Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Coconut oil

Hi guys,

I'm consideringcincorporating some coconut oil into my diet, however I've read that some people have experienced adverse affects.

Is anyone using it and how do you think it has affected your weight (obviously this is hard to gauge but did you notice any changes when you started using it).

Would appreciate any input anyone can give me.

Thanks.
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I use it quite a bit as a healthy fat. I don't notice or think it adds to my weight loss though. I also use it externally, and it does help that way. I never had any adverse effects, but some people find they do better when they ease into it.

There are a ton of threads about coconut oil both here and in the main lobby. There's one on the first page of the ML right now, and if you use the search function, you'll find hundreds more.

Last edited by Ntombi; 10-06-2013 at 03:44 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
The problem that most people have with incorporating coconut oil (which is an medium change triglyceride or mct oil) is that it is digested much more quickly than other fats and can cause some distress particularly when brand new to it. The common advice it is to begin with smaller amount like a tsp. and work up.

My own experience was to have a small amount and within a very short time, I had a bit of nausea and subsequent need for the potty. I stepped it back by mixing it with my coffee and slowly increasing the amount. That was more than 3 yrs ago. I now can use it freely with no problems.

At the time that I began using it, I was in a stalled weight loss place and either coincidentally or maybe because, I broke the stall. I may have been outside ketosis and the coconut oil pushed me over but I was also not consuming enough fat... that is for sure.

I have been in weight loss stall for much longer since then and no amount of coconut oil or total absence of it makes a difference. It is however a staple now because of it's healthy properties.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated, there seems to be a a variety of reactions and responses to coconut oil, i'll definitely consider adding it once I'm over keto flu!!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/233/160-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 9/9/13
I love it. Especially if I need to up my fat ratio some, or need a boost. Makes an awesome lotion too!
nill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I also have it daily, just for the health benefits. I don't know if it aids in my weight loss, but it certainly doesn't hurt it any.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Looking at all of your starts it really hasn't hurt!! Well done guys, I'm so impressed!!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
You don't actually have to 'eat' it either. Cook with it, use it to fry your eggs or whatever. Find ways to incorporate it into your baking (when you get there). I haven't tried it yet in coffee or as a 'fat boom', but I could see doing that too.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheened View Post
Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated, there seems to be a a variety of reactions and responses to coconut oil, i'll definitely consider adding it once I'm over keto flu!!
I may be too late for this, but eating coconut oil can actually reverse some of the effects of ketosis flu. If you're not used to eating it, try 1 tsp at a time - maybe some in your coffee, or make coconut oil bark - melt 2-3 TB in the microwave, add 1 TB unsweetened dark cocoa powder, add your favorite SF sweetener, stir well, then spread over wax paper on a plate and put it in the fridge to harden. Then eat a serving here and there when you feel sluggish - the MCT in the coconut oil gives you quick energy when your body is ketoadapted.

Last edited by MerryKate; 10-09-2013 at 11:27 AM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote