Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Upper end protein requirement? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/811280-upper-end-protein-requirement.html)

Punkin 09-02-2013 04:34 AM

Upper end protein requirement?

Phinney and Volek recommend 1 to 1.5g of protein per kg of ideal body weight. Do they include athletes in that category, does anyone know? What is the maximum range that you can go and still be in NK? Do they have an absolute max?

RebeccaLatham 09-06-2013 05:51 AM

I guess nobody knows the answer to your question. Have you looked in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance?

AnnetteW 09-06-2013 02:09 PM

I really don't know my range yet. Since I started testing with the Precision Xtra I am always in ketosis, and with urine testing too. I probably average about 75-80 g of protein, sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm not counting right now though.

Since I haven't allowed myself to go out of ketosis, I really don't have any answers. I just don't eat any grains or sugars (if possible), keep veggies on the lower end, and try not to overeat.

I'm thinking one (i.e. me) has to eat an awful lot of protein to go out of ketosis. But every single one of us is totally different.

Ntombi 09-06-2013 02:22 PM

I don't know if they include athletes, I can't remember.

I don't know my max, but I've eaten up to 180g in a day and still been above 0.5.

My loose protein goal is 120g/day, as I have 154 lbs of LBM and a goal weight of 195.

Aomiel 09-07-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16585558)
Phinney and Volek recommend 1 to 1.5g of protein per kg of ideal body weight. Do they include athletes in that category, does anyone know? What is the maximum range that you can go and still be in NK? Do they have an absolute max?

I'm going to guess it varies by individual and you may not know without actually buying a meter to check yours. I thought about getting a meter, but if they have the same problem as glucose meters (legally allowed to have a +/- of 15%), I figured why waste the money.

Punkin 09-07-2013 03:10 PM

Currently my diet is pretty high in protein, 90 - 110grams a day. My carbs are around 27g and my fat is around 85 grams a day. I don't really know if I am in ketosis because my ketones get high during the day and dip down low over night. I don't know if I would be considered in NK or not because some mornings I am as low as 0.3mmol.

MerryKate 09-08-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16594505)
I don't know if I would be considered in NK or not because some mornings I am as low as 0.3mmol.

As I understand it, the low end of fasting blood ketone levels for ketosis is 0.5mmol so you may be falling out of it overnight. I did a lot of testing in the past, and found I can eat up to 1.4 g protein without going out of ketosis, but I usually don't lose weight in that range. YMMV