Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   High Fat NK 80/15/5 - September Version (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/811223-high-fat-nk-80-15-5-september-version.html)

AnnetteW 09-01-2013 06:27 AM

High Fat NK 80/15/5 - September Version

Come join us for a little NK chit chat this month, share what's on your mind, rant a bit and cheer one another on.

AnnetteW 09-01-2013 06:32 AM

I've been feeling a bit guilty since lunch yesterday.

I ate my normal breakfast of coffee, hwc, 3 eggs and butter, but never was satisfied. I was actually hungry, body hunger. I've been increasing my exercise and did an hour long walk right before.

We ended up eating out for lunch at a Mexican restaurant, and I probably ate about 10 tortilla chips. Seriously, I haven't eaten that kind of carbs in 4 months.

I felt so guilty.

Even after my lunch (taco salad, no shell or beans) I was still hungry that afternoon and ate lots of sunflower seeds. Dinner was small stirfry.

This morning I had my highest ketone reading of 3.3.

I just now checked the carbs in 10 tortilla chips, only 11 grams. I guess that wasn't the end of the world after all

I truly never know what to expect.

iamkathy01 09-01-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteW (Post 16584355)
I've been feeling a bit guilty since lunch yesterday.

I ate my normal breakfast of coffee, hwc, 3 eggs and butter, but never was satisfied. I was actually hungry, body hunger. I've been increasing my exercise and did an hour long walk right before.

We ended up eating out for lunch at a Mexican restaurant, and I probably ate about 10 tortilla chips. Seriously, I haven't eaten that kind of carbs in 4 months.

I felt so guilty.

Even after my lunch (taco salad, no shell or beans) I was still hungry that afternoon and ate lots of sunflower seeds. Dinner was small stirfry.

This morning I had my highest ketone reading of 3.3.

I just now checked the carbs in 10 tortilla chips, only 11 grams. I guess that wasn't the end of the world after all

I truly never know what to expect.

Annette did you get that expected drop in weight after it went up???? Kathy

itsmeshelly01 09-01-2013 03:34 PM

hey guys. going to try ot keep chugging on in the nk thread. I may lower my fat a little for a little while though and see how i do. I bought some bacon ends and pieces at the store yesterday and am going to make a big quiche for the week for breakfast. Then i wont have to think about breakfast. Im thinking 8 eggs, bacon ends and pieces, onion, a little cheddar, and i probably mix in a couple tablespoons of coconut flour to help it hold together well.
Make into 4 servings. That will be 2 eggs and bacon for breakfast everyday.
Im putting 2 chicken leg quarters in the crockpot tomorrow with a little chicken broth, some coconut milk, curry spices, paprika and red robin seasoning. Should be really good. I'll shred that and have it for lunch at work with maybe a boiled egg and some zucchini.
I'll do tuna with mayo for dinner. i think that is a good plan for the week.

We will see what happens. I have greek yogurt for snacks if i need it. And lots of water with sliced cucumber and lemon.

I know how you have felt today with being hungry and the carbs. I ate that dang bday cake!!!
The ribs were so good from texas roadhouse. Best beef ribs around!!!

cfine 09-01-2013 06:04 PM

I haven't been to this thread in a while. I've been eating this way for a while now, and it's the best WOE for me. I will try to post here this month to try and keep my motivation high. I had a couple of yucky food days Friday and Saturday. My best friend is getting married and we had a girls weekend away. I try not to have feeling of shame or guilt when I make a decision to eat off plan. It is what it is. I will feel yucky for a couple of days and then all will be well. I figure I could have already been close to my goal by now, but I am happy with my choices. Five pounds per month and being happy is better than ten pounds per month and being miserable.

Here's hoping for a good month to everyone. It's a big month of holidays for the Jews. Hey, at least I will get a day of fasting in this month. Seriously, it's my favorite time of the year!!

DebbyCDA 09-02-2013 05:17 AM

:)I'm kinda partial to September - not just that it's my birth month, but of all that is September: back to school/work, the normalcy and routine of daily life after the frantic 'what now' of summer, the changing weather, the anticipation of the coming holidays, etc. I see the fall and winter as a time of change - and this year, it is a change to "me." :jumpjoy:

I'm knocking on the door of the big 5-0. My dd has now finally graduated college (she worked full time while being a commuter student, so it took a bit longer than average), and my dh passed a few years ago. Now, it's time for "ME". In a few weeks, I'll be taking a new set of courses at a local college to further my career. I'm taking charge of my health and what *I* put in *my* own mouth. I'm asking more politely but forcefully at restaurants to get what I know is better for me. I'm bringing dishes to share to family and church gatherings so I know I can eat and participate fully. I'm not listening to those who believe the lies of the SAD (low fat, 'healthy whole grains', processed foods).

Let them think I'm weird - who cares? I only care about my health numbers, that I feel good and am looking better. Got a long way to go but I will get there. I will make mistakes. I will slip up. I will participate in celebrations and be off plan for a few hours occasionally. That's okay - that's life - we must participate in life, otherwise life isn't worth living. I LOVE Christmas (could you tell??) and I'm already planning on how to incorporate this WOL/WOE into all that is Christmas.

This is my time, and I'm looking forward to the challenges, the rewards, and the promise of what life has to bring. HUGS to all!:hugs:

AnnetteW 09-02-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamkathy01 (Post 16584816)
Annette did you get that expected drop in weight after it went up???? Kathy

I sure did, then it went up again yesterday, but back down today. So now to say in the 146's for a week or so (my routine) and then drop again. Yea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 16585054)
hey guys. going to try ot keep chugging on in the nk thread. I may lower my fat a little for a little while though and see how i do. I bought some bacon ends and pieces at the store yesterday and am going to make a big quiche for the week for breakfast. Then i wont have to think about breakfast. Im thinking 8 eggs, bacon ends and pieces, onion, a little cheddar, and i probably mix in a couple tablespoons of coconut flour to help it hold together well.
Make into 4 servings. That will be 2 eggs and bacon for breakfast everyday.
Im putting 2 chicken leg quarters in the crockpot tomorrow with a little chicken broth, some coconut milk, curry spices, paprika and red robin seasoning. Should be really good. I'll shred that and have it for lunch at work with maybe a boiled egg and some zucchini.
I'll do tuna with mayo for dinner. i think that is a good plan for the week.

We will see what happens. I have greek yogurt for snacks if i need it. And lots of water with sliced cucumber and lemon.

I know how you have felt today with being hungry and the carbs. I ate that dang bday cake!!!
The ribs were so good from texas roadhouse. Best beef ribs around!!!

Oh no...birthday cake! I had a teenie tiny taste of cheesecake last night and immediately said I shouldn't have done that, and whooshed out my mouth with water. Wowzer, yummy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16585224)
I haven't been to this thread in a while. I've been eating this way for a while now, and it's the best WOE for me. I will try to post here this month to try and keep my motivation high. I had a couple of yucky food days Friday and Saturday. My best friend is getting married and we had a girls weekend away. I try not to have feeling of shame or guilt when I make a decision to eat off plan. It is what it is. I will feel yucky for a couple of days and then all will be well. I figure I could have already been close to my goal by now, but I am happy with my choices. Five pounds per month and being happy is better than ten pounds per month and being miserable.

Here's hoping for a good month to everyone. It's a big month of holidays for the Jews. Hey, at least I will get a day of fasting in this month. Seriously, it's my favorite time of the year!!

If you are losing 5lbs/month and not totally on plan, you are doing great. Enjoy your weekend with the girls, those are important things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbyCDA (Post 16585626)
:)I'm kinda partial to September - not just that it's my birth month, but of all that is September: back to school/work, the normalcy and routine of daily life after the frantic 'what now' of summer, the changing weather, the anticipation of the coming holidays, etc. I see the fall and winter as a time of change - and this year, it is a change to "me." :jumpjoy:

I'm knocking on the door of the big 5-0. My dd has now finally graduated college (she worked full time while being a commuter student, so it took a bit longer than average), and my dh passed a few years ago. Now, it's time for "ME". In a few weeks, I'll be taking a new set of courses at a local college to further my career. I'm taking charge of my health and what *I* put in *my* own mouth. I'm asking more politely but forcefully at restaurants to get what I know is better for me. I'm bringing dishes to share to family and church gatherings so I know I can eat and participate fully. I'm not listening to those who believe the lies of the SAD (low fat, 'healthy whole grains', processed foods).

Let them think I'm weird - who cares? I only care about my health numbers, that I feel good and am looking better. Got a long way to go but I will get there. I will make mistakes. I will slip up. I will participate in celebrations and be off plan for a few hours occasionally. That's okay - that's life - we must participate in life, otherwise life isn't worth living. I LOVE Christmas (could you tell??) and I'm already planning on how to incorporate this WOL/WOE into all that is Christmas.

This is my time, and I'm looking forward to the challenges, the rewards, and the promise of what life has to bring. HUGS to all!:hugs:

You said so many nice things. Eating is very social, and we can just do our best.

I think a lot of people have a special feeling for September as it brings us feelings of a new start, remembering back to school. I love the change in the air, we get snippets of it. Thinking about college football, and parties.

I too just turned 50, 2 girls are now graduated from college and on to their own careers (son still at home). My husband died too, when I was only 34, I can relate. Doing things for yourself is so important. I'm remarried now, and still do for myself. I love to spend my free time knitting, it's my time.

As far as the holidays and this WOE, I think we need to take some of the focus off of food. But you can experiment in the kitchen too. I made a great cheesecake once, but I ate it all...and my cookies just are good enough. I don't feel artificial sweeteners cook up as I'd like. Find alternative types of cookies I guess, I need to work on it.

DebbyCDA 09-02-2013 08:58 AM

AnnetteW - you shouldn't feel "guilty." You didn't eat a whole bag, or say "oh well, might as well blow the whole day" and pig out. You realize how it made your body react. You learned. You move on. That's life. You still stayed true to your body and yourself. GREAT job!

itsmeshelly01 - that quiche idea is great! I was just thinking of what to make for quick breakfasts this week. Thanks!

cfine - 5 lbs a month is AWESOME! Keep it up! Ten would be amazing, but I'll take five! ;)

cfine 09-02-2013 09:10 AM

Hey Shelley, I always add a little HWC to my quiche. It just gives it so much richness. Now I'm in the mood for quiche. Maybe next week when I'm back to eating veggies I will make myself one.

I love September too. Fall is my absolute favorite time of the year. I bought some sugar free syrups in pumpkin pie and s'mores flavors and they are both so yummy.

Today has been a good day. My food is planned out, I made homemade soup for the rest of the family, and I cleaned out my frig.

itsmeshelly01 09-02-2013 09:52 AM

Hey eveyrone!! Looks like everyone has a great plan for September. I love September too. You can just taste that fall is coming!! Even in the midst of some really hot days we know it is coming!!!

I didnt end up making the quiche!! I got lazy! LOL i just threw all the bacon ends and pieces in the oven and let them. I let them sit on some paper towels for a little bit to dry out and am going to keep them in a baggie in the fridge for a nice salty snack when i need it. Its way better than beef jerky!!! it turned out really well. I think i have decided to do smoothies this week for breakfast and maybe lunch too. just to see if it can get things moving. They wont be really low calorie so i will still get good nutrition. Just hoping maybe the liquid will jumpstart things.

I have tons of protein so im thinking breakfast pumpkin smoothie! I'm ready for fall!!
almond milk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, cookies and cream protein, 1T coconut oil, beef gelatin, chia seeds and 1t maca.
Then lunch maybe a strawberry smoothie. They should be really low carb and enough calories to keep me satisfied. I am boiling eggs for snacks. And then im making 2 big chicken breasts with the skin in the crockpot, cooked in coconut milk and curry spices. That will be good for dinner with some salad.

Hoping for September to be a good month.
I hope everyone is having a great labor day.

iamkathy01 09-02-2013 10:00 AM

Making me hungry!

I've made these in the past couple weeks and they are AWESOME! Just have to be careful not to OVER eat them- I make mine in the shape of cheezits and I think they taste like them! I use Yellow Sharp Cheddar, ROOM Temperature and NOT pre-grated! Kathy

ZESTY CHEDDAR WAFERS
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, at room temperature *
3/4 cup almond flour, about 3 ounces
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt or other seasoning
1 pinch or up to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, optional

Put all of the ingredients in a food processor with the chopping blade in place. Process a minute or two until the mixture looks like Play-Doh that is just starting to dry out. It will look slightly crumbly, but if you can take a piece and roll it into a smooth ball with your hands, it's ready. Dump the dough out onto a large cutting board or work surface. Gather it up with your hands to make a smooth ball of dough that looks like orange Play-Doh. Divide the ball evenly in half, then divided each half in half again and so on until you have 16 pieces of dough.

Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners. Take each piece of dough and break it into three even little pieces of dough and place on baking sheets 6 across and 4 down. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and place back on sheet. Cover the balls with plastic wrap (you can use a small piece and move it around as needed) and take a baking powder can, that has about an 1/8" rim around the bottom, and press down firmly over each ball of dough. Be sure to press all the way down to the baking sheet. Peel off the plastic wrap and repeat until all the wafers have been shaped.

Bake at 300 about 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned, checking frequently after 15 minutes. If it seems like they've been in the oven long enough, yet are not very browned, they should at least feel crisp and hard when you tap them with your fingernail. If there is any give in the center, they are not done yet unless they are browned. Carefully remove them from baking sheet and cool completely on a rack. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.

Makes 48 wafers
Can be frozen

* Pre-shredded cheese will not work in this recipe. Also, make sure that your cheese is not cold at all before making the dough.

DebbyCDA 09-02-2013 10:22 AM

Kathy - THANK YOU! My dd is GF, MSG free, soy free, all kindsa free. Those wafers sound right up her alley. I will be making them this week.

Shelly - you're speaking my language! I love pumpkin-anything! One thing I'm gonna miss is Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes. I'd guess I'll try to make-your-own: hwc, pumpkin pie spice, stevia and coffee. Am I forgetting anything? I would rather not use the sf syrups unless I can find one with stevia.

iamkathy01 09-02-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbyCDA (Post 16586061)
Kathy - THANK YOU! My dd is GF, MSG free, soy free, all kindsa free. Those wafers sound right up her alley. I will be making them this week.

Shelly - you're speaking my language! I love pumpkin-anything! One thing I'm gonna miss is Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes. I'd guess I'll try to make-your-own: hwc, pumpkin pie spice, stevia and coffee. Am I forgetting anything? I would rather not use the sf syrups unless I can find one with stevia.

Debby you are sure welcome! Hope you DD LOVES them as much as I do! ;-)
That Latte sounds really good, might have to do that one! :-))

cfine 09-02-2013 06:23 PM

I bought some Toranis SF pumpkin pie syrup. I add it to my BPC and it is divine. I also bought the s'mores flavor and it is my favorite. Starbucks doesn't have anything on my drinks. HWC and butter make the best lattes.

stawalke 09-03-2013 04:32 AM

I am going to try the pumpkin pie spice this mornings. Sounds great!

AnnetteW 09-04-2013 04:32 AM

I can't believe we're having crisp cool mornings finally. How nice.

I got to drop my current weight down 1 lb in my stats, I love doing that.

Eating is going fine, nothing too exciting to report.

cfine 09-04-2013 07:43 PM

Just plugging along here. I ended up eating some type of eggs at every meal today. It's been a really weird day ending with my DD having to go to a surgeon to cut out a cyst on the back of her neck. The day started with taking my dad for a colonoscopy. Glad it's bed time.

stawalke 09-05-2013 04:38 AM

I have been down in weight the last few mornings.....yay!!! I am trying to think if anything is different. I haven't been have as much veggies these last few days. I will have to see what happens when I add them back in.

AnnetteW 09-05-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stawalke (Post 16590734)
I have been down in weight the last few mornings.....yay!!! I am trying to think if anything is different. I haven't been have as much veggies these last few days. I will have to see what happens when I add them back in.

Awesome and congrats.

My weight started with a 145 today, yea, so I'm sneaking down into new losses.

I'm not trying so hard right now, but definitely trying to not overeat. It's working right now.

iamkathy01 09-05-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stawalke (Post 16590734)

There are over HERE! PLEASE
come pick them up!
Kathy

AnnetteW 09-06-2013 04:24 AM

It's too quiet in here.

Any plans for the weekend? I'm still on a house painting mission.

Eats are still going well, my weight stayed down.

stawalke 09-06-2013 04:32 AM

I am down another pound this morning. Not sure what is going on.....but I will take it!!! :D

catjrow3 09-06-2013 08:48 AM

Hello girls, I am back!!

I think I am finally done traveling for a while... I hope.. I am actually kind of tired of it..

So I dont even want to talk about the scale... its definitely not my friend right now, all my own fault though.

I started back on high fat/low carb yesterday. I had 25% protein, 75% fat, no carbs.. (yeah me :jumpjoy:) haha! Today.... off to the same meal plan. I ate 1193 yesterday, so not high calories either, and I started up a stringenet new exercise program combining cardio/weights and walking. I am determined now!! Darn it!! LOL

Will wait at least a week to test ketones again, at least 2 days before testing urine ketones, but hopefully the lower calories and no carbs/low carbs will get me back in the groove!!

Missed reading and chatting, although I have read through the few posts on this new thread!!

Waving hi to Kathy and Annette.. sounds like you are both doing great! Looking forward to getting back in the groove with you both!! :shake::shake:

AnnetteW 09-06-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catjrow3 (Post 16592794)
Hello girls, I am back!!

Waving hi to Kathy and Annette.. sounds like you are both doing great! Looking forward to getting back in the groove with you both!! :shake::shake:

Glad you are back and ready to jump back in on plan. We all know it's difficult that first week, so if you need support, let us know.

I'm looking that last 10 lbs straight in the eye right now...anything after that is vanity pounds.

catjrow3 09-06-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteW (Post 16593194)
Glad you are back and ready to jump back in on plan. We all know it's difficult that first week, so if you need support, let us know.

I'm looking that last 10 lbs straight in the eye right now...anything after that is vanity pounds.

WEll, I wish I was up to facing vanity pounds!! Long road ahead, but still giving it a good go. Today I have accomplished my goals of exercise and am still on track with 0% carbs for the day. Hoping to finish the second day strong!! Thanks for the good wishes and yeah you!! You are doing great!! :jumpjoy::high5:

AnnetteW 09-06-2013 05:23 PM

Well, I've gone 4.5 months on Atkins/NK and today was my first splurge, and it was a doozy. And I chose to do it, so I'm going to be testing my blood sugar this evening quite a few times and I do expect to be out of ketosis by morning.

I do not know exactly what to expect right now though.

We went to an Italian buffet which has delicious food. I had lots of caesar salad, chicken, panfried fish, rice balls, and lava cake, cream puffs and sweetened cream sauce (for the desserts.) No breads or pasta.

So......I will see what happens.

So far I actually feel fine. I tried not to overeat, though of course it is still "overeating" in that situation.

DebbyCDA 09-06-2013 05:43 PM

Hearing several good reports!! Keep it up! Congrats!:jumpjoy:

Annette: A planned splurge can be a good thing, and sounds like you had a yummmmmy one! :P

his has been a crazy busy, mentally stressful week. I've kept true to the plan, but today I did have a few spoonfuls (total about 1/2 cup) of a creamy chicken and wild rice soup, along with a salad with chopped egg and ranch dressing. Mainly tried to just eat the chicken out of it, but it was a decent soup, so I had more than I intended. When I was able to enter it into the CronOMeter, it just about doubled my carbs. eeek! We'll see what tomorrow's ketostick shows.... but I have been in 'large' on the ketosticks for the last three days so I'm praying i've got some wiggle room. :)

As far as this weekend, working all day Sat but Sun is up in the air.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! HUGS!! :hugs:

AnnetteW 09-07-2013 05:32 AM

I'm truly confused. Expected to be out of ketosis, but no, urine showed mod/large and blood ketones measured at 1.4. Maybe I'm well adapted right now, and one meal won't hurt. Scale was up 2 lbs today (carbs and their water retention) and blood sugar not good at all, which I did expect, and now proved to myself yet again. I need to eat low carb to control my blood sugar, and that will have to be my goal when I'm in maintenance more than anything else.

Plan for the weekend, to be on track, not go bezerk and try to right all wrongs, just go back to where I was before.

I'll test blood ketones again tomorrow, out of curiosity.

I did just post my rambles in my Journal

April04 09-07-2013 05:50 AM

Hi ladies!

I've been away with little access to a computer. So, I've tried catching up on the boards. It seems like September will be more routing for me, and many others with less travel, etc. I decided that for August I'd be happy to not lose, as long as I didn't gain. But I'm back in losing mode for September. Looks like alll of you are heading in the right direction, with losses or learning from our experiences to get to where we want to be.

Annette,
I'm so happy to see that your planned splurge didn't set you back. I know that eventually I, like you, wouldlike to entertain some occasional food off plan and it's nice to know about your experience.

In the five months that I've been NK the only off plan food I've had was sugar free candy, which knocked me out of ketosis, and sent my blood sugar over 100 (a first during my NK experience). So no more SF candy for me!

Not sure how many of you test urine ketones (I know they have a bad reputation on these boards). But, They have always been accurate for me. Anyway...I always test High, with the dark maroon. But midsummer they started being pale pink, or small. I bought a new pack thinking they were expired. I tried drinking less water to see if it was my hydration, but still pale pink. Could this be because I'm five months keto-adapted? Any one have any insight into this? My carbs are always less than 5, and are usually from an egg, or something like that. Thanks for any insight, and hope you all have a great weekend!

catjrow3 09-07-2013 09:22 AM

Annette, well glad you were still in ketosis, would be good if one meal did not kick you out.

Day 2 down for me, 2% carbs/23% protein and 75% fat. Not bad, lots of exercise too. Trying to think of things in single days and not long term goals, otherwise, I go off the rails!!

Dropping some water weight from the carb fest, but still a long ways to go... (sigh) I am such a self sabatoger. Hope that is done for a while!!

Missing my salads again already and only on the start of day 3.... hard to do just meat and fat... :cry::dunno:

Okay time for some Turbo Fire... have a great day girls!!