Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: orbecky
Stats: 215/202.0/150
WOE: Fat Fast / NK
Start Date: September 2013
At what level should ketones stay?

Hi, I'm new to NK, but am doing a fat fast to kick start my metabolism, which seemed to be non-existent after several months of lc dieting.
I received my ketone meter last week, and checked my ketones after a couple of days into the fat fast - 0.8.
I figured it would take me a while to reach the 2.0 level I read about in the Dana Carpender Fat Fast Recipes book because of my sluggish metabolism, so I kept on fat fasting, figuring I would stop when I reached 2.0.
I decided to test again after 7 days of fat fasting. My reading is 3.5! I didn't intend to go this high, but I'm wondering what the optimal level is? 2.0 or up to 3.0 like the Fat Fast book talks about?
I obviously want to add in a few more carbs and protein. I've been fat fasting at 85-88/10-12/5ish...and right now I feel great and have plenty of energy. I sleep better, and feel more refreshed when I awaken. I haven't noticed any downside to the fat fast. Once you get used to the small feedings, you don't get as hungry, so not a problem to continue those. And I have lost almost 10 pounds, so that's a big plus for me! And for the first time my BS is 80. Before the fat fast, I was lucky to get it down to 100!
What do you all feel is the optimal level to maintain so that I continue to lose weight in NK?
Please sound off your opinions and experience to me.
Thanks!

Last edited by orbecky; 10-01-2013 at 10:32 PM..
orbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I don't think there is any rule to it. You will burn more fat if your diet is high in fat, but you will also burn more fat if you are eating below your daily requirement. Ie. the number of calories you need. I guess it depends on what your goals are. In your case, your goal is to burn off your excess body fat so you would want to keep your ketones as high as possible so that you burn off this fat and also stop from overeating and storing more. There is an upper limit and I think it is 5, but that probably doesn't happen for normal people. I think that is in the case of diabetics. Do you have diabetes? You would have to worry if you have been diagnosed with diabetes. This I am going on from memory, it is called ketoacidosis. You might want to google that and just read a bit about it.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
If you're trying to follow Phinney and Volek, and their recommendations for Nutritional Ketosis, they recommend at least 0.5. There's not really an upper limit, but anything over 0.5 (in the morning!) means you're in the butter zone.

I have had readings from 0.6 to 2.xx, I don't real care as long as it's about 0.5. But I don't do fat fasting, so it makes sense your numbers are higher.

Last edited by Ntombi; 10-02-2013 at 01:57 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
What Ntombi said....that's my take on it all.

Mine tend to be between 1-2, I've never gone higher than 2.2 I believe. And even after a carby dinner, I've gone down to 0.7.

I don't think I could get motivated enough to do a fat fast.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome and congrats on your success so far! Isn't ketosis the best!?

My ketones have been as high as 3.3 but never lower than .9 and they are generally in the range of about 2. These are fasting, first thing in the morning, readings.

I would not concern myself with calories. They are a crude method of measuring and as we all know it is not about calories in/ calories out. It is all to do with the type of food and the impact on the body. Pay attention to hunger and satiation signals and you will do great. Counting calories only serves to mess up things on n.k. in my opinion.

Read and post often!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

thanks for your support!

I needed your replies - didn't actually feel alone, but I'm navigating new waters, and am not too sure of doing this right, although it feels right!
I'm reading a lot of posts in here, and checking out recipes, etc.
I just hope I'm on the right path finally - tired of not losing with other diets! This diet has a lot of promise, and I plan to stick with it.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Punkin,
I have had abnormal FBS, but not ever had the doctor say I have diabetes. I have been managing the BS with diet for years, though. My A1C has always been in the normal range because I manage it. I just carry around this extra weight, and the hypothyroid doesn't help, either. So, I am HAPPY to find something that will help me lose. I did Atkins probably 15 years or more ago, and would always get stuck, and then end up giving up. I vaguely remember his book talking about the fat fast, but never really considered it a way to lose weight with, mostly because I moved on to the Zone diet, and away from super low carb.
So, until a couple of weeks ago, I hadn't known that the fat fast is actually in practice. I like it, like the food, and like the small feedings.
Thanks!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:51 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
From what I have read there is no advantage to being in Ketosis above 3.0 mmol/L.
I started Atkins (second time round after 10 years) in June '13 and lost weight rapidly, 31 lbs until the end of Sept..
I just started using my BS/K Meter and am fasted ketones are 0.4 mmol/L.
BS levels are around the 5's fasted as well as after meals.

I'm toying with the idea of Dana's FF to get into deeper Ketosis. So I'd be interested to find out your experience with this.
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

FF

I am finding that the fat fast has taken away my desire to overeat. I think because it is pretty low in calories, but high in fat helps curb the appetite tremendously. And so that has taken care of the excess volume I was eating. The recipes in Dana's book are amazing, and I know that I'll be eating them beyond fat fasting! The shirataki noodle recipes - yum!
Since I have lost a good amount of weight in the last 2 weeks, I have to say I recommend the fat fast. I'm down 13 pounds! It's very motivating, even though I know the weight loss will slow down. But the quick start helps a lot, no doubt about it!

Last edited by orbecky; 10-04-2013 at 06:00 AM..
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
I'm on Day 2 FF today and it's going great so far
I'll definitely do Day 3 tomorrow but want to wait and see how i'll feel by tomorrow night before deciding wether to go the five days

I'll be doing a week strict Atkins Induction afterward as well as using Dana Carpenders recipes throughout the day with a 'proper meal' for dinner, then slowly up my carbs to see how far I can push it
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote