Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   What's the deal with wine? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/814209-whats-deal-wine.html)

cherylockholmes 10-07-2013 06:50 PM

What's the deal with wine?

(Pardon me if this has been discussed...I did a search, and came up with 20 some pages of posts, of which I do not have the time to sort through)

What is the story with wine on NK? I was always under the impression that wine=alcohol=sugar=bad, but I see people mentioning that they drink red wine, and I've even seen some people saying it has helped them to burn more fat? How does that work exactly? :confused:

MerryKate 10-07-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylockholmes (Post 16634634)
What is the story with wine on NK? I was always under the impression that wine=alcohol=sugar=bad, but I see people mentioning that they drink red wine, and I've even seen some people saying it has helped them to burn more fat? How does that work exactly? :confused:

I've never heard of wine helping anyone on NK. My understanding is that alcohol is something the body uses quickly, like sugar, and it can cause blood sugar swings. Overall, it's best avoided if you want to get into/stay in ketosis. That said, some people drink it without any issues - it really depends on the individual (like everything else about this plan). If you really want to have it, I'd say avoid it for the first few weeks until you know for certain you're in ketosis, then try having a glass and see if it knocks you out of ketosis.

Checkoutchick 10-08-2013 01:37 AM

Good advice :up:
I do drink wine in moderation (mostly :hyst:) and I calculate it into my plan. So far that's worked for me.
I would suggest to get keto adapted first though before imbibing :D

cherylockholmes 10-08-2013 04:08 AM

Thanks, I figured that was the case. I was trying to find a link to the article I found but can't....but basically this guy was drinking it every night with dinner and touting its benefits for helping him burn more fat. Seemed ridiculous to me, and probably is! lol

clackley 10-08-2013 06:17 AM

Wine does have carbs and the number depends on the type. Straight alcohol does not have any carbs but some of the mixes may. Alcohol is processed by the body differently than the other macro nutrients and it's affect on the body in respect to ketosis seems unclear.

At one time, an Atkins type of woe was known as the drinking man's diet. I think this came from Dr. William Banting's plan written in 1863. He was a drinker and had a low carb plan that allowed him to return to a normal weight while still consuming alcohol.

As we all know, each of us is different and while this may work for some, it may be disastrous for others.

snowangel9 10-08-2013 02:31 PM

But, when you do consume alcohol, your body switches to burn that first. Sweeter wines I think would be even worse. That said, this is my life and I like wine. Just not drinking it for awhile..

nill4me 10-08-2013 05:43 PM

I am a wine-o. I have a glass or two on the weekends, and count it in my carbs.

OurMrSmith 10-09-2013 03:23 AM

Yesterday, I had two 250ml glasses of "table red" with a very nice (slightly bloody) flat-iron steak and salad for lunch, and a bottle of Hardy's CS Red with a Salmon salad for supper.

This morning's Ketones: 1.3mMol.

I drink a lot of red wine - far more than the recommended maximum. Meh - it's less bad than smoking (which I also used to do but quit 12 years ago) - if I felt at all "hard-done-by" on this diet, I'd not do it. Sure, that much wine probably slows down my weight loss - and if I'm focussed on that (like I will be shortly), then I stop it - at least it's easier to stop than the smoking was!!

AnnetteW 10-09-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OurMrSmith (Post 16636274)
Yesterday, I had two 250ml glasses of "table red" with a very nice (slightly bloody) flat-iron steak and salad for lunch, and a bottle of Hardy's CS Red with a Salmon salad for supper.

This morning's Ketones: 1.3mMol.

I drink a lot of red wine - far more than the recommended maximum. Meh - it's less bad than smoking (which I also used to do but quit 12 years ago) - if I felt at all "hard-done-by" on this diet, I'd not do it. Sure, that much wine probably slows down my weight loss - and if I'm focussed on that (like I will be shortly), then I stop it - at least it's easier to stop than the smoking was!!

I also drink more than I should, I adore wine and it makes me feel good in the evening. But when I'm actively trying to lose, I stop. Right now I'm maintaining (cause I'm not feeling very motivated) and enjoying the wine.

Logically it doesn't make sense to me, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

sheened 10-09-2013 04:55 AM

OP glad you posted this!! Been wondering the smae thing!! My husband has booked a surprise weekend away in Dubai (brits living in kuwait) and I was a bit worried about wine, as its banned here I simply have to have some when I'm able to. No wonder he looked really shifty when i said i'm going to try to recommit to my diet. Bless him.

Food I can handle (I really am looking forward to steaks nom nom nom) the only problem is trying to figure out how much of an impact wine will have. I'll be honest this is going to be a bit of a booze fest but on the upside we are only going for three days soooooo hopefully not too much damage will be done. If i have to go through bloody keto flu again it will be worth it! Lifes too short!

Its reassuring to some people are being able to maintain while still drinking. Fingers crossed it wont be a disaster!!

greenandchic 03-07-2014 09:36 PM

I was wondering about alcohol too. Good to know the opinions here are at least mixed.

Maddyg2013 03-10-2014 08:12 AM

I can drink quite a bit of wine and it does not knock me out of ketosis. I know cause I test every morning.

clackley 03-10-2014 08:20 AM

Are you testing with urine stix? If so, you may be getting a false positive. They can only tell you that you were in ketosis sometime in the recent past and NOT what your current status is.

All wine has at least 1 carb per ounce. So if you were to consume a wine like that and have a moderate amount, it is possible that you have a higher carb tolerance than you are eating at.

Many people find that any alcohol consumption is challenging to ketosis due to uninhibited food choices (i.e. they end up cheating). If this is not an issue, it is also true that some low carbers from the 1950's called this the 'drinking man's diet'. I would think they were referring to hard liquor though.

earthcrosser 03-11-2014 09:19 AM

I'm glad I found this thread. So far, I haven't given up wine and I'm losing just fine, and able to control my hunger (it can definitely mess with my appetite!). I have 1-2 5 oz glasses when I drink it, and it's white, so I just count it into my carbs for the day. It is much easier for me to give up anything else in my diet...if I find I stall I will give it up for a while to see if that helps.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Maddyg2013 03-12-2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16830936)
Are you testing with urine stix? If so, you may be getting a false positive. They can only tell you that you were in ketosis sometime in the recent past and NOT what your current status .

I use novamax and I test in the morning. .5 to 1.5 depending on activity.

Mr_Geiri 03-19-2014 02:58 PM

I thought alcohol itself was not suppose to effect it but rather the carbs that sometimes come with it. Alcohol isn't carbs although it's made from carbs. The clear spirits have never ruined anything for me but I don't drink that much wine so I have less experience with that.

Mimosa23 03-20-2014 01:29 AM

I love a good glass of dry white wine, red wine or champagne, but it doesn't love me back. I try to keep it to a very rare occasion when I drink alcoholic beverages. Seems to work better for me. I had a couple of wine spritzers (dry white wine and sparkling water mix) the other day and it totally messed with my numbers and my weight for a few days. So, it's a no go if I want to lose...

grneyedldy 03-20-2014 05:11 AM

For me, drinking alcohol (spirits without added carbs) is like hitting the pause button for weight loss. I love wine, but know I would stall. Also all my wine glasses hold way more than 5 oz. for a "serving". :hyst:

Mr_Geiri 03-20-2014 05:25 AM

My main worries about alcohol is that I handle drunkenness worse and I always start craving carbs. Not helpful when all the friends order a pizza for the end of the night. It's like a milder version of pot smoking, but still bad.

sbarr 03-20-2014 06:33 AM

Geirl - good analogy. There have been threads in the past - "what is your trigger food" - my first thought: wine. At times, it does cause a clean day to become quite messy.

I'm holding off on wine while I try to become keto adapted.

I think once I get there and my numbers are solid and consistent, I will probably try 1 glass or 2 glasses of red wine (separate tests on different weeks) to test my blood ketones the morning after.

Maddyg2013 03-20-2014 06:43 AM

It is amazing how we are all different. We were out last night so I had one glass of Chardonnay and two wonderful 5 oz glasses of Bordeaux last night with our steak dinner. I am watching my calories so I was a little high. (Over 1500 when I am trying to shoot for 1200-1300 range). But I exercised with 20 min on a stationary bike, 20 on a treadmill and 15 weightlifting. I was also pretty careful what I ate that day knowing we were going out to dinner. I measured 1.5 on the Precision meter this AM and was down on the scale. To me wine has always been the sugar I craved. Cakes and dessert stuff never interested me. I really like that I can have this indulgence of 2 5 oz glasses a night and still lose. That is why it is so key to measure your blood ketones. That is the only way to know your body and what works and what does not.

sbarr 03-20-2014 07:34 AM

Maddy, that is interesting. Congrats on the 1.5 after 3 glasses of wine - my meter is in the mail from Amazon, but my sticks are in the mail from Canada so I have a bit of a wait.

What's your normal ketone level?
Is that level of exercise typical?
How were your carbs for the day when you factored in the wine?

Maddyg2013 03-21-2014 03:14 AM

You know those keto sticks are expensive but I think it is really important to test everyday when you are starting this diet. It gives you the opportunity to really know yourself. I think exercise has also been a game changer for me this time around. It lets me mess up and still stay on the diet. Thursday I had roughly 1568 calories. Unfortunately if I switch the app to check the numbers I will lose this paragraph. So I will post now then go back and check the stats on the last few days.

Maddyg2013 03-21-2014 03:34 AM

Back again. Fasting AM Ketone readings: Wed 1.1, Thurs 1.5, Fri 2.1. I use an app called Lose it which I love. Food Stats: Tues 1205 cal, fat 100, carb 39, protein 50, Wed 1435 cal, fat 113, carb 51, Protein 109, Thurs 1523 cal, 153 fat, 66 carb, 55 protein. Some of those carb counts don't take into account fiber. I have been losing a little everyday. Funny how my fat grams went up so did my ketone readings.

clackley 03-22-2014 09:12 AM

One point about alcohol consumption that did not seem to come up is that low carbing seems to make people 'light weights'. Be careful about the first drink to see what it's effect is.

ladyboss7 03-22-2014 01:47 PM

I learned early on the hard way that I can stick to vodka or bourbon and easily stay in ketosis and even be "down" on the scales the next day.....but mysteriously enough a day or two later I'd always be UP on the scales, despite being super good on my WOE. I finally figured out that the only reason I was "down" the day after my drinking was the dehydration from the alcohol and my true weight was more accurately being portrayed the 2nd or 3rd day. It ALWAYS does this to me and it will take me easily 3 or 4 days of clean eating and lots of water to get back on track. I know this now, so I rarely indulge in alcohol. I do from time to time, but at least I know what I'm dealing with now when I do.

Mimosa23 03-24-2014 01:30 AM

I just posted this in the other alcohol thread, but I thought I'd post it here too:

I have just realised yesterday that I just don't feel the need to drink at all. I know I can't drink and lose weight so I'm not drinking because I need to lose weight. But generally on weekends I do allow myself to have a glass of something alcoholic if I want it. There is just no want at the moment. The weekend comes and I think that I could really 'do' with a glass of wine, and then the moment passes...

Beer now just tastes gross to me, whereas before I loved a nice cold beer. It just tastes overly sweet now.

I guess I never thought I'd be a very sporadic drinker! I have always been a regular drinker, a couple of glasses of wine (I love wine!) a day type person, but since I started NK, the need, desire and taste for alcohol have lgotten less and less. I realised I don't miss not drinking, and I don't need to have a drink anymore in social settings either. I just feel better when I don't drink I guess.

Just a realisation I had over the weekend!

ETA: but what am I going to do with all my nice wines I have in the cellar?????

sbarr 03-24-2014 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16848195)
I just posted this in the other alcohol thread, but I thought I'd post it here too:

I have just realised yesterday that I just don't feel the need to drink at all. I know I can't drink and lose weight so I'm not drinking because I need to lose weight. But generally on weekends I do allow myself to have a glass of something alcoholic if I want it. There is just no want at the moment. The weekend comes and I think that I could really 'do' with a glass of wine, and then the moment passes...

Beer now just tastes gross to me, whereas before I loved a nice cold beer. It just tastes overly sweet now.

I guess I never thought I'd be a very sporadic drinker! I have always been a regular drinker, a couple of glasses of wine (I love wine!) a day type person, but since I started NK, the need, desire and taste for alcohol have lgotten less and less. I realised I don't miss not drinking, and I don't need to have a drink anymore in social settings either. I just feel better when I don't drink I guess.

You could have been describing me. Your nice wines can be saved for some special occasions - collecting wine is still fun. I had a really nice Cab sitting on my counter and I'd walk by and look at it and pass - I was more interested in the scale in the morning.

Interesting thought - ultimately, alcohol was a sugar. I wonder if NK is good plan for reduction or elimination of alcohol.

ladyboss7 03-24-2014 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16848195)

That is me to a T right now.....I love wine and I love Bourbon......and I have had occasional indulgences in the past 3 months since I restarted....but VERY occasional and very minor.....I just haven't enjoyed it as much when I did have some and I sure didn't enjoy the scale the next day!! I find it's much easier to simply do without.....and I don't feel deprived, I actually feel better!!

Mr_Geiri 03-24-2014 08:12 AM

Whether I'm low-carbing or not I'm always lighter the day after (from dehydration, the stuff that makes us hungover) and then heavier 2-3 days later when the real weight shows up.