Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   If we cut out veggies what are we missing? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/813004-if-we-cut-out-veggies-what-we-missing.html)

Punkin 09-27-2013 07:45 AM

If we cut out veggies what are we missing?

Because I am low carb, I don't really have room for the veggies in my diet. I find the calories are mostly coming from the carbs anyways? Are we missing anything important if we cut them out almost entirely?

ravenrose 09-27-2013 09:39 AM

why don't you have room for the veggie carbs? where are your carbs coming from? are you counting net or total carbs? do you find you need to cut carbs to a very low level like 5 to lose?

some people think fiber is not important, but most think it's a key element of a healthy diet. up to you which way you decide, but that's a key question.

and of course many of the minerals and vitamins are more prevalent in vegetables than meat and dairy, probably including thousands of trace elements that are not included when you take supplements.

normally the biggest factor is the variety it allows in your diet though. over years most of us find it easier to stick with a plan that includes some vegetables.

good luck!

clackley 09-27-2013 09:58 AM

Pesticides & g.mo.s.;)

Punkin 09-27-2013 11:51 AM

My carbs come from dairy, avocodos, nuts and seeds, eggs, and some veggies but I don't eat them everyday. I usually count fresh herbs and the flavour types as carbs such as garlic, ginger onions etc. I sometimes eat lettuce but not everyday.

cfine 09-27-2013 01:10 PM

I just got finished reading Trick and Treat. He addresses the whole "we need veggies everyday" concept. I'm not saying that we don't need a little on a weekly basis, but according to the studies, veggies a couple of times per week is enough to get the vitamins we need from them.

Ntombi 09-27-2013 01:18 PM

Didn't we have this conversation recently? I thought you asked this before, punkin. :confused:

Yep, I found it, still on the first page: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nu...egetables.html

Are you asking a different question now, or did you need more reassurance or what?

Punkin 09-27-2013 02:43 PM

Well thankyou. But this time I am asking specifically what we are missing if we cut them out. I am looking for what people about the topic since there is a lot of advocating of fresh vegetables and buying them from local farmers where I live. People think I am strange that I don't eat vegetables. Remember my background? I guess I just need more specific details.

AnnetteW 09-27-2013 03:43 PM

Dr. Bernstein says we should eat veggies because there might be yet unknown phytonutrients in them.

Do remember, every year something new is discovered.

I eat my veggies and enjoy them. They don't have that many carbs.

speds 10-07-2013 02:22 PM

Also, while the LCHF diet is awesome, it really doesn't have much fiber if you eliminate fibrous carbs. I eat the veggies for the fiber as well as the nutrients. I know people "can live" without them so it's probably a matter of choice but I think they are a key part of the nutrient chain.

RebeccaLatham 10-09-2013 01:14 PM

I eat veggies because I like them and I think they will not hurt me. But I do not think that fiber is healthy in any way or that we need it for nutrition.

Aomiel 10-17-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16621299)
Pesticides & g.mo.s.;)

:hyst:

snowangel9 10-17-2013 11:27 AM

Punkin, I don't think we miss anything. I seriously doubt our ancestors ran around with pockets full of vegetables. If you found, it eat but if not... I read somewhere that tubers and such were used in famine situations. i.e., no meat...

To me it really makes sense to eat seasonally as much as you can. I doubt they 'canned' much either. And, what clackley said. The only ones I eat are organic...

ncbookseller 10-17-2013 11:45 AM

Maybe a bit off topic, but I thought you all might enjoy...

On a podcast I recently listened to, grains and beans were referred to as "slave foods." In a historical context, beans and grains were available year-round to feed slaves in ancient civilizations.

Not sure how much this applies to other plant foods, but if your diet is primarily made up of high-carb foods, it take on a new meaning.:D