old 10-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
hey Kay don't worry about it! It's all trial and error, I made loads of low carb cheesecake which I now refuse to eat as it is vile, and I mean VILE, took three hours to get the taste out of my mouth!

just adjust your current diet and slowly add in new recipes etc. I think for all of us it's just becoming accustomed to picking stuff, this weekend I literally ordered steak, eggs, veal, sausage and skewers with a bit of mushroom because I had no idea what I was going to get so tried to play it safe.

was going to try an oopsie roll on my husband....lets see
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Have been trying out Linda's low carb recipes for induction and they are tasty,,also made some fat bombs today and oooooh so good..I didn't think the coconut oil was going to agree with me because it made me ill the first time I fried eggs in it,,,,but using it in the fat bombs I guess is okay so far...