Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
???Scientific paper help needed: LC or ketogenic diet and neural regeneration, please

I want to help someone who was in an accident and I need some very convincing scientific data to give to the family and doctors.

If you are good at finding scientific papers in well respected medical journals or reports at PubMed, or similar, I need solid information on neural regeneration on LC or ketogenic diets, especially spinal nerves, if you'd be willing to help.

All I can find are rat studies, and I need reports on people, too, or at least something more convincing to the very skeptical than rats, or anecdotal evidence.

Thanks in advance.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Wish I could help you Auntie Em.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I searched PubMed using the MeSH search term "ketogenic diet" and got 376 results. If you pm me with your email address I can send you the list. Many of them were about epilepsy, a couple about other brain issues, but none about neural regeneration as far as I can tell, especially in humans. I did see a couple of abstracts in earlier searches I tried about rats as you found. I just don't think this is an area that has been studied, and certainly not in humans. One thing to be aware of is that many studies done on ketogenic diets in humans (at least in non-epileptic patients) are done very short term - maybe for a couple of weeks. Not enough time to become keto-adapted at all. I assume you have read The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, but if not they do a good job explaining why most of the research done on ketogenic diets is like this and really doesn't give a picture of the efficacy of ketogenic diets long term.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Cfine, thanks for the kind thoughts.

Mistizoom, I, too, searched on PubMed and did not find anything on ketogenic or LC diets regenerating neurons in humans. Thanks for looking for me.

Yes, I have the Volek/Phinney, Art and Science of LC living. The title sounds quite encompassing, but the contents do not cover my wish list of what LC and VLC help. I appreciate your taking the time to try to find something.

I am keen to find some solid science on this.

Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Auntie Em, have you taken a look at the new book Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD? He's a board-certified neurologist and a fellow of the American College of Nutrition. I'm just reading the introduction so far and it's pretty much blowing me away how many diseases he says are tied to grain consumption. I'm not sure if the book discusses ketogenic diets specifically, but it might be worth taking a look.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote