Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #151
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
It was a swift fall from grace for me today. I was in ketosis, and on a great losing streak when this sinus infection reared it's ugly head. Yesterday and today my appetite was larger than normal, not sure if it was the bug I was fighting, or the fact that I bought nuts (which I never buy) giving me cravings.

Yesterday my keto-sticks were maroon and tonight they are white.

My only non-plan food was sunflower seeds and macadamia nuts. But at this point I might as well have had donuts and ice cream. Ugh!
I am right there with you! today started off great. I have been on a fast fat for a few days. It has been tough, but doable. More mental than anything. Then this evening, I started making dinner for myself. There was a box of mini donuts for the kids. I ate one! I don't know what I was thinking. It was all over after that. I don't know how many I ate. I am sooooo mad at myself. I have had a few minor slip ups since starting NK but nothing like this.

I weigh in and have measurements taken on Thursday, which makes it that much worse. I guess there is nothing I can do now. So I need to get back on track tomorrow and keep going.

Any suggestions/tips for getting back on track after a major slip up? Go back to fast fat or regular diet? Should I try and cut back calories to compensate?
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
So frustrating, right?!?!

I'm going right back on plan, and not limiting calories, or else I could end up slipping up again.

The FF would ensure you stay planted in ketosis. I did a 5 day FF then kept protein pretty low for the two days following, so I can't FF, I'd like to keep my LBM.

I hope you slip right back into ketosis!
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Quote:
It was a swift fall from grace for me today. I was in ketosis, and on a great losing streak when this sinus infection reared it's ugly head. Yesterday and today my appetite was larger than normal, not sure if it was the bug I was fighting, or the fact that I bought nuts (which I never buy) giving me cravings.

Yesterday my keto-sticks were maroon and tonight they are white.

My only non-plan food was sunflower seeds and macadamia nuts. But at this point I might as well have had donuts and ice cream. Ugh!
I'm not sure I'm agreeing with you here. We all know that ketostix are not "gospel." Are you testing blood ketones?

On Saturday I ate a pizza for lunch, not just one slice, but a full smallish/single serve (more like serves two) pizza. I did not go out of ketosis, by my blood ketones meter. I did not test urine ketones (out of those stix.)

It was one meal and I went right back on plan.

I do know everyone is different. But maybe it's not as easy to go out of ketosis as we all believe. Or maybe it depends on how long you've been in that state. I still have had very few "cheats" these past 5 months, I can still count them on 1 hand, and never more than 1 meal at a time.

Just get back on plan. Don't play silly games. Eat fats and protein, a few veggies...if it takes 2 days vs 3 doesn't really matter.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

That all didn't necessarily come out right.

Just do what you know is right to get back on plan. You DO know what to do.

You might not actually be out of ketosis. Does it really matter? That is what I'm starting to wonder about.

But cravings are another issue. Be sure to eat enough to cover those cravings, eat the fat you need, just get past the few days that might cause problems...get back on plan.

Continue to post what's going on. We are all learning from one another.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Annette, I appreciate your support!

I know what your saying with, does it really matter, and I fully agree. I think I was frustrated with myself for making bad choices, and not even delicious ones at that. I should have gone for the pumpkin donuts, not the sunflower seeds. Haha!

The only time I've fallen out of ketosis in the past 6 months was due to a sugar free chocolate binge. Again, not really worth it. And then to be sick on top of it, I'm really just having a pity party for myself.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you Annette, I appreciate your support!

I know what your saying with, does it really matter, and I fully agree. I think I was frustrated with myself for making bad choices, and not even delicious ones at that. I should have gone for the pumpkin donuts, not the sunflower seeds. Haha!

The only time I've fallen out of ketosis in the past 6 months was due to a sugar free chocolate binge. Again, not really worth it. And then to be sick on top of it, I'm really just having a pity party for myself.
April, what I'm curious to know is when you went out of ketosis from the sugar free chocolate, did you test that by blood ketones or urine? And if by blood ketones, did you think you were keto-adapted at that point, was it early in your "transition" still? How long did it take to get back in ketosis? And were those chocolates the only thing off plan that you ate?

They really are bad for us, aren't they? I bought some once, thinking I'd just eat 1 for a treat. nope, the whole bag got devoured, and my body didn't like them at all, and yes, my blood sugar spiked.

I do okay with a little artificial sweetner, just not all that malitol and whatever.

I guess I'm curious about this whole "in and out of ketosis" thing. That phrase gets thrown around the low carb forums a lot, and I think we all have to determine what it means for our own bodies. But unless we test it properly (blood meter) do we really know? And how accurate is the blood meter in the first place, and are the numbers gospel.

That bottom number of 0.5, does it mean the same thing for a smallish woman or a biggish man? Why does one person show a 4 or a 5, when someone else never sees higher than a 2.2? We can put people on the same exact diet and numbers will be so much different. That's why I'm wondering what it all means exactly.

I'm hanging out quite comfortably with little effort in the range around 1.0 - 2.0. Sometimes higher (high was 3.3) sometimes lower (0.7). It feels quite natural to me, a good solid place to be.

I probably should try to push it for a few days again, and get that number up, but when it WAS higher, I wasn't necessarily losing weight any differently. I still need a restriction of calories to see the noticeable drop. I think my current state shows the unnoticeable drop, the 1 lb a month sort of loss, nothing we like to see, but reality is, the weight is moving slowly.

I'm rambling today....basically I'm wondering if I should order more blood ketones sticks....lol.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

So much uncertainty right, Annette!

I can relate. I'm constantly seeking out numbers and data and experience to go along with my experience or to help me improve on my WOE.

I haven't done blood ketones. I do use the keto sticks, and they have always been accurate for me. I also use how I feel and my blood glucose to see what effect foods are having on my BG levels.

I have kept a very strict daily log since April 4, 2013(close to 6 months), and have logged my weight, BG, ketostick reading and logged all of my food/water and my tracker logs every step I take, every move I make.

During the past six months I have not had a single cheat meal, although I had nightmares in the beginning that I did.

The items I've eaten that I wish I hadn't are as follows:
1. Summer: I ate sugar free chocolates, a box
2. Two weeks ago: I had 1 T. peanut butter and 1 T. of Hershey's Syrup.
3. Yesterday: seeds and nuts.

I believe I was firmly planted in ketosis for all three of these "cheats". And I don't think I was knocked out, I just think my blood sugar spiked and it wasn't a good experience for my body. With the first two I actually had trouble feeling full, and keeping my appetite at bay. So, I did a meat, egg and fat fast to get myself back on track.

For the record, I was up only .5 lbs this AM after the seed/nut incident. So I believe it was from the salt/water.

I wish I had more answers on the ketosis thing, Annette. I think when the scale isn't moving we over analyze and try to get confirmation that the hard work and discipline we're putting in is paying off. And, I think because you are so close to your goal, it'll take longer for the ounces to drop, but they will.

I was getting frustrated over the summer when my weight was only dropping by about 5 lbs per month. Then last week I did a FF and 6 lbs just fell off and I've regained my appetite suppression. I think it was mostly because of lowering my protein and upping my fat, I am remembering how good this WOE is. I realize that over the summer I went a little up on the protein and down on the fat to "fit in" with family/friends meals. So, I'm back and it feels soo good

P L A N, for Success!

Nothing is impossible, the word tells you itself:

I'm possible.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #158
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moss11
Hi Ladies
Just wondering do some of you eat to appetite on this plan or do you still count calories? I have been doing 75%f 20%p and 5%c this past few weeks having increased the fat from 65%. I am discovering how much I love fat and how it keeps my binging under control however I can easily pack away 1800-1900 calories a day. I am reasonably active! Wondering if moving up to your plan will reduce my appetite and hopefully reduce calories as I haven't lost anything for around 5 weeks, still like to lose a further stone! I am post menopausal. Any thoughts?
Moss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Ann, for such a nice detailed answer to my questions. That's exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

Obviously everyone "cheats" (and I use that word to mean 'off-plan' or just not their own best choices) affects each of us differently.

Though I have to be strict with my carbs so my blood sugar stays low, I don't have to over restrict to stay in ketosis. They are two separate things.

And the blood sugar is more important, so I will continue to focus on that.

It's sure nice to lose weight (even though it's very slow right now) and just eat food.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss11 View Post
Hi Ladies
Just wondering do some of you eat to appetite on this plan or do you still count calories? I have been doing 75%f 20%p and 5%c this past few weeks having increased the fat from 65%. I am discovering how much I love fat and how it keeps my binging under control however I can easily pack away 1800-1900 calories a day. I am reasonably active! Wondering if moving up to your plan will reduce my appetite and hopefully reduce calories as I haven't lost anything for around 5 weeks, still like to lose a further stone! I am post menopausal. Any thoughts?
I'm currently eating to appetite and the amounts I eat vary each day. I'm not tracking at all. I'm working really hard right now to go with my hunger, and this is something totally new to me.

For instance, I've always eaten breakfast and a large one at that. The longer I do low carb, the less hunger I have in the morning. On days I've been home from work, or weekends, I've gone without breakfast or just pushed it back till hungry. This is the first week I'm going to work without breakfast, and it's a bit scary. But I'm also liking it.

I have coffee and HWC before work (3 cups decaf and probably about 3-4T of cream.) I bring a snack along for when I need it. Today was 2 oz of cheese, which I ate around 10:30 AM. I started to feel hungry around 9:30.

I got home and had lunch around 1:30 and wasn't starving. Weird.

I ate a smallish dinner also.

I will do this all week and see what my weight does, I definitely feels smaller after 2 days already, because I am restricting even though I'm not tracking it.

Or I might be real hungry tomorow...I don't know yet.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #161
Junior LCF Member

I have also found that I am not hungry in the morning since eating low carb. I have also found that when I do get hungry, I just feel....well hungry. No headaches and light headedness and moodiness I would get before with eating a high carb/high sugar/high processed food diet. I am sure this is because my blood sugar has stabilized.

On a side note according to the scale this morning I had only gained .4lb after my major food mishap yesterday. Although when I woke up I was craving sugar. I have had to battle the cravings all day today. I very strongly feel that sugar addiction is a very real thing. I hope the cravings are not as bad tomorrow. But I have done my best today to try and not beat myself up over yesterday and just get back on track. The evenings are always the hardest for me.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #162
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much AnnetteW and Stawalke for your replies. That's really interesting and actually I'm not that hungry in the morning,but always think I should ( get a good breakfast in me) just in case! It's also still quite a lonely journey this way of eating, most of my acquaintances would be shocked at the percentages I follow, so it's nice to have some endorsements! Eating to appetite and not putting on weight is a completely new concept, never happened in over 40 years so that is delight even if I am not losing at the moment. As someone said earlier we are all finding our way forward! Patience might be in order at the moment!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stawalke View Post
On a side note according to the scale this morning I had only gained .4lb after my major food mishap yesterday. Although when I woke up I was craving sugar.
In my experience, the day after a cheat usually looks ok on the scale, but the weight gain comes 2 days afterwards. :/ Hope you're different from me...it's bad timing for your weigh-in. Is the weigh-in something you're doing on on your own, or through a program?
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:33 AM   #164
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
In my experience, the day after a cheat usually looks ok on the scale, but the weight gain comes 2 days afterwards. :/ Hope you're different from me...it's bad timing for your weigh-in. Is the weigh-in something you're doing on on your own, or through a program?
I was the same weight this morning. I'm crossing my fingers that somehow I get through this without a major weight gain. I am seeing a personal trainer and we weigh in once a month and take measurements. I already know my weight, but I am very interested to know my measurements.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
I am seeing a personal trainer and we weigh in once a month and take measurements. I already know my weight, but I am very interested to know my measurements.
Why not keep track of your own measurements at home?
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Ladies

I eat to satisfy my hunger, just as Annette and Stawalke said. However, I do track all of my food for F/P/C, and it tracks calories as well, I just never limit calories. My calories usually fall between 800 and 1500, those are extremes, I'd say 1300 is an average.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
Quote:
Hi Ladies
I CANNOT eat to appetite, and never have been able to without gaining weight. I have to track every stupid bite of food that goes into my mouth. (Not bitter much, eh?)

I found that if I ate too much fat, I would gain weight.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
I CANNOT eat to appetite, and never have been able to without gaining weight. I have to track every stupid bite of food that goes into my mouth. (Not bitter much, eh?)

I found that if I ate too much fat, I would gain weight.
I have the same experience
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Hi Ladies
I don't really track calories, but I do keep track of protein grams and carb grams. I do keep track of hunger signals as well. One thing that I have found is I do not get that hungry. When I was eating high carb, I would get so hungry, I could eat my arm. Now, I can go many hours without eating. I will be hungry, but not starving. I really love how I feel on this WOE.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
I don't really track calories, but I do keep track of protein grams and carb grams. I do keep track of hunger signals as well. One thing that I have found is I do not get that hungry. When I was eating high carb, I would get so hungry, I could eat my arm. Now, I can go many hours without eating. I will be hungry, but not starving. I really love how I feel on this WOE.
Carolyn
Ditto!

Carolyn said exactly how I feel. I could eat, but never feel like I "have to" eat.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #171
Junior LCF Member

Totally agree, eating this way makes hunger and food decisions much more within our control. High carb/low fat had me ravenous, bad tempered and usually ended in out of control binging! Don't ever want to go back there! I do track calories and macros daily, would find it easy to go over on the fat, protein very easily if I didn't!
I am sorry that some of you can't eat to appetite without gaining, that is very restrictive and disheartening to know once you get 'there' you still won't be able to relax a bit!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
I was the same weight this morning. I'm crossing my fingers that somehow I get through this without a major weight gain
Yay! I'm glad you're not seeing any long-term weight gain from one off day. Helps to get right back on plan, doesn't it?
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #173
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Yay! I'm glad you're not seeing any long-term weight gain from one off day. Helps to get right back on plan, doesn't it?
Yes it does!! I am glad the one time mishap didn't turn into weeks of binging. I have done that before!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

I got to see a new low on the scale this morning, both weight and body fat. I think skipping breakfast has helped a lot (for now at least). It's helping me drop a few calories from my daily menu. I'm going to keep working on this for a few more days.

Just drinking my coffee with HWC right now, and added a teaspoon of CO for a bit more oil. Today is my day home from work and I have lots of little chores and errands to run. I will try to keep the fat intake up. I do have some smoked salmon and arugula that I want to have for lunch, yum yum.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #175
Junior LCF Member

Annette a new low is so exciting! Stawalke isn't it strange how our brains work that we allow one little mistake to convince us we are failures and might as well thoroughly punish ourselves by stuffing our face!!!
I am also trying the idea of skipping breakfast, well a BPC instead of eggs and bacon. That has cut cals by about 200, easy when go out to work but not sure how I will get on when it's a home day!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
I got to see a new low on the scale this morning, both weight and body fat. I think skipping breakfast has helped a lot (for now at least). It's helping me drop a few calories from my daily menu. I'm going to keep working on this for a few more days.

Just drinking my coffee with HWC right now, and added a teaspoon of CO for a bit more oil. Today is my day home from work and I have lots of little chores and errands to run. I will try to keep the fat intake up. I do have some smoked salmon and arugula that I want to have for lunch, yum yum.

Way to go on the new low, Annette!!!

I like the idea of skipping breakfast too, I look at it like a little bit of IF, which people have good results with.

I was doing my numbers last night, and they were really low for calories and fat and I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I realized, I forgot to have CO in my morning coffee. The fat I drink is a little less memorable!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #177
Junior LCF Member

I never eat breakfast either. Although I consider my bpc my liquid breakfast. It normally keeps me full most of the day. I still have a tendency to consume most of my food in the evening. I don't know if that is a good thing/bad thing or if it doesn't matter.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I never eat breakfast either. Although I consider my bpc my liquid breakfast. It normally keeps me full most of the day. I still have a tendency to consume most of my food in the evening. I don't know if that is a good thing/bad thing or if it doesn't matter.
I tried BPC for breakfast but it did not keep me satisfied any longer than a couple cups of coffee with cream. I'm starting to feel hunger by 9:30 or 10:30.

But, I'm going to keep at it. Heck a few days a week is still a bit of a calorie restriction.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:30 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/240/150-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 8/19/2014
Good morning. Today is a travel day for me so I'll be nuking a couple of eggs in a cup with butter for breakfast, nuking a skinny muffin/minute mufin for lunch and taking raw pecans on the plane. Dinner will be pizza for the fam and turkey mignon for me with some tasty fat on it and my green beans. Maybe a fat bomb for a treat.

I see a lot of you shying away from peanut butter. Can I ask why? I usually get all natural or fresh made from the health store.

Have a great day
nill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/240/150-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 8/19/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennipolo View Post
Good morning. Today is a travel day for me so I'll be nuking a couple of eggs in a cup with butter for breakfast, nuking a skinny muffin/minute mufin for lunch and taking raw pecans on the plane. Dinner will be pizza for the fam and turkey mignon for me with some tasty fat on it and my green beans. Maybe a fat bomb for a treat.

I see a lot of you shying away from peanut butter. Can I ask why? I usually get all natural or fresh made from the health store.

Have a great day
So ixnay on the muffin hay. I only had 2 eggs. I thought I had three. I will need to go on a cheese treasure hunt at the airport.
nill4me is offline   Reply With Quote