Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/139.4/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 07.08.13
I really need your help, friends

For medical reasons I have been trying to follow a low carb, low to moderate protein, high fat diet, even though my dr. told me it was a bunch of hooey (in so many words) - he did tell me go ahead though if I wanted to. Here's the thing - I am TERRIBLE at this. I don't know how to figure out the percentages, I don't have a smart phone although I do have an android tablet (Kindle Fire) and I get so frustrated with the tracking app I've been trying to use. My goal is at least 87% fat which is kind of hard because I can't eat avocados. I have any kind of fish, and coconut oil doesn't agree with me.

I had a check up today and there was some (small, but hey I'll take it) improvement since last time, and I'm sure it's the diet. If I can find a way to get to and stick with 87% fat, I'm thinking it will be even better next time. Is there a book I need? And what about ketone monitoring? What do you want the monitor to read? Thank you so much for any help!
doxielove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
WOE: Healthy LCHF
Start Date: To Be Determined
I've done the low carb plan off and on for a several years and just started this nutritional ketosis a week ago. It had been a few years since I last did low carb so it's taking a bit to get back into the swing of things.

I enjoy coconut CREME and use it in many recipes. It contains 70% coconut oil. I do use the coconut oil but not as much and I certainly cannot eat it straight. GAG. Another way to increase fat which I like is add butter to or on everything you can! I also enjoy cream cheese like it's going out of style and sour cream too.

I didn't do all the percentages ... too much brain fog to handle that. I am just doing induction low carb [20 carb limit] for now and adding as much fat as I can handle.

On a side note, how do you like the Kindle? Been wanting to get one for a long time, just haven't taken the plunge yet!

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds all our understand.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
I too don't worry about percentages, just find ways to add in fats.

Coffee with lots of cream in the morning, butter in my eggs.

My current favorite is homemade mayo, I blobbed 2 T on my pan-fried chicken today. Extra butter on my broccoli, lots of oil/vinegar on my salad. I do eat nuts and dark chocolate for a snack.

As far as blood ketones, most of us sort of follow the Phinney/Volek guide of over 0.5 in the AM. That info is online or in their "Art and Science of Low Carb Perfomance" book. "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" is awesome for a first book.

If you don't like coconut oil, eat butter and lots of it. It's got a lot of the medium chain fatty acids like CO. I do use MCT oil, but not tons. I use it half/half with EVOO in my salad dressings and occasionally in a BPC.

Eat chicken skin, pork fat, fattier ground beef...it's not too terribly hard.

But 87% fat is pretty hard. Why have you chosen that number?
Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
On a side note, how do you like the Kindle? Been wanting to get one for a long time, just haven't taken the plunge yet!
I absolutely ADORE my Kindle paperwhite, much much easier on my eyes for reading. I did think I'd be able to download from my local library on it, but no.....if I had the Kindle Fire I would be able to, but not with my paperwhite. So you might look into something like that if it's an issue.

I've already purchased a bunch of low-carb books to have as reference on my kindle, ones I already had in print.

I am totally happy with my purchase.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
I absolutely ADORE my Kindle paperwhite, much much easier on my eyes for reading. I did think I'd be able to download from my local library on it, but no.....if I had the Kindle Fire I would be able to, but not with my paperwhite. So you might look into something like that if it's an issue.

I've already purchased a bunch of low-carb books to have as reference on my kindle, ones I already had in print.

I am totally happy with my purchase.
Yeah I want to download and read books in bed before sleeping and am looking at the Kindle Fire HD 7" 16gb. I do the library thing too, and I *think* they may offer downloading but not sure about it yet. Would also be nice to take the Kindle into the kitchen and look at the recipes instead of having to print them out. Think of the money saved on INK and PAPER! It is affordable but it's hard for me buy things for myself that aren't really NEEDED, only WANTED, ya know? lol
Old 09-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't worry about percentages either. I keep my carbs under 20g total, my protein at about 120g, and get the rest of my calories from fat. The thing with percentages is that your absolute values change when your total calories change, and you don't want your carbs and protein to change.

Just figure out how much protein you need, pick a low number for your carbs, and go from there.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Energy22
Stats: 191.5/176.5/127
WOE: Low Carb/Moderate Protein/High Fat
Start Date: 8/25/13
I find the carb numbers don't always make sense.

My first week I was eating 50 carbs per day and lost 8.5 lbs, but that's probably all water weight. The second week I cut the carbs to 25-30 per day and lost .75 which is less than I'd like. The third week I cut my carbs to 20 and lost 1.75 lbs. I'm in the 4th week and raised my carbs to 45, cut out nuts, and have lost 1 lb in 2 days and the week isn't over yet.

For now I'm using keto sticks and not even every day, but the one morning I got out of the trace/small range into moderate (40) I weighed a pound more! I don't get it.

*edited to correct math

Last edited by Energy22; 09-17-2013 at 05:13 AM..
Energy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy22 View Post
I find the carb numbers don't always make sense.

My first week I was eating 50 carbs per day and lost 8.5 lbs, but that's probably all water weight. The second week I cut the carbs to 25-30 per day and lost .75 which is less than I'd like. The third week I cut my carbs to 20 and lost 1.75 lbs. I'm in the 4th week and raised my carbs to 45, cut out nuts, and have lost 1 lb in 2 days and the week isn't over yet.

For now I'm using keto sticks and not even every day, but the one morning I got out of the trace/small range into moderate (40) I weighed a pound more! I don't get it.

*edited to correct math
That's useful info. I might have to cut out the nuts as I am gaining. Up 3 lbs this week compared to last and I have had NO carb binges (Carbs 20-50/day). I keep thinking I am gaining because of all the Fat... Maybe I should switch to strainght Atkins Induction and lower the fat to start losing again.
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Any of the fat fast mini meals should work. Eat to satisfaction instead of keeping it at 1000 or 1200 cal as the fat fast says to. I guess I should say eat to near satisfaction, since it takes a while to get the fullness signal after a high fat/low everything else meal.
Maybe pick your calorie range and have fat fast meals to whatever that number is.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
HEre, I grabbed some fat fast meals for you. I just pasted, I did not cull out the ones with fish or avocado... you could sub bacon or pork rinds for the avocado and canned chicken tossed with a little oil before measuring for the tuna in oil.

1 oz. Macadamia (15 nuts), Brazil (7 nuts), or Walnuts (15 nuts)
- 2 oz. Cream, St. Andre Cheese, or Brie.
- 3 slices of Fresh Slab Bacon
- 2 Egg yolks mixed with 1 oz. of mayonnaise or mixed with 1/2 a California avocado.
- 2 oz. Sour Cream (not for yeast free diets) mixed with 1 Tbsp. Caviar (This may be served on 3-4 pork rinds).
- 2 Egg yolks mixed with 2 Tbsp. of mayonnaise served on 3-4 pork Rinds.
- 2 oz. chicken, egg, shrimp, salmon, ham or crab mixed with 1 1/2 Tbsp of mayonnaise.
- 1 oz. chicken, egg, shrimp, salmon, ham or crab mixed with 1 tsp. of mayonnaise served in 1/2 a California avocado.
- 2 oz. heavy whipping cream, sweetened with DaVinci syrups. This may be beaten to make a fluffy mousse.
Choose any 5 of the above items
1 ounce macadamia nuts
- Macadamia nut butter with 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 ounce of tuna or chicken with 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2 ounces sour cream with 2 tablespoons black or red caviar
- Half ounce heavy whipping cream with DaVinci syrup
- 2 ounces pâté
- 2 egg yolks hard-boiled with one tablespoon of mayonnaise
It’s only 100 more calories, but look at what you can eat on this:
- 2 ounces of beef chuck cooked in two tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 scrambled eggs with two strips of nitrate-free bacon
- 2 tablespoons of full-fat sour cream with a tablespoon DaVinci syrup
- 1/4 cup chicken or tuna with two tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 3 ounces of pâté
- 1 1/2 ounces of macadamia nuts
coffee w/1/4 c heavy cream
heavy cream, whipped, with dry jello powder sprinkled in
1/4 cup heavy cream, whip it, add sweetener and 1 tsp cocoa
roll cream cheese into balls, sprinkle with dry jello powder, let sit in frig for flavors to meld
2 oz cream cheese with a large rib of celery.
2 tbl peanut butter in a rib of celery
1 oz cream cheese, 1 tbl peanut butter, 1 tbl heavy cream, 10 drops liquid sucralose, 1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 oz pork rinds, 2 oz sour cream, can add a sprinkle of parmesan
2 oz sour cream w/1/2 cup sliced cucumber, salt and pepper and dill
2 tbl tuna canned in oil,2 tbl mayo, a little celery diced up
2 egg yolks hard boiled and mixed w/1 tbl mayo, salt and pepper
1 tsp peanut butter, 2 tbl sour cream, sweetener

and then add butter or oil to anything you can, in case your quantities/ratios are off.
and another one I saw was to saute pecan halves in butter. That actually sounds pretty tasty.

Last edited by emel; 09-17-2013 at 10:31 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DebbyCDA
Stats: 255/246/140
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: Aug2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
HEre, I grabbed some fat fast meals for you. I just pasted, I did not cull out the ones with fish or avocado... you could sub bacon or pork rinds for the avocado and canned chicken tossed with a little oil before measuring for the tuna in oil.

- 2 Egg yolks mixed with 1 oz. of mayonnaise or mixed with 1/2 a California avocado.
- 2 oz. Sour Cream (not for yeast free diets) mixed with 1 Tbsp. Caviar (This may be served on 3-4 pork rinds).
- 2 oz. chicken, egg, shrimp, salmon, ham or crab mixed with 1 1/2 Tbsp of mayonnaise.
- 1 oz. chicken, egg, shrimp, salmon, ham or crab mixed with 1 tsp. of mayonnaise served in 1/2 a California avocado.
- 2 oz. heavy whipping cream, sweetened with DaVinci syrups. This may be beaten to make a fluffy mousse.
1 ounce macadamia nuts
- 2 ounces pâté
- 3 ounces of pâté
roll cream cheese into balls, sprinkle with dry jello powder, let sit in frig for flavors to meld
1 oz cream cheese, 1 tbl peanut butter, 1 tbl heavy cream, 10 drops liquid sucralose, 1/8 tsp cinnamon

and then add butter or oil to anything you can, in case your quantities/ratios are off.
and another one I saw was to saute pecan halves in butter. That actually sounds pretty tasty.
THANKS! I was looking for something like this!
DebbyCDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
There are plenty of on line food trackers that are free and they are all pretty good.

It is important to know the values of the foods you are consuming and the amounts. The overall percentages are far less important then the actual individual values. For me, I aim to keep my carbs below 15g total, protein 45g and fat makes up the rest - usually arriving at about 100g.

I had a big learning curve when it came to moderating my protein and my food tracker was a huge help in that regard. Btw, we are not allowed to recommend a food tracker because of the advertising on all the sites.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
The percentages do not matter. Just knowing that you are eating 87% fat is meaningless when you consider that you can eat 87% fat whether you are eating a tiny amount of food or a gigantic amount of food.

Figure out how much protein you need, add in the amount of carbs you have decided to, and then add enough fat so that you are satisfied. What those percentages are makes no difference.

If you would like to share your height and current weight, I could help you figure out how much protein to start with.

By the way, if you have a lot of body fat to lose, you will need to eat less fat than if you are at your goal weight. Remember that your body will "feed" off of your body fat.

When I started NK in July 2012, I was trying to eat a ton of fat, thinking that was what I was supposed to do. I did not lose weight. I had to cut back on the fat by about 50g per day in order to start losing. I started out eating 185g of fat per day, and had to cut it back to 135g of fat per day, which is still pretty high fat.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
By the way, if you have a lot of body fat to lose, you will need to eat less fat than if you are at your goal weight. Remember that your body will "feed" off of your body fat.

When I started NK in July 2012, I was trying to eat a ton of fat, thinking that was what I was supposed to do. I did not lose weight. I had to cut back on the fat by about 50g per day in order to start losing. I started out eating 185g of fat per day, and had to cut it back to 135g of fat per day, which is still pretty high fat.
That's good to know, Rebecca. Since I have a lot of weight to lose, I won't be concerned so much with shoveling tons of fat down every day! Don't believe I want to get bogged down counting carbs AND protein AND fat every day tho. Do those online trackers keep track of that ???

Last edited by Selahgal; 09-18-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Another easy way to add fat with by saving the drippings from your meat, and adding it to your veggies and meals.

For instance, when I roast chicken thighs (on a wire cooling rack in a cookie pan) I collect the rendered fat in a bowl in the fridge. Drippings from roasted pork, sausage, and bacon go into a jar on the counter. I use a spoonful of fat from these sources when I cook: in my veggies, on my meat, melted with some cream and parmesan cheese and herbs as a sauce...

It adds up!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
The percentages do not matter. Just knowing that you are eating 87% fat is meaningless when you consider that you can eat 87% fat whether you are eating a tiny amount of food or a gigantic amount of food.

Figure out how much protein you need, add in the amount of carbs you have decided to, and then add enough fat so that you are satisfied. What those percentages are makes no difference.

If you would like to share your height and current weight, I could help you figure out how much protein to start with.

Good tip. Thank you!
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That's good to know, Rebecca. Since I have a lot of weight to lose, I won't be concerned so much with shoveling tons of fat down every day! Don't believe I want to get bogged down counting carbs AND protein AND fat every day tho. Do those online trackers keep track of that ???
The online trackers track everything.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennafun View Post
Good tip. Thank you!
You're welcome!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The online trackers track everything.
Can u recommend one?
Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: colamalu
Stats: 5'6" 188/184/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: NK Restart July 2014
Quote:

Hi Rebecca,

Would you please help me out with macros? I am 5'5" and currently weigh 174, would like to get to 130. I hadn't realized you could eat too much fat if you have a lot of weight to lose...not sure if 45 is a lot of weight or not when it comes to consuming fat! Thank you! Lauri
colamalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Can u recommend one?
Click here for some suggestions.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colamalu View Post
Hi Rebecca,

Would you please help me out with macros? I am 5'5" and currently weigh 174, would like to get to 130. I hadn't realized you could eat too much fat if you have a lot of weight to lose...not sure if 45 is a lot of weight or not when it comes to consuming fat! Thank you! Lauri
Just as an aside, 130 pounds for a person who is 5'5" seems to be too thin. A normal, healthy weight for a woman your height would be closer to 144 pounds. I am only 5'3", and the weight recommended for me is 135 pounds.

That being said, consider this, from the Optimal Diet formula, which is what I have used in the past with success, modified to allow for your additional height:

140g fat
59-72g protein
33g total carbs (not net carbs)

On the other hand, Phinney and Volek would suggest a little more protein, closer to 100-125g.

Last edited by RebeccaLatham; 09-18-2013 at 07:13 PM..
Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just as an aside, 130 pounds for a person who is 5'5" seems to be too thin. A normal, healthy weight for a woman your height would be closer to 144 pounds. I am only 5'3", and the weight recommended for me is 135 pounds.
It's not necessarily too thin. I'm 5'5" and I look great at 130 lbs, though I could still use more muscle. I got down to 126 a few years ago, and at age 35 weighed 120 lbs. I'm currently at 145 and definitely too fat, but I could deal with this weight if I needed to.

I just know I have a small frame and not a lot of muscle on my body.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:23 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
Hi Rebecca,
Would you suggest a few things that u used(menus/meals/foods) by which you were able to up your fat from 135-185g. I always come up low on fats although I add them everywhere.My carbs and protein are low range,but fats need a ramping up.

Everyone here seems to talk about English cream,I wonder where you get that?

On a side note ,I am 5' 6 and my friend is also 5'6.She wears a size 4 at 130 lbs.But I wear a size 4 at 150lbs.One time when I got down to 142,I really looked too pale ans starving.I can't go beyond 145 for sure.I think its the way we carry our weight plus things like bone density and muscle mass.i don't do much exercise either,but I guess something is different about me from her.If you google something to the effect of 150 pounds women with different heights,you will get a picture that says it all.
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
Hi Rebecca,
Would you suggest a few things that u used(menus/meals/foods) by which you were able to up your fat from 135-185g. I always come up low on fats although I add them everywhere.My carbs and protein are low range,but fats need a ramping up.
Just to clarify, I reduced my fat from 185 to 135. But when it was at 185, I was just adding butter, coconut oil and MCT oil to my foods.

For instance, I might use 1.5 Tbs. of butter with my eggs, and put the same on meat, etc.

Fat Bombs come in real handy for increasing fat, too! You can find my recipe for those on my blog by clicking the "Recipes" box in the right column.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I've done the low carb plan off and on for a several years and just started this nutritional ketosis a week ago. It had been a few years since I last did low carb so it's taking a bit to get back into the swing of things.

I enjoy coconut CREME and use it in many recipes. It contains 70% coconut oil. I do use the coconut oil but not as much and I certainly cannot eat it straight. GAG. Another way to increase fat which I like is add butter to or on everything you can! I also enjoy cream cheese like it's going out of style and sour cream too.

I didn't do all the percentages ... too much brain fog to handle that. I am just doing induction low carb [20 carb limit] for now and adding as much fat as I can handle.

Sorry I took so long to answer, I've been too swamped at work to log on! Marci, I have the big Kindle Fire (4G and all that) - with all the bells and whistles it cost almost as much as an IPad (although I think the price may have gone down by now). My husband is an Apple guy so I've used both...the IPad definitely has more apps, but I'm not really into apps that much so it doesn't matter to me. i really like my Kindle EXCEPT it is terrible outside because of the glare. I wish I had kept my old original Kindle just for reading, and when I can afford it I'm going to get the Kindle paper white just for reading. Otherwise, I really enjoy my Kindle for internet surfing, email, watching movies and shopping.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post

1 ounce macadamia nuts
- 2 ounces pâté
- 3 ounces of pâté

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the fact that you would go to all that trouble - thank you SO MUCH!!! You're the best, and this is very useful!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielove View Post
Sorry I took so long to answer, I've been too swamped at work to log on! Marci, I have the big Kindle Fire (4G and all that) - with all the bells and whistles it cost almost as much as an IPad (although I think the price may have gone down by now). My husband is an Apple guy so I've used both...the IPad definitely has more apps, but I'm not really into apps that much so it doesn't matter to me. i really like my Kindle EXCEPT it is terrible outside because of the glare. I wish I had kept my old original Kindle just for reading, and when I can afford it I'm going to get the Kindle paper white just for reading. Otherwise, I really enjoy my Kindle for internet surfing, email, watching movies and shopping.
No problem, I appreciate your answer. I noticed the glare was really bad too, when I looked at one in the store. And the fingerprints were really bad too. Yet in their description they say it has a 'special anti glare' screen or something. Maybe each model is different? I don't care much about apps either. I'd probably use it for basically what you say you use it for! But I read a lot too and was hoping it would be good for that, although I read my novels usually in bed before sleeping. Still wouldn't want a night lamp glaring off it! The glare might also be an issue on road trips as well. I saw they sell anti glare screens for them, too.

Last edited by Selahgal; 09-20-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Old 09-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Rebecca, I hope you will come back and see my reply because it has taken me a while to get back here.

I am 5'3" tall and I have a small frame, so even two years ago when I got down to 144 lbs I was wearing size 14 or large (fat is concentrated in my belly and upper arms). Right now I have gained a little and I weigh 161, even though I have religiously followed a low (under 20g) carb diet since July 8th, 2013. I think 120-125 will be right for me with my small bones (I wear a size 4 ring). 87% fat was what scientists used in the experiment with mice when they were able to reverse kidney failure using a ketogenic diet. I am in stage 4 kidney disease and facing the very real possibility of dialysis; therefore I want to do everything I can to hold it off and so I want to be as close to that 87% as possible (I know it was mice but that's a good target anyway). My dr. gave me the go-ahead to try NK. I ordered a blood ketone meter and strips today and I've been reading Jimmy Moore's blog about it. I hope it will break my stall as well. I'm sure at my height and the fact that I have a sit-down job I don't need too many calories. I know I need moderate protein but don't know where/how to find out how much I need. I am clueless as to how many grams of anything to eat; carbs are the only thing I am successful at tracking. Any help you can give me in figuring out the other numbers would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielove View Post
Rebecca, I hope you will come back and see my reply because it has taken me a while to get back here.

I am 5'3" tall and I have a small frame, so even two years ago when I got down to 144 lbs I was wearing size 14 or large (fat is concentrated in my belly and upper arms). Right now I have gained a little and I weigh 161, even though I have religiously followed a low (under 20g) carb diet since July 8th, 2013. I think 120-125 will be right for me with my small bones (I wear a size 4 ring). 87% fat was what scientists used in the experiment with mice when they were able to reverse kidney failure using a ketogenic diet. I am in stage 4 kidney disease and facing the very real possibility of dialysis; therefore I want to do everything I can to hold it off and so I want to be as close to that 87% as possible (I know it was mice but that's a good target anyway). My dr. gave me the go-ahead to try NK. I ordered a blood ketone meter and strips today and I've been reading Jimmy Moore's blog about it. I hope it will break my stall as well. I'm sure at my height and the fact that I have a sit-down job I don't need too many calories. I know I need moderate protein but don't know where/how to find out how much I need. I am clueless as to how many grams of anything to eat; carbs are the only thing I am successful at tracking. Any help you can give me in figuring out the other numbers would be greatly appreciated!
Going by Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's formula, a 5'3" woman should weight around 132 pounds. I would say to shoot for that, and if you hit it, then decide if you want to go lower, if you can.

He says that you should be eating between 54 and 66 grams of protein per day.

He says you should be eating half the amount of carb grams as you are eating protein, so if you choose to eat 54 grams of protein, you would be eating 27 grams of carbs. If you choose to eat more protein (up to 66 grams), just halve that to figure out how many grams of carbs to eat.

In my case, I chose to limit myself to only 20 grams of carbs per day, even though Dr. K said I should be eating 33.5 grams.

As far as fat goes, he says to eat between 2.5 and 3.5 times the amount of protein grams in fat grams. So, if you are eating 54 grams of protein, you would eat between 135 and 189 grams of fat, and so on.

If you decide to use these numbers, I urge you to ask your doctor what he thinks of them before you change the way you are eating. I am not a doctor, nor do I play on on the internet, and I know nothing about your kidney disease or the ramifications of a ketogenic diet on your condition. Dr. K's recommendations are generalizations only, and, for all I know, this type of diet may not be healthy for you.

I repeat - Please talk to your doctor about this before making any changes.