Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Questioning hunger - please discuss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/814456-questioning-hunger-please-discuss.html)

AnnetteW 10-10-2013 08:26 AM

Questioning hunger - please discuss
 
I do not relate to the people who just are never hungry. I'm not talking cravings.

Someone eats breakfast, couple eggs, butter, bacon, whatever...then isn't hungry until dinner.

This is so not me, it has never been, not even as child, and I have NEVER forgotten a meal, not one time in my life.

Obviously it's something that works differently in my body than in someone else's.

When I eat low carb I am not hungry for breakfast. I almost always start my day with 3 cups of coffee (decaf for the last 5 months) and ~3-4 T of cream, originally it was half and half.

On a day at home, like today or a weekend, I will push breakfast off until I feel actual hunger, which will probably be 10:30 or 11. But on a regular diet I would wake up hungry, and adore my breakfast. I almost always eat breakfast before going to work, as I feel safer that way.

I've gone to work without breakfast and get hungry earlier, though I prefer to eat breakfast.

I feel hunger in my head before in my stomach. Sometimes it's like thinking and working and using my head is what makes me hungry.

Is that my brain using up the glucose? I'm not physically doing much, but mentally I am busy. By the way, I'm a receptionist, but busy with emails, checking on things, taking payments, etc. It's not like I'm a rocket scientist or something, using my brain in that capacity.

In the afternoon I do like a snack, though my body doesn't ask for one. I usually just eat some sunflower seeds or a coffee/cream. And I'm often not terribly hungry at dinner, though I eat and try to keep it on the light side.

I'm still losing very very slowly, and I'm not overly concerned about the weight loss issue at that time.

Just wondering about hunger, how it feels to you, and how your eating schedule possibly works. Stuff like that.

And if you do have any info from the doctors and scientist, I'd love to hear about it.

QueenBacon 10-10-2013 09:04 AM

I personally don't often get hungry unless I really think about it.

I have a small child (going to be 3 this month) and I try to learn from him.

He eats when hes hungry! There are times he at 3 eggs, 10 slices of bacon, and then was reaching over and stealing his sisters eggs while she didn't look. Then didn't eat again till 7pm at night and would only eat half a tomato and some cheese.

Then there are days that he will eat nothing for breakfast, cry for an apple, eat that. and eat a chicken leg for dinner and nothing else.
Then the following day eat like a monster again.

After following paleo, I have tried to adopt a certain way of eating, even though its hard. When I think I'm hungry I drink water. If I'm super busy I try not to eat unless I really really feel hunger. Then I sit and eat slowly, really enjoy the food and really pay attention to if im full or not.

Think of hunters and gatherers. They didn't always have food available, and when it was they filled their bellies, when was the next meal going to be? When was the next kill? This is how I feel my son eats. I'm fine with that. He is healthy weight, is growing, and I know hes hungry because he tells me, and I couldn't force feed him icecream or cookies if I wanted to.

One thing I have noticed after doing this for a while, calories fill me. I feel satisfied if I eat them and chew them, or if I drink them in my coffee.

When you THINK you feel hungry, try having a drink and keep yourself busy. Don't sit and obsess with it, this will only make you more hungry. Its like watching food network..

MtherGoos 10-10-2013 11:43 AM

Some days I wake up with my stomach growling, and other days I'm not hungry until 2:00 pm. I'm trying to be better at listening to my body, and eating when I'm actually hungry and not just because the clock says it's time to eat. That's not always easy, and I know there are many times that I just eat out of boredom. But I'm trying to do a better job of just listening to my hunger.

clackley 10-10-2013 01:21 PM

Evaluating my hunger has become pretty simple. If a hard boiled egg sounds good, I am hungry. If it doesn't then, I am not.

Intermittent fasting has taught me that the mild signals of hunger can be pushed past very easily. They only last a few minutes. It has been a very useful tool for me.

SuzanneM 10-10-2013 01:32 PM

I think it's a great thing to get in tune with actual hunger and recognizing it. Lord knows, I've spent many months, just shoveling in anything I wanted, without being hungry.

On HFLC, I can go till 2pm also without any hunger, with just coffee and cream in my belly. I get a bit lightheaded and realise I need to eat something, I'll eat 300 cals of something and be good to go for a few hours.

On the fat fast, I was only hungry for more, once I started eating.

Ntombi 10-10-2013 01:32 PM

I tend to eat two meals a day, because I'm not hungry for more. That means I have to make sure I get enough protein in each meal, but otherwise, I'm fine eating this way. I am not a breakfast eater, never have been, I need at least a few hours of being awake before I can eat, then I'm set for several hours.

I sometimes feel physical hunger, and I always try to eat when I do, but more often, I'm aware that I felt hunger a while back and ignored it, so I need to eat. If I'm engrossed in something, or simply not in the mood to eat, I'll ignore that my stomach is asking for food, and I definitely get the suppressed appetite from ketosis, which doesn't help either.

I have an unhealthy history of skipping meals (which contributed to some health issues), so I work to try to balance eating when I'm hungry with not going more than 6 waking hours without eating. It's a balancing act that I don't always do well with, but I work on it.

Spanilingo 10-10-2013 05:34 PM

There are days I have been hungrier than others but I always discounted that to activity level normal body fluctuations and nutrient needs. I never tried to purposefully outsmart my body- just made sure that what I ate was good for me!

Hunger is different though. Hungry on low carb is definitely more subtle.

Also, I felt less hunger when I had weight to lose. Now that I am at my appropriate weight , I feel hungry more "regularly" like several times a day / three meal times plus snacks. I think I eat more.

I wonder if perhaps when my body was using its own fat stores if maybe it didn't need as much food sources for fat? Hm..I'm gonna think about that.

AnnetteW 10-11-2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanilingo (Post 16638581)
There are days I have been hungrier than others but I always discounted that to activity level normal body fluctuations and nutrient needs. I never tried to purposefully outsmart my body- just made sure that what I ate was good for me!

Hunger is different though. Hungry on low carb is definitely more subtle.

Also, I felt less hunger when I had weight to lose. Now that I am at my appropriate weight , I feel hungry more "regularly" like several times a day / three meal times plus snacks. I think I eat more.

I wonder if perhaps when my body was using its own fat stores if maybe it didn't need as much food sources for fat? Hm..I'm gonna think about that.

I can relate to what you're saying.

Hunger is subtle.

Also when I've been at my "skinny" weight I got more hungry too, but it might have been my body wanting to gain weight back...lol...guess what happened? That isn't going to happen this time around.

I did think about it a lot yesterday, and just had my coffee/cream for breakfast. I started to have my first hunger signs around 11 AM and so to avoid eating at that time I left to do my errands. By the time I left the stores at 12:15 I felt really hungry. Finally home and making my lunch I ate at 1 PM. I was totally under control the whole time. None of that raging hunger that would get one to drive through FastFood. Plus I always have almonds in my purse if necessary.

But I did have to avoid afternoon snacking, which I guess is just a habit I need to break.

I have a plan (I always have a new plan).

I'm going to work on stopping the afternoon snacking. I'm not hungry at that time, usually just a bit bored.

Yet, I do feel hunger often in the mornings and will allow snacks then, for now. If stopping the afternoon snacking is successful, then I'll work on the morning snacks.

Punkin 10-11-2013 07:04 AM

I am almost never hungry. NOW. But it wasn't that way in the past, it took a lot of experimenting to figure out why and how I was overeating. The reason I packed on those extra 60lbs of body fat. Yes, that is right. I managed to put on 60lbs of body fat from the age of 20 on. For someone with my frame, that is a lot of weight. I have a 40lb weighted vest and I can't even climb the stairs when I put it on. I don't know how I managed to carry around that much extra weight. It seems impossible now.

I don't know how much more weight you have to lose but when you get to maintenance it will be much easier because you can eat the exact amount of calories that you require on a daily basis without undereating. Your hunger should go away. If it doesn't you will will need to experiment to figure out why. It could be not enough fibre, not eating a balanced meal. For me for example it has to be over 65% fat. spreading your calories so that you are eating enough calories at the right time of the day. Me for example, I have to eat a lot right before bed (roughly 400 to 600cal) or else I wake up hungry. Also you could be eating in response to false hunger cues (ie. boredom, habit, brain stimulation). The real hunger what was said above is something that is much different and feels different. Before going low carb, I had never felt it before. One of the key reasons I ate was in response to gastrin, which for me gets over produced when I eat a lot of protein in one meal. I had to cut down the amount of protein I was eating at meals to not feel hungry between meals. Now I spread my protein out over 5 meals a day, and don't eat more than 10g at a meal and that helps.

Anyways, those are just some of the things that have worked for me. I found losing easier because you expect to be hungry, however, maintenance is a bigger challenge because the the hunger should be very subtle. But once you figure it out, it makes life a lot easier. Hope that helps in some way 8)

elliot 10-13-2013 01:07 AM

I'm glad I found this thread. I have been slowly trying to ease myself into nutritional ketosis. I was/am on atkins.

I have noticed that previously on atkins induction I would eat breakfast and then by lunch I really had no desire to eat but would instead have a late lunch. Then skip dinner on most days as I couldn't have a bit more. This was with 20g net carbs or thereabout.

Now with my carbs at a real low, maybe 10g, I feel hungry. I usually have an eggnog for breakfast (with added cream and butter) and then by the time its lunch I can actually feel my tummy crying out for food. I never had this before. Even after lunch by dinner time I'm hungry again and I have to eat again.

Is this because my carb intake have come down even lower? I dont feel tired at all, no lack of energy just a constant hunger where previously I didnt have any...

sheened 10-13-2013 04:43 AM

I eat two meals a day with maybe one snack. I don't seem to get as hungry as i was when calorie counting but there are days when i want more food, last week i had one day when i was a bottomless pit!! Just started so maybe in a few weeks or so i'll see a pattern emerge!

clackley 10-13-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot (Post 16641031)
I'm glad I found this thread. I have been slowly trying to ease myself into nutritional ketosis. I was/am on atkins.

I have noticed that previously on atkins induction I would eat breakfast and then by lunch I really had no desire to eat but would instead have a late lunch. Then skip dinner on most days as I couldn't have a bit more. This was with 20g net carbs or thereabout.

Now with my carbs at a real low, maybe 10g, I feel hungry. I usually have an eggnog for breakfast (with added cream and butter) and then by the time its lunch I can actually feel my tummy crying out for food. I never had this before. Even after lunch by dinner time I'm hungry again and I have to eat again.

Is this because my carb intake have come down even lower? I dont feel tired at all, no lack of energy just a constant hunger where previously I didnt have any...

Hunger comes and goes so it could be coincidental but I have to wonder what is in your eggnog? I question it because for some people liquid food as in protein shakes, get an insulin response which of course creates hunger.

At one time, I was having a protein shake with hwc and a raw egg and found that I was hungry very shortly after. I stopped using them and now have bullet proof coffee. Liquid but non of the protein. This keeps me comfy for hours. I will often go until 3 or 4 on 1 and 1 coffee with hwc.

MtherGoos 10-13-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot (Post 16641031)
I'm glad I found this thread. I have been slowly trying to ease myself into nutritional ketosis. I was/am on atkins.

I have noticed that previously on atkins induction I would eat breakfast and then by lunch I really had no desire to eat but would instead have a late lunch. Then skip dinner on most days as I couldn't have a bit more. This was with 20g net carbs or thereabout.

Now with my carbs at a real low, maybe 10g, I feel hungry. I usually have an eggnog for breakfast (with added cream and butter) and then by the time its lunch I can actually feel my tummy crying out for food. I never had this before. Even after lunch by dinner time I'm hungry again and I have to eat again.

Is this because my carb intake have come down even lower? I dont feel tired at all, no lack of energy just a constant hunger where previously I didnt have any...

Everybody is different, so it's going to be a matter of finding what works for you. BUT, I know that for ME, I've got to have protein, and not just fat, or I'm STARVING. As long as I have protein with my fat, I'm fine and have no hunger. I don't know what's in your eggnog, but you might just try adding a portion of protein with it. Again, everyone is different, but that's what works for me. I definitely don't think that decreasing your carbs would be what is making you hungry. I usually eat less than 10 carbs every day and as long as I get my protein in, I'm never hungry.

snowangel9 10-13-2013 01:22 PM

I'm rarely 'hungry'. I'm like Ntombi, not a big fan of breakfast. My schedule now, means that I am usually eating breakfast about 11:00-12:00. Then I'm good until dinner which is around 7:00. Growing up in a household where we 'fasted' once a month, I learned being hungry wasn't going to kill me. So for the most part I can ignore it if I chose too.

I do drink water in the morning to get my metabolism going, then a couple of hours later I'll get around to breakfast. I think listening to your body is important and mine has plenty in reserve! But then there are people like my youngest who doesn't get that I'm full message. She has to really think about it. But then she was always a eat by the clock eater. Oh, it's noon, we have to have lunch... But she's learning...

What Queenbacon said makes sense to me too.. We didn't evolve with a grocery store on every corner, or refrigerators full of food... :)

elliot 10-14-2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16641165)
Hunger comes and goes so it could be coincidental but I have to wonder what is in your eggnog? I question it because for some people liquid food as in protein shakes, get an insulin response which of course creates hunger.
At one time, I was having a protein shake with hwc and a raw egg and found that I was hungry very shortly after. I stopped using them and now have bullet proof coffee. Liquid but non of the protein. This keeps me comfy for hours. I will often go until 3 or 4 on 1 and 1 coffee with hwc.

I just mix 3 large eggs, 2tbsp heavy whipping cream, 2 tbsp butter , a pinch of morton lite salt & a sachet of splenda for my eggnogg. I have used splenda everytime on atkins and it has never till date stalled me or caused me to be hungry... :dunno:

clackley 10-14-2013 11:34 AM

I would be willing to bet that your hunger disappears in time. If not, I would try a different breakfast or skip it all together.

AnnetteW 10-14-2013 12:24 PM

Well, I still don't understand that people don't get hungry. If I wasn't ever hungry I would barely eat...and I'd be skinny.

Personally I think we are supposed to get hungry.

I just had lunch, I was famished. Sorry, but coffee/cream, 2 eggs and butter isn't going to hold me but for a few hours, maybe 3-4 max. I had a few almonds as a snack, but still hungry and just had my lunch a full 6 hours later. Totally famished. And lunch was good.

But it too won't hold me all afternoon till dinner. Tuna, mayo and celery.

MerryKate 10-15-2013 01:25 AM

I read a very interesting article from the Diet Doctor the other day. This is just a bit, but it may help you:

"A hearty breakfast that includes protein and fat may actually help people with type 2 diabetes better control both their hunger and their blood sugar levels. Patients who ate a big breakfast for three months experienced lower blood sugar (glucose) levels, and nearly one-third were able to reduce the amount of diabetic medication they took, according to an Israeli study that was scheduled for presentation Wednesday at the European Association for the Study of Diabetes annual meeting in Barcelona.

In the study, diabetic patients were given either a big breakfast containing about one-third of their total daily energy intake, or a small breakfast containing only 12.5 percent of their total daily energy intake. The big breakfast also contained a higher percentage of protein and fat. Doctors found that after 13 weeks, blood sugar levels and blood pressure dropped dramatically in people who ate a big breakfast every day. Those who ate a big breakfast enjoyed blood sugar level reductions three times greater than those who ate a small breakfast, and blood pressure reductions that were four times greater."

Annette, try having a really big breakfast and see if that makes a difference.

MerryKate 10-15-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteW (Post 16642713)
Well, I still don't understand that people don't get hungry. If I wasn't ever hungry I would barely eat...and I'd be skinny. Personally I think we are supposed to get hungry.

I agree - even on NK, if you go long enough without food you will get hungry. If you're eating NK on a regular basis, however, you may not give your body time to get hungry. I rarely experience hunger anymore. However, I do find myself wandering around feeling cranky and nauseated and wondering why I feel so awful, and then I'll realize I haven't eaten in 6 or 7 hours. I was hypoglycemic before I started NK, and this seems to be a mild version of it. Because I don't feel hunger much anymore, it can sneak up on me.

If you're experiencing hunger on a regular basis, plan for snacks. Every body is different, and if your body wants to be fed every 2-3 hours to maintain an even blood sugar level, work with it. That's one of the basic rules of the Atkins plan: if you're hungry, eat something. :high5:

nill4me 10-15-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16643628)
I agree - even on NK, if you go long enough without food you will get hungry. If you're eating NK on a regular basis, however, you may not give your body time to get hungry. I rarely experience hunger anymore. However, I do find myself wandering around feeling cranky and nauseated and wondering why I feel so awful, and then I'll realize I haven't eaten in 6 or 7 hours. I was hypoglycemic before I started NK, and this seems to be a mild version of it. Because I don't feel hunger much anymore, it can sneak up on me.

If you're experiencing hunger on a regular basis, plan for snacks. Every body is different, and if your body wants to be fed every 2-3 hours to maintain an even blood sugar level, work with it. That's one of the basic rules of the Atkins plan: if you're hungry, eat something. :high5:

So along these same lines then....if you are not hungry, is it OK to just not eat if it means you won't get in say your protein recommendation for the day? Some days I am very very hungry, and consume quite a bit of food. Others, like today, I am really not hungry at all. I'm actually feeling a little bloated and would rather not eat and add to the fullness.

If you have days like that do you feel it is OK to just pass the food by?

I will say I am also sick right now...so maybe my body wants to put its work into healing rather than digesting. I'm not nauseated. Just not really hungry, or in the mood to eat. I wouldn't want to be on any kind of up and down rollercoaster, but by the same token, I don't want/need to be shoving food in my face if I don't want/need it.

Galveston Gal 10-15-2013 10:11 AM

So many things to learn from each other...main one...we are all so different.
It is so good to be able to share.

My heritage is short and round...from way back. I have always been 'hungry':dunno:
My childhood was "comforted" with food...by training/encouragement and by example.
Somewhere in the rebellion of the teenage years, I determined to stop that trend.
Fast forward to my 40's and many years of struggling with Low Fat/High starvation(!!!) I happened on a book "Listen to the Hunger".:)
It is a little book. I was so impressed by it that I read the whole thing onto tape so that I could listen to it during household duties.
It wasn't until that time that I started to 'personally' make the connection in my life to the emotion influence.

Fast forward another bunch of years (I'm 65) I have found some of the other things that affect my "hunger".
-----Self testing my blood glucose as to how it responds to specific foods has been an EYE-OPENER!
-----I have learned that I cannot trust my own hunger cues...that part of me is schizophrenic-not predictable.
-----When I loose sleep/can't sleep/etc. my metabolism gets unstable...lousy blood sugar control,bad moods, feet always wander to the kitchen for comfort,etc.
-----Intermittent Fasting has taught me I won't die if I miss a few meals!!!
-----When I don't exercise, I get more hungry....I figure the endorphins run low with just sitting around and the exercise(intermittent)kicks my brain back into better thinking! (science supports exercise to decrease depression!)
But since trying to figure it all out for the passed 10 years, I have found, by using Low Carb (for me) and focusing on making sure to look for 'how to best supply the needed nutrition' has relieved that "Incessant food craving/food calling my name" feeling that has afflicted me since birth!

Before Low Carb, I truly felt that I would die if I didn't have chocolate everyday...would hide it from others...sneak eat...night kitchen raids...etc.

Now, foods are a choice!!! I never dreamed I would get there.:love:
I can sit near the bread basket in a restaurant and not obsess...couldn't do that before.
I can let the popcorn smell wash over me and enjoy it and not need to partake, because I know it smells so good...but my blood sugar doesn't like it!
I can smell the cinnamon rolls in the mall...and enjoy it and KNOW that if I want it still when I get home, I can make my flax OMM and eat all I want!
Yes, I still struggle with others saying, "Just One Bite", etc.
Yes, I have deleted wheat and found substitutes.
When I stray (life happens) and eat greater carb/wheat/sugar/highly refined foods...those cravings-hungers-obsessions come back with a vengeance:annoyed:

I want to be in control of me....I don't want food to control me...So, I stay on guard...keep listening to others...
Thanks to everyone for sharing!!!:heart:

Ntombi 10-15-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nill4me (Post 16644132)
So along these same lines then....if you are not hungry, is it OK to just not eat if it means you won't get in say your protein recommendation for the day? Some days I am very very hungry, and consume quite a bit of food. Others, like today, I am really not hungry at all. I'm actually feeling a little bloated and would rather not eat and add to the fullness.

If you have days like that do you feel it is OK to just pass the food by?

