Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #61
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Rebecca ((((hugs)))) to you. My husband, daughter,,and myself had to move in with my parents last year because my mom was getting to be too much for my dad to deal with. I really think that my mom has more of a type 3 diabetes instead of the usual Alzheimer's. she is so mean to us when it comes to her food. Her BS runs in the 200-400 range all of the time. It's awful. I am determined NOT to be my mom when I get to be a senior.

I have successfully made it through three days of strict, LC eating. I am feeling better about the world again.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Rebecca ((((hugs)))) to you. My husband, daughter,,and myself had to move in with my parents last year because my mom was getting to be too much for my dad to deal with. I really think that my mom has more of a type 3 diabetes instead of the usual Alzheimer's. she is so mean to us when it comes to her food. Her BS runs in the 200-400 range all of the time. It's awful. I am determined NOT to be my mom when I get to be a senior.

I have successfully made it through three days of strict, LC eating. I am feeling better about the world again.
Thanks for the hugs and all the best to you in your quest!
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Lowcarbella, Dr. Phinney's comment that 0.8 g protein/kg being too little applies overall, not just to athletes. Athletes would need a higher protein level - more like 1.2-1.3 g/kg, depending on their energy output. I'm going with 1 gram/kg ideal body weight because I'm a slug. Using that information, I just redid my numbers and discovered I've been a little high on both protein and carbs. Might explain my slow loss this month.
MerryKate, thx for the clarification.something to keep in mind for me.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Keep in mind that some of your protein will come from other foods that you eat, like dairy, eggs and veggies. It is not as simple as saying how many ounces of protein should I eat. Some ounces of meat have more grams of protein than others, depending on how fatty the meat or fish is. The best thing to do is to put your food into some sort of tracking system and see how many grams of protein you are actually getting, all sources taken into account.
Which of the above numbers are for fat, protein and carbs?
thx Rebecca for your valuable suggestions.

As of now,I am still playing around with my numbers.

I used some calculators online and found my protein range to be 60-90.
Carbs I plan to keep below 20gms(not net) Max would be 30.
Fat is most confusing though with a range from 120gm -220 gm
One calculation I used is the Optimal nutrition formula.

There seems to be two school of thoughts on eating more fat and eating less fat for ketogenic weight loss.I plan to start on lowest range and work my way up .

I don't like counting calories or entering stuff into trackers,but I think I will have to bite the bullet and do what it takes.

I have misplaced my meters and strip,need to go looking for them.

Has anyone noticed that getting good reading coincide with greater weight loss or there are no patterns at all?
180:
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
So the other day when I had my pizza crust flop (I miscalculated when cutting the recipe in half and use the full amount of water) I ended up putting the watery dough in a baking dish and cooking it, kind of like a corn bread or something, that size.

It really came out with a bready texture and I kept thinking it would be good as a stuffing base instead of bread crumbs or corn bread.

So now I've got a chicken roasting in the oven and I made up some traditional stuffing with onions, celery, italian sausage, butter, seasonings, and my pizza dough flop.

I think it's going to be delicious.

It's Maria Emmerich's amazing pizza, though I used chia seeds instead of psyllium and 2x the water (though I halved the recipe.)

Will let you know how it comes out after it bakes later, but the mixture tastes wonderful. I didn't stuff the bird with it though, just in case.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kymmiek
Stats: 147/144/121
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Oct 2013
Well i drank wine last night, and i feel terrible today. I can usually have 3glasses and feel fine, but not today. i think i will be staying away now.
kymmiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/240/150-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 8/19/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
So the other day when I had my pizza crust flop (I miscalculated when cutting the recipe in half and use the full amount of water) I ended up putting the watery dough in a baking dish and cooking it, kind of like a corn bread or something, that size.

It really came out with a bready texture and I kept thinking it would be good as a stuffing base instead of bread crumbs or corn bread.

So now I've got a chicken roasting in the oven and I made up some traditional stuffing with onions, celery, italian sausage, butter, seasonings, and my pizza dough flop.

I think it's going to be delicious.

It's Maria Emmerich's amazing pizza, though I used chia seeds instead of psyllium and 2x the water (though I halved the recipe.)

Will let you know how it comes out after it bakes later, but the mixture tastes wonderful. I didn't stuff the bird with it though, just in case.
Looking forward to hearing how this turns out.
nill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Been pretty happy that BS for the last couple of evenings has been under 100 before bed. This morning it was only 116, AND Ketones were 1.1 woot!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #70
Chatty Cathy

That is great Jenn! Bet you are feeling pretty good as well.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Cathy, and yes, honestly I am feeling pretty good right now, which is a blessing in and of itself!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #72
Chatty Cathy

I Hear you.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Let us know how that comes out...I love stuffing! FWIW, I've had good luck with adapting Laura Dolson's flaxseed focaccia to stuffing - it's really close in taste and texture to cornbread stuffing.

I got started listening to some of Jimmy Moore's Ask the Low Carb Experts podcasts. James Clear was advocating a 16-hour fast that starts at 8 p.m. at night and lasts until noon the next day. I wouldn't have thought that would qualify as a fast, but apparently you get a good 6-hours of fat burning out of it. Since eating at night tends to lead me into temptation, this can only be a Good Thing.

So far it's been good for me - I stopped eating after 7:30 p.m. last night, and I didn't start again until after 1:30 p.m. today. After only one day, I feel oddly energetic. I rode my bike to the library and back (8 miles RT) before I had "breakfast." I'm not sure I'd advocate doing that on a regular basis, but it was interesting to find I could do it without feeling like I wanted to fall over.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Interesting observation MK. I have found that I also feel I have a little more energy when I'm a little "hungry"...not in the physical sense, but metaphorically speaking, telling me that my body likes more to be fueled...rather than"fed", so i've been working on shifting myself toward that.

on another note. Tuesday and Wednesday I ate virtually duplicate diets with two small exceptions. yesterday i added two baby gourmet cucumbers with salt at lunch, and last night I added two TBSP cream cheese in the evening, as I had a bit of a gnawing feeling.

BS yesterday morning and this morning are almost identical...116/119 respectively, which is good, and expected (my sugars run high in the morns). Ketones had a swag though of 1.1 yesterday morning and 0.6 this morning. I was surprised at this, as i would have thought, while not that far off overall, the numbers would have been closer (logical side of my brain). Activity level didn't change either. I'd of course be happier if those numbers were closer together, on the higher side

I was well within my macros for carb and protein also. Interesting.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I'm ready to pull my hair out...for reasons I can't pinpoint, I started gaining this month. I'm up 4 lbs. Everything has been on track - my total carbs have averaged 30, with net carbs at 22, and 74 grams of protein, and I've kept my calories to 1800/day. At the very least I should be maintaining, but realistically I should be losing. I'm out of strips, so I can't say what my ketosis levels are.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am up a bit this month too, after a good September.
I'll be reading the answers to your question, MerryKate.
I can see a few little things I can do better in November, but not much.
I don't count my calories, but may need to start.
I think my body is taking is settling in to a new set point.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

I too have settled, right at the 145-146 range, but I'm not letting it bother me. I think a bit of a maintenance period is good and healthy.

I used my last blood ketone strip today, and I have decided not to buy anymore at this time.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Good morning from above the clouds! I love my gogo wifi. I hope everyone had a great weekend, mine was fab. I got so much accomplished. Sorry about your struggles MK. I know how truly frustrating that is. Everything is right and by the book, but the body just struggles.

My ketones were a tad low this morning, but I had a lot of veg and protein Saturday and Sunday, so I'm ok with that to a certain extent, except that it means I'm not fully adapted yet, which is a little disheartening. Its ok though, I'll have those numbers righted in a day or so. Just gotta keep on keeping on.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

I just got the Kick weight with keto book by Kim Knoch.Amazing success story on NK.
Her b4 /after pics are amazing.
I got the book mainly for recipes.
She has lots of info on NK,but nothing new IMO than I already knew.
Some recipes are also duplicate of what I have,and I collect a lot of recipes.
But there are some good ones that I like to try.
she has these recipes adapted from Weston Price cooking(sp?)
there are some glitches/grammar mistakes but nothing you can't overlook.
I like her idea of focusing more on the most important first,and then let everything fall into place/get into nitty gritty later.Like a beginning Low carber first focus on getting the diet right,rather than trying to make perfect homemade mayo and cooking everything from the scratch.More in the lines of my own thoughts.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

It looks like there will be more Keto books in the near future. Maybe that's the direction the low-carb is moving. You always need something new to keep selling.

Maria Emmerich has one coming out next month, and Jimmy Moore's will be next summer I believe.

It will be interesting to read the different takes on the concept.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:26 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Okay, so I'm just eating and my weight (and blood sugar are quite stable right now). In less than 2 weeks my daughter is heading an online exercise program, and I told her I'd join, it's one of the BeachBody programs. I'm thinking when that starts I can try to reign in a bit and try to drop a few pounds.

Weight was 146, and FBS 95 today. My blood sugar is still running a bit higher than I'd like, though it's very consistent, day to day, which is what I wanted when I researched a new meter. I'm probably still just the littlest bit high on protein, I'm not putting anything in a tracker right now, maybe when the fitness challenge begins, I'll track at that time and try to set some limits.

Another issue I'm having is still loose stools. I thought maybe it was the magnesium, but I have it when I don't take them. I really don't think I'm allergic to anything. I know too much salad can bother me, I don't eat fruit lately at all. I didn't eat nuts for a couple days (no change.) I haven't tried cutting out dairy (no cream in my coffee, and I'd be so sad.)

What I ate yesterday:

B- decaf coffee/cream (4T), 3 eggs, 1T butter
L- decent sized salad with cucs, peppers, pork, dressing
D- salad, dressing, hamburger, avocado, bacon
S- almonds, wine

I think I might try adding some fiber, see if that "binds" me up a bit. I have acacia fiber that is good for IBS-D.

Any other suggestions? This has been going on for months now.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #82
Chatty Cathy

Annette, I have found that a good probiotic really does the trick for loose stools. Try it for at least a week. The other things that are quite helpful are fermented foods such as sauerkraut (make sure it is just cabbage and water on the ingredients label.. Bubbies is excellent) and even yogurt (with life bacteria).

Clearly I am saying it is a gut flora issue for me!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Another issue I'm having is still loose stools. I thought maybe it was the magnesium, but I have it when I don't take them. I really don't think I'm allergic to anything. I know too much salad can bother me, I don't eat fruit lately at all. I didn't eat nuts for a couple days (no change.) I haven't tried cutting out dairy (no cream in my coffee, and I'd be so sad.)

What I ate yesterday:

B- decaf coffee/cream (4T), 3 eggs, 1T butter
L- decent sized salad with cucs, peppers, pork, dressing
D- salad, dressing, hamburger, avocado, bacon
S- almonds, wine

I think I might try adding some fiber, see if that "binds" me up a bit. I have acacia fiber that is good for IBS-D.

Any other suggestions? This has been going on for months now.
What worked for me is this:
digestive enzymes for extra fat-
lipase is the name of the enzyme I believe.When we lack in this,we cannot digest fat.Initially when I started on LCHF,I needed this.the brands I use are theramedix and EnzymeScience?
If u r using enzymes first time ,u need to work up the dosage.too much at once may stench ur tummy.not a good thing.perhaps start with half a pill.

Some advise HCL and heartburn capsules,I never had any response to them.

I found out that Xantham gum constipates me.So I take them for remedy for loose stools.However it also stalls me.I used to use it as a thickener in HWC smoothies for puddings in the morning.when i stopped them,I also dropped weight.

Another thing that works is homemade ginger tea if fat is not the issue and it is more like a IBS/irritated bowel.brew tea in a pot with fresh grated ginger,add sweetener and a pinch of salt.drink a few cups and you will feel some relief.can also add peppermint leaves.

I second the probiotics.we all could use more.

I have so many food allergies,I deal with these issues regularly.So I have different remedies for each issue.You could try cutting diary products and see if that is the issue.

let us know what worked.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #84
Ice
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ice
Just checking in. The month is nearly gone....where does time go.

This week I've lost the same 2 pounds over, and over, and.....Looking back at week one, which I lost 6.5 lbs, I may go back down to the FAT grams I was eating then, 63 g average. My protein now is less than my first week as are my carbs. I have my calories back down to under 1,500 the past couple days.

I have the ketone meter but still waiting on the strips. Urine strip says I'm in ketosis, but I've read more cons then pros on their reliability.

I'm not having a daily BM so thinking of adding some ground flax seed to my eggs, etc to get my intestines emptying. Hate to feel bloated. Anyone else having this issue?

Still using my tracker daily which I would be absolutely lost if I didn't.

For those without gallbladders, are you taking any bile salts? I bought some but have not tried them yet. I'm VERY sensitive to things and haven't gained the courage to try them. In the past I have done digestive enzymes without any negative impact, maybe I should go back to those? After starting the BPC, I have had explosive stools every couple days, probably undigested fats. I also have recently read quite a few sources that says if you've had the gallbladder removed you should NOT do a ketogenic diet due to the high fat content and not being able to digest it. I know I am deficient in Vit D3 and have tried for the past 3 yrs to get my numbers up. Since it is a fat soluble vitamin, maybe that's why I can't raise it?

Anyway, anyone posting in this thread lost their gallbladder and have any thoughts on it's impact when doing a ketogenic diet?
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Ice, I've had my gallbladder removed, and I don't have any problems with the high fat. I've been constantly in Ketosis for the last 8 months, and I do follow an NK way of eating and have no problems. My dr told me after having it removed that I'd have to eat very low fat for the rest of my life, but that was definitely not true for me.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I'm ready to pull my hair out...for reasons I can't pinpoint, I started gaining this month. I'm up 4 lbs. Everything has been on track - my total carbs have averaged 30, with net carbs at 22, and 74 grams of protein, and I've kept my calories to 1800/day. At the very least I should be maintaining, but realistically I should be losing. I'm out of strips, so I can't say what my ketosis levels are.
Try lowering your protein and your carbs.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #87
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Try lowering your protein and your carbs.
Carolyn
I would have suggested lowering fat. Your protein and carbs are likely pretty okay but it sounds like you are consuming around 120+ grams of fat. Phinney says that cutting fat is the way to go if carbs and protein are already in line.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #88
Ice
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Ice, I've had my gallbladder removed, and I don't have any problems with the high fat. I've been constantly in Ketosis for the last 8 months, and I do follow an NK way of eating and have no problems. My dr told me after having it removed that I'd have to eat very low fat for the rest of my life, but that was definitely not true for me.
Thank you for the info. I lost mine when very young, 22 yrs old. No one of course told me anything and I was one left with the dumping syndrome for many, many years. I had no idea why until I got the internet and then read all about it.

I looked at my digestive enzymes and it says it's for fat, protein and carbs as well as beans, grains, and sugar. So tonight before I ate I took one. I'll do this for a few weeks and see if it helps at all with my FB stool issues.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shelleyvdp
Stats: 286/262/165
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 18th September 2013
Pushing past a stall

Jimmy Moore started eating 12% protein to get past his stall. It depends what works on your body.
shelleyvdp is offline   Reply With Quote