Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
High Fat NK 80/15/5 - OCTOBER Version

Come join us for a little NK chit chat this month.

Someone needed to get a new thread going so I volunteered!!! What's happening in your world these days?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
OH jeez, you're right, it's October.

I love October, I love Fall and the colors and cooler weather, and it won't be long till I can wear sweaters and such. Love jeans and warmer clothes.

I did my 3 meals only/no snacks yesterday and survived. Now to do it again today.

Just had my breakfast and now to wait 5 hours for lunch...darn that puts it at after 2 PM, that's late, then dinner at 7 (close enough).

No snacks huh....ugh.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I'm having a marathon cleaning session in my kitchen today. I had to take a break and ice my back so that I can continue. So far I've gotten my frig cleaned out and the microwave. Next I will be tackling the counters and sink. Also doing my laundry. My DD usually does it, but she has been so busy that I decided to do it this week. Not fun! If I get everything done I think I will go and get a pedicure. My toes are looking bad.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
Start Date: August 2013
Wow I forgot it was October too! October is my favorite month of the year. Baseball playoffs (Go Braves) and football (Go Colts)!

I have had a really tough week. I found out my grandfather has prostate cancer that has spread to the bone and does not have long to live. I fell of my diet and have just been eating whatever I want. That is my problem, when I become very stressed I eat carbs! I had to weigh in and do measurements today (was supposed to last week). I was only down four pounds of fat and down some lean muscle mass! My measurements weren't much better. I am trying to get back on track today. I really need to get it in gear!
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

((((Hugs)))) Stawalke. That is a hard thing to go through.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stawalke View Post
I have had a really tough week. I found out my grandfather has prostate cancer that has spread to the bone and does not have long to live. I fell off my diet and have just been eating whatever I want. That is my problem, when I become very stressed I eat carbs!
I'm so sorry about your grandfather...that's a hard thing to go through. I can sympathize about the diet - I do the same thing. If you can get back on plan quickly, it will limit the "damage" - but remember, every day is a new day. You get a fresh start tomorrow, no guilt and no regrets needed. In the grand scheme of things, it's just a diet.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
Start Date: August 2013
Thank you Cfine and MerryKate. I made it to the grocery store yesterday so I have lots of low carb stuff today. As of today I am back on track!
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Ice
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ice
I'm new to the forum and to NK. I've been doing LC for 3 weeks and feel better in many ways. I've know about Ketosis for years but NK is new to me. I've watched some videos with Dr Peter Attia and Drs Phinney and Volek which led to me here. I have no books, etc, so not sure how to start this. I have read some on Jimmy Moore's site and think I'll order the ketone meter. I gave up grains nearly two years ago and last year stopped dairy. I have autoimmune issues and other health issues but gained a huge amount of weight 3 yrs ago. I've been struggling since trying to get this weight down. Anyway, not sure I'll be knowledgeable enough to estimate my goals, etc, and I guess I need to order a book. I'll be following you all until I get the courage to jump in.

Ice
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Welcome Ice. Please feel free to jump in now. We are all learning as we go. Reading and discussion are our best tools.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome Ice. It took me a little while to figure out NK, but now it's a breeze. I was determined to figure it all out so I just kept reading and learning.

Today has been a hard day for me. I think it's because I didn't start my day off by actually eating. I drank a homemade protein shake. For some reason, I need the actual act of eating. I have over eaten in the protein department. I guess things could have been worse. At least I didn't eat off plan.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Ice
Junior LCF Member

Does anyone have a LCHF green smoothie recipe? without dairy? I stopped my green smoothies 3 weeks ago when I went LC but I so miss them and the nutrients I got from them. I think the hardest thing for me will be getting in the high fat without dairy.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ice, try coconut milk in a can. It's dairy free and high in fat.

I am so excited. I haven't been able to find my beloved Paleo wraps recently, so I bulk ordered them straight from the company. They finally came today. I have missed them terribly! Guess what I'm having for lunch?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Cfine what Paleo wraps do you use?
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
Ice
Junior LCF Member

cfine,

what is a paleo wrap? What am I missing?
Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I'm new to the forum and to NK.
We're glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Anyway, not sure I'll be knowledgeable enough to estimate my goals, etc, and I guess I need to order a book. I'll be following you all until I get the courage to jump in.
If you want to buy a book go ahead, but you can do it without the books. Basically, NK is very similar to a regular low-carb diet, but we limit the amount of protein as well as carbs. You want to figure out what your protein level should be first, and make sure you eat that much. Then you target how many carbs you want to eat (best to keep it below 50 total carbs) and then eat fat to satiety.

First, determine your protein requirements. You need to know the appropriate goal weight for a person of your height and frame size. Your protein is calculated from it so it is important to know what's right for your body.

Convert your ideal weight in pounds to kg (ideal_weight/2.2) then multiply the result by your protein factor (PF). Dr. Phinney recommends a protein factor of 1.5, but that seems to work best for men. More than a few of the women on here have found that eating that much protein can stall weight loss. I personally use a protein factor of around 1 to 1.2. I'd suggest starting out higher and then dropping down if you're not losing - it's important to get enough protein.

So the final calculation is (ideal_weight/2.2)*PF to get your protein grams goal. An example: (150/2.2) * 1.2 = 80.

Be aware that there are few if any overt signs of protein deficiency until there is a crisis situation with your body, so take care not to eat too little protein. Dr. Phinney said that .8g/kg_ideal_weight is too little.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Another thing to keep in mind is that if one is over consuming protein, they will not be able to stay in ketosis. That is the beauty of being able to test.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julian Bakery has come out with a new wrap that is made out of coconut. They are 70 calories and 4 net carbs each. I absolutely love them. I usually have one for lunch most days. I do tuna salad, egg salad, deli turkey. They can be tricky to find though.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moss11
Like others I was thinking why can't I find the NK September thread!!
Agreed cfine I also need the actual act of chewing. Drinking just doesn't do the same! Was just considering my protein needs and have taken the plunge and changed my ratios to 80/15/5, hoping that little bit extra fat and less protein will satisfy without the occasional binge which still happens. Trial and error. Welcome ice hope it goes well for you!
Moss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Julian Bakery has come out with a new wrap that is made out of coconut. They are 70 calories and 4 net carbs each. I absolutely love them. I usually have one for lunch most days. I do tuna salad, egg salad, deli turkey. They can be tricky to find though.
Oh boy, I'm going to see if I can get some. Flax seed bread/wraps does a number on my tummy so hopefully coconut flour is ok. Thank you
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Happy Monday morning everyone. Trust me, I'm not really that chipper.

Don't have anything too exciting to report. My scale isn't really moving much lately (I'm not really trying too hard) but the bodyfat is slowly moving down which is kind of exciting. I have a digital scale that sends the weight and bodyfat to my computer (so I don't have to think in the morning) and that's a big help.

And my blood sugar is currently down, most days at least. It pops up now and then, obviously based on the day before and even how fast I digest. I expected it to be up this morning as I ate a load of wings, dressing and celery last night, but it wasn't.

NK and low carb is sure going to make maintenance easy, as long as I don't start having too many cheat days. At some point I do need to get motivated and lose this last 10 lbs. I'm not motivated yet.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/240/150-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 8/19/2014
Happy Monday morning, courtesy of usairways gogo wireless! On a flight to philly for work. So glad they have wifi. My new meter came this week, and happily my ketones have been in the 1.4 range. Woot! I am very happy about that because I've not been losing, so I've been a bit worried. I think its just that adjustment period. Here is to a great NK day!
nill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

My head started spinning this morning and a little motivation to start kicking butt has appeared again. My weight dropped back to the low I saw 2 weeks ago, so I know my body is still working downwards, just super slowly. And that little nod in my direction is making me think.

I'm contemplating something new. No, not a change to my diet, the diet part is going great and is so easy right now. But there's something I absolutely detest doing, and I'm wondering if it might help me out (it has in the past.) Supplements...I really don't like taking them, but I'm reading and taking notes on things and I think I am going to work out a super duper plan for me and taking supplements and see if that adds something to my diet.

So I'm off to the natural grocers to pick up a few things to add to my arsenal, and I'll probably add something else next week.

Later this afternoon I'm going to write up a specific plan (and will do that instead of my beloved knitting.) Will even sit outside with the pupster, who will be in heaven, with a laptop (which I hope will still work).
Old 10-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #23
Chatty Cathy

Annette, have you considered using a graph for record keeping? I found this really useful because I could easily see my trends. Sometimes (like now) it is difficult to see any positive changes but the chart will reveal them even it it has to be over the entire last 4 yrs!! Just a matter of perception for me.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

A graph of what exactly?

I do a certain amount of tracking, depending what I'm in the mood to track. I tracked calories so much in the past that it's nice not to track those. And when I do a quick daily tracking of protein/carbs, I'm doing just fine.

I do have all my weekly excel charts in my journal. And any of that can be turned in to a graph.

~~~~~~~~

I am in the process of making lunch right now, can't wait, as I'm so hungry (skipped breakfast today.)

I bought a few things, a probiotic (need to work on my gut, have had a bit of problems lately). Also some CLA/GLA to try, a different magnesium (gut issues ???) more almonds, some more yummy chocolate. Oh, and a butternut squash.

I want to make a butternut squash and creamed spinach dish I saw recently. Wouldn't that be great with porkchops.

I'll probably be chatty today, back in a bit.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
Chatty Cathy

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I turned my excel info into a graph and it was that look over time, that showed me the trend.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Here's my graph for you. As you can tell my weightloss has slowed tremendously. And if I want to get to 135 or lower, I probably better put a little effort back in to it.

Guess that told me what I needed to know...lol.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #27
Chatty Cathy

Nice chart! Or should I say, nice weight loss!!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #28
Chatty Cathy

I am sure this has been discussed lots before but I wasn't part of it and wonder if you all would entertain me? I wonder what people who are losing weight are consuming in terms of macro nutrients. By this, I mean the number of grams.

My goals look like this and I generally am pretty close although I struggle to keep the protein in line. The rest is fine. Protein often ends up 5 to 10 grams higher.

TOTALS: 15g carbs total, 107g fat, 45g protein,

Carbs are often lower as is fat but not by a lot.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 10-11-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Old 10-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I'm not currently tracking, but when I do I easily stay under 20-30 g of total carbs, and protein seems to be around 60-90ish.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherylockholmes
Stats: 193/184/165
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post

Here's my graph for you. As you can tell my weightloss has slowed tremendously. And if I want to get to 135 or lower, I probably better put a little effort back in to it.

Guess that told me what I needed to know...lol.

Thanks for the reminder that weight loss isn't linear! I'm only on Day 12 but saw the scale jump up almost 2lb. this morning and was frustrated...seeing this reminds me it's normal and I should calm the heck down. lol
cherylockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote