Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   New to NK - question about ketosticks vs blood ketones (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/811225-new-nk-question-about-ketosticks-vs-blood-ketones.html)

DebbyCDA 09-01-2013 06:55 AM

New to NK - question about ketosticks vs blood ketones

Good morning!

I listen to Jimmy Moore (LLVLC) and others, and have decided on a NK WOE/WOL. Normally I try to eat LC-ish (if given the option of french fries vs seasonal grilled veggies, I'll take the veggies =} ), but I think I need more than that.

I started NK eating last Monday, and thanks to Cron-O-Meter, tracked my averages at about 2000cal/day, 90g pro, 46g carb/36g net carbs, and 160g fat. The carbs actually surprised me, but one evening, I made GF chocolate chip cookies for dd to take to work...and my willpower was very low. LOL So even with those not-so-good numbers, I'm down 1 lb for my first week. Was hoping for more but I'll take it! My goal is 1500-1800cal, 70-80 pro, 20 carb, and no real limit on fat.

I've used the Reli-On ketosticks every morning to track my progress. I've been either small/moderate every time - except the morning after the cookie downfall. I'm still on the fence about the blood ketone monitoring, mainly about the costs involved. In your experience, are the ketosticks fairly accurate and useful? What are the pros and cons of each?

I've read other threads that some people say it takes them days/weeks to get into ketosis. Are the readings I'm getting a false-positive? How do my numbers look to those of you who have done NK WOE for a while now?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I know it's long with a lot of questions, but while I'm not new to LC/Atkins, NK is. Thanks for any and all help, advice and guidance! I'm looking forward to making lots of new friends here! Have a great day!

Debby

clackley 09-01-2013 07:26 AM

Welcome Debby! Hope you find N.K. a good experience.

The ketostix are okay for giving a positive reading but they are notorious for giving false negatives. The reason is that they test for 1 of the 3 types of ketones and those are ketones that are being 'spilled' as they often are in the initial stages of becoming keto adapted. Once fully adapted, you may not continue to get positive readings.

I think you can do fine without the expense of a blood ketone meter so long as you are getting the results you want (i.e. weight loss). If you find that you are not, then it is time to look into investing the $.

withlime81 09-01-2013 07:59 PM

Hey Debbie! I am in the same boat! I just started this past Tuesday and have stayed under 20g of carbs every day except the past two days. Out of curiosity, I did a ketostix test and came out moderate. I can't imagine I am in ketosis already. I was really confused about the whole situation. Also, Im in Virginia as well!

Ntombi 09-01-2013 08:24 PM

It only takes most people 3-4 days to get into ketosis, so I'm not surprised you're testing positive.

The ketostix are much more likely to give a false negative than a false positive, and the longer you stay on plan, the more likely you are to get a false negative.

I use the blood ketone meter very rarely. I can see how it would be helpful to those still learning their bodies and how they need to eat to be in ketosis. I've been doing this long enough that I know how to eat and I know that I stay well within my limits, so I don't feel the need to test out of anything except curiosity. But it you're not sure, I would spend the money on ten or twenty strips in the beginning.

DebbyCDA 09-02-2013 03:40 AM

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I'll take your advice and just keep with the ketosticks for now. Once they aren't showing the result I need, then I'll get the blood monitor.

On a neat side note, I usually don't weigh but once a week, but curiosity got the best of me this morning, and I weighed again. I'm down 3 lbs from yesterday! LOL Shows how weird our bodies can be sometimes. The combined 4 lbs feels more reasonable for how I've eaten this week vs the 1 lb reading I got yesterday.

I did find I will need to take apple cider vinegar for a little while. Have been noticing some heartburn, and the acv with a couple of papaya enzyme tablets did the trick. I'm sure my digestion is screwed up from years of PPI meds.

Again, THANKS! I hope to be able to offer the same support and encouragement to others! Have a great day!

WithLime81 -where in Va are you? I'm in the Piedmont, close to NoVa. =}