Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Selahgal
Stats: 243/240.5/140
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 8/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnetteW View Post
Well......yea.......it might lessen the impact.

But would you do that with regular white sugar (sugar is sugar)?

If you don't want to throw it away, just wrap it all up nicely in a big ziplock bag and hide it away for now.

Don't eat it, you don't need it, it's not good for you...it's sugar, and you are eating a low carb diet now and not eating sugar.

Expensive stuff like that definitely makes me feel guilty too.

Just use your artificial sweetener blend for now, work on perfecting it, and using it less and less too. We want to do this right, and not be dependent on the evil white stuff (aka sugar, no matter the shade),
I suppose you're right. Drat.
Selahgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Marci, sorry for the tough love. Let us know how it goes.

So in my journal I complained about leg cramps recently and today I bought new magnesium, had lots of salt and extra water and potassium. I'm about to hit the sack and hopefully no cramping tonight.

Tomorrow is my day off, and I'm getting my hair done, and since it feels like Fall, I'm going back to my brown or red hair (don't know)...I'm blonde right now. So not meant to be a blonde.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: April04
Stats: 216/190/150
WOE: NK 80/15/5
Start Date: April 4, 2013
Quote:
Marci, sorry for the tough love. Let us know how it goes.

So in my journal I complained about leg cramps recently and today I bought new magnesium, had lots of salt and extra water and potassium. I'm about to hit the sack and hopefully no cramping tonight.

Tomorrow is my day off, and I'm getting my hair done, and since it feels like Fall, I'm going back to my brown or red hair (don't know)...I'm blonde right now. So not meant to be a blonde.
Sounds lime fun. You must update with photos of the color change!

I hope the electrolytes help with the leg cramps. I've been having the same problem becuase I'm FFing. The Potassium and magnesium helped me yesterday. I hope your sleep was cramp free.
April04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by April04 View Post
Sounds lime fun. You must update with photos of the color change!

I hope the electrolytes help with the leg cramps. I've been having the same problem becuase I'm FFing. The Potassium and magnesium helped me yesterday. I hope your sleep was cramp free.
Sleep was cramp free, but I slept like crap. This is getting old. But at least no cramping. I'm definitely going to pay attention to this for at least the next week (will continue with the supps) but it's easy to forget the bad things when they get better, and I might forget I was having the problem.

My weight was up though from the sodium and though I know it's just water weight, it still slaps you a bit. Just water, just water.....it will flush out after a few days. I don't like forcing sodium, so I think I'll just work on using better salts.

Maybe I'll post a before/after photo.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sleep was cramp free, but I slept like crap. This is getting old. But at least no cramping. I'm definitely going to pay attention to this for at least the next week (will continue with the supps) but it's easy to forget the bad things when they get better, and I might forget I was having the problem.

My weight was up though from the sodium and though I know it's just water weight, it still slaps you a bit. Just water, just water.....it will flush out after a few days. I don't like forcing sodium, so I think I'll just work on using better salts.

Maybe I'll post a before/after photo.
I love my pink Himalayan salt. I never use refined white salt any more. I don't even use 'sea salt' since a lot of them are junk too, at least the ones in the stores.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #126
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: August 2013
saw my personal trainer today. I hate every second I am there but feel great afterwards. I weigh in next week and have my measurements taken. Going to try and eat really clean this week. No splenda. Lots of fat!

My trainer also suggested that I don't weigh myself but once a month when he weighs me in. I don't know if I can do that. I know I am too obsessive about the scale....but going an entire month?!? How often do you guys weigh?
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
Start Date: March 2009
I weigh every day, in the morning after the bathroom and before eating. I also take my measurements every morning so that I can track my body fat using the Navy body fat calculation. I measure my neck, bust, waist, belly, hips, thigh and calf.

It sound like a lot, but the whole process takes less than five minutes, if not less than that. I like keeping my charts so I can see my measurements going down.

By taking my measurements instead of just scale weight, I can see whether I am losing fat or muscle.

Maybe you would like to join some of us here.

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
RebeccaLatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stawalke View Post
saw my personal trainer today. I hate every second I am there but feel great afterwards. I weigh in next week and have my measurements taken. Going to try and eat really clean this week. No splenda. Lots of fat!

My trainer also suggested that I don't weigh myself but once a month when he weighs me in. I don't know if I can do that. I know I am too obsessive about the scale....but going an entire month?!? How often do you guys weigh?
Once a month? I could never! I've gone 48 hours, but that was really hard. I weigh every AM, knowing I have fluctuations, and only focus on the number each Thursday.

Good for you for seeing the personal trainer
Old 09-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stawalke View Post

I weigh myself once a week. I found when I was weighing daily I got totally OCD about it!

What do you use for sweetener?
Old 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

I know you weren't asking me, but I use only liquid Stevia.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stawalke
Stats: 240/221/135
WOE: NK
Start Date: August 2013
I generally weigh myself multiple times a day but I feel like I get a better understanding of my body and how it reacts to different foods. Which foods make me retain water, ext.

I use splenda. I bought liquid stevia but I notice an after taste with it I don't care for. I only use one pack a day in my bpc coffee and then a little when I make fat bombs.
stawalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

I have only used one brand of Stevia, but others have said that different brands taste different. Some have an aftertaste and some do not.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

I like SweetLeaf stevia the best. Their liquid drops are quite good. I like the lemondrop for iced tea. I keep telling myself when my bottle of saccharin is used up I won't buy more, but I like that in tea the best.

I don't use any little packages of anything anymore.

I'll do more experimenting with baking as my weight gets lower.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I like SweetLeaf stevia the best. Their liquid drops are quite good. I like the lemondrop for iced tea. I keep telling myself when my bottle of saccharin is used up I won't buy more, but I like that in tea the best.
The lemondrop liquid stevia is amazing in lemonade!!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

So I had a little run-in with a box of sugar-free chocolates last weekend and in typical "old me" fashion, I didn't want one chocolate, I wanted the box of chocolates...BIG MISTAKE! It messed with me, and my blood sugar for days!

I was inspired by a post to do a 5 day FF and I am so glad I did, it kept me motivated to stay strict and on plan. Today is day 5, so I'll post my weight in the AM to see how it all ended up.

I'm posting my AM weight and AM/fasting BG

FF Weigh-ins:
Day #1: 174.3 BG: 103
Day #2: 174.7 (+.4) BG: 84
Day #3: 174.3 (0) BG: 99
Day #4: 172.8 (-1.5) BG: 69
Day #5: 171.7 (-2.6) BG: 71
Day #6:

Can you believe it?! I am amazed that the BG stayed elevated for so long after the sugar-free candy. And I love how low the AM fasting number got! I am so happy with my results with this FF. It got me right back in the zone!

P L A N, for Success!

Nothing is impossible, the word tells you itself:

I'm possible.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Awesome job, April. I still have never tried the Fat Fast...I think my husband would probably de-own me. I don't know if I could sneak one in, to make it look like sort of normal eating. Or I could just say (like I usually do) just ignore me for a few days while I attempt something new and crazy.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Awesome job, April. I still have never tried the Fat Fast...I think my husband would probably de-own me. I don't know if I could sneak one in, to make it look like sort of normal eating. Or I could just say (like I usually do) just ignore me for a few days while I attempt something new and crazy.
Ha! I love that! It's sweet that your husband is aware of your eating. A few T. of CO, egg yolks, small ground beef patty, lots of chicken skin, and some brazil nuts, and if you're into dairy some cream cheese and heavy whipping cream..all normal foods

Thanks for the cheers, I'm really happy, especially about the BG, can't believe how much it improved.

And how about that photo, Annette?

Have a great weekend!
Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selahgal View Post
I weigh myself once a week. I found when I was weighing daily I got totally OCD about it!
I also weigh in everyday, and use an app on my ipod which averages my weight, and produces a 6-month chart. It helps me keep perspective, whether my weight is up or down, and the chart gives me a good idea of whether I'm on a losing trend.

Quote:
What do you use for sweetener?
I stick to sweeteners that don't cause digestive issues. I HATE maltitol, and it's in so many commercial candies that are sugar-free, so I just make my own. I make liquid splenda for daily use, and for fat bombs I combine it with monk fruit and stevia to get a good rounded sweetness. In baking a recipe which needs bulk, I combine baking splenda with truvia - the combined sweeteners give a much better result, with a stronger sweetness, so you use less overall. I could never get splenda to work on its own - it's too sweet, and somehow still missing something.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Have any of you had trouble digesting so much fat? I've been doing NK for quite a while and thought my system could handle it. However, in the past couple of weeks I've been having serious digestive problems, and it appears to be from eating so much fat. I really don't want to go off NK. Rebecca, I know you said that the fat percentage is not so important as keeping carbs and protein levels steady. How low can you go on fat without losing the satiety factor?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Have any of you had trouble digesting so much fat? I've been doing NK for quite a while and thought my system could handle it. However, in the past couple of weeks I've been having serious digestive problems, and it appears to be from eating so much fat. I really don't want to go off NK. Rebecca, I know you said that the fat percentage is not so important as keeping carbs and protein levels steady. How low can you go on fat without losing the satiety factor?
That would be a totally individual thing. How many grams of fat are you eating currently?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, today I finally got my fasting blood glucose BELOW 100 for the first time EVER!! YIPPEE!!! Happier about that than losing two pounds this week!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
That would be a totally individual thing. How many grams of fat are you eating currently?
I'm trying to keep it around 145 g, based on a keto calculator, which would put me at 77% fat, 17% protein and 6% carbs. I may try dialing it back a bit. It just strikes me as odd that this started happening out of the blue.

