Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Hi guys, i started keto on sunday and my husband (fortunately or unfortunately depending in how you see it) booked a weekend away for my birthday, as i live in a dry country this involved a lot of booze on our trip. I was 11st 4.6lbs (158.6lbs) when i left on thursday and am returning home tonight. I was quite curious about how booze affects your weight while on keto so i thought I would post my results tomorrow.

As to the food well i've eaten a lot of meat and eggs, I can't be accurate about the amount of carbs (apart from alcohol) i've consumed but apart from that i believe i have been bang on in my choices.

So i will let you know what I weigh tomorrow for anyone who's interested.

One thing i will say is beware!!! I have never ever actually had a proper "i wish i was dead" hangover, on holidays i always bounce out of bed and then drag my husband up, but i have never felt as awful as i did yesterday, maybe because it was the first week of keto and i expect my blood sugar was quite low plus probably being slightly dehydrated but it was awful.

So i would recommend going easy if you chose to have some drinky drinky, unless you are responsible and only have one glass of wine anyway!

Last edited by sheened; 10-12-2013 at 05:31 AM..
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #32
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am interested to see how you did!

When I go on vacation, I enjoy the wines of the regions I am in and have not had a gain from it. I know it increases my carb counts but somehow, it just doesn't add to weight. In fact, last trip was 16 days and I came back a lb. or 2 lighter. I can't quite fathom why but it is what it is.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

hi clackley!

I agree with you, I know some people feel you shouldn't especially given that I've just started but I enjoy wine, given I don't have a chance usually I am not passing up on the sancerre!!

I was quite curious as I was scanning websites looking for some idea of what you can expect. The mother of all hang overs may be a combination of things. My husband posited the theory that I was suffering from a significant blood sugar drop the next day, also first week of keto I have been drinking a lot of water but not so much while I was away also I rarely drink now so I can't handle as much as I think I can!!

I tried to log a rough estimate of my carbs by eyeballing my glasses and guestimating about the food I ate. I think I have definitely come in under 30g net a day but my calories must be around 2000, I ranged from 1200 to 1800 so this will be quite interesting!!
Old 10-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I am sure this has been discussed lots before but I wasn't part of it and wonder if you all would entertain me? I wonder what people who are losing weight are consuming in terms of macro nutrients. By this, I mean the number of grams.
This is my average over the past week:

99g fat
76g protein
48g total carbs (not net)

This is my new plan that I am starting now:

119g fat
90g protein
25g total carbs (not net)
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Right weigh in results are (drumroll.....) 160lbs. I am up 0.4lbs. I am actually fine with this, i've been eating on average 1600 calories this week which is four hundred more than i was able to eat on a low calorie diet to lose weight so thats a plus! I also usually put on more so this isn't too bad, and 0.6 at my current weight may as well be a rounding error!! Surprisingly i also managed to stick to the eating plan despite the booze which never happens as i always get the munchies after drinking, so that was a small victory.

So that was my first week of keto, 4 days being angelic and 3 days trying to pickle my liver and i'm down 3.4lbs. I think if i hadn't gone away that would have been more but its still on that downward trent!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #36
Chatty Cathy

That is great! I always have to temper my small loses and gains with remembering that we all have fluid fluctuations that can be as much as 4lbs. on either end. It has to stick for a while before I get excited.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Thanks clackley, I'm learning to roll with the punches! I was 188lbs last year and losing weight has involved loads of weight fluctuations so i decided just to suck it up, get over it and keep on. 0.6lbs is nuffffin as we say in my hometown!

Main thing is I managed to duck the hash browns and toast and crusty bread rolls which is usually really tough for me so I think this way of eating is helping me to stick with it. Being able to do that made me feel pretty good, i wasn't battling my will power to stop myself. Others must have experienced this too? Its a bit of a relief!!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I've been lazy this past week and it shows. Still eating on plan, though I ate out a 2nd day in the past week, and that's not good for me at all. Plus I have another meal out on Sunday, but it's lunch and I'll be extra careful.

Plus I found a new favorite wine at Trader Joes and have had much too much. It doesn't take me out of ketosis, but seriously...I need to just say no.

It's all out of the house for now.

Weight is up a pound and bodyfat registers higher too. Maybe skipping the wine alone will help with that.

Plus I've been lazy with exercise, I've been holed up in my sewing room again, and that makes me happy. Sewing, knitting....too much fun.

I made the most delicious creamed spinach and butternut squash to go with our pork steaks last nice, so yummy, and I ate much to much of it.

I've gotten so accustomed to low carb foods that's it much to easy to overeat now. Where before the thought of "more fat" kind of was gross, now it's divine.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post

This is my new plan that I am starting now:
119g fat
90g protein
25g total carbs (not net)
Rebecca, is there a reason you're changing? Just curious.
MerryKate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Weight is up, so it's time for me to be more diligent.

No wine last night means I'm hydrated this morning (a possible culprit for the scale being up.)

I also quit taking magnesium this past week as I had constant "looseness." (a possible culprit of weight being down...and now not "going.")

So I'm not going to spaz out about it. Eating is still fine, just tighten the reigns a bit.

Of course, this morning I was out of cream (huh?) and am having some milk in my coffee. I guess a total of 1/4c of whole milk won't shoot my whole day.

I have tried all sorts of magnesium. Now the plan is to stay off for a few days, then add it in at a lower dose, only 200 mg at a time. In fact, that might be all I can handle.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #41
Chatty Cathy

Annette, do you use coconut oil as a regular thing
Old 10-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Rebecca, is there a reason you're changing? Just curious.
I noticed that I was losing a little lean mass when I was eating the way I was, so I just changed it up a little bit to see if it would help.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Annette, do you use coconut oil as a regular thing
I use some, but not very much anymore. Lately I've been using much more butter. I don't care for the taste of CO.

Why do you ask?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:29 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Weight up again but I had pizza last night (good reason huh) and the water retention is obvious on my scale (bodyfat scale.) The weight goes up, the body fast doesn't change. It's just water.

My pizza reason was really a bad one. I made a low-carb crust and it didn't come out at all, and I just said heck, I'll eat pizza, everyone else had a delicious crust that I had made (regular crust.)

I seem to be eating a carb meal every 5-7 days. One higher calories, high carb meal kind of negates the other meals, so I probably need to watch it.

Physically I feel good and the comments are rolling in on the weight loss.

I still need to work on this though.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/233/160-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 9/9/13
Happy monday from the friendly skies. It was so wonderful to be home this weekend! Im a tad frustrated, since I've finally been able to monitor ketones after a week of no access. I've been struggling to get over .03 which seems odd to me, given what I eat. I've also not dropped an ounce so obviously there is some tweaking to be done. I'm going to lower my protein just a touch this week to 65g. I've been averaging 72. I am also going keep a close eye on the rest of my macronutrients. Somethng has got to give sooner or later...lol

The upnote is that my bg is really good. My avg this last week was around 112. Woot. Have a great nk day!!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

I have had my Alzheimer's sister with me at my house since Saturday at noon. She will be here until late this afternoon. Usually I travel 5 hours (round trip) to spend every other weekend at her house, but we decided to change it up this time.

It was a brutal visit, because she cried at the top of her lungs literally all day long.

It is so stressful caring for her that I usually stop caring about what I eat and eat bad things and carbs. With her at my house, I had more control and ate right on Saturday and most of the day Sunday. Last night I ate just the toppings from many slices of carryout pizza, and four bites of ice cream. Not too bad, but I know that it was totally stress eating, because I was full and just kept eating to try to sooth myself. My father was here visiting my sister, and he was upset over her condition, so the day was stressful on many levels. Especially since he is 84 and starting to slip mentally. Having the two of them together is not good.

Today, I am back on track and tracking. I see no reason why I should stray from my path.

Needless to say, I will NOT be getting on the scale today.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #47
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
I use some, but not very much anymore. Lately I've been using much more butter. I don't care for the taste of CO.

Why do you ask?
It can be good for 'potty issues'.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Today is day three being back on track. We went camping and I just blew it. What can I say? Life happens. The bad news is that I'm not going to meet my personal goal of hitting onederland in October. The good news is that we had a wonderful camping trip. Sometimes getting away from being the caretaker is a necessary thing for your sanity. We have to go back out of town from Tuesday through Friday next week and I am hoping to be in a good frame of mind when we leave so I don't go off plan. I have the hardest time when I'm not at home. I did enjoy the s'mores though. I used gluten free graham crackers and SF chocolate.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:

So the final calculation is (ideal_weight/2.2)*PF to get your protein grams goal. An example: (150/2.2) * 1.2 = 80.

Be aware that there are few if any overt signs of protein deficiency until there is a crisis situation with your body, so take care not to eat too little protein. Dr. Phinney said that .8g/kg_ideal_weight is too little.
I am recalculating my macros a different way this time to see if I have any luck with NK . Last time I fell off wagon(my own fault though).

Does Dr Phinney say that in regard to athletes about .8 being too little?

I feel comfortable with 1 grm per body weight in kg.So far I have come up with 68-86 grms protein,20 grm carbs,130 -150 fat.
Does that sound right?

about how many ounces of protein that would be?
My total calories will then be
272+80+1170=1522
that comes to about 77% fat-84%

I am not starting NK right now,want to be happy with the numbers first.
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
Does Dr Phinney say that in regard to athletes about .8 being too little?
I don't remember reading about that, but I would imagine that logic would tell us that athletes would need even more protein than non-athletes.

Quote:
I feel comfortable with 1 grm per body weight in kg.So far I have come up with 68-86 grms protein,20 grm carbs,130 -150 fat.
Does that sound right?
Yes, that sounds good to me.

Quote:
about how many ounces of protein that would be?
Keep in mind that some of your protein will come from other foods that you eat, like dairy, eggs and veggies. It is not as simple as saying how many ounces of protein should I eat. Some ounces of meat have more grams of protein than others, depending on how fatty the meat or fish is. The best thing to do is to put your food into some sort of tracking system and see how many grams of protein you are actually getting, all sources taken into account.

Quote:
My total calories will then be
272+80+1170=1522
that comes to about 77% fat-84%
Which of the above numbers are for fat, protein and carbs?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #51
Ice
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ice
I started NK on the 13th, weighed on the 19th, and was down 6.5 pounds. I've never lost that much in a week before no matter how hard I've tried. I won't look for that kind of loss this week, but hope maybe a couple pounds. I've added BPC to my menu plans but use decaf coffee. I also made some FBs and have one every couple days if I'm running low on fat.

First Week Averages -

Calories - 1,226

Amount and Percentages of Calories -
Protein - 78.1 g (25.5% of cals)
Fat - 93 g (68.3% of cals)
Carbs - 20.3 g (6.6% of cals)
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I started NK on the 13th, weighed on the 19th, and was down 6.5 pounds. I've never lost that much in a week before no matter how hard I've tried. I won't look for that kind of loss this week, but hope maybe a couple pounds. I've added BPC to my menu plans but use decaf coffee. I also made some FBs and have one every couple days if I'm running low on fat.

First Week Averages -

Calories - 1,226

Amount and Percentages of Calories -
Protein - 78.1 g (25.5% of cals)
Fat - 93 g (68.3% of cals)
Carbs - 20.3 g (6.6% of cals)
Looking good!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Great job, Ice.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Oooh....I overdid it for dinner. I cooked a pound of bacon in the oven and managed to eat 3/4 of it. Sheesh...guess I'm going to find out if that much protein in one sitting will kick me out of ketosis.

Rebecca, I'm sorry you had such a rough weekend with your sister. Do you think she was upset by being in different surroundings?

Lowcarbella, Dr. Phinney's comment that 0.8 g protein/kg being too little applies overall, not just to athletes. Athletes would need a higher protein level - more like 1.2-1.3 g/kg, depending on their energy output. I'm going with 1 gram/kg ideal body weight because I'm a slug. Using that information, I just redid my numbers and discovered I've been a little high on both protein and carbs. Might explain my slow loss this month.
MerryKate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Rebecca, I'm sorry you had such a rough weekend with your sister. Do you think she was upset by being in different surroundings?
Thanks for your concern. I'm sad to say that she is like that at her own home, too.

We ended up having a good half-day on Saturday, and nightmarish all day Sunday and a wonderful Monday. I gave her back to her husband at 4 pm today.

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 10-21-2013 at 09:52 PM..
Old 10-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kymmiek
Stats: 147/144/121
Start Date: Oct 2013
Hi all!!

I just started LCHF, am on my third day! Never heard of it here before last week, and am really pleased to have found out about the diet. Already lost 3lb! Got a couple of people at work to try it as well, and had a couple of people look at me as if I was crazy when I said high fat!!!!! No-one here has heard of it at all!!

So im using fitness pal, and after reading your posts, I think I will now start to reduce my protein. I've been doing 10% carbs or less, 60 to 70% fat and 20 to 30% protein. I think I worked it out at about 60 grams of protein, and a lot of butter!! so I'll keep checking in and any advice for a newbie will be greatly appreciated!!
kymmiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #57
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I have had my Alzheimer's sister with me at my house since Saturday at noon. She will be here until late this afternoon. Usually I travel 5 hours (round trip) to spend every other weekend at her house, but we decided to change it up this time.

It was a brutal visit, because she cried at the top of her lungs literally all day long.

It is so stressful caring for her that I usually stop caring about what I eat and eat bad things and carbs. With her at my house, I had more control and ate right on Saturday and most of the day Sunday. Last night I ate just the toppings from many slices of carryout pizza, and four bites of ice cream. Not too bad, but I know that it was totally stress eating, because I was full and just kept eating to try to sooth myself. My father was here visiting my sister, and he was upset over her condition, so the day was stressful on many levels. Especially since he is 84 and starting to slip mentally. Having the two of them together is not good.

Today, I am back on track and tracking. I see no reason why I should stray from my path.

Needless to say, I will NOT be getting on the scale today.
Rebecca, I am so sorry you have this very difficult situation to deal with. It sounds stressful to the max..Not to mention how emotionally painful it must be to witness your sister become so ill. I don't know that I could do it.

Have you tried slipping her some coconut oil or is it just too far gone to think that may have any impact?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymmiek View Post
Hi all!!

I just started LCHF, am on my third day! Never heard of it here before last week, and am really pleased to have found out about the diet. Already lost 3lb! Got a couple of people at work to try it as well, and had a couple of people look at me as if I was crazy when I said high fat!!!!! No-one here has heard of it at all!!

So im using fitness pal, and after reading your posts, I think I will now start to reduce my protein. I've been doing 10% carbs or less, 60 to 70% fat and 20 to 30% protein. I think I worked it out at about 60 grams of protein, and a lot of butter!! so I'll keep checking in and any advice for a newbie will be greatly appreciated!!
Welcome!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Rebecca, I am so sorry you have this very difficult situation to deal with. It sounds stressful to the max..Not to mention how emotionally painful it must be to witness your sister become so ill. I don't know that I could do it.

Have you tried slipping her some coconut oil or is it just too far gone to think that may have any impact?
I got her taking coconut oil over a year ago, but her family is not supportive and the only time she eats any is if I am there.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 10-22-2013 at 06:35 AM..