Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Blood ketones of 0.4 mM

So, I checked my blood ketones last Monday morning (Sept 2) and this morning (Sept 7) and both times they were 0.4 mM. I assume they will go up later in the day, but obviously this is below the "nutritonal ketosis" level. I did eat "more" calorie-wise this week but only went over my protein goal one day (I try to get between 75 - 100 g, based on my estimated lean body mass from the Keto Calculator). I did eat 57 g carbs yesterday, which is VERY high and unusual for me, but 27 g was fiber (also high for me) and there were a few grams of sugar alcohols (malitol) in there as well - I had an Atkins bar which I only eat about once a month max. A few weeks ago I had a 0.8 mM reading in the morning but I hadn't checked again since then. I am losing weight (not quickly, but losing 1-2 lbs. a week). Any feedback on this? I assume 0.4 mM means I am still in ketosis, just not optimally. Would consistent low readings mean I risk not being keto-adapted? I will check the ketones again tomorrow. I guess I'm just not sure when I should start "tweaking", or if it is even necessary if I am feeling good and losing weight.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
My blood ketones in the morning are usually between 0.3 and 0.4, even days when I feel perfectly satisfied. I have tried taking them later in the day and they seem to go up, but overnight they go back down. I think would probably have to get up in the middle of the night and eat something with a lot of fat to get better readings. I don't really worry about it all that much because I feel ok and am not over-eating which means I am most likely in ketosis. However if YOU are worried about it you could going for something with MCTs in it first thing in the morning or supplement in the middle of the night. Coconut oil is probably better than MCT oil because it has a better balance of the fats. But either one might do the trick.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
So, I checked my blood ketones last Monday morning (Sept 2) and this morning (Sept 7) and both times they were 0.4 mM. I assume they will go up later in the day, but obviously this is below the "nutritonal ketosis" level. I did eat "more" calorie-wise this week but only went over my protein goal one day (I try to get between 75 - 100 g, based on my estimated lean body mass from the Keto Calculator). I did eat 57 g carbs yesterday, which is VERY high and unusual for me, but 27 g was fiber (also high for me) and there were a few grams of sugar alcohols (malitol) in there as well - I had an Atkins bar which I only eat about once a month max. A few weeks ago I had a 0.8 mM reading in the morning but I hadn't checked again since then. I am losing weight (not quickly, but losing 1-2 lbs. a week). Any feedback on this? I assume 0.4 mM means I am still in ketosis, just not optimally. Would consistent low readings mean I risk not being keto-adapted? I will check the ketones again tomorrow. I guess I'm just not sure when I should start "tweaking", or if it is even necessary if I am feeling good and losing weight.
To your last question....it really depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to acheive keto adaptation for the only purpose of weight loss, then I would simply continue on. If you have other reasons, then you would need to do some refinements and I think you have answered the issues that would likely help with this.

The amount of protein may be an issue depending on your individual stats. For instance, I am post meno and I need to keep my protein below 60g.

Carbs are critical to maintaining ketosis for me and I count all carbs (with the exception of avocados - otherwise, I would never eat them and I think they are a really good food source). But even then, I have to keep my carbs below 20g total grams.

Then there is the issue of perhaps 'floating in and out of ketosis' and how that may make you feel. Some will have induction flu like symptoms - some, none. Another YMMV.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote