Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsjuliekelly
Stats: 263/163/133
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 11/2001 NK 9/2013
It really seems only fat fasting will work for me...

I was fat fasting for about six days and losing consistently after several months of stall. I was starting to think I needed to add at least a bit of protein so I have been staying under 50 grams of protein and around 130 grams of fat with less than 15 grams of carbs. The carbs are from leafy greens.

It is so frustrating because since adding back in the protein I am up two pounds.

It seems like the only thing that works is for me to fat fast.

My question is, am I losing lean body mass when I am fat fasting??? I don't want to mess up my metabolism...

Anybody else in this same boat????

Thanks for any feedback.

Feeling frustrated

Julie
mrsjuliekelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It is not recommended to fat fast longer than 5 days due to the potential loss of lean muscle mass. The purpose of the f.f. is to kick start ketosis. It is not a long term weight loss stradegy.

According to Phinney, if you are not losing on your well formulated woe (as you describe), you need to start cutting back on the fat. The idea is that once you have become a fat burner (through ketosis), you want the body to start burning it's fat stores rather than dietary fat.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for the reply. It seems like my body likes being at 163. I can see in the mirror that I have plenty of extra calories stored around my mid-section.

So maybe I should shoot for 40 - 50 grams of protein and lower my fat grams from 140 grams to more like 95 grams???
Old 09-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
You lost quite a lot of weight, congratulations!

Your body probably IS happy right now at 163. I don't know how long you've been at 163, but just letting your body become comfortable there sure isn't going to hurt.

You need the protein, so eat the amount you've determined you need. You're body should start to release again.

We're all trying to learn the ins and out of these diets and the whys and etc. It's quite confusing.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I have been at 165 - 167 for about two months. I finally saw a release at my first attempt at fat fasting. I lost the majority of my weight using traditional lc many years ago. It no longer seems to be effective.

I am trying not to get discouraged. I weigh every day mostly for the purpose of determining if what I am doing is helping or hurting.

In the past I could always lose fairly effectively just doing lc. I never had to watch my protein intake. Now it seems I can maintain that way but not lose.

I don't want to fat fast permanently, but darn is really gets old never having any potluck dinners with my coworkers. Never having any cake or ice cream at all the birthday parties we go to. Never having alcoholic drinks with my friends on girls night out. All of this and still no weight loss. What does it take????

I want to be able to feel comfortable in a bathing suit again. Not a bikini mind you, just a one piece bathing suit. I am determined to get to 135 come hell or high water. Just wish I could figure out what will work. I will stick to it once I figure it out.

Thanks for reading,
Julie
Old 09-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: colamalu
Stats: 5'6" 188/182/135
Start Date: NK Restart July 2014
Have you tried fat fasting for five days a week, and two days an Atkins Induction Type woe?
colamalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colamalu View Post
Have you tried fat fasting for five days a week, and two days an Atkins Induction Type woe?
No, I haven't tried that. But it may be the next attempt. Has that worked for you?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: colamalu
Stats: 5'6" 188/182/135
Start Date: NK Restart July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjuliekelly View Post
No, I haven't tried that. But it may be the next attempt. Has that worked for you?
I haven't tried it, but I think (don't quote me) I read somewhere about a dietitian who has her clients do it. I do lose when I can stick to a fat fast, so I might try it soon.
colamalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I hear you Julie about that midsection. I am losing now, but I guessing I will hit a stall before long too. How old are you? How tall? I don't have any great ideas, as I am still such a learner, just curious.

I am wondering if you do body toning exercises, stretches and such? Weights? I am thinking of adding more of that to add more definition to parts of my body. It may or may not jump start weight loss, but might make me feel better about my bod.

Forgive me for parsing your word, but I am thinking you can surely do potlucks but may not be able to eat everything. You could have a drink now and them (if you are not a problem drinker, as I tend to be). Not sure what do say about the cake and ice cream . . there are some low carb versions but easier for me just to not go there.

I don't want to fat fast permanently, but darn is really gets old never having any potluck dinners with my coworkers. Never having any cake or ice cream at all the birthday parties we go to. Never having alcoholic drinks with my friends on girls night out. All of this and still no weight loss. What does it take????

Last edited by Patience; 09-28-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Bella,

You are right. I can go to potlucks as long as I bring the appropriate dishes myself. It just gets old eating differently than seemingly everyone else around me when I am not getting results. Although, I am learning that food is not reward and I need to think of it as fuel for me to live rather than a deserving reward for ***insert stressful event here.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I hear you! I skip events sometimes just because it is so much easier.
You've done so well, though, you don't want to lose that over a little stall.
Maybe just take it as a time of reflection and as PP said, let you body sit with it for a while.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
It is frustrating to diet and not get results. I started NK with a 3 day fat fast and dropped to 125. Since adding calories and protein, I have stalled around 128-131 for 3 months.

The gain is around my midsection. I think it is all the fat - 150-200g/day.

I am trying to reign in the calories from 2000/day to 1200 and decrease the fat to 100g/day. Carbs remain at 50g.

I may try a fat fast to drop but I am just am so tired of thinking about all of this macro stuff all the time.

Good luck, keep us posted...
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: spareld
Stats: 5'4 cw:142/gw:115
WOE: Keto/low carb
Start Date: August 26, 2013
are you eating often? that may be the problem
spareld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
Quote:
I have been at 165 - 167 for about two months. I finally saw a release at my first attempt at fat fasting. I lost the majority of my weight using traditional lc many years ago. It no longer seems to be effective.

I am trying not to get discouraged. I weigh every day mostly for the purpose of determining if what I am doing is helping or hurting.

In the past I could always lose fairly effectively just doing lc. I never had to watch my protein intake. Now it seems I can maintain that way but not lose.

I want to be able to feel comfortable in a bathing suit again. Not a bikini mind you, just a one piece bathing suit. I am determined to get to 135 come hell or high water. Just wish I could figure out what will work. I will stick to it once I figure it out.

Thanks for reading,
Julie
I have just read 'Jenny Ruhl's Diet 101'. It takes a little persistence to read it cover to cover, but it's well worth the effort. I think you might just find the answer to your questions.

How do you manage to keep your protein so low? I have set my macros at 30g carbs, 60g pro, 114g fat and I have to be very mindful to keep to my protein limit, although the carbs pose no problems at all. My weightloss was pretty impressive to start with but has slowed right down.

What I have learned is that we need to work out our own individual protein needs. We also have to create a calorie deficit, even on a KD the body burns dietary fat first! Next the best way of working out our carb tolerance is to use a blood glucose meter (see Jenny Ruhl).

I can see how and why her recommendations would work, making LC / KD a truly long term success.

Last edited by Checkoutchick; 09-28-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: laniereed
Stats: 129/127/118
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: 12/2012
I think its time to get the ketone meter out also..... but the thought of pricking my fingers deters me.... any thoughts on how to make that process less painful? Jimmy Moore tests 2xs a day.
laniereed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Have you pricked your finger in the past? Did you find it that painful? I have done as many as 6 times per day, and it doesn't really hurt that much.

But when I didn't do it for several months, I was scared to start again, for fear it would hurt. I just went ahead and did it and the fear went away. It still hurts a tiny bit, but it is minimal.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by laniereed View Post
I think its time to get the ketone meter out also..... but the thought of pricking my fingers deters me.... any thoughts on how to make that process less painful? Jimmy Moore tests 2xs a day.
It doesn't bother me one bit. Which "pricker" do you have? I have mine set at a medium setting, and most often use my ring finger, or next my middle finger.

But some people are afraid of needles, it totally freaks my husband out.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:

Thanks for reading,
Julie
I thought that I would put my 2 cents worth in. What is working for me, is to have my protein foods at breakfast and lunch. I don't eat vegetables at all now. Well maybe once in a while, but I always gain when I do. I also have plenty of fat at each meal. I have given up most of my sweeteners. I only have 1 drop in my first cup of coffee in the morning. I have just plain cream in the rest of my coffee through the day. I eat mostly fat at dinner usually in the form of a couple of oz of cream cheese. I do not eat after 6 at night and usually not after 5. My weight loss has picked up eating this way. I was only losing about 2 pounds a month, but the last month, I lost 4 pounds while eating this way. I also have not been hungry at all eating this way. I also only eat less than 50 grams of protein a day which is about 6 to 7 oz. Maybe this will help you. I am post menopausal so losing is definitely harder than when I was in my 30's and 40's.
Carolyn

Last edited by lovetoknit; 10-02-2013 at 08:37 PM..
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
I thought that I would put my 2 cents worth in. What is working for me, is to have my protein foods at breakfast and lunch. I don't eat vegetables at all now. Well maybe once in a while, but I always gain when I do. I also have plenty of fat at each meal. I have given up most of my sweeteners. I only have 1 drop in my first cup of coffee in the morning. I have just plain cream in the rest of my coffee through the day. I eat mostly fat at dinner usually in the form of a couple of oz of cream cheese. I do not eat after 6 at night and usually not after 5. My weight loss has picked up eating this way. I was only losing about 2 pounds a month, but the last month, I lost 4 pounds while eating this way. I also have not been hungry at all eating this way. I also only eat less than 50 grams of protein a day which is about 6 to 7 oz. Maybe this will help you. I am post menopausal so losing is definitely harder than when I was in my 30's and 40's.
Carolyn
Carolyn - do you just eat the cream cheese plain at night? Thanks, Jenna
Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
It is not recommended to fat fast longer than 5 days due to the potential loss of lean muscle mass. The purpose of the f.f. is to kick start ketosis. It is not a long term weight loss stradegy.

According to Phinney, if you are not losing on your well formulated woe (as you describe), you need to start cutting back on the fat. The idea is that once you have become a fat burner (through ketosis), you want the body to start burning it's fat stores rather than dietary fat.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennafun View Post
Carolyn - do you just eat the cream cheese plain at night? Thanks, Jenna
Not Carolyn, but I have done whole fat fasts eating nothing but straight cream cheese.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
I am in the same boat as OP.I can lose on fat fasts/modified fat fasts but as soon as I up carbs or protein or calories,I stop losing.If I up protein and gain,then how can I say that my body needs that much protein since its being converted to fat for storage.
however ,after struggling for long,I have decided to do fat fast every two weeks or so to bring the weight down,then go into maintenance by LCHF.and repeat until goal.Never was successful before,but armed with lots of info from lots of LCHF sites,I may just do that.
colamalu,sorry I couldn't find your name,do you have any memory where you saw that dietician whom you mentioned.Just would like to read about others experiences
180:
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
I was fat fasting for about six days and losing consistently after several months of stall. I was starting to think I needed to add at least a bit of protein so I have been staying under 50 grams of protein and around 130 grams of fat with less than 15 grams of carbs. The carbs are from leafy greens.

It is so frustrating because since adding back in the protein I am up two pounds.

It seems like the only thing that works is for me to fat fast.

My question is, am I losing lean body mass when I am fat fasting??? I don't want to mess up my metabolism...

Anybody else in this same boat????

Thanks for any feedback.

Feeling frustrated

Julie
I think that when you add in greens and protein, you should reduce your fat. I don't eat vegetables very often. When I do, I gain. I eat less than 50 grams of protein and probably less than 120 grams of fat. I don't know for sure, because I use satiety as my guide. My carbs are usually in the form of dairy carbs and I usually stay under 10 grams. I also keep a running total in my head for calories. I usually stay under 1400 calories a day.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote