Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kay72979
I want to start the keto diet,Help please

Can someone help me out and get me started. I have been reading and going to different websites about Ketogenic diets and really confused. I am 5' 7 1/2" tall and 200 pounds. I started a diet a month ago called Healthy Solutions. I did this diet 3 years ago and lost 30 pounds on this..This time it isn't doing anything for me. I walk 7 days a week for 40 min each morning. My Keto calculator that I looked up shows this 1867 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
20 g Carbohydrates (4%)
90 g Protein (19%)
159 g Fat (77%)
does this sound right? My next question is how do you know what percentage of each thing you are eating and where can I find a list of foods to not eat and what to eat...Need someone to be patient with me as I am slow at comprehending things....appreciate any help
kay72979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: August 2013
Hello Kay. Welcome! I am still relatively new to Nk myself....I started a few months ago. There are others on the board with more knowledge than me who might be able to help you more. I think the numbers you listed look like a pretty good place to start. This diet takes some learning and some tweaking to find what works best for you. Most people don't worry to much about the percentages. I use an app on my phone that automatically tracks my percentages. Most people stay under their carbs, eat enough protein, and then eat until satisfaction with fat.....if that makes sense. I do check my percentages just out of curiosity. Another thing that might be helpful, especially in the beginning, is measuring ketones. You can do this with ketosticks or a blood meter.

As far as food you aren't allowed to eat, there isn't any set list. Again you just have to find what works best for you. Some people limit nuts/seeds....some can't eat yogurt or cottage cheese. It's a process of trial and error. Hope this helps some. If you have anymore questions, ask away!
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: speds
But the one thing to remember you ARE NOT limiting fat so if you do eat cheese and yogurt (I do) make sure it's the FULL FAT versions - steer clear of anything fat free or low fat. They aren't doing you any favors. Along with sugar and processed carbs, those are really on the "do not eat" list.

I don't pay much attention to my percentages but your's look pretty good. I would probably up the protein just a smidge if it were me but the carbs and fat look good.
speds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thank you stawalke and speds..I see some people do the bulletproof coffee also with this..Is that a daily drink or not?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay72979 View Post
Can someone help me out and get me started. I have been reading and going to different websites about Ketogenic diets and really confused. I am 5' 7 1/2" tall and 200 pounds. I started a diet a month ago called Healthy Solutions. I did this diet 3 years ago and lost 30 pounds on this..This time it isn't doing anything for me. I walk 7 days a week for 40 min each morning. My Keto calculator that I looked up shows this 1867 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
20 g Carbohydrates (4%)
90 g Protein (19%)
159 g Fat (77%)
does this sound right? My next question is how do you know what percentage of each thing you are eating and where can I find a list of foods to not eat and what to eat...Need someone to be patient with me as I am slow at comprehending things....appreciate any help
Looks like a good place to begin. Protein grams are a very individual thing. Most people find that they have to adjust as they go along. Are you using a blood ketone monitor? If you know you are in ketosis and are fully adapted, the next step is to cut back on fat if not losing.

Last edited by clackley; 10-08-2013 at 12:48 PM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Chatty Cathy,,,i haven't even started this diet yet..still researching I guess and maybe gun shy? Scared of the extra fat and gaining more weight? Not sure where to start? Unsure of what I should or should not eat? No, I don't have the ketone monitor.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: August 2013
Quote:
Thank you stawalke and speds..I see some people do the bulletproof coffee also with this..Is that a daily drink or not?
I have bulletproof coffee every morning. Yum Yum
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
Quote:
Chatty Cathy,,,i haven't even started this diet yet..still researching I guess and maybe gun shy? Scared of the extra fat and gaining more weight? Not sure where to start? Unsure of what I should or should not eat? No, I don't have the ketone monitor.
A good way to start would be with Atkins Induction to get into the Groove
Then do some research, for example on this forum, google Dana Carpender, Jimmy Moore, The Diet Doctor, etc about NK. If you like it you'll probably just slip into it. That's how it happened to me
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Kay my stats are pretty much the same as yours - I am 5'7 and 1/2 and weighed 200lbs on 10/5. My doctor is the one who turned me on to this type of dieting. He told me to go on Atkins and cut out my carbs. So I started the Atkins Induction on 10/5 and today weighed at 192.1. But the Atkins Induction does limit what you can eat at first. Just google atkins induction.

My best advice - quit researching and jump in! You can modify your woe as you learn and go forward. That's what I did. I modified the Atkins Induction and the Juddd program together. It works so far for me. Second thing is to make sure you get a digital scale that measures in the .1 or .2 lbs.

Good luck and Get started! You can add me or message me anytime if you need a buddy.

~Melissa~

Last edited by mjgh06; 10-08-2013 at 06:09 PM..
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Hi Kay,

I was doing a diet where I was unintentionally eating 65% fat in my diet and thought a transition to keto wouldn't be too bad from there! I found keeping an eye on the net carbs works for me, i don't worry so much about the percentages but I do try to keep my carbs under 20g. Fill up on the fat! As others here have said it's very individual, I eat an avocado a day and nuts and it keeps me happy but it may not be for you. The advice about starting with atkins induction is a really good one.

Also google lowest carb veg, there are loads of lists out there which you can use as a guide. There are also keto cooking sites which may be helpful for you. Most of all the first few days are tough but it gets much better, the other day i stayedin bed till midday and was ravenous, few days later I feel sprightly and not particurly hungry.

Good luck xx I'm sure you will be absolutely fine!
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all for the help. Going to start the Atkins induction. I printed out all the foods allowed on the Atkins induction...will be checking back in after I have been on it for a week.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Kay - Linda Sue recipes are wonderful Induction recipes. Just google her. Those are the ones I use most often. There are also some great recipes on here, just harder for me to tell which are induction friendly. But they are all So delicious. I can't believe you lose weight eating all this good food. But we do and you will too.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
20 g Carbohydrates (4%)
90 g Protein (19%)
159 g Fat (77%)
Feel free to ignore percentages and ratios. They mean nothing to your body.

Decide how much protein you need, add in the amount of carbs you want or can tolerate, and then add enough fat to keep hunger at bay. What those things are in relation to each other (percentages, ratios) do not matter. All that matters is the absolute number of grams of each.

The Optimal Diet (a good NK diet) says that a person of your height should weigh 158 pounds and you should eat 64-79 grams of protein per day.

I actually found that eating just a few grams higher than my high is better for me and keeps me from losing lean mass. But we are all different and need to find out what works best for us.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Thank You mjgh06 I googled Linda Sue and will check the site out Makes things easier and Rebecca I will keep that protein amount written down to go by and make sure I eat my fats.....I love my fruit and that will be hard to cut out for now...concentrate on protein and fats and keep carbs low.....Thank you
Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank You mjgh06 I googled Linda Sue and will check the site out Makes things easier and Rebecca I will keep that protein amount written down to go by and make sure I eat my fats.....I love my fruit and that will be hard to cut out for now...concentrate on protein and fats and keep carbs low.....Thank you
I used to LIVE for fruit, but after years of not really having any, I have gotten over it.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

man,,,,are you supposed to feel nauseated when you start eating like this? Food tastes good, but after I start eating I feel half sick and like it is going to go right through me...I try to eat real slow.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

What are you eating that is making you feel sick?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

last night i had a big salad with olive oil/vinegar and blue cheese. this morning i had coffee with whole cream,,,2 eggs fried in coconut oil and a piece of sausage...and a glass of unsweetened almond milk

Last edited by kay72979; 10-10-2013 at 06:40 AM..
Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Is this the first time you are eating a high fat diet?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
last night i had a big salad with olive oil/vinegar and blue cheese. this morning i had coffee with whole cream,,,2 eggs fried in coconut oil and a piece of sausage...and a glass of unsweetened almond milk
It might be the coconut oil, start slowly on that, some people are very sensitive.

I eat eggs almost daily for breakfast but I still use butter just to save me from a possible surprise at work.

High fat might be difficult at first, it probably took me 2 months before it was fine. Now I eat so much fat it's crazy and I love it.

More mayo please.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Kay, have you used coconut oil before? If you haven't gotten your body adjusted to it, it will make you nauseous and can even make you have flu-like symptoms at first. I stay away from it right now during induction and use olive oil.

Did you google the keto calculator? It will tell you what gram amount of protein and fat and carb you need to lose weight. I ignore the carb estimate because I keep mine under 15 net carbs a day during Induction.

After you are past Induction and into OWL, there are some fruits you can add back into your diet. I personally have 75lbs to lose so I plan on staying in Induction for awhile, plus never have been much of a fruit eater.

Start a journal of what you are eating and drinking daily. That has helped me a lot, but you have to be very honest with it and include the oils etc that you use in recipes. In my journal on here I list out my weekly meal plans and then post if I made changes to it and what I actually ate. Doing this would help you narrow down what is making you sick. Also if you have a list of what you're eating, we can all look at it and help you with it, or offer our suggestions.

Stick with it, it will get better!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

yes..this is my first time with high fat....i had heard that it takes a while for the body to adjust..just didn't know i would get this type of side effect...almost like being pregnant and morning sickness feeling....lol even the smell from breakfast is nauseating me..never used coconut oil before i guess
Old 10-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I would stop using the coconut oil and use olive oil instead.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I would not stop the coconut oil, but I would back off on it and slowly increase as your body adjusts to it. Start with only 1 teaspoon per day for several days, then try 2, etc. Many people have a reaction if they are not used to it.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #25
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think the suggestion to ease into using coconut oil is a good one. The other thing that happens is that when switching between a higher carb woe to ketogenic woe, the digestive system needs to adjust with the level of digestive enzymes. Some people experience a total reversal of gerd, others experience worse gerd and then there are those that feel nauseated. Some simply feel good.

It can take up to a couple of wks. to overcome this and is advisable not to take any o.t.c. remedies other than maybe probiotics, digestive enzymes etc. Some fermented foods can help as well such as genuine sauerkraut (not the stuff made with vinegar but the stuff that is simply cabbage and water).

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 10-10-2013 at 08:25 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote