Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: triplejtb
high Ketone blood testing

Hi Everyone

I`ve been doing LC off and on and it just stopped working for me and now I`ve discovered Nutritinal ketosis.
I`m on day 8 and my fasting blood ketones is 1.4 yesterday and 2.8 this morning. It went to 3.2 yesterday afternoon and 4.3 right now.
Do I need more protein in my diet....I have been having headaches in the morning when waking and it clears throughout the day.
My average over the last 7 days have been 150g (fat) 16g (carb) 42g (protein). Height 5` and Weight 178 Waist 43.5 (Yes, I know...I`m as wide as I am tall)
The link on this site told me I required 46g protein and I`ve been slightly under that. My BP was super high today as well and I had to double up on my BP pills (which is probably why I had a headache..and I feel fine now and the BP is down again within normal levels)
Does high ketones elevate BP! Can I still have ketosis adaptation symptoms with such high ketones! Am I in nutritional ketosis or am I still in the adaptation phase! It has been only 8days and I just got my monitor yesterday so I was very surprised with the levels already.
There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people on this site and any input would be appreciated. I spend hours reading any information I can get and still don`t feel competent with what I`m doing.
triplejtb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
What site told you that you only needed 46 grams of protein? 42 grams of protein is a very small amount.

The Optimal Diet site would say that you should eat 47-58 grams of protein each day.

And, there is nothing wrong with your ketone readings. They look good. I have never heard of there being a link between NK and high BP.

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 10-09-2013 at 02:00 PM..
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
Start Date: October 2013
Per the post "Just the Facts Mam" by Merrykate a few days ago (which I think should be a sticky!):

"Protein
First determine your protein requirements. There are several ways to do it. You need to know the appropriate goal weight for a person of your height and frame size. Your protein is calculated from it so it is important.

Dr. Phinney defined the appropriate protein range as being between 1.5 and 2.0 grams per kg of ideal weight. The formula looks like this:

Your goal kg is (goal_weight/2.2) so (goal_weight/2.2)*1.5 = protein grams daily.

Women tend to need a bit less protein and can stall out at 1.5. Many of the women on the NK threads use a protein factor of 1 to 1.2 while losing weight.
However, Phinney specifically stated that .8g/kg is not enough protein for an LC way of eating, so don't underdo it. There are few if any overt signs of protein deficiency until there is a crisis situation with your body, so take care not to eat too little protein.

Adequate protein consumption protects your lean body mass - essentially, everything that is not fat is LBM. Eating too little protein can result in .25 to 1 pound of LBM loss a day!"

I think your protein sounds too low as well....try the above equation and see what you get...
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I just did the math, and I am currently eating 70 grams of protein, which comes out to my goal weigh times 1.1.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the advice ladies.

The book by Barry Groves, "trick or treat" also states that protein should be 1 to 1.5g per lean body mass. So that would be even less than the 46 g (minimum) that the above site told me to eat, as my lean body mass at this point in my life is <90 lbs which is <41 kg.
My goal weight of 54 kg x 1 to 1.5...would allow 54-81 g of protein.
Phinney/Volek state .8g per kg of body weight....which would be 43g based on ideal weight or 64g based on current weight...
Any wonder there is confusion....everywhere has different formula to figure it out

I think I will use the .8g per kg of ideal weight and see how it works out.
Jan
Old 10-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
There seems to be confusion over whether to calculate protein needs on LBM or Ideal Bodyweight

Phinney/Volek categorically state that 0.8g protein is not enough
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkoutchick View Post
There seems to be confusion over whether to calculate protein needs on LBM or Ideal Bodyweight

Phinney/Volek categorically state that 0.8g protein is not enough
Two different opinions by different authorities.

Also, when calculating how much to eat based on LBM, my understanding is that it should be based on your goal LBM, and not your present LBM.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Good to know. I'll use ideal weight and do the 1-1.5g instead.

I've been doing this for 12 days now and have only lost 5 lbs. I seem to go up 2 and then go down 2...which is probably water difference. I thought I would lose more quickly.
I've also noticed in the last two days that I wake up in the morning with huge ++ bags under my eyes. I remember years ago when I did the "Master Cleanse", I had the same looking bags under my eyes and they stated it was toxins that my body was trying to get rid of.....has anyone else had this happen to them when they went LCHF?
Thanks
Jan
Old 01-26-2014, 12:37 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I know I'm really late to this thread, but I just, a few minutes ago, read about a guy who went on low carb and his blood pressure shot up. It is in Chris Kresser's Personal Paleo Code book. This guy needed potassium according to Kresser. I would recommend looking at the book.

I actually opened this thread trying to figure out what machine to get.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #10

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Interesting. I bought a meter and the highest reading I got was 3.2, it seems to bounce around as it was down to 1.8 last time I took it. I did notice a high pulse rate and have added broth to my diet.

PS I have been low carbing for a long time but only recently added more fat to my diet and less protein than I had been consuming... It's been about a month.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote