Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsjuliekelly
Stats: 263/163/133
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 11/2001 NK 9/2013
Are once a week refeeds really necessary to reset leptin sensitivity?

Hi all. I am a lurker who finally decided to post. I have been doing nutritional ketosis for about two weeks. I was reading about once a week refeeds using sweet potatoes or white rice to help reset leptin sensitivity.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this type of a reefed and if you feel this is important or not. I do not plan on a splurge day of refined sugar.

Will a moderate carb reefed be useful for me or will it just set me back by a about a week?

I have been lc for several months, but was stalled for about the last two. Now that I have extremely lowered my protein intake to NK levels I am finally losing.

Thanks for any comment or feedback. I am anxious to know what you all think about one refeed day a week.
mrsjuliekelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I do not and would not. For me, being keto-adapted is important, for health and fat burning, so I don't intentionally go out of ketosis very often.

I've given myself permission to eat one off plan meal twice or thrice per year, but I have to think hard about doing it, and so far since my January restart, nothing has been worth not being keto-adapted, so I haven't eaten off plan once.

As far as leptin resets, I honestly don't believe kicking yourself out of ketosis weekly, and then spending a day or two getting back in, is worth it. But I'm not sure I buy the theory in the first place, so take that into account.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Honestly. I think they are a myth to help explain stalls. I would just start counting calories and weighing and measuring. I remember when I first started low carb, I instantly dropped 3 - 5lbs in the first couple of weeks and then held at the same weight for 3 months even though I was undereating. I thought I wasn't losing. I then had a dexa scan and it turned out that I had lost 4.4 lbs of body fat even though my weight was the same. For me that is a lot because I don't have a lot to lose. I then upped my calories (because I am not trying to lose weight). I am still at the same weight and it has been almost a year! Although I don't think it is possible that my body fat level is the same, I haven't had a dexa scan since July so I don't know. But my point is that when you are stalled it most likely has nothing to do with changes in body fat levels.

What I would do in your case is forget about what I think is a myth "leptin" reset. I agree with Ntombi, stay low carb and keep with the plan. I would add one thing though and that is to count calories. If you undereat and you are good at calorie counting and tracking, you will lose the body fat no matter what the scale says. If you eat exactly what your daily requirements are (ie. calorie intake) then you will maintain your current level of body fat. I assume you don't want to gain weight but if you do you would have to eat more. I have managed to increase my bodyfat level even though my weight on the scale stayed the same, so it is possible to gain and still show the same numbers on the scale. I find the only real way is to use math. Simple calorie counting and being accurate. It is really the only way to make your gains. Although like Ntombi said, low carb sure does make it easier to stay on plan.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think we are way too early in leptin research to have any real handle on this whole thing. No question it's important, but more complicated than this leptin reset theory implies.

if you have any metabolic syndrome, the extra carbs are bad, and if you have a carb addiction, heaven help you if you start down this slippery slope once a week!

some people can do that sort of thing, many, like me, suddenly find it takes more than we can muster not to start eating carbs again.

so clearly, I think it's a bad idea. but some think it works, obviously.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I was thinking about this, too, but I am afraid of the consequences of raising my blood glucose into dangerous ranges by attempting it.

For me, eating a high carb meal now and then does not cause cravings (slippery slope-wise), but it does raise my blood glucose.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I agree with Ntombi, I haven't been out of Ketosis, or had any off plan meals, since February, and I just don't think it would be worth it. It can take you several days to get back into Ketosis, so if you're doing it once a week, it seems to me like too much time would be wasted each week trying to get back into ketosis.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am thinking about having a sweet potato or something like that. I have not been out of ketosis for at least 1.5 yrs and maybe a lot longer. The reason for doing so is to see if it can help me with my very stubborn weight.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ncbookseller
Stats: 164/160.5/137
WOE: NK
Start Date: 01/04/2014
Interesting concept. There are many hormones involved in metabolism (not just insulin and leptin), and I believe dieting, especially low calorie dieting, must be having effects on levels and sensitivities to all of them. If you decide to do the re-feed, I am very interested in learning your results.
ncbookseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Julie, from what I've read and experienced my self, leptin sensitivity is a really thing. What I read on Maria's sight though is that it's an over feeding meal, on legal foods. Not adding bad carbs backs. That IMHO is self defeating the like other posters have said. But one meal a week where maybe you add a 'legal' dessert or something, that I can see..
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Julie, from what I've read and experienced my self, leptin sensitivity is a really thing. What I read on Maria's sight though is that it's an over feeding meal, on legal foods. Not adding bad carbs backs. That IMHO is self defeating the like other posters have said. But one meal a week where maybe you add a 'legal' dessert or something, that I can see..
I do this, I usually have one higher calorie day a week but not higher carb. I do it for my thyroid, but if it's good for leptin sensitivity too, even better.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I do this, I usually have one higher calorie day a week but not higher carb. I do it for my thyroid, but if it's good for leptin sensitivity too, even better.
How do you know that it is good for your thyroid and leptin?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
How do you know that it is good for your thyroid and leptin?
I don't know that it's good for leptin sensitivity; I inferred that from this thread. I believe I read about the thyroid info on the Maria Health blog. My thyroid levels (TSH, free T3, free T4) are stable at the moment, so the way I am eating is at least not adversely affecting my thyroid, though I wouldn't say it is helping it either.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I don't know a lot about leptin exactly, but I do believe that long periods of under eating cause a down-regulation of metabolism. There must be a mechanism for doing that.

I have read one way is via the thyroid, which makes perfect sense since if your thyroid hormones are low one of the main symptoms is weight gain- often after a period of dieting which HAD been enabling you to lose weight.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Sounds like The Carb Nite Solution...eating high carb for 6 hours once a week, but the carbs have to be the type that push insulin so rice, potatoes, bread, cheesecake, cereal, etc. 'Legal' foods won't do as they might not raise the insulin levels and now you're just eating excess calories. Don't shoot the messenger...just repeating what I read in the book.

Even if it weren't for the fact that I'm a diabetic and would probably go into a coma from flooding my system with several hundred carbs, I'd be very afraid it would set me off for a carb binge.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I tried doing that and it raised my blood sugar into dangerous ranges. Plus, it made me want to overeat.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Sounds like The Carb Nite Solution...eating high carb for 6 hours once a week, but the carbs have to be the type that push insulin so rice, potatoes, bread, cheesecake, cereal, etc. 'Legal' foods won't do as they might not raise the insulin levels and now you're just eating excess calories. Don't shoot the messenger...just repeating what I read in the book.

Even if it weren't for the fact that I'm a diabetic and would probably go into a coma from flooding my system with several hundred carbs, I'd be very afraid it would set me off for a carb binge.
I've been able to eat more carbs and still be under the ~50 g, but only 1 meal and I sure wouldn't go 6 hours. I'm still experimenting with this concept, but it has to be done at a very low level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I tried doing that and it raised my blood sugar into dangerous ranges. Plus, it made me want to overeat.
My blood sugar has gone up much to high a few times, and then stayed too high for a few days. I'm getting better though and not eating as much (carbwise.) Luckily one meal has not made me want to overeat the next day.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote