Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/22/11
Need high fat smoothie ideas - but there's a catch!

Hi all,

I'm scouring the web for high fat smoothie ideas but they all have one thing in common - heavy cream! I am fairly certain that heavy cream and I do not mix well, as much as I do love the taste. So I am looking for ways to create high fat, low carb smoothies that are dairy free.

Currently I make what I call Bulletproof Cocoa, which is a variation on Bulletproof Coffee (google it) since I don't drink coffee. Here is the general formula:

16 oz almond milk
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons coconut oil (I use refined as the virgin tastes too strong for me, though certainly the virgin is better)
1 tablespoon MCT oil
1 - 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Flavored sugar free syrup to taste

I heat the first 3 ingredients in the microwave, then transfer to the blender, add the cocoa, MCT and sweetener and blend until combined.

This is probably the best tasting hot chocolate I've ever had, but I've had it 1-2x a day for quite some time and it's getting boring. I'm looking for something different and would appreciate your suggestions as always!

Mike
miker295 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Trader Joe's has canned coconut cream which substitutes nicely for heavy cream.

To best approximate whipping cream, draining them works best, but for smoothies you could use the coconut product as is without draining.

To drain, chill the can well before you open it. Scoop out the thick white cream and discard the little bit of water remaining in the bottom.
You can also do this with grocery store coconut milk, but there's more water in those.

I made a couple recipes yesterday and subbed this for heavy cream, and it worked very well.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Could you add some other flavours to your hot chocolate in the form of essences or spices? Or do the sugar free syrups cover all the flavours you may want/need?
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
You could do a variation of your chocolate shake and do a vanilla shake. If you can get access to farm fresh eggs, they are great in smoothies. They give it a rich, creamy texture. Add some vanilla extract. Coconut milk sounds yummy to me too.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I use the Whole Foods brand of coconut cream. It is nice and think and doesn't separate. I open it and put in a glass bottle with either stevia and vanilla extract or vanilla DaVincis. I put it is coffee instead of cream, and it is really good in a smoothie or protein shake.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
I drink a HF smoothie everyday.I use HWC however sometimes I get bored and use coconut milk instead.there is also coconut cream now available in So delicious brand.I plan to blog my recipes sometime,but here is one that has no hwc
1/2 can coconut cream
1/2 can coconut milk
2 tsp mascarpone cheese
1 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp coffee instant powder
sweetener to taste
blend all and enjoy
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miker295
Start Date: 5/22/11
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely try out the coconut cream. I've heard from some that the cream should be chilled and then scooped out - do you all use the full can or do you chill and scoop?
miker295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terrik
Stats: 147
WOE: Atkins Fat Fast
Start Date: August 2013
Adding fat to smoothie

I add avacado, and have also tried cream cheese. Both are fine. I also have some sunflower oil I was going to try. I make a mocha using the Big Train mix (only 2 carb) and I add coffee, a bit of almond milk, whipping cream, and other fats. It is great!
terrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miker295 View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely try out the coconut cream. I've heard from some that the cream should be chilled and then scooped out - do you all use the full can or do you chill and scoop?
I use the whole can, and mix it well before pouring it. I also buy the highest fat coconut cream I can find. If you have access to an asian market, some of the filipino brands are lower in sugar and higher in fat than the brands widely available in the US. I really like Royal Blossom, which is 18 g fat and 2 g carbs in 1/2 cup.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
I am not sure if there is actually a difference between coconut cream and coconut milk.The pulp of coconut(the white flesh) is what is juiced.The first milk is creamier and fatter and the second and third round are more watery.I used to do this by buying fresh coconuts and make it from scratch.but now with little ones,its so hard going through all that trouble.
I have tried a few coconut creams on the market,they are mostly gimmicks,adding thickeners to plain coconut milk.
The SO delicious brand has a coconut cream now,not in the refrigerator section this has very high fat and was delicious in my smoothies.I get it from Whole foods.I also use the native forest brand coconut milk.I always use 1/2 can since full can is too much to drink at one sitting.CHAOKO brand is good and thick but I reserve that only for curries.
Another one I like so far is unsweetened one from SO delicious and it has green color package.all their other ones are high in carbs.
Mascarpone cheese,ricotta,cream cheese and nut butters are also great for adding to high fat smoothies.although i reserve them for treats only
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote