Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Random thoughts & questions ... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/812111-random-thoughts-questions.html)

Selahgal 09-12-2013 05:28 PM

Random thoughts & questions ...

Ok, Day 5 here and wondering ...

... eating a lot of eggs thinking they are almost zero carb but checked today and found they are about .36g each so I guess they DO need to be 'counted' right? I mean, they do ADD UP, right? Same with real cheese?

And speaking of cheese, two brands of cream cheese I bought both have 2 carbs per oz listed on their 8oz package meaning the entire brick has 16 carbs! Not so low after all, eh? Trying to find ways to add fat without the carbs!?

... also finding it hard to eat, feeling icky, not real hungry, forcing myself to eat but it's never enough and I fear I'm getting malnourished or will get there. Would protein smoothies be a way to get more nutrition? I could handle the smoothies easier than eating. Need more variety for sure. I know it's the usual change of eating that causes the 'detox' type symptoms and those should pass soon, but I don't want to starve either for lack of hunger!

... doing keto pee stix daily and am in 'small' color level, which is good I think and doing fasting blood sugar first thing in the mornings. Odd that my blood sugar hasn't gotten below 100 yet ... is that something that'll happen eventually?

Thanks for any feedback, advice or comments. :confused:

cfine 09-12-2013 05:46 PM

Yes, everything counts! When I'm not using an online tracker I count .5net carb per egg. Each ounce of cheese is counted at 1 net carb. The name brand cream cheese usually only has one net carb per ounce so you might want to pay the extra next time.

Some chicken broth would probably make you feel better. You are probably sodium depleted. Adding some butter or heavy cream to it would give you some more fat calories which you probably need right now.

MerryKate 09-13-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selahgal (Post 16602005)
Would protein smoothies be a way to get more nutrition?

Cathy answered a lot of the others, so I thought I'd take this one on. Dr. Jeff Volek (of the Art & Science of Low Carb Living fame) has a regular nutrition column, and he reported recently that eating whey has a definite impact on weight loss. Specifically, dieters who had a whey protein smoothie (22 g protein) each day lost double the weight of those on a non-whey shake with the same amount of calories. Whey helps the body maintain lean body mass while losing, which keeps the metabolism humming along at a higher rate. In short, whey protein smoothies are a great way to get your protein in. Watch the labels on your whey powder, tho - some of them are rather high in carbs; go for the ones without sugar.

clackley 09-13-2013 07:24 AM

MerryKate, I didn't know that Dr. Volek had a column. I did a quick search and could not find it. Wonder if you could lead me to it?

cfine 09-13-2013 08:32 AM

I would also be interested in that.

Selahgal 09-13-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16602031)
Yes, everything counts! When I'm not using an online tracker I count .5net carb per egg. Each ounce of cheese is counted at 1 net carb. The name brand cream cheese usually only has one net carb per ounce so you might want to pay the extra next time.

Some chicken broth would probably make you feel better. You are probably sodium depleted. Adding some butter or heavy cream to it would give you some more fat calories which you probably need right now.

I checked the Philly brand cream cheese online and it also had 2 carbs per oz. :dunno:

Thanks for advice on adding butter or cream. I need to keep that in mind!

:up:

emel 09-15-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16602592)
MerryKate, I didn't know that Dr. Volek had a column. I did a quick search and could not find it. Wonder if you could lead me to it?

Volek is a contributor to Men's Health Magazine, specifically their TNT diet section. Maybe that's it.

And you can also get links to his and Phinney's studies, on the Art and Science of Low Carb Living site. And Nutrition Express lists a lot of articles by Volek.

Patience 09-15-2013 08:40 AM

I've made a variant of fat bombs using whey protein powder (0 carbs) mixed with butter or CO . . . don't have the exact proportions down but enough oil not too be too chewey. I could probably thin a bit with some water. Sometimes I add a bit of flavor extract -- almond, hazelnut, or vanilla being my favorites.

lovetoknit 09-15-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selahgal (Post 16602005)
Ok, Day 5 here and wondering ...

... eating a lot of eggs thinking they are almost zero carb but checked today and found they are about .36g each so I guess they DO need to be 'counted' right? I mean, they do ADD UP, right? Same with real cheese?

And speaking of cheese, two brands of cream cheese I bought both have 2 carbs per oz listed on their 8oz package meaning the entire brick has 16 carbs! Not so low after all, eh? Trying to find ways to add fat without the carbs!?

... also finding it hard to eat, feeling icky, not real hungry, forcing myself to eat but it's never enough and I fear I'm getting malnourished or will get there. Would protein smoothies be a way to get more nutrition? I could handle the smoothies easier than eating. Need more variety for sure. I know it's the usual change of eating that causes the 'detox' type symptoms and those should pass soon, but I don't want to starve either for lack of hunger!

... doing keto pee stix daily and am in 'small' color level, which is good I think and doing fasting blood sugar first thing in the mornings. Odd that my blood sugar hasn't gotten below 100 yet ... is that something that'll happen eventually?

Thanks for any feedback, advice or comments. :confused:

I buy the Philadelphia cream cheese because it has very few additives and it only has 1 gram of carb per oz. Of course no food is all you can eat. Even too much protein can make you gain or not lose weight. I really keep my carbs less than 15 per day. Most of the time it is less than 10 grams. When I eat eggs, I only eat 1 or 2 a day. I use a herbs and garlic powder to flaver my meat, chicken, and fish. If you want variety, try eating small amounts of green vegetables with butter or sour cream on them. Also adding a small amount of sour cream to your chicken is very good. I use malt vinegar on my salmon. A good brand of sour cream is Daisy. It has no extra additives.
Carolyn

lovetoknit 09-15-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selahgal (Post 16602926)
I checked the Philly brand cream cheese online and it also had 2 carbs per oz. :dunno:

Thanks for advice on adding butter or cream. I need to keep that in mind!

:up:

I just looked at my package of the Philly full fat cream cheese in the block, and it only has 1 gram of carbs per oz.
Carolyn

Selahgal 09-15-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16605095)
I just looked at my package of the Philly full fat cream cheese in the block, and it only has 1 gram of carbs per oz.
Carolyn

That's so wierd cause I went to their website and got the information about 2g of carbs per oz! :confused:

Anyhow, after a week now I did not lose any weight at all. But my first reason in health so I refuse to get upset about the weight. It would be nice to lose, but it is what it is.

Oddly, my blood pressure is higher, my temp is even lower [down to 97.1 today!] ... and my fbg is still 109. I think this is going to be a tooth-n-toenail fight for my health!

AnnetteW 09-15-2013 02:47 PM

I generally use the cream cheese from Aldi and I just checked and it says 2 g of carbs per 1 oz.

But the carbs in cream cheese aren't going to be what keep me from losing weight, I don't eat that much cream cheese.

I do remember Stephen Phinney (I believe it was him) during one of the online videos he has on YouTube with Jeff Volek, saying cream cheese is a perfect NK food as it is already in the correct fat/protein/carb percentage.

Don't quote me exactly on that, but it was something to that order.

I think lots of cream cheese on some celery is a great snack.

AnnetteW 09-15-2013 02:52 PM

As far as not seeing a weight loss...I'm truly thinking that these low carb gurus should be doing their study on older women, perimenopausal and menopausal. We do not lose weight just following a low carb diet, not unless we are also eating at a deficit. And so many of us have screwed up metabolisms from years of dieting and deprivation. Our bodies have no clue what's going on.

Spending the first couple weeks just changing the diet to healthy foods with lots of fats is possibly the best way to start, then and only then, worry about weight loss.

I really wish there was some way we could tell these guys (the gurus) that we need some help, some definite answers. A woman who has been overweight all her life, then at 50+ decides to get fit and healthy by going low carb, is probably not going to end up at 120 lbs. Maybe one out of one hundred can, but most won't. What exactly can we expect?

Selahgal 09-15-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteW (Post 16605508)
As far as not seeing a weight loss...I'm truly thinking that these low carb gurus should be doing their study on older women, perimenopausal and menopausal. We do not lose weight just following a low carb diet, not unless we are also eating at a deficit. And so many of us have screwed up metabolisms from years of dieting and deprivation. Our bodies have no clue what's going on.

Spending the first couple weeks just changing the diet to healthy foods with lots of fats is possibly the best way to start, then and only then, worry about weight loss.

I really wish there was some way we could tell these guys (the gurus) that we need some help, some definite answers. A woman who has been overweight all her life, then at 50+ decides to get fit and healthy by going low carb, is probably not going to end up at 120 lbs. Maybe one out of one hundred can, but most won't. What exactly can we expect?

You are SO RIGHT Annette! I'm 10 years post menopause [just turned 62], been on diets my whole life and probably screwed up my body and metabolism totally by now. That's why I'm just trying to focus on HEALTH now. My theory is if we give the body what it needs to be in health it will get healthy. Might take some time and effort, maybe years of it, so I try to think of this as a change in eating habits rather than a 'diet'.

When I got serious about health, esp. natural and alternative health, I was going through menopause. I started learning so much and have never stopped learning. I truly believe now that low carb high fat is a healthiest [I know everyone is different and not every 'way' works for everyone] and also eating real food and less processed food. That's why I love the NUTRITIONAL KETOSIS!

As for cream cheese, I really love it and have made many recipes with it. I am slowly getting back into the swing of this thing! :up:

MerryKate 09-15-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16604989)
Volek is a contributor to Men's Health Magazine, specifically their TNT diet section. Maybe that's it.

And you can also get links to his and Phinney's studies, on the Art and Science of Low Carb Living site. And Nutrition Express lists a lot of articles by Volek.

I think that was it. Someone had suggested looking up "Dr. Volek Sipping" and that was what came up.

Selahgal 09-16-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerryKate (Post 16605886)
I think that was it. Someone had suggested looking up "Dr. Volek Sipping" and that was what came up.

There's tons of youtube vids with him.