I will say I am also sick right now...so maybe my body wants to put its work into healing rather than digesting. I'm not nauseated. Just not really hungry, or in the mood to eat. I wouldn't want to be on any kind of up and down rollercoaster, but by the same token, I don't want/need to be shoving food in my face if I don't want/need it.

If I have one day like that, I don't worry about it. More than one day in a row, and I'm going to make sure I get my protein in. Muscle can be depleted very quickly, and it's harder to build it back than to maintain it in the first place.

That said, I don't worry about getting exactly to my 120g protein goal daily. If I'm slightly under or slightly over, I'm perfectly fine with that. But I don't allow myself to be very under two days in a row.

lovetoknit 10-16-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteW (Post 16637852)
I do not relate to the people who just are never hungry. I'm not talking cravings.

Someone eats breakfast, couple eggs, butter, bacon, whatever...then isn't hungry until dinner.

This is so not me, it has never been, not even as child, and I have NEVER forgotten a meal, not one time in my life.

Obviously it's something that works differently in my body than in someone else's.

When I eat low carb I am not hungry for breakfast. I almost always start my day with 3 cups of coffee (decaf for the last 5 months) and ~3-4 T of cream, originally it was half and half.

On a day at home, like today or a weekend, I will push breakfast off until I feel actual hunger, which will probably be 10:30 or 11. But on a regular diet I would wake up hungry, and adore my breakfast. I almost always eat breakfast before going to work, as I feel safer that way.

I've gone to work without breakfast and get hungry earlier, though I prefer to eat breakfast.

I feel hunger in my head before in my stomach. Sometimes it's like thinking and working and using my head is what makes me hungry.

Is that my brain using up the glucose? I'm not physically doing much, but mentally I am busy. By the way, I'm a receptionist, but busy with emails, checking on things, taking payments, etc. It's not like I'm a rocket scientist or something, using my brain in that capacity.

In the afternoon I do like a snack, though my body doesn't ask for one. I usually just eat some sunflower seeds or a coffee/cream. And I'm often not terribly hungry at dinner, though I eat and try to keep it on the light side.

I'm still losing very very slowly, and I'm not overly concerned about the weight loss issue at that time.

Just wondering about hunger, how it feels to you, and how your eating schedule possibly works. Stuff like that.

And if you do have any info from the doctors and scientist, I'd love to hear about it.

Some days I eat more often, and some days I eat less often. It depends on how I feel
Carolyn

Aomiel 10-17-2013 11:10 AM

My mother-in-law, bless her heart, was always telling me to 'just eat when you're hungry' and 'stop when you're full'. Problem was, before consistently low carbing, I would say I was always hungry with no full point (until I literally could not eat any more).

In January, I went consistent vlc (under 25gm per day) and no artificial sweeteners. After a month or so I realized that what I used to think of as hunger was just cravings because now, I'm never hungry. I have no problem going 5 hours between meals and then I only eat because my BG tells me I've waited too long to eat. Then again, I never feel full, so I'm wondering if it's a disconnect between my brain and my stomach.

Because of the diabetes issue, I eat 3 meals a day, no snacks and I eat at the same time every day (per Bernstein's Diabetes Solution)...but hungry? Nope.

Yeah...can relate to the 'head hunger'. *That* I am still dealing with and not sure if it will ever go away since I love the various tastes and textures of food.

AnnetteW 10-17-2013 05:29 PM

So much good info.

Eating when and only when I'm hungry works when I'm at home and don't have to work, like today for instance.

I had my coffee/cream, went off to do fun stuff in my sewing room till about 11 when the tummy started to growl. Made a flaxseed pancake, then later had sunflower seeds.

So different than my work days. Very interesting.

nill4me 10-18-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteW (Post 16647982)
So much good info.

Eating when and only when I'm hungry works when I'm at home and don't have to work, like today for instance.

I had my coffee/cream, went off to do fun stuff in my sewing room till about 11 when the tummy started to growl. Made a flaxseed pancake, then later had sunflower seeds.

So different than my work days. Very interesting.

Annette, I find also that I eat differently on weekends than when I'm at work. If I pack it for lunch it will be eaten. Period. So I'm having to rethink having nuts and such at my desk. On weekends I just go about my business.

natosha120 10-18-2013 05:46 AM

I tend to be one those people who can't stop from being hungry. My minumum to keep me from not feeling ill or hungry is 4 meals a day seems to help

I try three and i get hungry so much at night that i want to eat and can't sleep. waking early to eat breakfast.

I don't know what to do, i keep on thinking maybe i'm to use to low carb that if i ate carbs or something else I wouldn't be as hungry or need so much.

my day tends to look like this

breakfast norm wake I work out a bit
have 6:30am 2 poached eggs, spoon like tblspoon butter, half avocado, broccoli cauliflower mix steamed
seasoned with herbs and spices
potassium salt substitute


lunch- 10-11am grassfed beef or another meat 4oz about
tblspoon butter, 2 poached eggs broccoli cauliflower herbs/spices salt substitute half avocado

snack- 3poached eggs broccoli cauilflower butter spices and herbs half avocado

dinner- same as lunch

that usually ends up near the 2200 calories or like I always seem to end up high even tho I aim less but it just doesn't seem to work for me. I either feel super hungry and can't stand it.. ( headahce, growling stomach, weak feeling, tired, sick feel).

So i don't know if i'm doing ok or if this is too much.

i seem to try for alot of fat if i do alot protein it goes low the caloires but i seem to be exceeding too much protein and end up hormones all screwed being moody tired sad etc.. but with fat i feel balanced.:dunno: don't know what to do am i doing ok or should i fear this

clackley 10-18-2013 06:28 AM

Natosha, I found that I am very sensitive to both broccoli and cauli - i.e. they make me hungry and have mostly avoided them as a result. It might be worth trying to eliminate them all together. Maybe try some spinach or zucchini if you really feel the need for veg but honestly it is not necessary.

natosha120 10-18-2013 06:55 AM

I felt if add those would fille up but even without was eating 2500-2800 calories but finally at a little less after returning yesterday and adding veggies . I feel lighter but just always delt even at lower amount calories I was gaining and felt starved when I ate alot like over 2000 I started to lose back but then stall however my metabolism seem to stay boosted and to eat any less feel I'll or gain. I so wonder if because I am trying to reduce protein and add more fat if my protein might of been to high yesterday was lowest been in awhile 121 grams verse my 140 which not bad but it's beennear too 160-200-300 grams

And 300 was even higher with all lean all protein plan . But yea I guess just not sure if possible one day or few I ate 1600 or 1400 and gained next day

Then one time did 2200-2500 and lost water weight fast which feel dropping now since returning

Maybe is that sign of fast metabolism and that eating less cause of my gain.

A year ago I was slimmer and eating 2800 calories or more lots of fat but when I figure to reduce to 1800 or less I started to gain weekly .

So not sure eat to really do

If eat less get sick feeling

And someone said my adrenal gland can be messed up is this true?
Being low carb so long could this be an issue to why I feel this way?

natosha120 10-18-2013 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
today i woke extra hungry like my body seems honestly i need to eat every 3hours or something most of the time, i start feeling ill or can't stop thinking about food and counting the time till next time to eat..

i mean i do drink alot near a gallon a day yet doesn't help my hunger even after 20-30 minute to an hour wait i just begin to feel sick like need something and when i eat i feel alot better

heres a plate of how i normally eat
nice small 8inch round plate i believe well nice small round brown plate


had so far two meals like 3hours apart

6:30am - 2 poached pasture eggs, butter kerry gold 1tblspoon, small half avocado mexican, 3cups liquid, salt sub potassium, garlic blk pepper, cayanne spice added and broccoli and cauliflower small amount

9:20am - 3 poached eggs and rest same
the other half of avocado which some brown spots took out and same with breakfast so sortof smaller but still good portion
(felt like i didn't eat, felt empty and low blood sugar cause began to have problems breathing whihc i notice like in 2months i got a problem with that having trouble like as if i ran and trying to take in deep breaths to get in oxygen. my mom told me prob low blood pressure, seems to happen before bed, 3hours after i eat, like when i am not able to get in something to eat after a bit i begin to suffer from it normaly 3hours it all starts. but when i stand its not as bad but when i sit i have trouble.. the one day i was stuck in hospital couldn't eat so for 6hours had to suffer with that feeling and started to get blurry vision , head hurting stomaching growling. concentration was horrible. just felt ill.

maybe that could be a cause too not sure figure i mention


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 PM.