Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
This is the best explanation I have heard till date. Thanks for the post, will use it in future whenever I need it... which is almost every weekend.

I had a weird experience at Subways this last weekend's lunch. It was at a food court and Subway seemed the least of all evils.
I asked the staff, "How much for a meat salad"?
"26 Dhs (7$)"
"Okay, how much for the veg salad?"
"16 Dhs (4.3$)"
I said thankyou and walked away deciding to skip lunch. Besides meat salad meant 2 thin slices to meat to a whole plate of vegetables and 1 slices of cheese. DH saw me and said, "just order the meat salad and eat what you can't, you can just sit there not eating anything with the rest group eating"
So I reluctantly walked back and said, "Ok, give me a meat salad"
"which meat ma'am?"
"turkey please"
She puts in 2 thin slices (I wanted to cry!)
"Vegetables?"
"er.. lettuce"
She dumps about 4 handful into the plate.
I was like, "no! no!, take it all away, just a bit of lettuce"
She removes more than half of it and asks, "what else?"
"um.. onions"
She puts a handful of onions
"then?"
"Can I have some more cheese"
"that will be 2Dhs (0.5$) extra per slice"
"Yes, that ok, I'll take it"
She puts some more cheese that adds up to 2 slices of cheddar cheese in total and look up at me as if to ask what else.

I tell her thats it, barely holding back my crestfallen face at the practically empty plate and the 26 Dhs (7$) I had to pay for it. She looked at the plate and looked at me.
"Dont you want anything else ma'am?"
"No thankyou its alright, I can't have anything else, I can just eat more meat and cheese but you dont have such an option..."
She then went off to talk to her senior and came back and sent my plate to billing.
The senior came in and billed me 16Dhs (4.3$) for my meat salad. I felt a lot better and grateful. It was not worth even the 16Dhs, but atleast I didnt have to pay 26 Dhs. I thanked them returned to me seat and had my sparse lunch.
I don't like Subway, it isn't very LC friendly IMHO. But when I've had to eat there, I just get a sub (on flatbread, usually), get a fork, open it up and eat it then toss the bread. You get a lot more of the good stuff (meat and cheese) than if you order a salad there for usually a better price. If you are celiac or gluten-sensitive then obviously you can't do this, but if not, it works well.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
Ugh Subway....so gross. If you want a good laugh, google Jim Gaffigan and Subway to see his hilarious bit about it.
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
The ending of the scientific american article:

"Before I let you go, I’d like to stress again that keto is NOT something to try out without talking to your doctor first, nor is it a replacement for pharmaceuticals."

The second part of this sentence made me chuckle!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post

"Before I let you go, I’d like to stress again that keto is NOT something to try out without talking to your doctor first, nor is it a replacement for pharmaceuticals."
Well. that's just plain ridiculous.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post

The second part of this sentence made me chuckle!
I think that they say that so that they do not get sued.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
that's my thinking too, don't want to cut into pharmaceutical profits

The only person I've told about my eating is my lovely grown daughter. She was kind of taken back by the high fat part, but I assured her that I wasn't eating tons of fat, just relative to protein and carbs. She could see that I had lost 20 pounds since last visiting her, so she didn't say too much.

For now, though, I am sticking to not saying anything, unless asked, and then I'll be a bit vague.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keo480
I tell people if they ask. My dh gave me a very hard time in 2010 when I did Atkins. Even after seeing the success. But this time around he read up a lot on it and confronted me nicely. He gave me his full support and even though he doesn't eat lc, he does not give me a hard time and encourages me to keep on.

Most people think it's unhealthy because the government tells us not to eat fat and eat carbs. They are just ill informed. I don't fight over it. I tell people why I do it and how it makes me feel so much better.
keo480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I just explain that I don't eat grains, gluten, starches and sugar. Then, when they are interested, I'll answer more questions.

Here in bread worshipping Germany it seems that I'm the Antichrist in some people's eyes... Thankfully BF and family are aware of my diet, and they try to accomodate me.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lrrych
Stats: 198/160/160 6'0"
WOE: Ketogenic/Traditional-organic,raw and pastured
Start Date: May 2013
you've probably heard...

When asked I will respond;

You've probably heard about people lowering their carbs to lose weight, right?
they nod and I say "it's obviously worked for me very well and you've heard about eating whole foods versus processed foods, right?"

They nod and I say " I feel so much better and have so much energy especially after eliminating all wheat, starch and sugars." and I say "You've probably heard about trigycerides and HDL as markers of heart disease right? They invariably nod and I say "for me, it's improved all my numbers dramatically" (I don't give numbers and get technical unless they pursue it)

..and then I say.."It's amazing but since I've lost the weight and cured myself of type 2 diabetes I never really noticed how obese our society is and how riddled we are with pre-diabetes and type 2 . Have you noticed or heard?" They nod and usually provide an anecdote about overweight people and what kind of bad foods they're munching on .

I nod and conclude with " it's been an incredible journey of learning to live healthy, never going hungry, ever increasing mental clarity and the science behind it all..." I stop there usually but most people want to hear more so I give them a couple of web-links to check out and tell them the best way is to seek out credible information on their own. Baby steps, small digestible bits of info...if they're interested they'll investigate further. All I can do is point to the science.
lrrych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
I tell people I can't eat foods that spike my blood sugar.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
I used to patiently explain to people what I am doing. But I got tired. So now I just say I don't eat processed food and sugar for my PCOS.

I am happy I think I may have converted a friend to lowcarb eating. She's 24, and losing weight.
Amélie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
I'm learning to stay away from my LCHF pulpit. I've had too many doctors, nurses, and anyone else stare at me as though I'll probably have a heart attack soon or lose all my muscle tissue.

One thing that I can say is that I'm working to control blood sugar. It's then difficult to not add something like, "You do know high sugar injures the body, don't you?"
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:59 AM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I mention low carb, bulletproof coffee (sometimes with ra aw egg). I've told some people I keep carbs < 20 carbs a day. I get more of a raised eyebrow about the raw eggs than I do low carb.

I don't go into the mechanics of it, but people pretty much accept that's what I do. My standard phrase: "I cut out the carbs" - most everyone I talk to seems to accept or acknowledge my choice.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #44
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I don't discuss my nutrition unless I have to. I never label how I eat by saying "LC" or "NK" anything like that. I follow my own plan so that helps.

If necessary I will vaguely describe the way I eat - protein, lots of vegetables, whole foods, healthy fats... Or no sugars or processed foods.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
I mention low carb, bulletproof coffee (sometimes with ra aw egg). I've told some people I keep carbs < 20 carbs a day. I get more of a raised eyebrow about the raw eggs than I do low carb.

I don't go into the mechanics of it, but people pretty much accept that's what I do. My standard phrase: "I cut out the carbs" - most everyone I talk to seems to accept or acknowledge my choice.
Oh gasp! Raw eggs! My son and his wife put them in their shakes every morning. I hadn't thought about it, but the raw eggs just might be more shocking that saying low carb.

I did make the mistake of telling the doctor's nurse that I ate no fruit. After my doc picked her up from the floor, he explained that all the nutrients in fruit are available in vegetables. too bad I can't get him on the ketogenic train.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:21 AM   #46

I don't eat raw eggs (well, rarely) but I really don't find that a shocking thing to do. Probably my weight training history has something to do with that. It has always been pretty common for bodybuilders to add raw eggs to their protein shakes.

I'm lucky that my doctor has absolutely no interest in what I eat. lol... He won't let me tell him - cuts me off if I start to say anything. I think he is scared he will learn something he does not really want to know!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rakh
We used to have raw eggs every morning. My mother made egg nogs, and my aunt did too when we stayed over there. Back when, no one blinked an eye to put some milk and raw eggs in a blender, with vanilla and sugar. Now every single egg nog recipe is completely paranoid about salmonella. Yet I know people who eat fried eggs with runny centers - if it is runny, the protein hasn't broken down so I can't see

I use pasteurized egg product, and don't have any worries therefore when I feel like having egg nog. Heavy cream of course though.

As for talking about my LC WOE: I feel comfortable saying "Atkins" and most people "get it". They don't get the almost zero tolerance of induction though, and don't get that yes, I can eat broccoli, but no, I can't have just one cracker.

I finally convinced my spouse to start it, and he is doing well. We also have found that in certain cases, it is more socially acceptable to say "I have a tomato allergy" than to say "no tomatoes on the salad". When we were at Disney, many of the restaurants asked if there were any allergies or special diets at the table. Our response is "we eat low carb, but we're aware of what we can and can't eat".

My doctors are more worried about my weight than what I am doing about it. Having decent cholesterol levels on my latest blood test helps.
rakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I don't eat raw eggs (well, rarely) but I really don't find that a shocking thing to do. Probably my weight training history has something to do with that. It has always been pretty common for bodybuilders to add raw eggs to their protein shakes.

I'm lucky that my doctor has absolutely no interest in what I eat. lol... He won't let me tell him - cuts me off if I start to say anything. I think he is scared he will learn something he does not really want to know!
I love your Sisson quote. If you've not seen the movie, Fat Head, it might be interesting to you (although you probably know way more than what's in the movie). It's available through Netflix and Amazon. It humorously chronicles the development of the present American and European diet. What a mess we have.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #49
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I get most of my eggs from Amish farmers who don't wash their eggs at all. There are some who say that washing eggs makes them more vulnerable to salmonella. I give them a quick wash (just water) just prior to breaking them. Europeans don't wash their eggs at all and store them at room temp.

I have recently discovered that raw egg yolk is very yummy. It is the white that is slimy and unappetizing. I like yolk at room temp with a bit of s&p. Quick, easy and so nutritious!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Russell1974
Stats: 5'8" - 361/262/161
WOE: high fat/low carb
Start Date: 5/1/2009
I just tell people that I watch what I eat, and exercise, which is actually true. I watch to make sure I add plenty of mayo to my chicken, so it is high enough in fat, and then go for a walk along the river

They are probably thinking I eat salads, and sweating on the elliptical, but if I am losing, and they are happy with my answer, then we both win. The only people I would really try to explain the diet to, are other diabetics. Most people are just asking because they feel required to, or want something simple, like you take the stairs, and lost 100 lbs. easily.

If they offer me food, I turn it down.. even if it was chicken slathered in mayo. If you accept one dish, they'll give another, and it will be carby, and then you have to explain your diet. So I just refuse all attempts at discussion about diet specifics, and eat alone. My goal is to improve my life, not spend it explaining what I eat to others. They can go eat rice cakes.

weight on 9/1 - 280.2

current weight: 262.0
Russell1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
So I just refuse all attempts at discussion about diet specifics, and eat alone. My goal is to improve my life, not spend it explaining what I eat to others. They can go eat rice cakes.

That cracked me up ! lol ! LOVE IT
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smallstonefan
Stats: 215/207/195
Start Date: September 15th, 2014
I'm a geek at heart, so I can't help but dive in the science when someone asks about my diet. The ideas are so new and counter to what is excepted, that most can't grasp what I'm talking about. Those that think it <might> make sense, wouldn't take such a drastic approach.

I have a great doc and I left a message for him stating what I was doing (exact macros), and his nurse called me back and said the doctor was "thrilled" I was doing this. That overshadows all of the crazy looks like get from the civilians.
smallstonefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BadWolf
if someone questions your diet just tell them your doctor recommended you do it. i mean whos gonna argue with a doctor right?
BadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #54

The first time I tried LC, I enthusiastically told everyone about it. I learned the hard way not to offer information that has not been requested.

I also learned to choose my words very carefully because the words you use can make the difference between getting a good response and beig told you are on an unhealthy crash diet.

I know what I am doing & why when it comes to what/how I eat. I don't worry about what anyone else says or thinks about it. My doctor doesn't want to know so he is not told.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 09-22-2014 at 10:02 AM..
Old 09-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWolf View Post
if someone questions your diet just tell them your doctor recommended you do it. i mean whos gonna argue with a doctor right?
No one should need to provide an excuse/reason for how they eat.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #56
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkm
Stats: 200/140/130
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 08/12/2014
We're retired and live in an "older" community - a lot of socializing centers around very carby food. People get pretty huffy when you turn down their "to-die-for" rum cake, or whatever. I have a reputation of being paranoid about my food.

And it doesn't help that almost all of the neighbors could stand to join me - I think sometimes they look at me and think I'm somehow judging them (I'm not).

We do have friends and family, but eating together is hard. And it is REALLY hard to keep my mouth shut watching how some of my grandkids eat! They consider Nutella on white bread a healthy snack, gummi worms not-so-bad for you, chocolate milk nutritious - I sure as heck didn't feed my kids that way, even though we ate a lot of grains/potatoes.

I've been low-carbing since 01/01/1994 (weighed >200#) - reached my goal weight in 1995 (125#) - maintained with a few blips (gaining up to 160#) along the way - lost weight on HCG but hated the no-fat! - now up about 10 pounds and looking for a solution!
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shortandsweet
Stats: 316/295/150
WOE: LCHF baby!
Start Date: September 2014
I have told my husband I am doing "low-carb" which seems to be enough explanation for him for now. I figure I will get more into specifics if (when ) I've lost enough that he notices a difference.
shortandsweet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
The most frustrating for me is wanting to share NK with loved ones that I know would benefit greatly. I've tested the water with a friend and a sister. For both it piqued their interest, but I never heard another word on the subject.

It breaks my heart to watch all my friend is going through: breast cancer (recent), diabetes, depression, neuropathy, fatigue and so on. She just keeps waiting for her doctors to give her another medicine to fix her problems, but I won't say anymore on the subject of diet. Only she can make that decision.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiogafamily
Stats: 245/233/150
WOE: Lchf
Start Date: Sept. 2 2014
Yep

I understand this. I haven't mentioned the ketosis thing to anyone because I know I will get the looks. I will say low carb because it' s lost a lot of the stigma it used to have. But high fat is harder for me to say.

Also, I work at a grocery store and it's hard not to notice that we have millions of fat free products but very little sugar free products. The world is still very stuck in the fat free mode.

This reminds me, I treated myself to a special treat at Starbucks yesterday. A sugar free mocha frapp which I never have because of the carbs (we were out of town) the guy asked if I wanted fat free milk and I said " no way I want all the fat and whip cream too!" I got a funny look but who cares I will never see him again ha ha. I was very lucky to still be in ketosis after that. Back to regular eating today.
Tiogafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Amélie
I would say it's a lot easier now though. A decade ago, I was still in school and my classmates would look at me like I was crazy when they see me eating protein (I was doing Scarsdale then) and throwing away the bread, etc.

I once suggested either Southbeach Diet or Atkins to a classmate who was gaining a lot of weight and she thought they were just diet fads. I would admit that when I started, I had my doubts. But this has been an incredible decade for low carb, especially with all the recent studies favouring this way of eating over the "healthy grains".

I think it's becoming more accepted in the medical community.
Amélie is online now   Reply With Quote