Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Ketosis and UTI Symptoms (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/812838-ketosis-uti-symptoms.html)

TammyF711 09-24-2013 08:25 AM

Ketosis and UTI Symptoms

Hi all! I've been doing NK for 15 days now and off and on I've had feelings as if I have a UTI. I think I drink plenty of water as its the only beverage I do drink other than 2 cups of coffee in the morning. Has anyone else experienced this feeling? Thanks.:help:

~Tammy

Jennafun 09-24-2013 04:58 PM

Hi Tammy

When I first started I felt like I needed to go all the time~ glycogen dump.
If you have a fever or burning or lower back pain, I would call your MD.
Feel better :)

AnnetteW 09-24-2013 06:08 PM

Tammy, I haven't had that problem.

Glycogen dump is an interesting idea.

Did you try an internet search on low carb and UTI?

Keep drink a lot either way, and go to doc if necessary. Good luck.

stawalke 09-24-2013 06:36 PM

When I first started NK I had to get up in the middle of the night for almost two weeks to use the restroom. I figured it was just my body getting rid of the water weight. I never had any other symptoms of a UTI though. And the nightly trips to the restroom eventually stopped.

Acor 09-27-2013 01:32 AM

It's so funny you posted this, because I've been noticing the same thing and was thinking about asking on the board. It's only first thing in the morning when I wake up - I go to the bathroom, and have that UTI feeling like I still need to go. Always gone within an hour or 2, and then it's right back again the next morning. Sometimes it's so annoying that I take a couple of the OTC UTI pills to get rid of it more quickly.

tntne3 09-27-2013 02:48 AM

It might be interstitial cystitis. It feels just like a UTI but no infection. It's just an inflammation or irritation of the bladder lining.

TammyF711 09-27-2013 11:27 AM

Thanks everyone. I have the feeling off and on. What causes the interstitial cystitis? TIA

Acor 09-27-2013 11:34 AM

I just read up on that this morning after tntne3 posted about it. It seems that doctor's aren't sure what exactly causes it, and there doesn't seem to be a "cure" for it either. Urology Care Foundation - Urology A-Z - Interstitial Cystitis

tntne3 09-28-2013 03:52 AM

I had interstitial cystitis for a couple of years off and on, and found that a little baking soda dissolved in water made it go away pretty quickly. I must have read about it on the internet somewhere. I found that the baking soda made the attack go away, but that it would always come back later.

So I started juicing kale and other veggies, tried to make my body more "alkaline". And ACV. I must have read about that on the internet too. I consumed lots of veggies and juice (no fruit) for a few months. Anyway, I haven't had any more bouts with it in a couple of years, so the juicing must have helped!

Acor 10-01-2013 05:56 AM

Thanks for the tips, tntne3! I'll add some baking soda to the shopping list.

TammyF711 10-01-2013 06:28 AM

Thanks so much!