Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: August 2013
Low Carb Yogurt

Kroger has a brand of yogurt that is called carbmaster yogurt. It has 4 carbs with 3 of those carbs being sugar. I was wondering if any one eats yogurt (low carb yogurt or any kind). I haven't had yogurt in a long time but I was curious about the low carb kind. I have had it for about two weeks but have been too scared to eat it. I worry that it might stall weight loss or trigger cravings. But I also think yogurt would taste good because sometimes the high fat meals just "feel heavy" if that makes sense.

Just wondering what general thoughts on yogurt are.
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moss11
Hi
I use Fage Total Greek yogurt. For 30g you get one carb and three of protein! It is of course full fat and quite satisfying, nice to finish dinner off! The more options we have the better!
Moss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
You can just try it and see how you react to it. Only buy one though.

I don't do yogurt anymore. It will only be a rare food item for me. Both yogurt and cottage cheese seemed to trigger me and make me want carbs. Part of the problem also is that I like both of them with fresh fruit, and I've given up fruit in any quantity. Nothing is yummier than a bowl of full fat cottage cheese and gobs of strawberries.

The few recipes we have that call for yogurt, I now just use sour cream. Which is so much like full fat greek yogurt.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

I ate it last night. It was good but I can see how it might make me crave sweet things. I think it's best for me to stay away from sweets regardless of the carb count.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I make my own and make it with half cream half full fat raw milk. I then let some of the whey (which I use for making cultured mayo for example) drip out. I am left with the most creamy thick yogurt, which I usually mix with soured cream to improve the ratios a bit more.

I eat mine with coconut oil and almond butter. Very good and not too bad carb-wise.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
If I buy yogurt, I get the highest fat content and then strain it through a seive lined with a basket style coffee filter. This reduces the yogurt to almost half but the whey contains the majority of the carbs. It is basically making Greek yogurt.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I just read elsewhere about enhancing greek yogurt by adding a lot of HWC to it. Not only does it amp up the fat content and the satisfaction level, it takes away some of the twangy flavor. I might get some to mix up with vanilla and sweetener, as I've been thinking about adding yogurt back in to my OWLish approach.

The poster elsewhere said it was 2 parts greek and 1 part HWC, then vanilla extract and liquid sucralose or stevia or a mixture. Lots of people came in to thank her for the recipe, so I guess they thought it was good.

Last edited by emel; 09-05-2013 at 06:11 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moss11
Mixing it does make it more interesting! I am currently mixing 3 parts Greek yogurt to one part Mascarpone plus some cocoa powder! Satisfying and delicious.
Moss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I just read elsewhere about enhancing greek yogurt by adding a lot of HWC to it. Not only does it amp up the fat content and the satisfaction level, it takes away some of the twangy flavor.
Yes, I found that a while back on the Diet Doctor's website (he's a swedish doctor who advocates LCHF). He suggested it as a breakfast, but his recipe included nuts, seeds and small amounts of berries if your system can handle them. I usually mix full-fat Greek Gods yogurt with 2 TB HWC, one True Orange packet and 10 pecan halves. It's very satisfying, and a quick way to get breakfast together. Because of the carbs in the whey, I do limit it to every other day.

Getting back to the original post, I also occasionally buy the Carbmaster yogurt (as a convenience food), but it's fat-free and really not satisfying. Definitely mix it with HWC or another oil...at 60 calories a cup, you're not getting much by way of nutrients. Given a choice, you're really better off getting Greek yogurt and mixing your own flavors with SF syrups or jams.

Last edited by MerryKate; 09-10-2013 at 12:01 AM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I did a half cup serving of full fat yogurt every so often the first time I did Atkins, and I was okay with it. But this time around (much older, not as healthy, have to be stricter in general), I'm holding off on the yogurt while I'm in weight loss mode.

When I'm maintaining, I'll add it back.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

thanks everyone. I will try mixing some yogurt with hwc.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
WOE: Healthy LCHF
Start Date: To Be Determined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
I make my own and make it with half cream half full fat raw milk. I then let some of the whey (which I use for making cultured mayo for example) drip out. I am left with the most creamy thick yogurt, which I usually mix with soured cream to improve the ratios a bit more.

I eat mine with coconut oil and almond butter. Very good and not too bad carb-wise.
Oh you are a bird of a feather! I am FINALLY going to try some raw milk soon [only took 6 years to find a source!] and I also make homemade mayo, mustard, etc., and lacto ferment veggies, milk kefir, yogurt ... although it's been awhile with the kefir & yogurt. I love sour cream and cream cheese and would like to try to make my own one day soon, too! I'm also an avid eater of coconut creme and coconut oil!

My favorite store bought yogurt and the only one I've found that has full fat, is the Greek Gods brand. Too carby for me now, tho, at 5g per 1/2 cup. I'm just starting and am trying to keep the carbs under 20 a day.

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds all our understand.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stawalke View Post
thanks everyone. I will try mixing some yogurt with hwc.
Ok, drawing a blank ... hwc is???
Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
HWC = heavy whipping cream
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
HWC = heavy whipping cream
Thank you! I have been wanting to buy some HWC but the price is a lot higher than a few years ago! HOLY COW!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
Oh you are a bird of a feather! I am FINALLY going to try some raw milk soon [only took 6 years to find a source!] and I also make homemade mayo, mustard, etc., and lacto ferment veggies, milk kefir, yogurt ... although it's been awhile with the kefir & yogurt. I love sour cream and cream cheese and would like to try to make my own one day soon, too! I'm also an avid eater of coconut creme and coconut oil!

My favorite store bought yogurt and the only one I've found that has full fat, is the Greek Gods brand. Too carby for me now, tho, at 5g per 1/2 cup. I'm just starting and am trying to keep the carbs under 20 a day.
I know!!!! After reading Nourishing Traditions I changed my eating and started to try and make more from scratch. Love it!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/138.1/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
I make my own yougurt, though I haven't done it with HWC yet. I just use full fat milk, then I strain out the weigh till it's a solid cheese. This I mix in with the store bought yogurt half ratio. For me it reduces the sweet taste, increases the protein and fat and I get two servings of flavored yogurt for each I buy.

My favorite flavor was Kroger Lite Apple Pie, but I think they have pulled it.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

I finally got around to trying the full-fat Greek yogurt. I mixed 1/2 c Greek yogurt with 1tablespoon of heaving mixing cream, 1tsp of vanilla extract and one packet of splenda. It was very good! But now I am feeling guilty because there are 7 carbs total. I also had quite a bit of cauliflower today so I am worried about how many carbs I ate. But this yogurt was delicious and I will keep it in mind as an occasional treat.