Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Ice
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ice
Nut Butters to get in the fat

I'm a newbie so forgive all my questions. I've been transforming my self from a SAD lifestyle to LC, more living foods for enzymes and now adding HF. I have one of these machines featured in this video. I absolutely love this baby. It's helped in a huge way getting my spouse off of sugar by my using my homemade nut butters to make his "sweet" treats. The sweets are nothing more than the nut butters with a wee bit of honey added on top of ground nuts with some dates added to hold the base together. Anyway, I don't do coffee or tea due to caffeine issues so I can't add fat or HWC etc to that. I thought maybe if I made coconut butters that I could make "treats" out of that as a way of my getting the fat into my diet. I don't think I'd need to add any honey or sweetener. What ya think?

Last edited by Ice; 10-05-2013 at 04:53 AM..
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Looks yummy, but remember that nuts have a good amount of carbs.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Ice
Junior LCF Member

The video is about nut butters....I thought of making coconut butter from unsweetened coconut flakes, since it's a healthy fat but just using the butter for the entire treat. Pour in a small mold, chill and eat. Sort of like a fake fudge maybe only using just the coconut butter. Every thing I've ground in this machine is fabulous. Better than any store bought nut butters. I've bought many jars of coconut butter but never found one I like. I've not made any myself yet so today I'm gonna go buy some coconut flakes and try some. Maybe I could even use some in my green smoothie if I start eating them again.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I make my own nut butters in the food processor and they make great sauces. I find them sweet enough without adding honey or sugar. Sometimes you need to add oil, especially with the cashews and some of the other lower fat nuts. But that doesn't hurt the ratio, adding sugar might though.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
I love coconut butter, and I occasionally shell out the big bucks for store-bought. Btw, there is a video on youtube showing the process; you can do it with a basic food processor, so that serious nut grinder of yours should work well. Coconut butter doesn't need added sugar - it's sweet enough on its own - so coconut butter isn't too high in carbs, and the flavor goes a long way.

What you're talking about making is similar to a fat bomb I've made by adding extra coconut oil to coconut butter (to make it smooth) and dividing it among a dozen mini-muffin cups, and popping it in the freezer to stiffen up. You can add a second layer of coconut oil mixed with butter, dark cocoa powder and sweeteners, and after 10 mins in the freezer you have candy!

Since you're looking for ways to add fat to your diet, try keto clouds as well. Mix 8 oz. cream cheese with 4 oz. unsalted butter or coconut oil and some kind of SF sweetener. Divide the mixture into 24 balls and freeze for 10 mins and serve. You can vary the flavor by adding vanilla or other flavors, and it's like having a mini ice cream ball.

Both types of fat bombs are very satisfying. I find the chocolate ones good for curbing chocolate cravings.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Ice
Junior LCF Member

MerryKat,

Thank you for the fat bomb recipe. I've not had cream cheese in years. I might have to give this a try this weekend.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
This looks so good and I would make macadamia nut butter in an instant if it did not stall me, but I do believe it does.
However, if I ever reach my goal, maybe I can add some nut butters back in to my diet.
So I will keep this in mind.
Thanks Ice!
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote