Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
This is the best explanation I have heard till date. Thanks for the post, will use it in future whenever I need it... which is almost every weekend.

I had a weird experience at Subways this last weekend's lunch. It was at a food court and Subway seemed the least of all evils.
I asked the staff, "How much for a meat salad"?
"26 Dhs (7$)"
"Okay, how much for the veg salad?"
"16 Dhs (4.3$)"
I said thankyou and walked away deciding to skip lunch. Besides meat salad meant 2 thin slices to meat to a whole plate of vegetables and 1 slices of cheese. DH saw me and said, "just order the meat salad and eat what you can't, you can just sit there not eating anything with the rest group eating"
So I reluctantly walked back and said, "Ok, give me a meat salad"
"which meat ma'am?"
"turkey please"
She puts in 2 thin slices (I wanted to cry!)
"Vegetables?"
"er.. lettuce"
She dumps about 4 handful into the plate.
I was like, "no! no!, take it all away, just a bit of lettuce"
She removes more than half of it and asks, "what else?"
"um.. onions"
She puts a handful of onions
"then?"
"Can I have some more cheese"
"that will be 2Dhs (0.5$) extra per slice"
"Yes, that ok, I'll take it"
She puts some more cheese that adds up to 2 slices of cheddar cheese in total and look up at me as if to ask what else.

I tell her thats it, barely holding back my crestfallen face at the practically empty plate and the 26 Dhs (7$) I had to pay for it. She looked at the plate and looked at me.
"Dont you want anything else ma'am?"
"No thankyou its alright, I can't have anything else, I can just eat more meat and cheese but you dont have such an option..."
She then went off to talk to her senior and came back and sent my plate to billing.
The senior came in and billed me 16Dhs (4.3$) for my meat salad. I felt a lot better and grateful. It was not worth even the 16Dhs, but atleast I didnt have to pay 26 Dhs. I thanked them returned to me seat and had my sparse lunch.
I don't like Subway, it isn't very LC friendly IMHO. But when I've had to eat there, I just get a sub (on flatbread, usually), get a fork, open it up and eat it then toss the bread. You get a lot more of the good stuff (meat and cheese) than if you order a salad there for usually a better price. If you are celiac or gluten-sensitive then obviously you can't do this, but if not, it works well.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
Ugh Subway....so gross. If you want a good laugh, google Jim Gaffigan and Subway to see his hilarious bit about it.
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
The ending of the scientific american article:

"Before I let you go, I’d like to stress again that keto is NOT something to try out without talking to your doctor first, nor is it a replacement for pharmaceuticals."

The second part of this sentence made me chuckle!
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post

"Before I let you go, I’d like to stress again that keto is NOT something to try out without talking to your doctor first, nor is it a replacement for pharmaceuticals."
Well. that's just plain ridiculous.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post

The second part of this sentence made me chuckle!
I think that they say that so that they do not get sued.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
that's my thinking too, don't want to cut into pharmaceutical profits

The only person I've told about my eating is my lovely grown daughter. She was kind of taken back by the high fat part, but I assured her that I wasn't eating tons of fat, just relative to protein and carbs. She could see that I had lost 20 pounds since last visiting her, so she didn't say too much.

For now, though, I am sticking to not saying anything, unless asked, and then I'll be a bit vague.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keo480
I tell people if they ask. My dh gave me a very hard time in 2010 when I did Atkins. Even after seeing the success. But this time around he read up a lot on it and confronted me nicely. He gave me his full support and even though he doesn't eat lc, he does not give me a hard time and encourages me to keep on.

Most people think it's unhealthy because the government tells us not to eat fat and eat carbs. They are just ill informed. I don't fight over it. I tell people why I do it and how it makes me feel so much better.
keo480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
I just explain that I don't eat grains, gluten, starches and sugar. Then, when they are interested, I'll answer more questions.

Here in bread worshipping Germany it seems that I'm the Antichrist in some people's eyes... Thankfully BF and family are aware of my diet, and they try to accomodate me.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lrrych
Stats: 198/160/160 6'0"
WOE: Ketogenic/Traditional-organic,raw and pastured
Start Date: May 2013
you've probably heard...

When asked I will respond;

You've probably heard about people lowering their carbs to lose weight, right?
they nod and I say "it's obviously worked for me very well and you've heard about eating whole foods versus processed foods, right?"

They nod and I say " I feel so much better and have so much energy especially after eliminating all wheat, starch and sugars." and I say "You've probably heard about trigycerides and HDL as markers of heart disease right? They invariably nod and I say "for me, it's improved all my numbers dramatically" (I don't give numbers and get technical unless they pursue it)

..and then I say.."It's amazing but since I've lost the weight and cured myself of type 2 diabetes I never really noticed how obese our society is and how riddled we are with pre-diabetes and type 2 . Have you noticed or heard?" They nod and usually provide an anecdote about overweight people and what kind of bad foods they're munching on .

I nod and conclude with " it's been an incredible journey of learning to live healthy, never going hungry, ever increasing mental clarity and the science behind it all..." I stop there usually but most people want to hear more so I give them a couple of web-links to check out and tell them the best way is to seek out credible information on their own. Baby steps, small digestible bits of info...if they're interested they'll investigate further. All I can do is point to the science.
lrrych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
I tell people I can't eat foods that spike my blood sugar.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote