Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TammyF711
Newbie here..just introducing myself

Hi all!
I wanted to introduce myself. I'm so happy to have found this forum as I still have a lot to learn about this way of eating. I'm 46 years old and have been struggling to get the weight off I gained from quitting smoking and then 8 months of antibiotics as well as steroids thrown in there several times. I gained a total of 77 pounds. I was able to lose 24 pounds but it took me 9 months! That was through calorie counting and mildly exercising. I'm a very clean eater. We don't do processed food. I buy grass fed beef, pastured chicken and eggs from pastured chickens. I don't drink soda either. Most people that ate that way would lose weight. My body is different and I knew I HAD to do something out of the normal thinking. I've studied Paleo for some time but never took the jump to completely give up grains, legumes or root veggies. In studying Paleo I came upon the HFLC lifestyle. The more I read about it, the more it made sense to me. I am 9 days into and I'm LOVING it!!! I think it's possibly been easier for me than most because of the way I've been eating for quite sometime. Giving up processed food, artificial sweeteners and eating clean seems to make this transition somewhat easier than I anticipated. My body had already detoxed long before I started this way of eating, therefore I don't think I'm going through cravings that one might had they been eating the typical American diet.
My scale quit working about a week before I started eating this way so I have no idea what the scale would say right about now. I'm looking at that as a good thing because I would tend to let the scale determine my mood for the day. I've been measuring myself so I have that to go by. I can already tell in my face that I'm losing weight and it's only Day 9! My brother saw me last night and asked me if I had lost weight! It had only been a couple weeks since I've seen him. The benefit that I'm noticing the most though is the clarity in my thoughts. I was starting to get concerned because I felt like I was in a continual brain fog. If I do forget a thought I've noticed that I'm able to recall it very quickly. Whereas, before starting HFLC, I would walk in a room to get something, forget why I walked in the room and then end up doing something else. Does that sound familiar to anyone else?
Anyway, I look forward to gleaning as much info as I can from all of you. I know the support here is going to be priceless.
~Tammy
TammyF711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyF711 View Post
Hi all!
I wanted to introduce myself. I'm so happy to have found this forum as I still have a lot to learn about this way of eating. I'm 46 years old and have been struggling to get the weight off I gained from quitting smoking and then 8 months of antibiotics as well as steroids thrown in there several times. I gained a total of 77 pounds. I was able to lose 24 pounds but it took me 9 months! That was through calorie counting and mildly exercising. I'm a very clean eater. We don't do processed food. I buy grass fed beef, pastured chicken and eggs from pastured chickens. I don't drink soda either. Most people that ate that way would lose weight. My body is different and I knew I HAD to do something out of the normal thinking. I've studied Paleo for some time but never took the jump to completely give up grains, legumes or root veggies. In studying Paleo I came upon the HFLC lifestyle. The more I read about it, the more it made sense to me. I am 9 days into and I'm LOVING it!!! I think it's possibly been easier for me than most because of the way I've been eating for quite sometime. Giving up processed food, artificial sweeteners and eating clean seems to make this transition somewhat easier than I anticipated. My body had already detoxed long before I started this way of eating, therefore I don't think I'm going through cravings that one might had they been eating the typical American diet.
My scale quit working about a week before I started eating this way so I have no idea what the scale would say right about now. I'm looking at that as a good thing because I would tend to let the scale determine my mood for the day. I've been measuring myself so I have that to go by. I can already tell in my face that I'm losing weight and it's only Day 9! My brother saw me last night and asked me if I had lost weight! It had only been a couple weeks since I've seen him. The benefit that I'm noticing the most though is the clarity in my thoughts. I was starting to get concerned because I felt like I was in a continual brain fog. If I do forget a thought I've noticed that I'm able to recall it very quickly. Whereas, before starting HFLC, I would walk in a room to get something, forget why I walked in the room and then end up doing something else. Does that sound familiar to anyone else?
Anyway, I look forward to gleaning as much info as I can from all of you. I know the support here is going to be priceless.
~Tammy
I am about as new as you Tammy. Welcome!
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Nice to meet you Tammy and a big welcome from me.

Sounds as if you are off to a great start!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marmarl
Welcome! I'm also new to the forum. I've been lacto-paleo for 16 months and after reading Why We Get Fat went HFLC about 6 weeks ago. My brain is way clearer but there was a while when I first gave up grains that I felt like an absolute crazy person and also when I initially went HFLC I felt pretty cuckoo. It was slightly emabarrassing to me because my co-workers knew I was drastically changing my diet and when they'd see me completely spaced out and barely able to form sentences they would insinuate maybe my diet was wrong. That was the most irritating part of this lifestyle change.
marmarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmarl View Post
Welcome! I'm also new to the forum. I've been lacto-paleo for 16 months and after reading Why We Get Fat went HFLC about 6 weeks ago. My brain is way clearer but there was a while when I first gave up grains that I felt like an absolute crazy person and also when I initially went HFLC I felt pretty cuckoo. It was slightly emabarrassing to me because my co-workers knew I was drastically changing my diet and when they'd see me completely spaced out and barely able to form sentences they would insinuate maybe my diet was wrong. That was the most irritating part of this lifestyle change.
I didn't have that problem because I lowered my carbs slowly over a couple of weeks. Every day I would eat fewer carbs until I am at my present level which is usually less than 10 grams. My husband eats less than 50 grams a day and still loses weight.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote