Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
Telling other people about your diet

Do you bother? After talking to my mom, I'm thinking it's easier to just not get into it. Conversation last night:

Me: I made the most amazing broccoli cheddar soup for dinner.
Mom: Cheddar cheese is very fattening!
Me: Yes, it has lots of fat, which is why I made it.
Mom: Oh, that's not good Cheryl...you'll get fat...and your cholesterol will rise.
Me: It doesn't work like that...
Mom: I had this dish made with ramen noodles and grilled chicken breast...I'll have to send you the recipe!
Me: Sigh. Ok mom.

This is the type of convo. I seem to have with most people who just don't know any better. I've learned its too exhausting to try to explain this WOE to people who have been fat phobic and stuck in the 90's.
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
If it comes up, I say that I'm doing Atkins, which means I don't eat sugar or starch (I say it like that, so they get the name and the most basic description in a few words). If they ask questions about it, I'll happily explain more, including the science behind how it works and why it's healthy. If they offer food I don't eat, I simply say no thanks. If they want to get into a debate, that's definitely not an option.

Last edited by Ntombi; 10-08-2013 at 04:27 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
This is a perfect example of the conventional wisdom's first exposure to something different. I once thought I knew what made me fat and what was healthy and on and on. It took a lot for me to begin to understand and really look at the evidence in order to understand. I had a growing motivator - my fat, to get me to delve into it. I think a lot of folks just don't have the inclination.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
After conversations I have had recently with family, friends and others, I say never bring up your diet. If it happens to come up, keep it simple ans short.

I was so proud and excited about my new diet woe and looked forward to telling friends/family. My doctor had actually recommended Atkins. All I got was grief and comments about how I was going to 'kill' myself. When I asked for their back up or where I could research why they were saying fat was bad for me and I needed my carbs, they had nothing to say. It was a big mess. My end comment was well what I have been doing isn't working so I am trying this. You would think more people would be understanding. I mean diabetics have to limit their diet, people allergic to wheat/soy or other things limit their diet. So why is there such a hooplah about people choosing to do a HFLC diet?

Last edited by mjgh06; 10-08-2013 at 06:20 AM..
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes. it's unfortunate, but there is just no way to talk about this in any detail without most people thinking you are as delusional as those who believe the government is controlled by The Lizard People. (this is a real conspiracy theory with a surprisingly high belief rate *sigh*)

if there is a real reason, like someone you love having a lot of trouble with diabetic blood sugars, it's probably your duty to make the effort. otherwise, really, it's not going to do anything but get everyone riled up.

I hate to say this because I tend to proselytize, but I know it's true.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I too love my soap box. But most people just aren't interested enough in their own health to educate themselves. My Mom, who is type two diabetic for years is just now getting it, kind of.

When you have educated yourself, I think it's natural to want to help those around you that you can clearly see need it. But, I guess taking pills and other drugs is easier.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Over time you might bring your mom around. When we started out on low-carb my sister was extremely resistant to any discussion of it and worried I'd get kidney disease from all the protein. After 2 years she's come around to the idea that low-carbing works, and while she's not ready to give up her rice and bread yet, she is cutting back her use of sugar. She's started reading labels and being shocked at all the hidden sugars. I discovered yesterday that she's really gotten the message - she was actually advocating the low-carb diet to our friend, who is a diabetic. So give it some time - it takes a while to cut through the propaganda and change someone's thinking.

Last edited by MerryKate; 10-09-2013 at 11:42 AM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jephersun
Stats: 224/173/150 - Start June 10, 2013
WOE: NK
Start Date: June 2013
I feel like it's difficult to explain it to someone. I sometimes simply say I don't eat carb (which is not true), but I think that's the easiest way to tell them. But then they ask, "so you don't eat rice?" I usually say no sugar, rice, flour (including bread and pasta), anything made with corn, carrots, or potatoes." [I think that sums it up short and sweet]

At first, I used to say it's similar to Atkins, but then people say "so you eat a lot of meat or only meat." And I then I tell them I eat more fats than I do meats, then that leads to a whole new conversation. I try not to bring up my diet, but if someone asks how I've been losing weight, I simply say "I started eating right and I'm more active."
jephersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I really stressed out about it in the beginning because my WOE seemed so out of the ordinary, but I have modified my diet to the point of where it fits in. I also don't get the negative comments about my weight loss anymore and I think it is because I have been maintaining for almost a year now, so people are used to the new way I look. I lost a total of 60lbs in a couple of years and this is the first time I have been able to maintain it. The maintenance is due to being low carb now. It works because I am gluten free which fits in with the social norm. But I am a bit more than that, because a lot of gluten free flours are high carb, I just use the ones that aren't. Eating out is still a problem, but now I know what to pick so it makes it easier. Conversations like the ones you had with your mother I just try to change the subject. It isn't really worth it going there.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DebbyCDA
Stats: 255/246/140
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: Aug2013
I had a conversation with a lady at church about this. She was asking how I was losing weight. I said low carb high fat. She said that must be working and started extolling the virtues of our friends, the good fat (OO, avocados, etc). Since she was apparently open minded, I started with the fact that, once you give your body what it wants, it gives up on hoarding what it thinks it's not getting enough of. The example I used was when our ankles swell. What do the doctors tell us to do? Drink MORE water. Once the body doesn't feel panicky and knows you're giving it good quantities of what it needs, it'll give up holding onto it. I saw a light bulb go on over her head. =} I may have just created another convert. LOL
DebbyCDA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Good job Debby! I actually had some of the church ladies at my house for lunch yesterday to explain the basics of low-carbing. We're talking about getting a group going at the church, because so many of us need to lose weight, and the support really helps.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyCDA View Post
I had a conversation with a lady at church about this. She was asking how I was losing weight. I said low carb high fat. She said that must be working and started extolling the virtues of our friends, the good fat (OO, avocados, etc). Since she was apparently open minded, I started with the fact that, once you give your body what it wants, it gives up on hoarding what it thinks it's not getting enough of. The example I used was when our ankles swell. What do the doctors tell us to do? Drink MORE water. Once the body doesn't feel panicky and knows you're giving it good quantities of what it needs, it'll give up holding onto it. I saw a light bulb go on over her head. =} I may have just created another convert. LOL
Wow, that is really interesting, thanks for that post. When I was high carb I seem to have this problem with food hoarding. I sort of did it subconsciously, like I had this fear of going hungry. Now that I have been low carb for awhile, I realize it is because when I eat carbs, my body stores them right away which leaves me hungry and looking for more food. High fat does the opposite, I don't need the food because the food stays in circulation.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
I'm down 20 lbs for the year, mainly lowcarb, but I've kicked it into high gear the past couple of months with HFLC to lose 10 and now people are really starting to comment and asking how I did it?

I'm like Ntombi, I just say I cut out wheat and sugar and focused on whole unprocessed foods.
I just don't have the energy or inclination to start going into extolling the virtues of a lot of high fats, it's usually met with raised eyebrows and I don't care.
It's not my job to re educate or lecture people on their diets
If people are up to changing, what is obviously not working, they should research themselves.

I was actually have a conversation with my best friend, who was asking how I did it, this morning.
I gave her the run down, she said oh I can't give up my roast potatoes or sandwiches yadda, yadda.
So I told her to stay fat then

Last edited by SuzanneM; 10-10-2013 at 09:51 AM..
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylockholmes View Post
Do you bother? After talking to my mom, I'm thinking it's easier to just not get into it. Conversation last night:

Me: I made the most amazing broccoli cheddar soup for dinner.
Mom: Cheddar cheese is very fattening!
Me: Yes, it has lots of fat, which is why I made it.
Mom: Oh, that's not good Cheryl...you'll get fat...and your cholesterol will rise.
Me: It doesn't work like that...
Mom: I had this dish made with ramen noodles and grilled chicken breast...I'll have to send you the recipe!
Me: Sigh. Ok mom.

This is the type of convo. I seem to have with most people who just don't know any better. I've learned its too exhausting to try to explain this WOE to people who have been fat phobic and stuck in the 90's.
Doesn't your mom know that ramen noodles are high fat and high calorie? Of course it is the starch that is the worst. I understand what you mean about not talking about it unless you are pushed to do it. People in restaurants look at us weird when when just order the meat without any sides. We don't eat out very often, but when we travel, we have to some times.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM View Post
I'm down 20 lbs for the year, mainly lowcarb, but I've kicked it into high gear the past couple of months with HFLC to lose 10 and now people are really starting to comment and asking how I did it?

I'm like Ntombi, I just say I cut out wheat and sugar and focused on whole unprocessed foods.
I just don't have the energy or inclination to start going into extolling the virtues of a lot of high fats, it's usually met with raised eyebrows and I don't care.
It's not my job to re educate or lecture people on their diets
If people are up to changing, what is obviously not working, they should research themselves.

I was actually have a conversation with my best friend, who was asking how I did it, this morning.
I gave her the run down, she said oh I can't give up my roast potatoes or sandwiches yadda, yadda.
So I told her to stay fat then

LOL! I have lost 30 pounds since March eating this way, and my husband has lost 50 pounds. People are always asking him how he does it, and he tells them. They also say, "I could not give up bread and potatoes." I thought that your response was cute. My husband just shrugs his shoulders.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
I know, but it's the truth I would only say that to someone who I am very close to.

But I really feel like saying that to people who kvetch and moan, that they can't lose weight because of xyz. Or the ones, that start again every Monday.
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marmarl
I work in an expensive, all organic restaurant with yummy temptations all day long. When I first cut out grains, it raised all kinds of questions from my coworkers, especially considering I used to always get annoyed when customers would tell me they're dairy free or gluten free or vegan, and they'd make they're demands about what they can and can't have. I'd think, "then eat at home. don't come here and expect us to make up a special dish just for you." Then I evolved to paleo and my coworkers would make fun of my diet. If I'd make paleo cookies they'd say things like, "oh right because cavemen ate lemon bars..." They were always talking to me about my diet and asking me to come up with proof and it was annoying. The pastry chef started making gluten free desserts so I could have some and the chef started making soups without grains. Then I went HFLC and stopped drinking wine. My bosses said I was going to become a breath-atarian and not be able to eat anything before long. But meanwhile I was drinking glasses of heavy whipping cream if front of them, adding 3 pats of butter to my tiny cup of soup; that always got stares. Ha ha. BUT, the amazing thing is that FIVE of the people I work with (both of the owners of the restaurant included) have gone paleo after watching my body change and how healthy I appear. And at least four others have stopped eating bread. That's a pretty good feeling!
marmarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
Start Date: March 2009
I tell people that ask that I eat a very high fat diet, with around 70-75% of my food coming from fat. That peaks their interest, and I go on to tell them that I eat a lot of saturated fat, a moderate amount of protein and very few carbs.

I've actually had a bunch of really good conversations lately, with no belittling of the way I eat or what I say is the truth. People seem really open! I have given away printouts of the low carb way of eating, my blog address and a copy of the Fat Fast Cookbook, and people are really interested. It's not the first time they are hearing this. It's really getting around and into the news, etc.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Rebecca, have you seen this latest recap? The Fat-Fueled Brain: Unnatural or Advantageous? | MIND Guest Blog, Scientific American Blog Network

I thought of you when I read it, and I've been sharing it, which has led to some good conversations over the last several days.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much! I will take a look at it. Anything to build up the arsenal!
Old 10-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

You're very welcome. I knew about the dementia info, but the study on the ketogenic diet and ALS was new to me, and very interesting. Obviously, MS and ALS are very different in how they attack, but it feels like a step closer, and more reason for me to stay the course.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
You're very welcome. I knew about the dementia info, but the study on the ketogenic diet and ALS was new to me, and very interesting. Obviously, MS and ALS are very different in how they attack, but it feels like a step closer, and more reason for me to stay the course.
Me, too. My mother and her father died of ALS.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, I didn't realize.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

They both were sick or dead by my age. I am bound and determined to not allow that to be my fate.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Absolutely.

I never saw ALS (or MS) as a lifestyle disease, or something that was preventable. I always saw it as the luck of the draw, of course with genetic and environmental factors, but not a diagnosis you could directly prevent, if you get me.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Absolutely.

I never saw ALS (or MS) as a lifestyle disease, or something that was preventable. I always saw it as the luck of the draw, of course with genetic and environmental factors, but not a diagnosis you could directly prevent, if you get me.
I used to think that, too, until I started learning everything I have been learning. I truly believe that these different diseases can be prevented, at least for some people.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

It's an interesting premise, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the upcoming studies show.

Of course, I really wish they'd do long-term studies. Three months is a drop in the bucket.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #28
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Great article Ntombi! Thanks for sharing. I have sent it on to my people in real life!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
If the medical and nutrition community (who should understand the science, keep an open mind and should know better) still think a high carb, low fat diet is the healthiest, what are the odds that the masses will think differently?

I've lost over 170 lbs on low carb...the last 45 on Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Since January 1, I went from blood sugars over 300 to an A1c of 4.9 and from taking insulin twice a day and at every meal to no meds at all.

Yet when I am involved in a conversation with another diabetic still struggling to control their blood sugars, taking massive doses of insulin (and still not controlling their blood sugar) while following the typical ADA diet, I'm told by them *and* their friends and family that I'm just wrong and my diet is unhealthy.

If someone asks, I'll do a simple explanation and depending on their reaction, I'll let it go at that or will give them more information.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliot
Stats: 132/117/110
WOE: NK - HFLC/Atkins Induction
Start Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyCDA View Post
This is the best explanation I have heard till date. Thanks for the post, will use it in future whenever I need it... which is almost every weekend.

I had a weird experience at Subways this last weekend's lunch. It was at a food court and Subway seemed the least of all evils.
I asked the staff, "How much for a meat salad"?
"26 Dhs (7$)"
"Okay, how much for the veg salad?"
"16 Dhs (4.3$)"
I said thankyou and walked away deciding to skip lunch. Besides meat salad meant 2 thin slices to meat to a whole plate of vegetables and 1 slices of cheese. DH saw me and said, "just order the meat salad and eat what you can't, you can just sit there not eating anything with the rest group eating"
So I reluctantly walked back and said, "Ok, give me a meat salad"
"which meat ma'am?"
"turkey please"
She puts in 2 thin slices (I wanted to cry!)
"Vegetables?"
"er.. lettuce"
She dumps about 4 handful into the plate.
I was like, "no! no!, take it all away, just a bit of lettuce"
She removes more than half of it and asks, "what else?"
"um.. onions"
She puts a handful of onions
"then?"
"Can I have some more cheese"
"that will be 2Dhs (0.5$) extra per slice"
"Yes, that ok, I'll take it"
She puts some more cheese that adds up to 2 slices of cheddar cheese in total and look up at me as if to ask what else.

I tell her thats it, barely holding back my crestfallen face at the practically empty plate and the 26 Dhs (7$) I had to pay for it. She looked at the plate and looked at me.
"Dont you want anything else ma'am?"
"No thankyou its alright, I can't have anything else, I can just eat more meat and cheese but you dont have such an option..."
She then went off to talk to her senior and came back and sent my plate to billing.
The senior came in and billed me 16Dhs (4.3$) for my meat salad. I felt a lot better and grateful. It was not worth even the 16Dhs, but atleast I didnt have to pay 26 Dhs. I thanked them returned to me seat and had my sparse lunch.

Last edited by elliot; 10-20-2013 at 01:44 AM..
elliot is offline   Reply With Quote