Selahgal, congratulations on such a great week! 2 lbs. and your fbc is below 100! NK is definitely working for you.

I just recently bought the Art and Science of Low Carb Living, and they have a really good chapter on Type II Diabetes. My mom is a diabetic and has done well on low carb (brought her A1c to under 5 after years of 7-8, and dropped her insulin to 1/3 of what she was using) but she's never eaten very low carb. Dr. Atkins encouraged diabetics to skip induction and go straight to OWL, so she's avoided getting her carbs too low. She did well for a while, but she's been stalled for the better part of a year. Well, Drs. Phinney and Volek gave several examples of patients with severe type II diabetes getting off insulin in a very short amount of time using NK. From their clinical work it's apparent diabetics can safely eat lower carb. So this weekm Mom's started keeping her carbs in the 20s and her weight is finally moving again. She's not going to rush to get off insulin entirely, but she is slowly reducing the amount she's using.

Last edited by MerryKate; 09-22-2013 at 09:26 AM..
Old 09-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yeah, today I finally got my fasting blood glucose BELOW 100 for the first time EVER!! YIPPEE!!! Happier about that than losing two pounds this week!

Yay!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

That's awesome and I totally relate. Once it's down there it's actually easier to keep it down. And you can really pay attention to what makes it go higher. I pay more attention to my FBG these days.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:34 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Looking forward to a new week. I have 2 eating out opportunities ahead of me (Friday and Saturday) so I want to be strong in my food choices all week so I can enjoy my weekend.

The weather is a lot nicer lately, so it would be in my best interest to get out there and do some walking while I can.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Anyone have any suggestions for keeping a cold at bay?

I'm on the brink of feeling awful and have double dosed my Vitamin C, green tea and taken asprin.

Any NK suggestion?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Echinacea and goldenseal does wonders for me. Not alone, the combination.
You can buy in capsules or tincture. I also up Vitamin C a bit. This works best at the very first hint of a cold coming on. It's an immune system boosting strategy, not a cold fixing thing.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jennafun
Stats: SW:136/CW:132/GW:120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I'm trying to keep it around 145 g, based on a keto calculator, which would put me at 77% fat, 17% protein and 6% carbs. I may try dialing it back a bit. It just strikes me as odd that this started happening out of the blue.

Selahgal, congratulations on such a great week! 2 lbs. and your fbc is below 100! NK is definitely working for you.

I just recently bought the Art and Science of Low Carb Living, and they have a really good chapter on Type II Diabetes. My mom is a diabetic and has done well on low carb (brought her A1c to under 5 after years of 7-8, and dropped her insulin to 1/3 of what she was using) but she's never eaten very low carb. Dr. Atkins encouraged diabetics to skip induction and go straight to OWL, so she's avoided getting her carbs too low. She did well for a while, but she's been stalled for the better part of a year. Well, Drs. Phinney and Volek gave several examples of patients with severe type II diabetes getting off insulin in a very short amount of time using NK. From their clinical work it's apparent diabetics can safely eat lower carb. So this weekm Mom's started keeping her carbs in the 20s and her weight is finally moving again. She's not going to rush to get off insulin entirely, but she is slowly reducing the amount she's using.
I'm going to try dialing down the fat too. I am beyond bloated.
Jennafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Echinacea and goldenseal does wonders for me. Not alone, the combination.
You can buy in capsules or tincture. I also up Vitamin C a bit. This works best at the very first hint of a cold coming on. It's an immune system boosting strategy, not a cold fixing thing.
Thanks Bella!

I've never tried those capsules in combination. Will head over to the health food store after work. I need more Magnesium Cirtate as well. Our Whole Foods has been out for two weeks!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

It was a swift fall from grace for me today. I was in ketosis, and on a great losing streak when this sinus infection reared it's ugly head. Yesterday and today my appetite was larger than normal, not sure if it was the bug I was fighting, or the fact that I bought nuts (which I never buy) giving me cravings.

Yesterday my keto-sticks were maroon and tonight they are white.

My only non-plan food was sunflower seeds and macadamia nuts. But at this point I might as well have had donuts and ice cream. Ugh!