Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/139.4/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 07.08.13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
No problem, I appreciate your answer. I noticed the glare was really bad too, when I looked at one in the store. And the fingerprints were really bad too. Yet in their description they say it has a 'special anti glare' screen or something. Maybe each model is different? I don't care much about apps either. I'd probably use it for basically what you say you use it for! But I read a lot too and was hoping it would be good for that, although I read my novels usually in bed before sleeping. Still wouldn't want a night lamp glaring off it! The glare might also be an issue on road trips as well. I saw they sell anti glare screens for them, too.
You can read inthe dark with the fire because it lights up and when I can't sleep (often) I put in some headphones and watch a movie or listen to music. My old Kindle didn't light up but they probably all do now. I do like reading magazines in color on it. I clean the screen with a premoistened glasses wipe but I'm going to look into one of those screens you mentioned.
doxielove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Going by Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's formula, a 5'3" woman should weight around 132 pounds. I would say to shoot for that, and if you hit it, then decide if you want to go lower, if you can.

He says that you should be eating between 54 and 66 grams of protein per day.

He says you should be eating half the amount of carb grams as you are eating protein, so if you choose to eat 54 grams of protein, you would be eating 27 grams of carbs. If you choose to eat more protein (up to 66 grams), just halve that to figure out how many grams of carbs to eat.

In my case, I chose to limit myself to only 20 grams of carbs per day, even though Dr. K said I should be eating 33.5 grams.

As far as fat goes, he says to eat between 2.5 and 3.5 times the amount of protein grams in fat grams. So, if you are eating 54 grams of protein, you would eat between 135 and 189 grams of fat, and so on.

If you decide to use these numbers, I urge you to ask your doctor what he thinks of them before you change the way you are eating. I am not a doctor, nor do I play on on the internet, and I know nothing about your kidney disease or the ramifications of a ketogenic diet on your condition. Dr. K's recommendations are generalizations only, and, for all I know, this type of diet may not be healthy for you.

I repeat - Please talk to your doctor about this before making any changes.
I hereby publicly and solemnly swear that I will not hold you or anyone else on this forum responsible for any changes in my condition, whether good or bad. There...no worries.Print that if you want. Through hours and hours of reading and research I am finding the kidney people are doling out the same kind of crap as the ADA. They say don't eat meat or fat then say it's ok to eat pastry as long as it contains no nuts.and white bread and pasta are fine too. The most groundbreaking resesrch has reversed kidney failure in mice with a ketogenic diet. I have nothing to lose except my job and any sense of a normal life if I go on dialysis, so don't worry friends, I'm doing this with or without your help. It's just so much better with you along for the ride.

Last edited by doxielove; 09-20-2013 at 07:55 PM..
Old 09-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis 32c/63p/FAT
Start Date: 8/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielove View Post
I hereby publicly and solemnly swear that I will not hold you or anyone else on this forum responsible for any changes in my condition, whether good or bad. There...no worries.Print that if you want. Through hours and hours of reading and research I am finding the kidney people are doling out the same kind of crap as the ADA. They say don't eat meat or fat then say it's ok to eat pastry as long as it contains no nuts.and white bread and pasta are fine too. The most groundbreaking resesrch has reversed kidney failure in mice with a ketogenic diet. I have nothing to lose except my job and any sense of a normal life if I go on dialysis, so don't worry friends, I'm doing this with or without your help. It's just so much better with you along for the ride.
Thank God you've done your own research and come out from among the poor folks being fed the mainstream medical malarky!
Selahgal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
For medical reasons I have been trying to follow a low carb, low to moderate protein, high fat diet, even though my dr. told me it was a bunch of hooey (in so many words) - he did tell me go ahead though if I wanted to. Here's the thing - I am TERRIBLE at this. I don't know how to figure out the percentages, I don't have a smart phone although I do have an android tablet (Kindle Fire) and I get so frustrated with the tracking app I've been trying to use. My goal is at least 87% fat which is kind of hard because I can't eat avocados. I have any kind of fish, and coconut oil doesn't agree with me.

I had a check up today and there was some (small, but hey I'll take it) improvement since last time, and I'm sure it's the diet. If I can find a way to get to and stick with 87% fat, I'm thinking it will be even better next time. Is there a book I need? And what about ketone monitoring? What do you want the monitor to read? Thank you so much for any help!
I just make sure that I get in the minimal amount of protein that I need, the minimal amount of carbs that I can tolerate, and then add in fat as needed. You can get extra fat by eating high fat hamburger, adding butter to your vegetables and eggs, and cooking in fat. Also cream cheese is high in fat, though you need to watch the carbs in it. I make fat bombs with either butter or butter and coconut oil, unsweetened cocoa powder, and a minimal amount of sweetener. I make it to be not too sweet. I still have to make sure that I don't eat too much fat, because it can prevent a person from losing their body fat if too much is eaten. I keep my protein levels at less than 60 grams which is about 6 to 8 oz a day. I eat less than 20 grams of carb and usually less than 10 grams. I add the rest in as fat. There are many who eat more protein than I do, but if I eat more, I gain.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
I just make sure that I get in the minimal amount of protein that I need, the minimal amount of carbs that I can tolerate, and then add in fat as needed. You can get extra fat by eating high fat hamburger, adding butter to your vegetables and eggs, and cooking in fat. Also cream cheese is high in fat, though you need to watch the carbs in it. I make fat bombs with either butter or butter and coconut oil, unsweetened cocoa powder, and a minimal amount of sweetener. I make it to be not too sweet. I still have to make sure that I don't eat too much fat, because it can prevent a person from losing their body fat if too much is eaten. I keep my protein levels at less than 60 grams which is about 6 to 8 oz a day. I eat less than 20 grams of carb and usually less than 10 grams. I add the rest in as fat. There are many who eat more protein than I do, but if I eat more, I gain.
Carolyn
Carolyn your numbers are almost identical to what I'm planning. I'm thinking about 50 grams of protein and 10 carbs a day because I have diabetes and I am very carb sensitive. That means I need to eat a lot of fat but if I try not to eat a lot of food in general I hope I will lose some weight. Of course raising the number on my kidney filtration rate is my primary focus. I deeply appreciate all the help!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Two more quick thoughts: first, I was shocked to find out that many vegetables contain more nitrites than bacon (!) and I also did not know that the phosphorus count was so high in many of them until I had to be aware of things like that. Therefore, if I have to limit my nitrites (I hope is isn't nitrates, it's one or the other, anyway) and phosphorus, I'll get it from meat, cheese, and a small amount of nuts, thank you, and save the veggie carbs (mind you, I love veggies and will have them once in a while). Second, can anyone share a fat bomb recipe that doesn't use coconut oil (or not much) - coconut oil and Splenda upset my stomach. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Two more quick thoughts: first, I was shocked to find out that many vegetables contain more nitrites than bacon (!) and I also did not know that the phosphorus count was so high in many of them until I had to be aware of things like that. Therefore, if I have to limit my nitrites (I hope is isn't nitrates, it's one or the other, anyway) and phosphorus, I'll get it from meat, cheese, and a small amount of nuts, thank you, and save the veggie carbs (mind you, I love veggies and will have them once in a while). Second, can anyone share a fat bomb recipe that doesn't use coconut oil (or not much) - coconut oil and Splenda upset my stomach. Thanks!
Have you tried using coconut creme?
Old 09-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No. I've seen people mention it here but I've never seen it in the stores. Is it less likely to upset my stomach?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
No. I've seen people mention it here but I've never seen it in the stores. Is it less likely to upset my stomach?
Well, I don't know. You can do a search online for it. I'm not sure if we can suggest brand names here. It is 70% coconut oil and 30% coconut. Sometimes the oil can make me queasy but the creme never has.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Make any fat bomb recipe and just substitute any other oil that does not upset your stomach. Or substitute with butter.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aruralgirl
Stats: 216/179/160 ht. 5'7
WOE: FF/M&E
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for a while. Selahgal, I have the same reaction to coconut oil, so I'm intrigued by coconut crème. Do you buy it at a health food store or could it be found in Walmart or Kroger?

Thanks!

Amy
Aruralgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruralgirl View Post
Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for a while. Selahgal, I have the same reaction to coconut oil, so I'm intrigued by coconut crème. Do you buy it at a health food store or could it be found in Walmart or Kroger?

Thanks!

Amy
You should be able to buy it at many places online. I don't think I've seen it at Walmart or Kroger's tho. Sometimes it's called Coconut Butter but there is also topical cream with that name so it's confusing. The brand I buy calls it Coconut Creme.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I just saw canned coconut cream at Whole Foods next to the canned coconut milk.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #44
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Coconut cream (artisani) can be found in health food stores here and some independant grocery stores. I ordered on line when I first discovered it and found that it goes a long way. Sadly, I have 6 unopened jars that are now past their expiry date....live and learn.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Coconut cream (artisani) can be found in health food stores here and some independant grocery stores. I ordered on line when I first discovered it and found that it goes a long way. Sadly, I have 6 unopened jars that are now past their expiry date....live and learn.
Coconut creme & oil is still good after expiration dates! That stuff lasts forever!!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #46
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Coconut creme & oil is still good after expiration dates! That stuff lasts forever!!
t.y.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #47
Joe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joe
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis / Zero Carb
There has been some interesting recent news coverage about expiration dates: 90 percent of Americans confused by 'use by' dates on food

Basically, the listed date usually doesn't relate to when an item becomes hazardous, but usually means the flavor won't be all it could be.

I found some gelatin powder in the fridge that's a few years past its expiration date. I'm a bit puzzled on what can happen to powdered gelatin as it doesn't smell, and I've been consuming it.

joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aruralgirl
Stats: 216/179/160 ht. 5'7
WOE: FF/M&E
Start Date: April 2013
Thanks for your response Marci, Rebecca, and Cathy. BTW, Rebecca, I'm loving my FF cookbook!
Aruralgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Make any fat bomb recipe and just substitute any other oil that does not upset your stomach. Or substitute with butter.
Thank you, I did just that. one-half cup natural crunchy peanut butter, one stick butter, two tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and one tablespoon powdered sweetener. Dropped by the spoonful onto a cookie sheet and froze. They are incredible. Now the hard part is to eat only one a day!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruralgirl View Post
Thanks for your response Marci, Rebecca, and Cathy. BTW, Rebecca, I'm loving my FF cookbook!
So glad!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you, I did just that. one-half cup natural crunchy peanut butter, one stick butter, two tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and one tablespoon powdered sweetener. Dropped by the spoonful onto a cookie sheet and froze. They are incredible. Now the hard part is to eat only one a day!
That is the challenge, all right!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:07 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
Huh, Im 5 3 and 138 lbs and i look awful! my goal is between 120 and 115... pre baby i was 120 and still had a gut and some flab to lose...
i have to wear size L clothes right now, even some XL to be comfy
what are the suggested fat numbers for me?
natalie
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspeedracer View Post
Huh, Im 5 3 and 138 lbs and i look awful! my goal is between 120 and 115... pre baby i was 120 and still had a gut and some flab to lose...
i have to wear size L clothes right now, even some XL to be comfy
what are the suggested fat numbers for me?
natalie
You first figure out how many grams of protein to eat, then add in the amount of carbs you have decided to eat, then eat enough fat to keep hunger at bay. There is really no set number for fat grams - it is very individual.

Do you know how many grams of fat, protein and carbs you are currently eating? And have you been losing body fat doing what you have been doing?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yeah I want to download and read books in bed before sleeping and am looking at the Kindle Fire HD 7" 16gb. I do the library thing too, and I *think* they may offer downloading but not sure about it yet. Would also be nice to take the Kindle into the kitchen and look at the recipes instead of having to print them out. Think of the money saved on INK and PAPER! It is affordable but it's hard for me buy things for myself that aren't really NEEDED, only WANTED, ya know? lol
I have the first Kindle Fire and I love it.
Carolyn
Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Carolyn your numbers are almost identical to what I'm planning. I'm thinking about 50 grams of protein and 10 carbs a day because I have diabetes and I am very carb sensitive. That means I need to eat a lot of fat but if I try not to eat a lot of food in general I hope I will lose some weight. Of course raising the number on my kidney filtration rate is my primary focus. I deeply appreciate all the help!
I have recently cut back a little on my fat intake and it seems to be helping me lose weight. I actually lost 1.3 pounds in 4 days. I am not hungry at all. I allow myself 6 cups of coffee with cream spread out throughout the day. Most of it is decaf. I have been eating cream cheese for my dinner. I eat about 2 oz of that. My breakfast and lunch are my largest meals. Though I keep them small as well. I cut out all but one drop of my sweetener in my coffee in the morning. Yesterday, I had about 6 total slices of bacon spread out throughout the day and a chicken leg. Of course I keep a running total of my protein so that I do not eat too much. I hope this helps you as well. Drinking lots of water will help your kidneys.
Carolyn