Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: leblair
Stats: 203.4/193.6/135
WOE: ketogenic, super low-carb
Start Date: 04/15/2012
Post Induction Stall Syndrome and Cheating

I figured P.I.S.S. is more of an Atkins thing, but I think I'm suffering from it. Been doing strict keto for a month now, lost 10 pounds the first week and since then, NOTHING. I've been counting carbs, exercising, etc... I've heard of people's stalls going on for months.

The thing is, my birthday is this weekend. I can't decide if I want to indulge or not. I mean, a big steak sounds great, but so does one slice of cookie cake.

My question is this: if I cheat, will my post-induction stall start all over again? I have tried keto before and cheated probably once every 2 weeks or so (like a bad LCHF-er) and eventually gave up because the scale never moved after the first week.

I figure the responses will be "don't cheat" as well as "not sure about if it resets." I'll probably have to start cutting cheese and working out more, since my calories are still probably too high. I'm not doing a great job of counting them strictly.
leblair is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by leblair View Post
I figured P.I.S.S. is more of an Atkins thing, but I think I'm suffering from it.
Oh, I love that name! It fits so well....I've been struggling with it too, and I've been on NK for 5 weeks now. I lost 6 lbs. in the first 3 weeks, and after that NOTHING. I know it happens every time I start over (which is why I need to not go off plan), and the only thing for it is patience and sticking to the plan. It's just so hard to deal with the self-denial when there's no progress on the scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leblair View Post
The thing is, my birthday is this weekend. I can't decide if I want to indulge or not. I mean, a big steak sounds great, but so does one slice of cookie cake.
As someone who has made the mistake several times this last year of cheating, I advise you not to do it. I went off NK in June and gained 17 lbs. in 6 weeks. It's September and I've only lost 6 lbs. of the weight. It never comes off again as quickly as it goes on. You will have to go through induction all over again, with the Atkins 'flu to boot. On top of that, it can take a while to get back to losing again. Find a way to make a LC birthday cake, and enjoy it, but don't shoot yourself in the foot for your birthday.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
MerryKate has it right.... it is shooting yourself in the foot. Some of us have learned that thehard way and that it can take you very far off plan and make it exceedingly difficult to get back on and then to have all of those lbs. regained and then some (in my case). But it seems we all need to learn by making our own mistakes. Just realize and keep in mind, your ultimate goals.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Why not make a LC cookie cake and enjoy? You can google alldayidreamaboutfood for some great LC,,GF cookie and cake recipes. I refuse to feel deprived so I don't. Having my sweet treats on hand is crucial to not falling off the wagon.

I want to add one more thing. I know that conventional wisdom says to eat less and exercise more, but since you are here I am assuming that conventional wisdom didnt help you. My suggestion would be to cut out the exercise and just focus on what you are eating. Are you getting enough calories?? That is very important. You want to figure out your carb and protein levels, then finish off the rest of your calories with fat. There is no way to eat LC, moderate protein, and NOT eat plenty of fat. If my calories go below 1500 calories, I will stop losing.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Energy22
Stats: 191.5/176.5/127
WOE: Low Carb/Moderate Protein/High Fat
Start Date: 8/25/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
It never comes off again as quickly as it goes on.
This. Sad, unfair, but true.
Energy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Why not make a LC cookie cake and enjoy?
I vote for SF cheesecake...you get a long of bang for your buck, and the carbs are pretty low. The really nice thing is, most people will not realize you're serving them low-carb fare.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote