Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bryonykate
Exercise on keto

Hi everyone

I will be starting a keto based diet from next monday(was supposed to start yesterday but come down with a horrible flu bug.) I was just wondering how much exercise you have found is necessary for significant results? I currently weight 148Ibs and want to get to around 120. At the moment I eat a low fat diet with an even fat/carb split. I workout for 1.5 hours - 2 hours 5 x a week and my results are very slow. I saw one girl have incredible success and she said she barey worked out at all to begin with and now does one hour or cardio 2-3times a week. I'm not saying I want to use this diet as an excuse to be lazy! I actually find daily workouts are a bit of a stress reliever. But do you think I could get away with 1hr cardio and maybe 15-20minutes stretching and weights rather than pushing it to two hours most days?
Bryonykate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I don't do any cardio, just weight lifting/strength training for about 30 minutes a day. On keto low intensity exercise is probably best because it burns mostly fat. You can do strength training or weight lifting but not long sessions, it would probably aggravate the diet restrictions. Carbs ensure a more speedy recovery, that is why they are so important to athletes.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Studies show that exercise is good for you, but it doesn't actually add much to weight loss efforts.

Because of medical issues, I'm not allowed to exercise right now, and haven't been for over a year. I've lost close to sixty pounds since January.

When I do exercise, I do high intensity strength training a few times per week for about 30-45 at a time. Strength training is what works for me, because doing it correctly, along with a good high fat, moderate protein, very low carb diet, helps me build or maintain my muscle mass as I lose fat. Plus, I have no interest in spending hours per day working out. None.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I don't do any cardio, just weight lifting/strength training for about 30 minutes a day. On keto low intensity exercise is probably best because it burns mostly fat. You can do strength training or weight lifting but not long sessions, it would probably aggravate the diet restrictions. Carbs ensure a more speedy recovery, that is why they are so important to athletes.
That has been proven not to be true. Someone who is keto-adapted has no trouble with endurance. When I was keto-adapted and exercising, I had no need to limit my workout because of endurance or hitting the wall. Before I switched to strength training only, I regularly did high intensity cardio without a problem.

It's the people who aren't keto-adapted who can run into trouble. People who are constantly going out of ketosis don't give their body time to get fully into fat burning mode, which is what leads to all the myths about needing carbs to exercise. There are world class endurance athletes who remain in ketosis. If you haven't read The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, it's a good reference for these issues.

Last edited by Ntombi; 09-24-2013 at 03:43 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bryonykate
I just realised I said low fat and even fat/carb split. I meant to say even protein/carb split! Hope the post still made sense
Bryonykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryonykate View Post
Hi everyone

I will be starting a keto based diet from next monday...how much exercise you have found is necessary for significant results?
None - no exercise is needed to lose weight on nutritional ketosis. I lost 35 lbs. without exercising because I had medical issues that really limited me at first. Exercise is something you do for cardio health, or just to feel good, but it's not necessary.

As Ntombi mentioned, being ketoadapted gives you access to an unlimited supply of energy – whatever fat is stored in your body. When I ate a standard American diet, I'd bonk out after 1/2 hour of cycling. Now I can power through hills that used to wipe me out, and keep on going. The difference is amazing. Once you get into ketosis, stay there - carb cycling will not do you any favors.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Joe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis / Zero Carb
With respect to whether exercise is necessary, there is a lot of individual variability based on how much weight you have to lose, and how much metabolic damage you've accumulated. I started at 286, and got down to 180 easily enough (actually hit 170, but that wasn't very long), and slowly drifted up to 190-195 as my body got more efficient with using fat and ketones as a fuel source.

I'm 5'9, and am probably ideal at around 165, so do not naturally gravitate towards what I see as optimal just eating no carbs. It wasn't that I was too muscular, as I still had a large belly.

I added in exercise about 6 weeks ago, and was a bit more serious about a month ago. That's had a positive impact on body shape, as I can wear some medium-sized shirts now.

For energy, for extreme endurance I can believe that ketosis is better. There have been some interesting results with using NK for ultramarathoners with promising results. I'm not convinced that it's better for brief bursts of maximal effort, such as weight lifting.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but i have a quick question, what do you think of something like 30 DAy shred? Its half an hour keeps your heart rate up but only because you are moving constantly between strength and short bursts of cardio?

I like (by which I mean I loathe it but it works) doing 30ds because its short and i prefer strength training. Its been a few months since i've done any exercise and plan to get back on the wagon but i keep reading stuff that says nk is terrible for weight lifting or horrible for cardio enthusiasts.

Ntombi are you expecting to make any muscle gains? Joe have you tried short bursts. How did you find it? I understood that nk was muscle sparing, or have i got that wrong? So even if you dont exercise you should lose minimal muscle, anyone got any figures for what % would be muscle loss?

I'm not expecting it to neccessarily increase weight loss but i do think a bit of exercise is good for shaping up. Any views on this will be much appreciated!!
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote