Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennipolo View Post
I see a lot of you shying away from peanut butter. Can I ask why? I usually get all natural or fresh made from the health store.

Have a great day
My thinking is that p-butter is a bit high in calories/carbs for me. I seem to recall that the peanut is actually a legume not a nut. I do like like peanuts (and most nuts and seeds), I avoid because they are a trigger for me and I overeat them. I do eat small amounts of seeds, but I won't be adding nuts back until I lose another 20 lbs, if then. I sometimes indulge in a bit of almond flour, in a fat bomb for example, or a bit of almond milk, but mostly not.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I do not eat any legumes (including peanuts) because of the lectins they contain.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Personally I'm just not a big peanut butter fan. Since being low-carb I don't go out of my way to eat legumes, but I did have a few beans the other night. I will also eat dal (Indian red lentil dish) when that might come up. Gosh, I love that and make a great dal.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

I'm going to a wonderful potluck dinner tonight and I can't wait.

It's the annual Fish Fry from my dance group, and this is honestly the best fried fish I have ever had in my ENTIRE life. So you can guess, I WILL be eating the fish.

For our share of the potluck I made a very superdelicious Tartar sauce with my yummy homemade mayo. It's divine...totally and absolutely heavenly.

I also made an antipasto salad, but used blanched cauliflower instead of pasta, along with tomatoes, salami, smoked turkey, provolone, olives, a lovely oil/vinegar dressing with basil from our garden.

I can splurge on all the low carb goodies....and some fish (with a bit of cornmeal batter).

Dinner will still be fairly low in carbs.

Can you tell that I'm so excited to eat!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
My thinking is that p-butter is a bit high in calories/carbs for me. I seem to recall that the peanut is actually a legume not a nut. I do like like peanuts (and most nuts and seeds), I avoid because they are a trigger for me and I overeat them.
What she said. I love peanut butter, but I can never stop at just 1 TB, so it's better to not start. :/ YMMV.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Annette, I guess you started early for Halloween, eh?

I'm having a good week so far, despite way too much time seated in front of the computer. I had a whoosh today, and I'm not sure whether to attribute it to having a Carb Nite. In any case, things are moving again.

I get the interesting privilege of introducing a friend to low-carbing tomorrow. She's in her early 40s and a newly-diagnosed diabetic who just can't get her blood sugars under control. I've turned into a bit of a low-carb-evangelist...I think everyone should try it! Anyway, we're having her over for a low carb lunch tomorrow, so she can wrap her head around the basics and see that she can still eat well.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

MerryKate, that's a pretty cool thing you're doing. Let us know how the lunch turns out. Your friend has a lot of learning ahead of her. Hopefully her doctor is also supportive of a low carb lifestyle.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

I bought a new book yesterday and started reading in the afternoon, out on the patio, in the warm sunshine, with my glass of iced tea (oops, it was wine actually...the things we allow ourselves to forget) with the dog playing.

The book...."Mastering Leptin" by Byron Richards. (Kindles are awesome)

So far, so good. It has 5 specific things you need to do, that's where I'm still reading. Eat only 3 meals a day (no snacks) w/ 5 hour intervals between meals, protein, etc.

I had been working on skipping breakfast to shave off some calories and it's not necessarily working at this point. I've always been a breakfast eater so I'll go back to that for now.

My problem is my gap between breakfast and lunch is too long and I do get hungry, even though I totally feel ketoadapted. I need to bring my blood glucose meter with me today and test every hour, that would be a good idea. If I do start to go hypo, I will at least know, and I will have almonds with me, just in case.

And I have to stop with the wine already. I get hooked so easily, and it's just such a bad habit. None in the house and I won't go buy any.

My blood sugar is up this morning, that frustrates me. I want to lose this weight, but I don't want to struggle or restrict too much. I've also not been exercising, which I need to do. I don't know why I've been so lazy, the weather is wonderful. But I come home from work and would rather knit than go for a walk. I'll walk today, after lunch, and it's also dance night.

I'll keep you informed if I think the new book is of any use to us.

Any interest in book discussion in the NK forum? I've enjoyed our discussion based on the Jimmy Moore #25 podcast.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

I tried the leptin reset a year or so ago. Not from the book you mentioned, but from Dr. Kruse's site.

Long story short, it did not work for me. I was told to eat no less than 50g of protein just for breakfast, and after three weeks, I had gained body fat and lost lean mass.

I gave it up and went back to regular low carb.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Rebecca, this is definitely not the Leptin Reset diet you mentioned. I've read about that one too, and I think I tried it one day and was ready to vomit after eating that much protein for breakfast.

Will keep you all informed.

I'm eating my regular breakfast right now, eggs with butter (coffee/cream).

My coffee maker actually broke over the night and I ended up drinking my husband's real coffee (I drink decaf)

After 3 cups of regular, I'm going to be zinging all morning. Hopefully I don't crash.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

What are the main differences between the leptin reset you are doing and the one that Kruse recommends? He says to do this:

A. Never snack at all. This is meant initially and forever. Snacking completely stresses the liver’s metabolism and is just not recommended. Your liver needs to relearn how to use gluconeogenesis normally again when you sleep and awake. Snacking just destroys timing and circadian clocks that work in unison with Leptin.

B. Try to eat three meals per day initially, but as your hunger and cravings fade, you can adapt to two meals per day.

C. Try to eat breakfast as early as possible from rising.

D. Do not work out before or after breakfast.

E. Try to allow 4-5 hours between dinner and bedtime.

F. If you decide to incorporate working out, do it after 5 PM.

G. Within an hour of sunset try to make your surroundings as dark as possible.

H. If you have trouble falling asleep, I suggest 3-5 minutes of body weight exercises right before bed (push ups or air squats are fine). Avoid this if your PM cortisol are high.

I. If you're inclined to, try becoming mindful when you first lay down. I use transcendental meditation techniques to help me clear my mind and concentrate on improving my thinking. (Optional, but is awesome if your PM cortisol are high)

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #192
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ncbookseller
Stats: 164/160.5/137
WOE: NK
Start Date: 01/04/2014
Low protein experiment

Some on the NK forum may have read that I am trying an unweighed, unmeasured attempt at NK for weight loss. Basically, I freely eat veggies and fat but limit protein to a "hand-sized" portion 3 times a day. It's much less protein than I have been having, and more fat. I still have artificial sweeteners. So, the results of the first week are:

ON PLAN: Ate out twice but was able to assemble meals similar to what I had been having - a salad with small amount of meat and lots of dressing.
OFF PLAN: Several alcoholic drinks over the weekend (vodka + soda + sweetener)
START WEIGHT: 166.5
END WEIGHT: 165

Nothing great, but at least it didn't go up. I have been thinking, though. I know that I am burning fat because when I am in ketosis, my legs get a characteristic jumpy energy at night that turns into cramps if I don't get enough potassium and magnesium. However, I am feeding myself large amounts of fat, so there is plenty of fuel without resorting to burning much body fat.

On the other hand, if I do a low fat version (with low carb and low protein), my metabolism slows down. I am cold, drained of energy, foggy, etc. Too long on this sort of plan, and I have to drop calories lower and lower to lose weight. Eventually, I get to a place where my hunger and body weight are battling around 1000 to 1200 calories a day. This means I am constantly dieting to barely maintain. Not a place I want to be.

I am mostly happy with this way of eating, although I would prefer more protein. I'm wondering if I stick with this plan for a month or so, then do low-fat in 2 week stints, if I could keep the fire burning but only "diet" for 2 weeks at a time.

Anyway, I'm looking at starting the experiment in a few weeks. Next week I am at a research conference at Cold Spring Harbor, where all meals will be provided. I have been told there are no restaurants or other options, so that sucks. I requested gluten-free, but low carb was not an option. We'll see how it goes. The week after that I will continue HFLC with 45-60 g protein a day, then I will do a 1-2 week attempt at raising protein (100g) and cutting fat. Then back to LCHF.

Wish me luck!
ncbookseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
What are the main differences between the leptin reset you are doing and the one that Kruse recommends? He says to do this:

A. Never snack at all. This is meant initially and forever. Snacking completely stresses the liver’s metabolism and is just not recommended. Your liver needs to relearn how to use gluconeogenesis normally again when you sleep and awake. Snacking just destroys timing and circadian clocks that work in unison with Leptin.

B. Try to eat three meals per day initially, but as your hunger and cravings fade, you can adapt to two meals per day.

C. Try to eat breakfast as early as possible from rising.

D. Do not work out before or after breakfast.

E. Try to allow 4-5 hours between dinner and bedtime.

F. If you decide to incorporate working out, do it after 5 PM.

G. Within an hour of sunset try to make your surroundings as dark as possible.

H. If you have trouble falling asleep, I suggest 3-5 minutes of body weight exercises right before bed (push ups or air squats are fine). Avoid this if your PM cortisol are high.

I. If you're inclined to, try becoming mindful when you first lay down. I use transcendental meditation techniques to help me clear my mind and concentrate on improving my thinking. (Optional, but is awesome if your PM cortisol are high)
Here are the 5 basic rules (I haven't gotten far in the book):
1. Never eat after dinner. Finish eating dinner at least three hours before bed.
2. Eat three meals a day. Allow 5-6 hours between meals. Do not snack!
3. Do not eat large meals. Finish a meal when you are slightly less than full.
4. Eat a high protein breakfast.
5. Reduce the amount of carbs eaten.

They are pretty simple and basic. I can't always get 5 hours between meals, due to my work schedule, I eat lunch late and sometimes need to eat dinner a bit earlier (dance night...like tonight).

I tracked my blood sugar every hour this morning, and when I felt like crap, it was in the 70's, but it went back up to 83, and 85 for the next 2 hours, and I survived. I guess my liver did what it's supposed to do and kicked out some glucose. Kinda of cool.

I just tend to snack, little things to tide me over, and I'm often not hungry for dinner cause I've snacked too much.

Tonight dinner was delicious, because I was actually hungry...and lunch was divine because I was famished.

Hmmm....food tasting so wonderful is nice.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

From what you just shared, it seems like the two plans are the same. Do you see a difference that I am missing?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I tried the leptin reset a year (snip)...after three weeks, I had gained body fat and lost lean mass.
Just out of curiosity, how do you know you lost lean mass? Is there any chance the weight gain was from muscle from all the protein?

I've always been a bit skeptical of the leptin reset, mostly because of the high levels of protein in the diet. It probably works better for men, who it seems can tolerate a higher protein intake. OTOH, the early to bed, early to rise, big breakfast and no snacks sounds a lot like my grandparents' way of living, and their generation didn't have the alarming obesity levels we have today.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you know you lost lean mass? Is there any chance the weight gain was from muscle from all the protein?

I've always been a bit skeptical of the leptin reset, mostly because of the high levels of protein in the diet. It probably works better for men, who it seems can tolerate a higher protein intake. OTOH, the early to bed, early to rise, big breakfast and no snacks sounds a lot like my grandparents' way of living, and their generation didn't have the alarming obesity levels we have today.
I measure my body fat using the US Navy calculation. I have tested it against the Bod Pod and the DEXA, and for me, it was very accurate.

Based on the measurements of my neck, waist and hips, I was gaining body fat and losing lean mass. In other words, my body was getting fatter while I was doing the leptin reset.

Doing NK JUDDD, my measurements are going down even while my weight is hardly going down at all.