Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Did you have to completely change your thinking?

I was wondering if anyone had to completely change their thinking when they had to start eating to stay in NK. For example, I used to load up my plate with veggies at dinner thinking by doing so it would help me to feel full and stop me from overeating later. ? Now I realize I was probably shooting myself in the foot with that strategy. Because veggies have no fat in them, it was probably just doing the opposite, especially since the fibre slows down digestion and prevents the nutrients from hitting the bloodstream.....and unless you are using a lot of high fat sauces on your veggies, there are very few nutrients (calories) in veggies anyways. So you are starving yourself by say eating a salad with a low fat dressing on it (one of my past favourites)

Anyone else come to type of realization......that what you were doing before might been all wrong and you have to really shift your thinking, just curious.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Not really. I was already eating what I needed to in order to be in NK, and 2002 DANDR pretty much laid out the format I needed. The only thing I needed to change was to make sure I was getting enough protein every day once I was clear about my body composition. I used to have days where I wasn't eating enough overall, so when my jot so hungry days came, I focused on eating protein first, rather than just keeping my carbs low enough, and eating whatever. Does that make sense?

I didn't approach Atkins/NK with the idea that vegetables should or could be a free food, though.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Ketosis has become my # 1 objective where as weight loss is now #2.

Whatever weight I have lost and continue to lose needs to be sustainable - 100%. There is no point in trying to eat in a way that I am not fully on board with for all the right reasons. I believe I have found that with N.K..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Even before I started NK in July 2012, I was already eating very low carb. When I started NK, I ate even less carbs. Like someone else said above, I never saw veggies as a free food, even when I started Atkins in March 2009. I had to stay really low carb then, too.

I have never seen success with carbs any higher than 25 grams or so.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Yes, I had to have a big huge paradigm shift in every way in which I thought of food. I had to completely retrain my whole thinking process, because I was a sweet-aholic and ate nothing but processed sweet sugary and carby food all the time. Once I became an adult I never ate veggies and everything bad for you I ate. I changed my whole thinking process and how I viewed food and now I prefer veggies and real food to anything else and don't even want sweets anymore. My body is not used to it anymore. But yeah I had to retrain my whole thought process and I think that's the important part, changing the inside in order to change the outside. I had to retrain myself on portion size and everything.

~The woman came from a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under his arm to be protected, and next to his heart to be loved. ~

Last edited by ~PaperMoon~; 09-11-2013 at 05:58 PM..
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Before, I was already familiar with Atkins and LC, but after reading more and more about LCHF, I shifted my dietary focus from mainly protein to more fat and less protein. It has certainly taught me about hunger, knowing when enough is enough and it has taught me how great fat is.

Because I knew about LC as such, I didn't have to change my thinking really. Just the fat bit!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
WOE: Healthy LCHF
Start Date: To Be Determined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Before, I was already familiar with Atkins and LC, but after reading more and more about LCHF, I shifted my dietary focus from mainly protein to more fat and less protein. It has certainly taught me about hunger, knowing when enough is enough and it has taught me how great fat is.

Because I knew about LC as such, I didn't have to change my thinking really. Just the fat bit!
EXACTLY my thoughts as well!
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I was wondering if anyone had to completely change their thinking when they had to start eating to stay in NK. For example, I used to load up my plate with veggies at dinner thinking by doing so it would help me to feel full and stop me from overeating later. ? Now I realize I was probably shooting myself in the foot with that strategy. Because veggies have no fat in them, it was probably just doing the opposite, especially since the fibre slows down digestion and prevents the nutrients from hitting the bloodstream.....and unless you are using a lot of high fat sauces on your veggies, there are very few nutrients (calories) in veggies anyways. So you are starving yourself by say eating a salad with a low fat dressing on it (one of my past favourites)

Anyone else come to type of realization......that what you were doing before might been all wrong and you have to really shift your thinking, just curious.

Definitely. I also thought that eating a lot of vegetable was good for me, not realizing that they might actually be raising my blood sugar levels and making me more hungry. They definitely do not fill a person up. I could eat them all day and feel hungry all day. Also I did not realize that adding fat to the diet would make me feel so good. I never cut my fat like a lot of people do when trying to lose weight, but adding more is so good. Also how good I feel by not eating grains is a good thing. My brain fog is gone, and my body does not hurt like it used to. I also gave up nightshade vegetables, and I feel so much better. Of course that means no salsa or hot sauce, but it is worth it.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Moving from LC to NK , I really learned importance of protein! I dont think I was eating adequate protein all of the time while losing weight though certainly I ate fat. I had to change my thinking from "weight loss" to "health." They are not the same concept. There are many ways to lose weight. Weight loss CAN be a side effect of healthy eating and so can weight gain! The concept that the purpose of healthy eating is for weight loss was the hardest to overcome.

By eating enough protein, then fat and then good veggies, my body has changed. I look and feel stronger..my muscles are harder and my face more "full"

Unfortunately, I am not able to stay in a keto-adapted state while trying out a new medication, though I'm staying low carb. I just need to make sure I am not ketogenic as I need to have my blood monitored for PH levels to see how it affects me.

After adapting to this medication for a few months, I will be going back to NK while having my blood monitored by a physician.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
Moving from LC to NK , I really learned importance of protein! I dont think I was eating adequate protein all of the time while losing weight though certainly I ate fat. I had to change my thinking from "weight loss" to "health." They are not the same concept. There are many ways to lose weight. Weight loss CAN be a side effect of healthy eating and so can weight gain! The concept that the purpose of healthy eating is for weight loss was the hardest to overcome.

By eating enough protein, then fat and then good veggies, my body has changed. I look and feel stronger..my muscles are harder and my face more "full"

Unfortunately, I am not able to stay in a keto-adapted state while trying out a new medication, though I'm staying low carb. I just need to make sure I am not ketogenic as I need to have my blood monitored for PH levels to see how it affects me.

After adapting to this medication for a few months, I will be going back to NK while having my blood monitored by a physician.
Wow, you brought up some interesting points here. It is more about healthy eating, not about weight loss. I didn't really make that connection either until I started trying to maintain my weight. To avoid overeating you have to be eating healthy, and in that process my health is also improving. My immune system is slowly being restored for example and I am very happy about that.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

And I should mention I am not doing it through eating more whole grains and veggies! LOL