Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
Need some help

Hi I have been following a tweaked version of NK/fat fast and I am losing weight.HOWEVER I am not able to sustain it longer so I sabotage myself in the weekends by eating something-sometimes a high carb item but mostly a low carb item for example chicken or veggies but I just eat huge portions and then gain as a result.
I don't have trouble getting into ketosis or even losing if I am strict enough,but I have to eat very small portions .
I have been doing this for many months now and i am hovering around the same weight ..I have 40 more to lose.
I am also one of those people who stall when i exercise too much
I read about leptin resistance and it makes sense but that diet is too vague for me.
I am really trying to figure out what is going on with me here.
here is a typical menu for me:
HWC coffee smoothie with HWC and coconut milk
2-2.7 oz meat/fish/ground beef with sour cream/cream cheese and seasonings for lunch and dinner
If I am very hungry then I have an optional snack like 1 oz pepperoni chips with cream cheese or a handful of almonds
I am trying to cut down on caffeine and splenda,so I have that only with breakfast and don't use for the rest of the day.That means BPC is out for the rest of the day.
The above works fine ,I lose weight and get into deep ketosis,and no hunger pangs.
HOWEVER,the lack of food as we know it and overall lack of variety gets the better of me by weekend,and then the bingeing craze starts.
I am just too scared to add anything else fearing that I won't lose as I do now,but anyway i end up sabotaging.
I tried being in Induction levels on weekends,but the too much protein simply adds cravings back and not working.

I wonder if anyone has some ideas how I can improve my present menu for just a little more food but not too much to cause a gain or stall,or add some variety ,and I could afford losing a tad little slower,but sustain and enjoy my WOE so I don't have to cheat on weekends.
sounds simple but I find it quite challenging.I would avoid dessert type stuff as they don't help me much in the cravings department.
Can you also let me know your typical menus for a week and the corresponding weight loss you experience so I can get a bigger picture of how everyone else loses.
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

What !!! 88 views and not a single person has an answer!
meanwhile I looked at another 'binge' thread in main lobby...has some good info there.
must try the SLD
Old 09-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I did look at what you posted earlier. You barely eat anything, so I don't know how to tell you to eat.

Have you tried counting your calories to see where they are? I bet you are barely at 800 calories, and if that's the case, your body is holding on to to every last bit to keep your body nourished.

I think you need to eat more. Maybe not worry about losing for a month or so, but increase the quantity of food. Off the top of my head, I'd say you could probably maintain on 1700+ calories, and that's if you don't really get much extra exercise.

Increase the protein a little bit, definitely increase your fat. Eat some salads, some nuts and cheese, and let your body maintain for a while. Then it might relax and be ready to drop some weight....when it's not so afraid of starving.

Okay, so that's just my take on it. I wish you luck in your weight loss endeavors.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
I hear you! I was hoping you'd get some answers, too!

I keep it simple with co, eggs, chicken, butter, olive oil, ground beef, and some seafood. I have had a few nuts these past few days, just to keep the calories up so that I don't get hungry and cheat.

Hope you find your answer, I'll be listening!
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DebbyCDA
Stats: 255/246/140
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: Aug2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
I did look at what you posted earlier. You barely eat anything, so I don't know how to tell you to eat.

Have you tried counting your calories to see where they are? I bet you are barely at 800 calories, and if that's the case, your body is holding on to to every last bit to keep your body nourished.

I think you need to eat more. Maybe not worry about losing for a month or so, but increase the quantity of food. Off the top of my head, I'd say you could probably maintain on 1700+ calories, and that's if you don't really get much extra exercise.

Increase the protein a little bit, definitely increase your fat. Eat some salads, some nuts and cheese, and let your body maintain for a while. Then it might relax and be ready to drop some weight....when it's not so afraid of starving.

Okay, so that's just my take on it. I wish you luck in your weight loss endeavors.
I agree - I think you're not eating enough. I'm new at this too, but some days I don't eat as much as others, and on those days, I just don't feel as well or 'feel' like I'm losing weight.

Wonder if you ate significantly more of good NK food, it would jump-start things? Maybe treating what you have been doing as a modified fast and go back to more calories and fat?

Maybe you're mentally stressing over it and that is causing your body to 'fear' losing weight? Kind of a mind-over-matter thing?? Relax a bit, eat more and better food, and see what happens.

Just thinking out loud. As I said, I'm new to NK so I maybe off base. Others with more experience may have better advice.

HUGS!! You CAN do this!!
DebbyCDA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My question to you would be, is this way of eating that you are currently doing sustainable? It appears that it is not because of your weekend eating issues. I would caution you that whatever you are doing to lose weight is likely pretty close to what will be maintenance once your get to goal.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone.
I agree my calories are on the low side.But aren't people doing IF and losing well.After my morning smoothie with HWC ,I am not hungry for a long time.I consider that as IF.I eat my next meal only if I am hungry.
Upping the calories or protein randomly doesn't help me since that's exactly what I do on weekends.It just frees the binge monster.

I keep my carbs very low.I did try a few fat bombs that had nut butters in them,didn't do well with them.So far I have been avoiding nuts.

what other NK food is there that I can have?I do use butter,co,olive oil.
I also use eggs but no more than two and usually with yolks,otherwise too much protein for me.
Most processed meat like pepperoni/salami/cold cuts have corn/soy/milk in them so I use these sparingly to avoid allergies.
Recently I bought some Atkins frozen packages,half them and add butter to it,but its not very filling,but at least it warded off a whole binge party one time.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
This is just an opinion, but it is most likely due to the fact that you aren't eating enough fat. In a lot of those foods you listed, you are getting a heavy dose of protein calories along with your fat. And also some carbs in there too. This edges out the calories allotted for fat and will cause you to overeat as your body thinks you don't have enough fat to sustain your daily activities. In reality you do (stored body fat) but it doesn't know that. And this is especially true if you think you are in ketosis. You could actually be dropping in and out of it in a 24hr period without knowing it.
Anyways, what I recommend is making a few changes. First start tracking your calories accurately by weighing everything. Change your dairy products to be more of the higher fat, lower protein ones. For example use butter instead of cream and if you can find a clotted cream or english style cream use that instead of HWC and sour cream (you can sour it yourself if necessary). Instead of coconut milk use coconut oil. And if you have to, start using MCT oil to feed your brain ketones. Me, I use MCT as a last resort. I would also watch what kinds of proteins you are consuming, some have too high a protein/fat ratio. You can pair it with something high fat, but things like sour cream are risky because you don't really eat enough of it to get enough fat at one meal. Nuts are great because they generally have a good fat to carbs/protein ratio, however pecans are better than almonds. Almonds are higher carb. As you get down closer to goal, you can't really get away with eating so little calories. I would try to aim for 250cal less than what your daily intake would be based on your stats. If you don't know what your daily intake would be, I would do some research to figure it out. I'm around 1450/day at my stats, but I am eating around 1550 because I am roughly trying to maintain my weight. When my nutrition plan is off, I can easily eat more calories than I expend.

Hope that helps.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hi Punkin,
Increasing the fat makes sense to me.
I am not sure what you mean by heavy dose of protein,I thought my protein was much lower than recommended.
2-2.7 oz of ground beef/salmon twice a day.It come around tp 40-50 grms tops for whole day.

I hear you on sour cream and coconut milk,they are just convenient but not high enough fat.
Out of all nuts ,so far no reactions to almonds.cannot have any other nuts and only sparingly.I love pecans,but they itch my tongue the whole day.

Where can you get English cream?I have never heard of it.

If i take out the sour cream,what will be your suggestion to use instead?I can use only so much butter on so little food.I also add some co just to increase fat.

I need to look into MCT oil.

Another thing is I am looking at Shangrila diet,lots of people report their bingeing stopped.I figured it that one takes additional oil,and it fits perfectly with my plan.
A while ago,I had run my numbers ,and I don't remember what they were,but I remember while my protein and carbs were OK,my fats were really low.
But I am just not creative enough to add fat ,short of drinking melted butter.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Also remember that n.k. is not the same as the fat fast. It is not reccommended to exceed 4 days or so on the fat fast. Your body needs protein and if you continually undercut it, you will lose muscle mass.

Here is a link to a ton of recipes that are well suited to n.k..

High fat, low to moderate protein recipes?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

It's only been this last month where fats are now super easy for me to eat. It was like my body just needed the time to adjust to them.

The first 2 months I had GERD, then I'd get an upset gut.

Now I can't get enough and it's also getting easier to add them.

I started to make homemade mayo and I can eat it on anything.

Here's a sample of my lunch today, which was low in protein but very high in fat.

1.5 cups of baby lettuces
1/4 c red pepper
1/4 c cucumber
1.5 oz of shredded cheese
3T roasted sunflower seeds

my salad dressing was ~ 2T of my yummy mayo mixed with 3T of homemade oil and vinegar dressing (which is half MCT oil and half EVOO)

That combo was the best salad dressing ever.

I truly see no weight gain due to the amount of fat in my diet. Perhaps I will later on. On day I keep the protein a bit lower and fat really high, I do seem to see weight drops.

Sour cream is high in fat, I'm not sure why you were saying it wasn't (unless I read something wrong.)

Dairy fats are great as long as someone can eat them. Sourcream, creamcheese, HWC, cheeses in general.

I used to cook my 3 eggs in 1 T of butter each morning, now I use 2T of butter. Just try using a bit more of what you use already.

The mayo with the salad dressing made it thicker so it stuck to the lettuce and none was wasted.

I plop mayo on a burger, extra butter on veggies.

I'm not really into fat bombs, but I will do BPC occasionally.

Shangri-la diet is basically 1 T of bland oil (like extra light olive oil) 1 hour before or after a meal. You don't want to associate a taste with it. The first time I tried it I used MCT (very bland and I had it) and then was sick the rest of the evening. If you have any bland oil at home right now, just try 1 T (I put mine in a small glass with some water and sucked it down) and see how you feel. Do it at least 1 hour before you dinner and see if it helps.

I don't really have cravings lately and if I do it's because I"m actually hungry.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
It's only been this last month where fats are now super easy for me to eat. It was like my body just needed the time to adjust to them.

The first 2 months I had GERD, then I'd get an upset gut.

Now I can't get enough and it's also getting easier to add them.

I started to make homemade mayo and I can eat it on anything.

Here's a sample of my lunch today, which was low in protein but very high in fat.

1.5 cups of baby lettuces
1/4 c red pepper
1/4 c cucumber
1.5 oz of shredded cheese
3T roasted sunflower seeds

my salad dressing was ~ 2T of my yummy mayo mixed with 3T of homemade oil and vinegar dressing (which is half MCT oil and half EVOO)

That combo was the best salad dressing ever.

I truly see no weight gain due to the amount of fat in my diet. Perhaps I will later on. On day I keep the protein a bit lower and fat really high, I do seem to see weight drops.

Sour cream is high in fat, I'm not sure why you were saying it wasn't (unless I read something wrong.)

Dairy fats are great as long as someone can eat them. Sourcream, creamcheese, HWC, cheeses in general.

I used to cook my 3 eggs in 1 T of butter each morning, now I use 2T of butter. Just try using a bit more of what you use already.

The mayo with the salad dressing made it thicker so it stuck to the lettuce and none was wasted.

I plop mayo on a burger, extra butter on veggies.

I'm not really into fat bombs, but I will do BPC occasionally.

Shangri-la diet is basically 1 T of bland oil (like extra light olive oil) 1 hour before or after a meal. You don't want to associate a taste with it. The first time I tried it I used MCT (very bland and I had it) and then was sick the rest of the evening. If you have any bland oil at home right now, just try 1 T (I put mine in a small glass with some water and sucked it down) and see how you feel. Do it at least 1 hour before you dinner and see if it helps.

I don't really have cravings lately and if I do it's because I"m actually hungry.
Annette- Thank you- Very Helpful!
I hope my gut will sort itself out as I do have some gastric distress since adding all the fat.

What is your homemade Mayo recipe?

Thanks
Jenna
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Annette ,I have so far been a failure in making homemade mayo.I tried stick blender ,food processor,juice blender the list goes on...I even tried looking at some youtube videos.
Mine just won't cloud at all.Then I decided that is enough wasting of eggs and oil.
Maybe I should try one more time.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I never quite know what I can and can't link to so you'll have to search for it yourself.

Buttoni's Low Carb Recipes is where I got the mayo recipe. It's under condiments.

And the easy way to make it is with the stick blender. The you tube video is under "Mayonnaise" and it's called "Home-made Mayonnaise" by foodwishes. The technique works great.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
Hi I have been following a tweaked version of NK/fat fast and I am losing weight.HOWEVER I am not able to sustain it longer so I sabotage myself in the weekends by eating something-sometimes a high carb item but mostly a low carb item for example chicken or veggies but I just eat huge portions and then gain as a result.
I don't have trouble getting into ketosis or even losing if I am strict enough,but I have to eat very small portions .
I have been doing this for many months now and i am hovering around the same weight ..I have 40 more to lose.
I am also one of those people who stall when i exercise too much
I read about leptin resistance and it makes sense but that diet is too vague for me.
I am really trying to figure out what is going on with me here.
here is a typical menu for me:
HWC coffee smoothie with HWC and coconut milk
2-2.7 oz meat/fish/ground beef with sour cream/cream cheese and seasonings for lunch and dinner
If I am very hungry then I have an optional snack like 1 oz pepperoni chips with cream cheese or a handful of almonds
I am trying to cut down on caffeine and splenda,so I have that only with breakfast and don't use for the rest of the day.That means BPC is out for the rest of the day.
The above works fine ,I lose weight and get into deep ketosis,and no hunger pangs.
HOWEVER,the lack of food as we know it and overall lack of variety gets the better of me by weekend,and then the bingeing craze starts.
I am just too scared to add anything else fearing that I won't lose as I do now,but anyway i end up sabotaging.
I tried being in Induction levels on weekends,but the too much protein simply adds cravings back and not working.

I wonder if anyone has some ideas how I can improve my present menu for just a little more food but not too much to cause a gain or stall,or add some variety ,and I could afford losing a tad little slower,but sustain and enjoy my WOE so I don't have to cheat on weekends.
sounds simple but I find it quite challenging.I would avoid dessert type stuff as they don't help me much in the cravings department.
Can you also let me know your typical menus for a week and the corresponding weight loss you experience so I can get a bigger picture of how everyone else loses.
I can relate to you 100%. I'm still trying tofind my sweet spot in NK to actually lose. So far it's been gain only.
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
Hi Punkin,
Increasing the fat makes sense to me.
I am not sure what you mean by heavy dose of protein,I thought my protein was much lower than recommended.
2-2.7 oz of ground beef/salmon twice a day.It come around tp 40-50 grms tops for whole day.

I hear you on sour cream and coconut milk,they are just convenient but not high enough fat.
Out of all nuts ,so far no reactions to almonds.cannot have any other nuts and only sparingly.I love pecans,but they itch my tongue the whole day.

Where can you get English cream?I have never heard of it.

If i take out the sour cream,what will be your suggestion to use instead?I can use only so much butter on so little food.I also add some co just to increase fat.

I need to look into MCT oil.

Another thing is I am looking at Shangrila diet,lots of people report their bingeing stopped.I figured it that one takes additional oil,and it fits perfectly with my plan.
A while ago,I had run my numbers ,and I don't remember what they were,but I remember while my protein and carbs were OK,my fats were really low.
But I am just not creative enough to add fat ,short of drinking melted butter.
All dairy products contain protein and carbs, even butter, although butter is almost free of them. When you have a meal, the calories should mostly be coming from fat. So you need to look up everything you are eating at each meal and add up g fat, G protein and g carbs. And the total number of calories. For people who struggle, even with the LC lifestyle (like me), have to be more meticulous to stop from overeating which is what got us here in the first place. I marvel at my friends who can maintain their weight generally over the years, and eat a lot more carbs and less fat than myself. You are probably similar to me in that it takes more to get where you want to go.

When I set up my meal plans I just basically think of it this way. How can I get meals mostly made of fat into my body without eating a bowl of oil. Examples such as cesar salad with no chicken, croutons, but maybe some cheese and bacon if it isn't too much. Coffee gelatin with a butter sauce. Rapini bread with brie. An artichoke (whole) plus a complimentary high fat dip to dip the leaves in. Soups are pretty easy, can be full of fat and flavour but it still looks like a decent meal. I may eat 1 - 1.5 oz of meat a day, and some days I don't eat any. And I am so high up there in protein it is ridiculous. Some days I am well over 100g if I choose to eat meat that day. The grams can add up when you start reducing your carbs. Technically you shouldn't need to eat as much fat if you are still far from goal (your body should be using your stored fat as fuel). But some people have brains who really work against them. I just have to see a meal that is too high in carbs/protein and next thing you know I am bingeing and getting cravings. But if I keep my fat up there, I can keep it under control.

I just recommend tracking everything and accurately using weights not volume. You might only need to do it for a few months to figure out what is going on.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote