Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Do you count total carbs or net carbs? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/814143-do-you-count-total-carbs-net-carbs.html)

Punkin 10-07-2013 03:14 AM

Do you count total carbs or net carbs?

I know there was a thread on this awhile ago but I don't remember how the majority if NK people count total carbs or net carbs. I am just curious what are you counting for NK, net or total?

clackley 10-07-2013 07:19 AM

Total with one exception which is avocados. If I didn't do that, I would never eat them and I think they are such a good food.

nill4me 10-07-2013 07:21 AM

I have been counting net carbs.

Ntombi 10-07-2013 04:30 PM

Total

cfine 10-07-2013 06:14 PM

Net

RebeccaLatham 10-09-2013 01:12 PM

I use total.

jephersun 10-09-2013 01:19 PM

I count net.

MerryKate 10-09-2013 11:01 PM

Both...just to be difficult. :) Overall, I count net carbs, but I also keep my total carbs under 50. Dr. Phinney indicated that eating less than 60 total carbs is ideal for ketosis, and less is better.

sheened 10-10-2013 04:50 AM

Net because otherwise my daily avocado won't fit in and I like my nuts.

clackley 10-10-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16637574)
Both...just to be difficult. :) Overall, I count net carbs, but I also keep my total carbs under 50. Dr. Phinney indicated that eating less than 60 total carbs is ideal for ketosis, and less is better.

Not to be picky but it is 50g or less.

anglgrl 10-10-2013 09:02 AM

Total.

lovetoknit 10-11-2013 03:32 PM

Total, but I do not eat very much fiber anymore, so it is a moot point.
Carolyn

Aomiel 10-14-2013 02:19 PM

Total

MerryKate 10-14-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16637719)
Not to be picky but it is 50g or less.

Actually, I was surprised to see 60 g or less in the Art & Science of Low Carb Living - I thought it was 50, too. I suspect the higher number is for men - seems women need to keep their carbs lower overall to lose. I basically try to keep mine as low as possible, but if I have a high day it's never above 50.

lazy girl 08-08-2014 11:32 AM

Are you people who are counting net carbs able to stay in ketosis?

Today, my total is going to be a little over 21gm, but net will be less. I treated myself to 1/4 C chopped avocado and that really raised my total for the day. I really, really want a full cup of cauliflower with smoked Gouda this evening.

CarolynF 08-08-2014 11:36 AM

I used to count net, but think I had better start counting total. Everyone is different, of course..;)

grneyedldy 08-08-2014 11:54 AM

I count net (for fiber) and have no problem staying in ketosis.

eta: especially for avocado because they are so good for you. Have a half of one.

clackley 08-08-2014 01:06 PM

I see I already answered the question but I would add shirataki noodles to my 'allowable' deduction of fibre. I still generally stay under 25g even if I have those 2 items in one day but prefer to hit my goal of 14g or under.

DiamondDeb 08-08-2014 01:23 PM

My first experience counting carbs was Protein Power so I learned to count net carbs - subtracting fiber only.

I really don't "count" much these days because my carbs come mostly from vegetables & a bit of flax meal. Even counting total carbs my carbs stay low. I log my food on my tracking app & notice the number of carbs & the fiber count but, at this point, I don't need to plan them since they are so low.

abuvia 08-08-2014 02:08 PM

Similar to Merry Kate, I count net but make sure to keep total carbs under 30.

backseatadventurer 08-08-2014 04:49 PM

I do total.

I don't do fake sugar or carb replacements, so it makes things pretty easy. For vegetables that I know are keto friendly I don't worry too much. Dairy, nuts and other incidentals I do count as they are easiest to overdo.

Just remember that not all carbs are created equal. Berries are completely out for me. It doesn't matter if I count net or total. I get a huge rush and crash, so I suppose that I'm just fructose sensitive. I can actually eat bread with an equal amount of carbs without such a huge blood sugar response but my stomach doesn't tolerate grains.

All I can say is that experimentation is your best friend when deciding whether net or total carbs work for you. Or which method to use for particular foods.

You might like to buy a blood sugar monitor and chart for a couple hours after you eat something. I'd certainly recommend it for any processed food you'd like to eat regularly, even those that are supposed to be low carb.

lazy girl 08-08-2014 06:26 PM

I check my blood glucose 5-6 times a day. But I presently don't have a way to check ketones although a Ketonix is on the way. I can eat a few berries, but not many and right now, I use no grain except for flax seed. I was using 1Tlb of Einkorn flour in some recipes, but have quit that for a while. And for now, it seems it would be prudent for me to count total carbs, but I wondered if there were some people who could actually get into ketosis and lose weight by counting net carbs. It must be a "YMMV" issue.

clackley 08-09-2014 05:23 AM

Yes it certainly is a YMMV issue. It depends on how carb sensitive you are and if you are a type 2, you are very carb sensitive. That seems clear. Things can improve over time and adherence but probably not that much.

Jleighs 08-09-2014 06:37 AM

I count total. Counting net carbs didn't work well for me after the initial round of weight loss. The weight just started really slowing down. Once I started counting total carbs, the weight loss picked up and has been pretty steady even though I'm now only about 6 pounds from my goal weight (new goal is 125). I also don't experience any stalls with counting total. That was not the case with counting net.

I also very much appreciate the simplicity of counting total carbs. No more poring over labels and entering the info into a hidden carb calculator. I was pretty sick of that. But again, everyone is different. This is what works for me. :)

kitten1972 08-09-2014 07:49 AM

I'm counting both. I'm using a carb tracker app and I was able to set goals in there for total and net carbs. I chose 35/20 for now, I'll see how that goes.

mneveux 08-09-2014 08:51 AM

I used to count net but after just finished reading Keto Clarity I have switched to total.

DiamondDeb 08-09-2014 09:42 AM

If I was still eating dairy I would definitely be planning & watching my carbs more closely because those carbs add up quickly. When I ate dairy I planned for net carbs to be 30g max.

As it is, just eating vegetables and a few tablespoons of flax, my total carbs stay low & net is even lower. When I eat something different I watch more closely, but on an ordinary day I don't need to.

Patience 08-09-2014 12:09 PM

I have tended toward net, but I am rethinking this.

lazy girl 08-09-2014 05:52 PM

Keto Clarity has made me rethink the net carb issues. Earlier this week, I switched to total with good results.
There are those who do well with net carbs and don't need to change, but for me, it's going to have to be the total.

lazy girl 08-13-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16633719)
Total with one exception which is avocados. If I didn't do that, I would never eat them and I think they are such a good food.

That avocado in my produce drawer kept beckoning and I gave in today and devoured it. So, in the next few hours, I'll check blood glucose a few times to see how it affect me. Hopefully, there will be little to know effect because those fruits are delicious and good for us. Yum!